hair & beauty

I’m Starting To Like My Skin Again

I have terrible skin (ok, slight exaggeration; I have meh, ok skin) and I’ve only recently started paying attention to skin care. I’ve always dealt with the monthly smattering of pimples thinking they would go away if left alone. It never bothered me until last month when I noticed that some of them seem to be permanent fixtures on my face (chin and forehead pimples). And did you guys know that there are several kinds of acne? Mine look like nodular pimples; I would need to see a dermatologist to make sure (and I’ll get around to doing that soon!). My whiteheads also give me grief and I find myself reaching for my mirror way too much just to check on them.

No Photoshop, with flash. Pimples!

Lately, I’ve noticed a slight improvement on my skin and no, it’s not because of Olay lol (I’ve also ditched using Garnier Light Complete because it gives me little bumps on my chin area) or acne pills. I don’t think any over-the-counter skin product out there works for me so I’ve decided to stop wasting my money and go natural (there are exceptions, of course).

What I’ve been doing:
1) Oil cleansing method once or twice a week. The OCM is safe to do everyday but I get lazy so I do it once or twice a week, depending on how oily my face is when I wake up. It is important to wash your face with soap after, not just wipe it off with the hot towel. Any traces of oil left will cause pimples!

2) Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque once a week. It supposedly dries pimples fast but eh, I don’t know. I just like the minty feeling though it stings a little at first.

3) Honey mask once or twice a week. I use unfiltered wild raw honey which is BAD (because it might contain bee hair etc that might cause allergic reactions) so when I’m done with the what I have, I’ll be looking for filtered raw honey. I just apply and leave it on for fifteen minutes and my skin instantly feels softer after.

4) Exfoliate every other day with baking soda. I think this is what’s been giving me somewhat radiant (lulz) skin. I just love the effect on my skin! It feels smoother and rosy and glowy and brighter. My makeup goes on smoothly, too! I used to exfoliate using St Ives Apricot Scrub which didn’t really do much for me (it feels super good, though) and I never exfoliated religiously.

I’ve also started using sunscreen on my face! Better late than never.

My skin is faaaar from clear and this is a misleading photo but I like it cos my skin looks pretty without Photoshop. Of course, my 50mm lens and the lighting helped a lot lol. I’m hoping I’ll have time to schedule a visit to a dermatologist and get a facial and that long due diamond peel. I want to be absolutely pimple-free!

• Reply The July 19, 2010 at 6:24 pm

How do you use baking soda on your face?

• Reply Helga July 19, 2010 at 7:15 pm

After showering, pour baking soda on on you wet palm and rub gently in circular motions on your wet face. Concentrate on parts where you usually oil up the most. Baking soda supposedly helps with whiteheads and minimizes pores! I use a toothbrush =)

• Reply teeyah July 19, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Your skin looks great, thanks for sharing your regimen :)

Oh and what lipstick were you wearing on the first photo? It looks nice!

• Reply Helga July 19, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Revlon Colorburst in Carnation! Thanks <3

• Reply Rita L. July 19, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Hey Helga,

I’ve been going through the same thing, I used to have pretty clear skin – then all the years of heavy smoking, clubbing and sleeping with my makeup on finally caught up with me. Let’s just say I’ve spent the past year trying to repair the damage.

Good luck on your quest for clearer skin, hope you succeed. :D

• Reply Helga July 21, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Hahaha, thanks. I really need to quit smoking soon!

• Reply Dea July 19, 2010 at 7:34 pm

I used to do the Oil Cleanse Method, too, but I wasn’t able to maintain it, too time-consuming and mabusisi. But my skin looked great then, the blackheads on my nose and chin disappeared.

• Reply Helga July 21, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I read that OCM is really good for blackheads and you can feel the beads/gunk ooze out as you massage the oil in! I dont get blackheads, tho.

• Reply Ana July 24, 2010 at 11:38 am

What’s the Oil Cleanse method? how do you do it? :)

• Reply BrianB July 19, 2010 at 10:12 pm

So that’s why everyone looks prettier than me on Facebook. I just assumed I was aging faster. Never thought people would Photoshop Facebook pics. Since I turned around 25 (this is where I began becoming uglier on pictures) I just assumed I stopped being photogenic, relatively speaking.

• Reply Carina July 20, 2010 at 12:03 pm

You’re so kyoooot. Never knew that about baking soda, huh.

• Reply Helga July 21, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Teehee, you’re kyot, too!

• Reply stefhamae July 20, 2010 at 12:35 pm

How do you do that oil cleansing method?

I tried the baking soda last night (thanks for sharing that. Haha) I love it too! :)

• Reply Helga July 21, 2010 at 4:31 pm

You’re welcome! Just google “oil cleansing method” =)

• Reply Xyla July 20, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Like what I said, I’m very pimply too! Thanks for sharing this!

