Dishes I’d Like to Learn How to Cook

Today, I realized that I have to learn how to really cook really soon. I never found the need to learn anything beyond basic dishes (frying hotdogs etc, making omelettes, boiling rice, promotional tote bags…no, wait) because I’ve always had other people to do that for me (mom, housemates, relatives) and because I have pretty boring taste buds and would pretty much eat anything that’s there. I have the meal preference of your typical dorm-inhabiting college student (yes, I still eat pancit canton with a hard-boiled egg and a can of tuna on the side ’til this day). The problem is I’m (already) 24 and hoping/planning to settle down and start a family with a certain person. I doubt I can serve our future children my tuna pasta for Christmas (basically a can of tuna simmered in some tomato sauce and poured over pasta noodles) and New Year’s.

For 2010, I told myself I have to learn how to make at least one soup dish (I picked tinola). I figure 365 days is too long to just learn one dish (besides, what am I, a slow learner?) so why not make a list of dishes I’d like to eventually learn how to make?

1. Chop suey.

Chop suey

2. Chicken curry. Not really a big fan of curry, though.

3. Sinigang. Not a big fan of sinigang, too, but I think that like adobo, this is a dish everyone needs to know how make.

4. Tinola.

5. Lasagna.

6. Spaghetti and meatballs. Thinking of you, Anne.

7. Fish (or shrimp) gumbo, in the rare event that I end up with freaks-who-like-fish for kids.

8. Menudo. The Filipino kind.

I’m almost useless in the kitchen. I say almost because I know how to wash the dishes!

• Reply thegreatest January 15, 2010 at 12:50 am

Sinigang, check.
    Curry, Check.
    Adobo, Check.
    Menudo, Check.
    Pasta, Check.

Stay outta my kitchen and we’re gonna be allllright.

• Reply Janine January 15, 2010 at 9:23 am

Can’t wait to see posts about you learning these! I should make my own list like this, as I have a few I wanna blog about. Spaghetti is really easy, sounds like all you need is meatballs. You really have boring taste buds? I only eat spicy food, personally. I have to drown my mom’s cooking in Sriracha sauce or Tabasco.

I really want your instruction on gumbo. I LOVE gumbo.

• Reply Diana Alexandra January 15, 2010 at 10:38 am

sinigang is easy. you just need to learn to make the pork chewy and you’re almost good to go.

You should organize a lutu-lutoan, with real ingredients instead of leaves.

• Reply dk January 15, 2010 at 1:07 pm

the perfect sinigang is about the soup. sinigang mix is god’s gift to men.

adobo, tricky lutuin ang adobo.

• Reply AlohaPenny January 16, 2010 at 8:38 am

I agree. Dapat malapot yung soup, yung natunawan na ng gabi! Tapos may siling green. OMG.

• Reply sarah January 15, 2010 at 9:18 pm

chopsuey – key is fresh, crisp veggies half cooked (take it from someone who’s lived in Baguio all her life).

chicken curry – its all in the sauce :)

sinigang – should be slow cooked

menudo – again, slow cooked

the bf’s mother side of the family are Kapampangans so i had to learn to make home-cooked dishes, talk about pressure! go experiment, its bound to be fun! :)

• Reply Holly January 18, 2010 at 10:28 am

Yum. All that food looks really tasty. :O

• Reply Steelsmtih January 19, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Can any one help me out with finding a good receipe for jerk chicken? Thanks!