A Few Things Filipinos Should Stop or Start Doing

I’ve had enough experience to say very very surely that Filipinos, in general, are annoying people. Sometimes, annoying and bordering on ridiculously stupid. Over at The Man Blog, we have an ongoing discussion about what we think or believe Filipinos should stop or start doing. I compiled my favorite replies (aka the ones I agree with the most as I agree with everything in there) into a list (because I love lists! And accutane reviews!) and here it is:

Filipinos need to stop borrowing money they cannot afford to pay back just to feed their neighbors during fiestas or to throw a grand celebration for a kid’s birthday. Spending, cooking, and feeding your neighbors is so unnecessary and birthdays happen every year. If you don’t have the money for it, don’t dig yourself a deeper hole by borrowing from someone.

Filipinos need to stop burning trash and leaves. You guys also need to stop spitting and throwing your trash anywhere and everywhere.

Filipinos need to stop believing that religion will save them from sickness and poverty. I’m an atheist so I’ll throw in a “Filipinos need to stop thinking that praying/prayer accomplishes anything.”

Filipinos need to start replacing plastic bags with paper or cloth bags. (You want to know why my office file cabinet is full of plastic bags? Because I can’t stand to throw them away and I figure I’ll be able find a way later to re-use them ’til they tear. If these were paper bags, I’d just go “LOL, see you later, future soil.”)

Filipinos need to stop being so damn sensitive so we could stop being the (more than) occasional international laughingstock. I am looking at you, Bong Revilla. There’s a reason people poke fun at us as a race and misplaced Filipino pride and baring our teeth at stupid things only makes us a bigger joke.

Filipinos need to start learning to hold their pee in until they find a proper toilet.

Filipinos need to start crossing at the proper pedestrian lanes and bridges. On this note, Filipinos need to start following all rules, even the simplest ones like where to park, where to cross, where to exit etc etc.

Join the forums to read more!

What about you guys, what’s in your list?

• Reply efrenefren March 24, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Filipinos need to stop being superstitious. Lahat na lang ng bagay sa mundo may pamahiin.

• Reply Aldo March 25, 2010 at 3:36 am

Stop covering (too many) foreign songs and copying (too many) foreign TV shows.

• Reply DK March 25, 2010 at 8:52 am

Filipinos should stop having too many kids, and on this note have some form of birth control policy.

Lack of resources stem from the fact that only a few of us pay taxes while there are others who have no jobs.

Filipinos should stop blaming the government for the fact that they do not have a job. oh brother, get over yourself and actually start looking for one.

• Reply Maria Cristina Delmar March 25, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Filipinos should stop taking up nursing.

There is nothing wrong with nursing as a course—but something is definitely wrong when the whole country wants to take up nursing – the brownraise movement by lipad-lawin..

And i totally AGREE!!!

• Reply Ierika March 25, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Well i have this american friend who finds it funny that all filipinos are nurses in their area. Its kind of like a stereotype.

Filipinos should stop spending too much money on malls. Be more of a producer than a consumer.

• Reply Geo March 25, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I totally agree! First things first, Filipinos must think properly! Everything follows…it’s all about discipline.

• Reply JJ March 27, 2010 at 3:17 am

This is hilariously awesome Helga. I’ve always had much of the same opinion in mind but felt it would be too racist, sacrilegious, or just plain improper (I’m an American) of me to actually say in front of any of my Filipino friends, all Filipino Nationals by the way. I commend you for actually recognizing AND talking about all of this on your blog. I’d love to quote your post into my blog…I can only imagine the reaction I’d get from my friends in the Phils, although many would either say they agree, or agree but be too offended by it being openly talked about to reply. By the way I love your work here.

• Reply Kristine March 28, 2010 at 8:10 am

Filipinos (especially the teens) need to stop trying to whiten their skin and need to stop trying to be “Caucasianized.”

• Reply AnnoyingIsPplWhoHaveNoRespect August 25, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Some of the things you’re saying are true, but i have to disagree with your statement,“Filipinos need to stop thinking that praying/prayer accomplishes anything.” That’s a really stupid thing to say. what’s wrong with praying? A prayer, i find, is really helpful.
    And what’s it to you that they pray?
    It’s their life, and not yours. so live your own life, and mind your own business. People like you are the reason why society is fucked up.

• Reply Helga August 25, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Hello! Prayer gives hope and comfort; my point was that prayer does not accomplish anything tangible. E.g. a poverty-stricken family will not be able to alleviate their situation by mere prayers. The problem is people who leave everything up to praying and God, while doing nothing.

“It’s their life, and not yours. so live your own life, and mind your own business.”
      You can take your own advice yourself. I mean, what’s it to you if I believe prayer is bullshit? ;)

And really, “people like me” and not say… corrupt politicians, lazy people, murderers, rapists, victim-blamers etc etc are the reason why society is fucked up? Awesome.

• Reply Blah Blah Prestige September 10, 2012 at 10:19 am

@Helga, Yes Helga, I agree with you.

• Reply Thegreatest August 26, 2011 at 10:16 am

It’s funny how you judgmental people demand to be respected for your beliefs when you can’t give the same respect to others. You poke your noses at other people’s right to THEIR beliefs, like the right to make their own choices in reproductive health, and impose your hypocritical morality on others.

Why don’t YOU mind your own business?

• Reply Blah Blah Prestige September 10, 2012 at 10:18 am

Pinoys need to:
    1. talk less & work more. move faster, be more efficient & productive
    2. backstab less, gossip less
    3. stop thinking they are the best, get real
    4. stop whining & finding excuses for everything
    5. stop behaving like Americans with their intolerable fake accent
    6. justify & look into their own bad behaviour cos by going to church while being an ass doesn’t work

• Reply Andy May 30, 2013 at 1:03 pm

and they like digging their nose in public…..
    and they like to STARE but they don’t like you to stare back….