hair & beauty

Helga, What Did You Do To Your Hair? aka Helga, You Have Japayuki Hair

If you follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, you’ll know that I bleached my hair blonde last night. This isn’t the first time I bleached my own hair as I had already done this three weeks ago (I think) and I left the bleach on for four hours (because I am hardcore). The point in all this is to get my hair light and white enough to dye the ends pink (please refer to the fourth photo in this entry).

My hair, yesterday afternoon:

Helga Weber

Except it’s pretty hard to get the yellow/red out of dark hair and I could not find toner or purple shampoo ANYWHERE. Hortaleza/HBC (where I get hair bleach from) has this thing called Clear Tone but it wasn’t available at the branches I went to. I thought that maybe bleaching my hair twice would work. It won’t and didn’t.

The pastel pink La Riche Directions semi-permanent conditioning hair color that I bought from ebay (came all the way from UK or something) didn’t work, either.

La Riche Directions

Low-quality webcam photo from last night:

Helga Weber blonde

Photos taken with Baby Girl, this morning:

Helga Weber blonde

It’s orange and spotty because I intentionally did not bleach chunks of it as I was aiming for dark roots and light pink ends!

Helga Weber blonde

Definitely not the ombre hair I was aiming for!

Helga Weber blonde

Helga Weber blonde

I wasted too much time this morning trying to hide my hair. I ended up being an hour and five minutes late for work and was thisclose to taking half the day off just to fix it!

First, I tried my hipster glasses and a friend’s hipster beanie:

Helga Weber blonde

Trust me, the orange/yellow is UGLIER in real life so I tucked it in under the beanie:

Helga Weber blonde

It isn’t beanie weather (this reminds me that I need to buy a dehumidifier), though, and it was unbearably warm this morning; my hair and scalp was all sweaty in under five seconds! I finally decided to just put it up in a ponytail (exposing the streaks of black) and slapping a headband on. I kind of look like an orange and black cat.

Strangely enough, it’s growing on me. I was set on fixing this tonight but now that I’ve spent more 18 hours as a dirty/strawberry blonde (or whatever this kind of blonde is called), I kind of like it. I just wish it wasn’t so orange or radioactive (as my boyfriend describes it).

PS: Telling me to go to a salon will fall on deaf ears. I’m big on DIY and thrift culture and will only usually spend on things I can’t do myself e.g. haircuts, massages, surgery etc.

• Reply Kiss November 17, 2010 at 5:41 pm

it has oomph. you pull it off.:)

• Reply malen November 17, 2010 at 5:43 pm

but i seriously want that hair.

• Reply Helga November 17, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Go get it! Mura lang haha.

• Reply rad November 17, 2010 at 5:47 pm

on the thrift culture still? why not save on massages by getting me for free?

• Reply mia November 17, 2010 at 6:16 pm

i love it helga! :D

• Reply NAN November 17, 2010 at 6:19 pm

I-Clementine mo na for full effect

• Reply Euri November 17, 2010 at 6:30 pm

The beanie looks hot. xD

• Reply will you still love if my hair is red :) « dalisay liwanag November 17, 2010 at 6:52 pm

[…] yes, I’ve been wondering how I would look with red hair. I got inspired by a friend’s “dyeing failure”. She experiments a lot with her hair (I rarely do). I hyperventilated just having my hair […]

• Reply Janine November 17, 2010 at 6:58 pm

LMAO at “Surgery, etc.”

I get the ombre you were going for but I still like how it looks now actually. We bleached my mom’s hair this week (LOL) and between the two of you, the impulse to bleach my own is strong! (But I shall resist – Way too much maintenance. I think I’m going red.)

• Reply ??? November 17, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Mewants your hair.

• Reply A November 17, 2010 at 9:02 pm

You could try Manic Panic. The colour gets muddy in around 10 washes, but the colour is still there (I’ve neglected my hair for more than a month now and my hair is still green… originally blue) so it’s okay if you’re just going for a pink (I suppose).

You can buy it from ebay or Amazon or have someone from the US buy it then ship it, but there’s a seller here but they “patong”-ed it too much (from less than 500 to 950). If you’re desperate, then go for it! :)

• Reply dementia November 17, 2010 at 9:10 pm

LULZ Japayukiiii

• Reply Stacii November 17, 2010 at 11:39 pm

orange, but it looks good on you! Let it rock for a little bit, then salon later if you must :)

• Reply pai November 18, 2010 at 3:49 am

wow. you look fierce!
    i was it ok to dye your hair when you had your highlights first ?(it’s the other way around right? dye and then highlights) does it change the effect of the highlight or will the dye on your hair just blend in? lol. random pop quiz!

• Reply scart November 18, 2010 at 11:02 am

corn cobs hair naiisip ko sa 3rd photo hehe. you look great on the 1st photo :)

• Reply CASEEEEY November 18, 2010 at 3:43 pm

HELGA. I FUCKIN LOVE IT. fo realz. <33333

• Reply Lurchie November 18, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I really like it.
    You pull it off really well. :)

you look very nice in the first pic, BTW.

• Reply DITZ-REVOLUTION.NET by Helga Weber | Filipina blogger and web designer » Let This Week Be Known as “The Week Helga Had Three Different Hair Colors” November 19, 2010 at 5:42 pm

[…] I’m pretty sure you’re all sick of hearing me yap about my hair but I swear, this will be the last… at least for now. Updating to let everyone who cares to know that I’ve gotten rid of the ugly orange blonde! […]

• Reply dolor January 4, 2011 at 6:39 pm

once it happened to me and worse but guess what ? I dye my hair dark purple and the color turns to dark red as the color of wine .it is amazing now .try it .

• Reply DITZ-REVOLUTION.NET by Helga Weber | Filipina blogger and web designer » Grape Purple! January 5, 2011 at 9:07 pm

[…] seemed to be extra itchy and painful last night… which says a lot for me! The last time I bleached my hair in November, I was able to let it sit for 25-30 minutes without squirming. I barely lasted fifteen minutes this […]

• Reply DITZ-REVOLUTION.NET by Helga Weber | Filipina blogger and web designer » You (Sorta) Asked For It!: How I Bleach My Hair May 18, 2011 at 4:04 pm

[…] a professional so don’t come bawwwwing to me if you decide to do what I do and end up with orange hair, patchy hair, fried hair, or a burned scalp (this has never happened to me). Feel free to ask me […]