The Breakfast “Challenge”

Do you follow Dave Zinczenko on Twitter? You should. He’s the editor-in-chief of Men’s Health and Women’s Health and his timeline is one of my faves. As written on his description, he provides a TON of useful tweets.

Now I know that it’s been said so many times that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and it’s a terrible idea to skip it. I never listen, though, and ever since I was 17, my morning meals have always consisted of copious amounts of coffee and cigarettes. Breakfast of champions right there.

Things have got to change! I read somewhere that bacon, egg, and toast is a perfect breakfast because you have your protein, carbs, etc in there (also: because it has bacon). I’m not sure, though, so don’t quote me on that.

After reading that tweet, I have sworn to never skip breakfast again or— on weekends, when I sleep in— to at least eat within an hour of waking up. It’s really not hard so I have no idea why I don’t do it!

To make sure I don’t skip breakfast, I’ll be taking photos of them to post here. If I skip a morning (I promise not to lie about it), feel free to e-slap my hand. Here’s what I had Wednesday and Thursday morning (no photo of Tuesday’s as I just quickly shoved a hard-boiled egg into my mouth while I was preparing my lunch).

3 teaspoons of muscovado in my coffee. I also had a previous mug sans sugar but with low-fat milk.

Cereal in unsweetened soy milk with just a dash of cinnamon. I also used the soy milk with my coffee; it’s like drinking tofu and I won’t even lie— I was gagging a bit.

What do you usually have for breakfast? I need ideas!

• Reply edrick June 23, 2011 at 2:59 pm

when im tamad and theres no food, 3 slices of whole wheat bread with lite butter! or sugarfree jam haha SOLB!

• Reply Ruthie June 23, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Also, fat-free cottage cheese is my current BFF.

• Reply Larry June 23, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Back when I was considerably thinner (LOL IKR), I always had a heavy breakfast. I’m talking about rice and anything-I-could-get-my-hands-on heavy. Of course that was also the time I was playing badminton and basketball a few times a week. :|

• Reply darliza June 23, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Pita bread, scrambled eggs with cheese, and a mug of coffee. Breakfast burritos are also da bomb.

• Reply Sanya June 23, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I have an omelette that i prepare at night and just heat up in the morning. two eggs, but chuck one yolk out. scramble it with veggies, lots of tomatos and onions (that i HATE HATE cutting cuz i hate the way it stinks up my hands!!) and mushroon and shrimp and fry it, with a bit of olive oil or just on a non stick pan. slather non fat cottage cheese or lite philly cheese and you’re all set! with as black as my heart coffee and a tub of yogurt or fruit! YUMYUMYUMYUM

• Reply Jannie June 23, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Being the plump girl that I am, I have lotsa RICE (plus eggs & bacon!) for breakfast. I’m using the review classes (for the NLE) as an excuse since carbs break down into sugar and the brain needs lotsa glucose to function! LOL!~

• Reply Janine June 23, 2011 at 4:50 pm

When I was at my thinnest, it’s when I would eat a huge breakfast – eggs, bacon, toast – every morning and really small meals the rest of the day. I should start at least trying to do that again too.

• Reply Len June 23, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I would eat last night’s ulam :|

• Reply Camile Flores June 23, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Thanks for sharing! I will definitely not skip breakfast again! :)

• Reply teeyah June 23, 2011 at 5:23 pm

One sachet of banana bread oatmeal or Apple and Cinammon oatmeal and a cup of coffee :) That is also my midnight snack, except I drink wine instead :D

• Reply Fenella June 23, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I prefer eating rice in the morning like the typical filipino breakfast. 1 cup of fried rice, Beef Tapa and Egg plus coffee w/ milk. It will give you enough energy in the morning and if your worrying for the calories that you take dont worry it will dissolve fast.. :)

• Reply Jean June 23, 2011 at 9:11 pm

When I wake up early, I usually eat half a cup of rice, one sunny side up, a half slice of MaLing/Spam, a banana, and brewed coffee. I know, kain tambay but this kind of meal fills me up until lunch so I just eat a sandwich. And the best part is ok pa rin sya sa Calorie Tracker sa Livestrong! When I’m on the go it’s 3in1 coffee and crackers.

• Reply Xyla June 24, 2011 at 7:57 am

Back in hs and college, my mom would not let us leave the house without eating breakfast. It’s only now that I sometimes skip breakfast pero when I do that, I feel like my whole day is incomplete.

• Reply tiff June 25, 2011 at 12:50 am

Yes, absolutely! Zinczenko (what a cool last name) is right.

It’s so important to eat a nice big meal for breakfast…AND to eat smaller portions for dinner. Unfortunately here in America, it’s the complete opposite. People here don’t eat breakfast and they generally eat rather large portions before going to bed. That’s why we’re so f*cking fat.

I love soymilk but I never tried soymilk with coffee. It actually sounds delicious since I love both. Haha should try that.

Also, your breakfast looks clean, delicious and healthy. Keep it up!

• Reply Tin June 25, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I want BonChon for breakfast. Huhuhuhu

• Reply Dani July 15, 2011 at 10:41 am

Coffee/chocolate with hot pandesal and hotdogs/bacon/tuna/pork tocino.
    That’s almost everyday since I started working at regular office hours.

I also gained 10 lbs. :(