hair & beauty

I Want Nancy Botwin Curls

Though there are days when I hate my curls (which turn into a big frizzy mess if I so much break into a sweat), it’s going to be a while until I go back to sporting straight hair, for two reasons: 1) I refuse to subject my stressed tresses to the whole rebonding process, and 2) I’ve had a handful of friends tell me that my disastrous brown curls suit me better than the straight and black hair I was born with.

Unfortunately, the current state of my hair makes for unbearably ugly bad hair days. The top half of my head is poofy and wavy while the lower half has limp, dry curls. I obviously need to sit my ass on a salon chair and have a stylist work his fairy magic on me. This time around, I shall come prepared and have an actual look to reference to. With the help of Anne, I have decided on this particular style.

A question, though: is that an actual perm or just a curling iron?

I’m not entirely sure if I’ll copy the side bangs, too. I’m a bit iffy about getting bangs again because the last time I had them, a gay friend thought I was hideous (that was the exact word he used). I don’t have the forehead nor the face for it, anyway.

Sadly, this isn’t a priority right now and I’ll probably have to wait until next month ’til I can get my hair done. My goals for August is to finally open a passbook savings account and try not to spend all my money on silly purchases*. I also promised my mom a new pair of eyeglasses.

(Okay, so that’s a lie. Heh.)

*My God, I want those boots so bad and I would have gotten them, had they not been red. I want a gray pair, like Serena Van Der Woodsen’s.

• Reply Lauren August 11, 2008 at 5:10 pm

OMG I’ve been wanting that hairstyle ever since I got addicted to Weeds, but my stupid hair is taking centuries to grow!!! :( You can get that done at most salons as a perm, but don’t get the regular kind – the one with the weird stinky chemical thing. Ask if they have digital perm cos the curls look a lot nicer and more defined.

• Reply Helga August 11, 2008 at 5:15 pm

But digital perms are so expensive! :( Around 5k? My normal chemical perm cost around 2k lang lol.

• Reply Lauren August 11, 2008 at 5:28 pm

5k srsly???? O_O It looks worth it though. Rica’s curls are digipermed.

• Reply munchie October 27, 2009 at 2:30 pm

i have seen a salon in makati ave! i think your a filipina kasi you use tagalog words but i hope your here in Philippines. it cost 1500 lang =)

• Reply J August 11, 2008 at 5:23 pm

If my hair was longer I could do that easily. Your hair looks like mine in photos… Couldn’t you just use a little product and loosely wrap around a curling iron?

• Reply tiff August 12, 2008 at 1:37 am

I THINK if it’s a perm, I don’t think they can create a look similar to Mary’s.

It has to be done by curling iron/rolls.

Not sure, so don’t take my word for it.

but her curls are amazing, for a lot of people, it’s very hard to get that.

• Reply Katy August 12, 2008 at 4:14 am

I lovee curls and I’d totally try them out if my hair was longer (and I’d also dye my hair black too b/c I think black waves look sooo sexy). They seem a little too high maintenance for me though. =(

• Reply exene August 12, 2008 at 12:32 pm

that hair minus the face…yeah that looks good. I wouldn’t listen to gay friends on how to look. I had my make-up done by a gay guy…I looked like a whore that rolled up in pain in the streets.

• Reply sam August 12, 2008 at 5:28 pm

i actually had my hair permed about four months ago–not digital. and it looked dry and icky, but they gave this awesome l’oreal product that you can only buy in salons. some sort of cream for your curls. it makes your curls look nice:) then i chopped off all my curls because they were getting unruly.

get a hair product! :) i hate hair products but that one actually worked

• Reply kristine August 12, 2008 at 9:39 pm

nope. doesn’t suit you at all. just buy a curling iron.

• Reply Helga August 12, 2008 at 9:51 pm

I have curly hair right now and it suits me, sorry to say.

• Reply joyfulchicken August 13, 2008 at 1:33 am

How about a wig?

• Reply Laarni August 13, 2008 at 1:26 pm

lol. but wigs are also expensive.

• Reply iamnotfrodo August 13, 2008 at 8:13 am

hey, i love that show!

and i think mary-louise parker is hot. :)

• Reply sab August 13, 2008 at 11:08 am

whatever you decide do share some photos! :)

• Reply Laarni August 13, 2008 at 1:23 pm

I’ve never heard of digiperm before. Thanks. :p

I can’t curl my hair using the curling iron. I just don’t know how and my hair is so thick. :/

• Reply Joni August 13, 2008 at 2:50 pm

That’s a lovely hairdo. I would try having my hair curled if it wasn’t so damn thick! Heh.

Perm! So you don’t have to curl your hair every time. haha. I’m lazy.

• Reply Christine August 13, 2008 at 10:25 pm

I love those curls. I too have insane curly hair and although sometimes it gets annoying I could never permanently straighten my hair. I think that haircut you posted looks great and could look great with or without the bangs.

• Reply Gracie August 17, 2008 at 11:32 am

nice curls :)

• Reply therese August 23, 2008 at 5:08 pm

when I got my hair permed (big mistake) I used mousse and curling iron to make it look nicer :)

• Reply Websites tagged "bangs" on Postsaver August 27, 2008 at 8:30 pm

[…] Beeps, Bongs, Bangs, And Buzzers…Which Sound Device Is Right For … saved by smartax2008-08-23 – I WANT NANCY BOTWIN CURLS. saved by landrewparker2008-08-22 – It’sa good thing we have brave men like Bush to protect us […]

• Reply Frances September 21, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Ya, you are so right. Nancy Botwin is the BOMB. Everything about her is hot. And to think Mary-Louise Parker is 43! Damn! My husband is totally in love with her and hopes I can look like MLP when I’m 43. I can hope! I don’t look so bad but I better take good care of myself.

Great blog, btw. And congrats with the PBA!

• Reply Brynn July 12, 2010 at 12:45 am

I think her curls are natural because my hair grows in that same fashion naturally.