health & fitness

No Rice Challenge 2011 + The 100 Workout

Some time last week, my friend Tin and I swore off rice (and pasta). I’m a bit ashamed to admit I haven’t worked out since mid-April so unsurprisingly, I’ve gotten a little bit pudgy. I figure that if I don’t have the time or the will to get my ass back in shape, the least I can do is watch what I eat. So I decided to ditch rice and get a friend on board while at it.

I know, I know— RICE-FREE ASIANS? WHAT KIND OF CRAZY IS THAT??? I bet my mom handed me a bowl of rice and a spoon the second I was out of her womb. So this rice-free nuttery thing we have going on? It’s torture.

The challenge lies in getting creative with my meals. To tell you the truth, I’ve been subsisting on bacon, tofu, omelets, and the odd can of tuna. I told myself I’d get my carbs from fruit but like a typical man named Burt, I’m not big on vegetables and fruit the healthy stuff. I go through bouts when I’m all “OMG HI VEGGIES COME HERE, I LOVE YOU” but these are temporary and short-lived (although I love snacking on steamed broccoli).

Right now, I’m on the lookout for simple, healthy, and delicious recipes. I’m also going to get out of this slump and give The 100 Workout a shot:

100 jumping jacks
90 crunches
80 squats
70 leg lifts
60 jumping jacks
50 crunches
40 squats
30 leg lifts
20 jumping jacks
10 minutes of running

It sounds brutal, doesn’t it? 120 squats, 140 crunches in ONE workout? Crazy talk! I’m just thankful I don’t have to do a single push-up (I hate push-ups as much as I hate crunches). Ideally, I would like to do this every night for the next five or six days and eventually ease myself into something even more… brutal. I came across BodyRock.TV through Say‘s blog and that 600 Reps Fat Burner Workout is looking pretty appealing.

I’ll let you know how it goes!

• Reply Faye June 6, 2011 at 8:39 pm

You should blog about the “food” you are going to eat for the no-rice substitute! :)

• Reply Helga June 6, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I have photos to be posted and I’ll be taking more! :)

• Reply Angie June 6, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Will be looking forward for a blog post regarding this one.

• Reply Tracy June 7, 2011 at 1:08 am

100 jumping jacks? Oh myyyy! Is this all at once or during the day – like, you do 20 in the morning, 20 at noon etc?

• Reply Helga June 7, 2011 at 8:00 pm

The jacks are the easiest! I did everything in one go, I hope to do the same again tonight!

• Reply Tracy June 8, 2011 at 4:43 am

Interesting… hmm… need to try that :)

• Reply Gargoyle Gas June 7, 2011 at 8:25 am

Too many jumping jacks! XD

• Reply Kristin June 7, 2011 at 11:05 am

The 100 workout sounds so intense, but simple enough for anyone to do, pretty much anywhere. Might have to try.

I’m not asian but I cannot live without rice. nom nom. It’s so good with EVERYTHING!!! I’ll pray for you. xD

• Reply Justine June 7, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Oh man. I gave up white rice for Lent but I was still able to eat pure brown rice so I don’t know how SUPER NO RICE feels like. As for the 100 workout.. I think I’m only able to do 100 jumping jacks and 50 crunches at one go. That’s about it. The rest, I think it will take time. But it’s super interesting though, I’m thinking of giving it a go. Hmmm.

• Reply Elle June 7, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I’ve been trying to lose weight but I don’t have a gym membership or the willpower to give up rice. The 100 Workout sounds simple yet effective. I’ll definitely wait for a blog post about it. Good luck, Helga!

• Reply Carina June 8, 2011 at 1:47 pm

How’s that workout… working out? LOL. /clever

• Reply DITZ-REVOLUTION.NET by Helga Weber | Filipina blogger and web designer » Things I Love Thursdays June 9, 2011 at 4:29 pm

[…] The 100 Workout. If my body permits, tonight will be my fourth day of doing this. It’s a decent, quick, and convenient workout that supposedly burns ~200 calories. I can see myself getting bored of it, tho, so I’ll need to mix it up a bit, add some arm exercises, and maybe do half an hour of Pilates on top of it. […]

• Reply enna June 9, 2011 at 11:15 pm

You might want to try the blood type diet. A lot of my officemates started this before the summer and results are really noticeable. You just have to identify your blood type and refer to the guide which foods can aid with weight loss and which to avoid. :)

• Reply Helga June 10, 2011 at 12:19 am

I’ve heard of that and briefly read about it some time ago! Thanks for reminding me, haha. I hope I can find some meal plans online :)

• Reply DITZ-REVOLUTION.NET by Helga Weber | Filipina blogger and web designer » Livestrong, Working Out, Tracking What I Eat June 15, 2011 at 11:55 am

[…] week, I talked about quitting rice. Save for cheat days (weekends, never more than a cup of rice), I’ve been successful so far. […]

• Reply DITZ-REVOLUTION.NET by Helga Weber | Filipina blogger and web designer » What I Have Been Eating, Plus Random Photos June 28, 2011 at 11:45 am

[…] spend my mornings sipping my coffee while looking at spa covers. I’m also done with the no-rice silliness and my sissy light breakfasts and have opted to go big. I am limiting myself to rice in the […]