Go-To Shorts, Go-To Flats

I have a grubby little secret. When I’m running late in the morning and have five minutes to get dressed, pack my lunch, lather my legs in lotion, and pee (because I spend way too long drying my hair and drinking my coffee), I do the unthinkable: I reach for yesterday’s clothes.

Well, not ALL of yesterday’s clothes. Just the bottoms. And well, it’s not that unthinkable, recycling clothes. According to online friends from the posher parts of the world (Europe), it’s actually a norm there to wear the same outfit two to three days in a row.

Gross! Unhygienic! Disgusting! were my initial reactions. I would never do that! And I still wouldn’t (hellooo, hot tropical dirty country over here) but I guess there are exceptions— like basic nondescript bottoms. For my sake, I always hang my worn-only-once bottoms up properly (on a rack or on the back of a chair) and blast them with Human Nature disinfectant spray before re-wearing. It’s not gross, okay! I bet you do it, too.

Anyway, here are a few photos of myself today, in my current go-to shorts and flats. The flats need replacing, at least according to my mom who texted me this morning after I had left for work, asking why I wore them. I’ve been inspecting them all day… can’t say she’s wrong, can’t say I really care.

(Maybe just a little.)

Bruised my knee from being drunk last weekend, I don’t even know.

I haven’t gone thrifting in what must be over a month. Unfortunately, I won’t have time until next next weekend, unless 24-hour thrift shops suddenly sprout all over the metro.

• Reply Jayrin June 30, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I do that too! Especially when I’ve only worn something for a couple of hours. Hee :)

• Reply Thegreatest June 30, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Nom sexy legz

• Reply Ochi June 30, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Envious ’cause you can wear shorts to work.

• Reply Trisha July 1, 2011 at 9:59 am

My family and I would usually spend most of the weekends at home. If we decided to go out for a few hours (like one hour or so) and I didn’t sweat while wearing them, I’d hang the clothes that I wore on the door of my cabinet and would wear them if ever we go out again for a while. Usually, if I sweat while wearing the clothes but the bottoms were still looks clean, I put the top on our laundry basket and would just spare the bottoms for later use.

• Reply Janine July 1, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Wait, like you guys don’t wear the same pants or shorts two days in a row? Donny is sitting here and says he wants to slap people who think that is gross. (He wears the same jeans several times between washes.) I personally wear the same bottoms all the time. I wash them more often now simply because I have a baby who wipes his grubby hands on them all day.

Rewearing things that aren’t really dirty is the norm here.

• Reply Helga July 1, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Nah, talking about entire outfits like bottoms + the top (or wearing the same dress) for 3 days straight that’s ~gross~ (because we live in a hot and dirty country).

It’s normal to wear jeans several times before throwing them in the wash. I will usually wear the same pair of bottoms twice or thrice (over the course of a week or a week and a half) before calling them ~dirty~.

• Reply Rebecca July 1, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Helga, firstly, you’re gorgeous. As always! And you’re right, over here it’s common to see people wear the same pants maybe 2 or 3 days in a row. I myself do it, I know that it’s okay for myself to do it too, because I am aware of my personal hygiene levels. Other people, I’m not too sure – but again, it’s a common sight. I personally wouldn’t wear the same top again, and you can guess why… Phew! And I love that top.. Please share where it is from!

• Reply crisel July 3, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I re-use pants and not afraid to admit it. ;p And by the way, you look gorgeous in that outfit. Sooo classy chic! ;p

• Reply Leng July 5, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Funny you say that, this morning I was running late so i wore yesterday’s shorts also. Two of my colleagues (both brit) wore yesterday’s dresses. Normal lang ;)

• Reply Charles Ravndal July 6, 2011 at 6:19 am

You’re really gorgeous! I re-use pants as well, but not tops. Sometimes I alternate with different pants before I chuck the others in the wash.

• Reply sam July 6, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I don’t wash my jeans for long periods of time–only when I’ve been to gross places and they’re starting to stink/feel filthy. hahaha.

Take me thrifting!!! :) Text me!!! :)

• Reply tiff July 6, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Nah, it’s not gross, I do the same thing. Plus, I would think that “recycling” them more often would conserve more energy.

Also, SWEET TOP! I dig the little doodles that’s all over the shirt.

• Reply chacha August 16, 2011 at 11:26 am

yeah! i do the same.. since i was in Highschool. i only had 2 skirts and 4 blouses (every friday were required to wear our PE uniform) so i have to rewear my skirt and must do my best not to get dirty. :)
    hmm, where can i get those human nature disinfectant spray?? i checked Human Nature’s website and found nothing similar to what you said. not unless it is the spray sanitizer you meant. thanks.