the internets

That Part Where Someone Uses My Face and Not Just My Photos

Seeing that my Flickr/Project365 gained a little popularity, I’m used to blogs (such as TechCrunch OMFG) using my photos to go with their entries/articles. I don’t mind as I like sharing and the attention (plus, they always link back to my Flickr page). Some days ago, though, Abbie sent me a Twitter direct message saying that she got a Facebook friend request from a certain “Rhianne Alvarez” who uncannily looked a lot like me. Perhaps because she was using my photo.

Helga Weber poser

You could say that being complacent is one of my flaws because instead of freaking out (or something), waging a futile e-war with someone whose account I don’t even have full access to, and adding an ugly ass watermark to all my photos (I have so many issues with that), I decided to have a good giggle over it and “move on”. By “move on”, I mean checking up on Rhianne’s profile everyday to see what else she does.

Helga Weber poser

Holeh moleh, she changed her name and her photo! But it’s still a photo of me! A very unflattering one, too, with a Third World inidoro in the background (that was intentional).

This time, I was a liiiitle creeped out. Upon gaining access to her account, I find out her real name (I assume so because that was the email address she listed) and see that she’s using a bunch of my photos, too!

Helga Weber poser

Helga Weber poser

I am strangely flattered, really. Today, someone’s online persona; tomorrow, the world. Moohrhrhrhrhrhr.

Dear Mister Internet,

For Christmas, I would like to be crowned the new queen of /b/. I fear that I am just not speshul enough.

Sad&<3broken / (///_T) & </3,

• Reply kenna November 18, 2009 at 9:54 pm

• Reply crisel November 18, 2009 at 9:57 pm

You should start using watermarks. You can’t help it, you’re really an internet star now.:)

• Reply Helga November 18, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Noooooo, watermarks are ugh plus the majority of my photos are of my face/me lolz. I’d rather people see a photo and recognize it as mine (at least those where my face isnt showing huhlolzies), ya know. Watermarks are just so damn ugly and it’ll discourage people who would like to use my pictures =)

• Reply Ben November 20, 2009 at 12:16 am

I am totally anti-watermark as well. Seriously, who wants to stick that ugly shit on something that you would otherwise be happy with?

• Reply nix November 18, 2009 at 10:22 pm

sikat ka na ateng. magpa-ztarvuckz ka naman. lol

• Reply Noelle De Guzman November 18, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Copyright is copyright though. Click on the Report Abuse link?

• Reply Shirley November 18, 2009 at 11:27 pm

That’s really annoying, but you can’t help it that you’re prettier than whoever this person is :D

• Reply Brian_B November 19, 2009 at 2:22 am

This is strange. What could be her reason for using someone else’s photos. The psychological causes is the most important thing here, not copyright.

I hope you realize the issue is more than just copyright violation.

• Reply wendy November 19, 2009 at 9:05 am

Hello, blog hopping.. god.. this is really creepy.. anyway you pics was taken very well so no wonder why people steal those :p

• Reply Victor Stillwater November 19, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Way creepy.

I’d say report the offending party to facebook.

Anwyay, it’d be way creepier if it was a guy who made a facebook account because he wanted to be a girl.

• Reply Tracy November 19, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Lol… spooky.

• Reply cher November 20, 2009 at 12:07 pm

that is creepy! well, suffice to say imitation is the best compliment. by the way, i’ve come across this girl’s profile on facebook who got most of your blogs written as her status. it cracks me up everytime i see an update from her using your words – V-E-R-B-A-T-I-M. what’s funnier is, she’s on your friend’s list.

• Reply Helga November 20, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Seriously? Who!

• Reply cher November 22, 2009 at 11:09 pm

joie tinio ;)it’s pathetic really

• Reply Holly November 21, 2009 at 2:52 pm

LMAO oh my gosh! That’s…really quite odd! o.O

• Reply Maia Hell December 7, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Hi Helga. As flattering as it may seem that this person is using your pictures, you must also be on the lookout for possible identity thieves. I’ve had a bad experience regarding photo thieves like her who use other people’s pictures and even identity to create fake accounts on various networking sites. And they can put you on a bad light. On my case, I was able to track down her IP address and threatened to sue her for libel.

Any way, have you tried applying for a Creative Commons License for your pictures?