• Reply Justine July 20, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Check out Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil. My mom and I use it, and it’s been really great for our skin. It’s an investment..the biggest bottle costs a little below $150 but it lasts us around 7-10 months, it’s also the best make up remover :)

I also use Vitamin E series from Body Shop and I must say it has done my skin really well. I used to be REALLY pimply and went to a lot of dermas but it never worked. Then one day I was like well fuck this I’m using Pond’s together with the Vitamin E line (my bff has been using it for yeaaaars–and I never tried to. I fail).

I don’t break out that much any more but I still had pimple scars so now I’m finding out a way to eliminate that. I’m gonna try the baking soda method one of these days =]

• Reply lina July 20, 2010 at 2:27 pm

what kind of oil are you using?

• Reply Helga July 21, 2010 at 4:31 pm

70% Castor oil and 30% Extra Virgin Olive oil =)

• Reply Crystal July 20, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Ya know, my skin used to be mostly clear (besides t-zone blackheads & period pimples) but this year it’s been pretty bad. I always have zits on my jawline – and even when they go away they leave red spots. I take really good care of my skin too. I think I’m gonna try this stuff called Murad. My friend uses it and she says it gets rid of pimples, redness, and even makes pores smaller.

• Reply Kaith July 20, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I mostly get pimples on my chin and forehead as well and they only cleared up when I used Clinique’s 3-step skin care system. But it was too expensive for me. I’m currently using Dickinson’s witchhazel toner from Healthy Options, then Oil of Olay total effects as moisturizer.

I am tempted to try the oil cleansing method but meh, I am too lazy. LOL.

• Reply Mitch July 20, 2010 at 10:35 pm

I might try that baking soda thing one time. I super hate my pores + white heads (they’re so many! meh).

Anyway I just want to share to you if you want super soft and smooth skin, try mixing 2tbsp oatmeal + couple spoons of fresh milk! Your skin will feel refreshed after. Well, it worked for me though! Good luck!:)

PS Love your posts!<3

• Reply torresclaren July 21, 2010 at 6:49 pm

OMG that baking soda exfoliant is genius! I recently bought Marian Rivera’s exfoliant soap (LOL blame it on the huge billboard on Guadix) and it makes my skin smell like a grandmother. ick.

• Reply Len July 22, 2010 at 7:45 am

We have the same mole! (a little under the left side of the lips)

Speaking of baking soda, 2 tsps. of baking soda and toothpaste stirred together makes a cheap teeth whitening substitute for Crest/Walgreen’s or whitening toothpaste. =)

And to prevent pimples, I’ve discovered that toners (one which has salicylic acid) really really prevent pimples. I am nearing my period and what supposed to be a pimple emerging from the center of my nose was, well, vanished by the toner I used :)

• Reply Helga July 23, 2010 at 9:30 am

What toner do you use? =)

I used to brush my teef with baking soda and toothpaste but it didn’t do much or anything! But then what I’d do is wet my toothbrush, dip the bristles in baking soda, and then put toothpaste lolllll

• Reply Len July 23, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I use Clean & Clear (whitening) toner. It does wonders for my skin. Also, are you using a moisturizer??? I have this secret product you may want to look at. I shall blog about it one of these days.

AND!!! I use Crest Whitening Strips, too! Please try out the Walgreen’s! IT IS 100% better than Crest Whitening Strips I am telling you. How? It has a mold wherein you attach to your teeth, unlike in Crest it moves around and is too flimsy :/

Plus, haha (I’m also addicted to whitening teeth kasi hihi) I use a whitening toothpaste from Nu Skin :D It’s magooondaaaaa

• Reply Helga July 23, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I shall look for that toner! I’m also gonna try out Dickinson’s Witch Hazel hee.

I’m currently using Olay TE for my moisturizer but I don’t like. I just bought an iWhite aqua moisturizing cream sachet to try out, too! Hee, I love iWhite. I shall wait for your blog entry about your secret moisturizer!

And and and, I think I know that Walgreen’s with the tray? My boyfriend originally got me something like it but I told him I plan to use the Whitestrips at work lol.

• Reply Janine July 23, 2010 at 8:17 am

Don’t take this the wrong way – I’ve never noticed a single zit in your pics – but because you’re always complaining about it… ;)

• Reply Helga July 23, 2010 at 9:27 am

LOLOLOLOL really need to quiiiiiit. My photos are pimple-free because of good lighting and the camera! When those two fail, I Photoshop them out :D

• Reply Cheska August 7, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Hi! :)

What blush on are you using?

• Reply DITZ-REVOLUTION.NET by Helga Weber | Filipina blogger and web designer » PIMPLE-FREE PMS! August 19, 2010 at 3:47 pm

[…] posted my regimen last month but honestly, I haven’t been doing the oil cleanse method or the honey masques […]

• Reply Adelia February 8, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Hi, thanks for sharing those stuff! I like the blend of your skin. Very natural. I’ll try this Nivea SPF30 if it fits on me.