behind the scenes

An Entry to Bore You to Death

Tomorrow will mark a week of living in my new address— a neighborhood light years away from real estate bliss (24-hour Quiapo-bound jeepneys pass through my street, for chrissakes) but it’s convenient. The Anonas LRT2 station, a decent supermarket, a wet market, an Andok’s, a McDonald’s, a Chowking, and a handful of little stores that sell cigarettes and ice are all short walks away. I’m back to my old getting-to-work routine of boarding two trains and walking a bit to get to my office. It’s been bearable, so far, and I don’t mind getting hot and sweaty during the walk from Ortigas station to Emerald Avenue (to those familiar with the area: I turn right at Guadix and pass by what I believe is the side of ADB, exit at Robinson’s Equitable Tower, cross, and then go through Garnet (?) before finally hitting Emerald. Pretty soon I’ll have sexy muscled calves, you’d think I took Winadrol). You are all free to stalk or have a smoke with me as I walk, I usually get off the train 1130-ish.

Since I am new to the hood, it’s all still very unfamiliar. I have yet to find a laundromat and I’m guessing I won’t find any in my vicinity since there are no nearby dorms or condominium buildings. I’ve been doing my own laundry, washing my clothes in the sink and rinsing them in the bathroom before hanging them out to dry in the tiny laundry area we have that currently houses our stove (need to have a table built for it). I also need to hire a cleaning lady to come in every Sunday because getting down on all fours and scrubbing the floors isn’t exactly my thing and mops and I don’t exactly get along.

Party soon. So long as some of you promise to help with cleaning up. :)

• Reply Phil November 2, 2008 at 10:13 pm

I could’ve sworn that there was a laundromat on Anonas. I believe there’s actually a laundry pick-up service that does stuff around the area.

• Reply Tracy November 2, 2008 at 10:34 pm

Do you live in Manila? Or where? Quezon City? It looks like one huge city.

• Reply Gel November 3, 2008 at 1:08 am

• Reply Abby ^_^ November 3, 2008 at 11:04 am

I used to work in Ortigas. Random :P

• Reply BrianB November 3, 2008 at 3:58 pm

Not boring at all. This is actually the sort of entries I like. Particularly love the realistic vibe, just hope you resist describing menstrual cycles.

I’d do it differently. I’d get a more expensive apartment at the ortigas center or thereabouts and just eat as cheaply as possible.

You don’t know me but I’d have been willing to help. There are really OK one-roomers on Pearl Drive and the little village after Escriva drive has rooms under 10k.

• Reply kristine November 3, 2008 at 5:47 pm

Helga! I had a weird dream about you claiming your ID for the UN. As in United Nations. Like, you’re a diplomat, in my dream.

• Reply Jewel November 3, 2008 at 6:16 pm

I hate chores.
    And I envy the fact that you’d do your own laundry (even if it’s because you have no choice haha), because I would probably still bring my clothes home every week to have it done at the house.

I must learn to be an adult.

You inspire me, Helga!!! LOL :)

• Reply Monique November 4, 2008 at 12:44 am

Its so fun discovering your new neighborhood. its kind of fun finding a nail place closer to home or where you are gonna buy food. maybe there is a starbucks or a great take-out place. its fabulous!

• Reply alohapenny November 6, 2008 at 4:47 am

Oy! You are near a school right? That means you are also near dorms, so there should be a laundry service somewhere that can wash your clothes!

• Reply philos November 11, 2008 at 12:21 am

Wow! We’re neighbors now–err, not exactly… you’re just neighbors with the LRT Station I use every morning. I think there are a few laundromats out there… but if you’re getting a cleaning lady anyway, just get her to iron your clothes too… might be more cost efficient.

As for cleaning the floors (if in case you don’t get a cleaning lady–we’re having a hard time finding one ourselves)… go buy one of those basketball court mops… they’re big enough to cover the the house in a few go hehe… I’ve been wanting one of those ever since I had to get down on my knees to clean my floor.