behind the scenes

Cabs, Rush Hour

When it comes to hailing a cab in the metro between the hours of three and eight in the evening, only one rule applies: it’s every man for himself. For someone who doesn’t know how to drive (you laugh, but wait ’til I kill myself because I had one too many rumcolas and ended up ramming my car into a wall) and for someone who doesn’t own a car, the term ‘Rush Hour’ basically translates to “I, Helga Gabrielle Weber, am fucked; I might as well grab myself a 1-piece chicken with rice meal, a Tomato-Lettuce-Cheeseburger, and a large fries from Jollibee and head back to the condo to play more Sims 2 (which is actually the reason as to why I ended up not leaving home early enough to avoid rush hour) because there is no waaay in hell am I going to get out of Katipunan; not right now, not in the next hour, not until 9PM”.

That was the case the other day. Tonight, I did not have the liberty of flipping the evening Katipunan crowd the finger so I prepared myself for the worst, left my laptop at home, and traveled lightly (ooh, so dramatic for a twenty minute cab ride to Pasig).

I waited seven minutes for a cab outside my building (I know it was seven minutes because that’s how long it takes for me to smoke a cigarette) and nothing. I flagged down a tricycle, got off at McDonald’s, and walked down Katipunan Avenue because lawd knows I’d have better luck getting a cab there. I checked the time on my phone: a little past seven. I figured that most students must have gotten home by now and I’d have an easier time getting a cab. WRONG.

Now like I said: it’s every man (or woman) for himself (or herself) this time of the day. No acts of gentlemanliness or kindness occur when it comes to getting your ass in a cab; and really, no one expects any sort of chivalry during desperate times. What I do expect, though, is some fucking decency; some evidence that these rich college kids aren’t a bunch of assholes and fuckheads.

Or maybe I’m too mannered when it comes to certain things. Am I the only one who thinks that there’s such a thing as, uh, cab hailing etiquette? And if there isn’t, well, there should be. Nevermind that you’re dealing with strangers and people you’ll never encounter again (thus, giving you the excuse not to be nice pffft)— it’s not right to steal someone else’s cab.

So I have here a super short list called The One Thing You Should Never To Do To Your Fellow Stranded-In-The-Metro-During-Rush-Hour-Waiting-For-A-Cab Men When You’re Stranded In The Metro During Rush Hour Waiting For A Cab:

1) DO NOT HOUND SOMEONE WHO’S WAITING FOR A CAB, IN HOPES OF BEATING THEM TO THE FIRST CAB THAT SLOWS IN FRONT OF THEM. There is nothing more annoying than this, I swear. On the same note: when waiting for a cab, keep a distance of at least ten meters between you and the person in front of you. Do not give them the impression that you are itching to pounce on the next cab that merrily rolls your way— a cab that’s rightfully theirs.

I remember this time when I was running late for work and it was 5pm on a weekday on Katipunan Avenue. I was standing outside Red Ribbon, desperate for a cab when two Korean girls sneakily made their way behind me. I looked at them, shrugged them off for being weird and Korean-y, and started walking towards 7-11 (better chance of getting a cab from someone getting off at the condo building). They were tailing me, planning to steal my cab! The non-English speaking Korean nerve!!!

So I killed them.

• Reply Katy January 10, 2008 at 5:02 am

Hahahaha that’s hilarious! I never really take the cab so I’m glad I don’t have to put up with all that BS I see in movies/TV all the time. Whew!

• Reply cecelia January 10, 2008 at 7:29 am

oh, I am loving your frequent blogging!
    I really hope I wasn’t the one who convinced you to try out SIMS2 – it seams you are as obsessed as me. And that’s no good.

Where I live cab hailing mainly gets ugly in the late hours when you are drunkenly trying to find your way home – I swear girls (it’s always girls!) have absolutely no conscience when it comes to stealing other peoples cabs.
    They should do like they’ve done with illegal downloading – “you wouldn’t steal a CD in a record store” (or whatever it is) and say something like “you wouldn’t steal her handbag – stay away from her cab (and her boyfriend)”

PS aaah, 7 – the magic number (seriously – there is something magical about getting somewhere EXACTLY seven minutes before you have to be there)

shiit, I think I need to go to bed.

• Reply mara January 10, 2008 at 10:20 am

You should really get yourself published.

• Reply Pau January 10, 2008 at 10:54 am

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Chicken meal.

• Reply Christine January 10, 2008 at 11:25 am

ha ha your entry made my day. I have never personally rode in a cab or lived in a city i am i guess a small town girl that loves the city but doesn’t live in it just around it if that makes any sense at all. I can imagine from watching countless hours of sex and the city that it can at times be very frustrating and like fighting for the last piece of cake in the world. But if i ever move into the actual city (one day i swear i am) i will now be prepared thanks to this entry! love ya!

• Reply thegreatest January 10, 2008 at 3:13 pm

sheesh, that explains the two dead korean chicks I found in my trunk a coupla months ago. My csi-ness discovered tell-tale bite marks on their armpits, which upon further inspection revealed that the biter has a gap between her two front teef. Said gap might have been called “cute” had they not been deeply imbedded in korean girls’ armpits.

• Reply direk January 11, 2008 at 6:06 am

kadiri. lasang kimchi at bulgogi erk.

• Reply crisel January 10, 2008 at 3:28 pm

yeah,that happens. sh*t happens…always.

and the earlier reply’s right, it’s always the girls. most of them thinks they should be treated as a princess when infact we’re all just trying to get our way through.

• Reply Baddie January 11, 2008 at 11:40 am

YOU LIE! Everybody knows Koreans don’t die. They have kung fu magic. DUH.

• Reply alohapenny January 11, 2008 at 8:29 pm

You kill Koreans too!!

• Reply utakGAGO January 12, 2008 at 11:51 am

Good thing I rarely go home during the rush hour since I’m always drunk! Lol.

• Reply keysi January 14, 2008 at 5:41 am

i used to live in a building full of koreans. the whole place stank but there were a lot of cabs in the area.

• Reply Ade January 14, 2008 at 8:39 pm

This Helga, whatta violents.

• Reply Kenneth January 15, 2008 at 9:48 pm

Haha, so amusing to read. I never really took a cab, so I’d probably be so lost where you are.