behind the scenes

Halpz, I’m Stuck in WWW Circa 2003!

Day 2 of Dreamweaver class and this is what we’re doing:

Tables.

Now I have nothing against tables. In fact, I love tables. They’re nice to put things on and though it’s been proven that they’re not needed to properly eat a meal (because under certain circumstances— say, when you find yourself in a remote island with no electricity, no running water, and no cellular reception— your lap, one of your hands or any steady surface would do), they still make things a hell lot easier.

But seriously, who still uses tables in webdesign? And why does this goddamn school feel the need to devote four precious hours to this outdated bullshit? When we could be spending our time learning something relevant, like, I don’t know, Flash pre-loaders? CSS sprites? CSS-based navigations? Global warming? The plight of drunken elephants in India??? ANYTHING but goddamn tables!

I’ve just been PWOT-ed. I half-expected our instructor to tell us to incorporate glitter graphics and animated butterfly gifs into the site we made today.

You know what I need to do? Buy memory for my laptop.

28 Comments

• Reply Joni April 25, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Huwaat! That is so 1998. Tables should just be taught in high school. What a waste of time. Lolz.

I hope your teacher will realize that CSS is in and tables are out! :D

• Reply Tracy April 25, 2008 at 1:42 pm

Oh well, at least you learn something? Or not… :)

• Reply Ade April 25, 2008 at 2:04 pm

LOL this is like the nerdiest post I’ve seen all week. EVER.

• Reply Lene April 25, 2008 at 2:18 pm

LOL, that must really suck! I think that the most annoying part should be that the instructor thinks this is da latest shi0tz XD

• Reply Laarni April 25, 2008 at 2:50 pm

lol.

• Reply Laarni April 25, 2008 at 2:51 pm

it did not turn out!

• Reply crisel April 25, 2008 at 10:48 pm

i also hated tables back in college. it makes the website neat but i never undeerstood how it works i just make hula on the formulas. hahah! i’m so envious you’re taking classes. good luck, geeky career girl! ;p

• Reply TiFF April 26, 2008 at 2:09 am

Tables on web design?

What are those? :P

• Reply Melle April 26, 2008 at 10:53 am

ROFLMAO. Too funny.

• Reply Melle April 26, 2008 at 2:54 am

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    And some LOL’s.

“I half-expected our instructor to tell us to incorporate glitter graphics and animated butterfly gifs into the site we made today.”

Helga, if there is was ever anything you could say that would make me bust out laughing in the middle of a lecture, it was this. Oh geez, I almost died of laughter!

• Reply Tasha April 26, 2008 at 6:09 am

lol, i havent used tables since my geoshitty days back in like 2001!

• Reply Ben April 26, 2008 at 8:17 am

I hope you put your teacher straight. You know this is why when I can, I learn something on my own. That way you can investigate what works for you and more importantly, keep up to date with techniques (something that is important on the web, as I’m sure you know).

Still, there is no excuse for being years behind the times.

• Reply Britney April 27, 2008 at 12:20 am

I had a class with Dreamweaver before, and we pretty much had to do the same bullshit.

• Reply J April 27, 2008 at 2:47 am

You pwn with this post! I love that last line. And when I saw you Twitter about how you were doing tables, I was half hoping you would elaborate on how dumb it is.

I have never used Dreamweaver and it’s holding me back in web design. Is it easy to pirate and self-learn?

• Reply Katy April 27, 2008 at 3:01 am

Ahhahah thats hilarious. I guess it’s good to learn tables just because it is part of web developement but not have an entire class dedicated to it! It’s like how most web designers use Dreamweaver but you should still learn to hand-code as well (although I prefer to hand-code and don’t really like working with Dreamweaver).

• Reply Ivy April 27, 2008 at 10:47 am

That’s really silly. I know it’s important to learn how to code tables to arrange information but seriously… it doesn’t require 4 hours!!!! o.O It’s like you’re gonna make a layout out of it, right?

I use Dreamweaver, though I have no idea what all those buttons are. I just use the code viewer and handcode. I was forced to use it because my ex-employer gave it to me. The color coding in the code viewer is very useful for spotting mistakes, I must say! :D

• Reply joyfulchicken April 27, 2008 at 6:16 pm

Hey, I still use tables for web design! You young people are mean :-(

• Reply Marsadie April 27, 2008 at 10:57 pm

Dreamweaver? WOW it’s been so long! LOL

• Reply (Olivia) April 28, 2008 at 12:24 am

Lmao @ tables! That’s horrible.

• Reply Christine April 28, 2008 at 3:23 am

Tables remind me of when I had a site on geocities, haha. At least you’ll be getting an A on that assignment?

• Reply ray April 28, 2008 at 5:04 am

hahaha i hated web classes -=p

“today were going to learn how to make the fonts bold”

whoaaaa. -xT

• Reply Ross April 28, 2008 at 4:22 pm

In school’s defense, they would really want to give the foundations of learning. You shouldn’t expect school to spoonfeed their students about what’s current because in reality, you will learn all of those by yourself without anyone to teach you. And tables are part of the foundations of web design and although they’re not being used as much, they’re still important. They can spend a whole lecture on, say SEO methods, but what happens later on when it’s no longer being used. It will be as useful to you as what you think tables will be.

• Reply Helga April 28, 2008 at 4:40 pm

I failed to mention that Week 1 of web design class was dedicate to tables, too. We’re in our last 3 weeks of our 4-month course.

• Reply Crystal April 29, 2008 at 7:26 am

“Ooh dream weaver
    I believe you can get me through the night
    Ooh dream weaver
    I believe we can reach the morning light”

• Reply fugo May 5, 2008 at 5:42 am

tbh if you think you don’t need to know anything about tables to do web design then you don’t really know what you are talking about.

flash is a terrible way to present data on the web, bandwidth intensive and often poorly presented compared to a html tables site.

and i’m not some old guy too set in his ways to change (i’m 19), i’m just pointing out that tables are certainly not outdated.

also, i suspect most of the people replying also don’t really know what they are talking about, but want you to like them so they agree with you.

but i do like your blog, its normally very good

• Reply Helga May 5, 2008 at 11:49 pm

You’re obviously basing and judging my knowledge on webdesign on one entry. Here’s the thing: I’ve been dicking around the internets since 1997 and started fooling around with HTML in 1998. CSS came a few years later. A good number of my readers are into webdesign. A good number of my readers know that I am into webdesign and know that I have an above-average grasp of xHTML and CSS.

I think I don’t need to know anything about tables? No, it’s “I don’t think I need to spend any more time using tables to build dummy sites because tables I think tables are outdated (and will most likely only employ their use in the future in presenting numerical data)”. When I say that, it means I’ve been there and done that. My personal sites from 01-03 were mostly tables-based (and used iframes). I’ve moved on to CSS and divs.

And I agree with you on Flash. I hate Flash with a passion, but what can I do? Flash is where most of the money is at.

You sound condescending.

• Reply Melisa Grazier March 23, 2011 at 8:21 am

Awesome

• Reply Scott October 28, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Randomly stumbled upon this old ass post…hilarious and preach on! Although being savvy with tables can make you an HTML email ninja as most clients take your CSS and throw it out the window at high speeds.

…and lol animated gifs? …that shit is coming back didn’t you hear? ;)