hair & beauty, shopping

Drugstore Mini-Haul

Headed to Watson’s last night to get some supplies (and by supplies I mean hair dye and a foundation sponge which I forgot to buy) and came home with these.

Left to right: Daggett and Ramsdell Knee and Elbow Lightening Cream (PHP295), Olay Total Effects(PHP700ish), Kolours in Toasted Anise (PHP230ish), Sensa Tea Tree Oil foaming facial wash (PHP138), and Sally Hansen facial hair bleach (PHP365).

Daggett and Ramsdell Knee and Elbow Lightening Cream

This was an impulse buy and this should teach me not to do it again. While people obsess about lightening their underarms, I look at my knees and go “meh.” I dislike them: they’re fat and my childhood scars make them look dark. I googled and read that dark knees are caused by dryness and dead skin cells; I guess I need to make a conscious effort to moisturize my legs everyday and not just when I’m going out wearing shorts, skirts, and short dresses.

Anyway, I googled for product reviews when I got home and boy, what a disappointment: it doesn’t work, according to those who bought this from Amazon! I’ll still keep using it, though, because it just might work for me.

One thing I don’t like about this: it smells a bit like stale saliva (ewwww, I know). I’m thinking they were going for a cinnamon scent but they did a half-ass job of it.

Sensa Tea Tree Oil foaming facial wash

Due to perpetual pimples, I went back to using good old Ivory soap for my face. It doesn’t seem to do anything for my face (still have pimples!) so I’m testing different facial cleansers. I love the minty (I think) smell of this. It’s very gentle, though, which kinda sucks for me because I like feeling a little cold sting on my face, heh.

If this works, I’ll be getting the toner.

Sally Hansen facial hair bleach

This one is for bleaching/lightening my eyebrows. I haven’t tried it yet, will do later today or this weekend.

Aaaand we all know what Olay Total Effects and Kolours hair dye look like.

This is my second time using Olay TE; the first was about two years ago and it did nothing for my skin. I’m kind of an idiot, I know. I plan to use it as my nighttime moisturizer because I tend to oil up during the day (I used to have normal skin but then the insane summer heat played all sorts of funny stuff on me). I know I should’ve gotten the one for oily/acne-prone skin but I think we’ve already established that I am, indeed, an idiot.

I’m still looking for the perfect daytime moisturizer. Currently, I am trying out Garnier’s Light Complete Multi-Action Whitening Cream but I don’t think I’ll be using this after I use up the little sachet because the last thing I want is my face to be lighter/whiter than the rest of me. It’s thick, matte, and a bit hard to spread.

What moisturizer do you use? =)

• Reply Kaith June 30, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I normally use sunblock (Neutrogena) at daytime but if I know I won’t go out at lunch, I use either: a) Mary Kay tinted moisturizer; b) Myra E Vita White; c) Skin Hour Mattifying Day Cream. At night, it’s either Clinique’s Dramatically Different moisturizer or Oil of Olay :)

• Reply Helga July 1, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Thanks! I want to try the Clinique one now =)

• Reply Xyla June 30, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I use Garnier. It works for me. It lightens my dark spots and acne marks. And I don’t get oily the whole day.

• Reply EroSinX June 30, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I would suggest going to a Dermatologist first so that they can prescribe the right product for your skin type/tone… lolx

using multiple products might cause dreadful things to your skin…

• Reply Janine June 30, 2010 at 4:36 pm

It’s so weird because where I live I NEVER hear about lightening cremes and potions even though many are made by mainstream companies. The only place to find that kind of stuff if you look is in the “ethnic” (black) section of beauty supply stores.

I really need to buy some tea tree oil. I love the smell and I think it might fix my gross pregnant skin.

• Reply Helga June 30, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I told Chris about the stuff I bought last night and he said it’s ~hard to find lightening creams there cos no one really needs them! People here (and in Asia) are obsessed with whitening stuff.

I wish I could find tea tree oil OIL lol.

• Reply Anna July 6, 2010 at 12:54 am

The Body Shop has Tea Tree Oil products, although it’s mostly recommended for oily skin types since it’s a bit harsh (not the right word, idk, my brain can’t function properly at the moment).

I like their night cream. :)

• Reply joey June 30, 2010 at 7:00 pm

nivea visage tinted moisturizing care in natural does wonders for my skin, plus it helps my makeup stay on longer :D

• Reply Helga July 1, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I used that in college!

• Reply Cai June 30, 2010 at 7:13 pm

did the hair bleach work for you?

• Reply kat July 1, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I use Celeteque moisturizer. I love that it’s water-based and oil-free. I don’t get that icky feeling even if I apply a lot on my face and neck.

• Reply Helga July 1, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I love Celeteque but I feel like it doesn’t really do anything for my skin. Kinda strange, I know, but after using a sample of Mary Kay Timewise moisturizer, my skin felt so pretty!

• Reply Jean July 1, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Clinique is really good with my skin but I don’t want to use it all up (cos it’s expensive lol) so I keep alternating with cheap brands. Stupid move. I think I’ll just use Clinique again.

• Reply Helga July 2, 2010 at 12:36 am

So that’s the secret to your clear skin! Clinique, hrhrhr. I hope boyfriend can get them on sale.

• Reply Kim July 1, 2010 at 11:13 pm

I’m currently using Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair (Synchronized Recovery Complex) for both day and night. I apply my Neutrogena sunblock on top of it when I go out during the day. Estee Lauder ANR is more like a serum, actually. I’m really liking it because it has made my skin more supple.

Before ANR, I was using Clinique’s Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion. I find it to be “just okay.” Nothing really special.

Another moisturizer I highly recommend is Physiogel AI Cream. It’s cheaper at less than PHP 700. You can purchase it at Mercury Drug. It is my go-to moisturizer when my skin breaks out.

• Reply Helga July 2, 2010 at 12:34 am

Thank you! I shall check out Physiogel.

• Reply ley July 2, 2010 at 8:50 pm

i used celeteque before as well as clean and clear, but now im using clinique dramatically different moisturizer. It works for me, i use it with a 7day scrub, also from clinique.

• Reply mikee July 3, 2010 at 12:32 am

u have pimples?!?!
    it doesn’t show!
    what concealer do u use?
    what do u use to lighten pimple scars?

• Reply rach July 3, 2010 at 6:48 am

they used to sell tea tree oil from spa essentials in watsons. i don’t know if they still carry it, you can also check in sm’s health &beauty. you’ll just need a couple drops of it though, because essential oils are a little stronger.

if you want a moisturizer that’s budget friendly and effective, i can suggest nivea mattifying day care’s very light, and keeps your face matte.

• Reply Iz August 26, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Hi! Was the Daggett and Ramsdell Knee and Elbow Lightening Cream effective? :)