Food Diary: 34ish Hours in Naga

I may have only spent a little over a day in Naga last weekend but boy, did it feel longer. I think it’s because I was up at 330am on a Saturday (my flight was at 635am). I am obviously back in the city and typing this from my office cubicle and there is nowhere else I’d rather NOT be.

Two iced sugar-free lattes at Beanbag Coffee. Hardly a proper breakfast, I know. I arrived in Naga at around 8am to find the Starbucks along Magsaysay Avenue closed. It turned out to be a good thing because Beanbag Coffee was just down the road; cheaper coffee (no soy or skim milk, though) and free wifi! The grande (which is really just a tall) iced latte was only 60PHP. I also had the entire place to myself the two hours I was there.

Barely made a dent in A Visit From The Goon Squad.

Tofu steak, buttered veggies, white rice my soulmate.

After meeting up with my friends and dropping off our stuff at the apartment, we decided to head to CWC and have lunch at the clubhouse. I ordered the tofu steak (140PHP) and even though it looked unappetizing, it was surprisingly delicious.

Dinner was at Red Platter and we ordered a sampler called Taste of Bicol.

Laing (a spicy dish made of meat and taro leaves in coconut milk)
with Bicol Express sauce.

I learned on this trip that bicol express isn’t a specific dish but a way of cooking.

Liempo (grilled pork).

Cripsy pata (deep-fried pork leg).

Guess who loves picking at the bones, making sure she’s gotten all the meat out? THIS GIRL.

Sinigang salmon belly.

Everything was delicious! I was famished after half a day of wakeboarding so I was extra appreciative of our meal.

For dessert, my friends ordered cakes:

Some mocha cake.

Blueberry cheese cake, nothing special.

Moringa aka malunggay cake.

I don’t think I’ve mentioned it here but I’ve been on a no processed sugar diet for the past… two weeks. I almost gave in to have some of the moringa cake but I held on… only to fail when we got back to the apartment and mixed coconut-flavored Boracay Rum with pineapple juice. Oh well.

Sunday breakfast was nothing fancy: my friends cooked hotdogs, bacon, tuna omelet, toast, and rice while I slept until 10am.

Sunday lunch:

Roel brought us to Bolofer’s Espesyal, a turo-turo, to try Kinalas and Kinunot.

Kinunot (shark).

Kinunot is either shark or manta ray in coconut milk and vinegar. It tasted like kinilaw.

It’s log-log (is log-log a type of noodle?) with sarsa and meat from a pig’s head. I like how my friend described it to us: like molo soup with sisig. This was all right. I didn’t know you’re supposed to season it with vinegar and black pepper AND NOT PATIS.

Not pictured: the bottles of beer I drank!

Have you been to Bicol/Naga? What’s your favorite Bicolano dish?

• Reply Nina July 5, 2011 at 3:04 am

I like the kinunot and dinuguan sa gata. The bad thing about bicolanos though is that they kill pawikans :( Was in caramoan one time during the town fiesta and pawikan shells are everywhere :(

• Reply Janine July 5, 2011 at 3:28 am

Fuck all of that food looks amazing. I had Burger King for breakfast today. Groan.

• Reply Trisha July 5, 2011 at 1:01 pm

My dad is a Bicolano. He says that Bicolanos usually cook delicious food. I don’t really know if that is a trait of every Bicolano but my dad does cook delicious food whenever he feels like it. :3

I’m kind of envious that you got to do all of those in just a weekend! Whenever we go there, we just visit relatives and join in some social gatherings. Haven’t even tried wakeboarding at CWC (sucks, I know.) But I want to treat my family there once I have a good paying job. Heh :3

On a sidenote, I read your tweet during the weekend about going to the Panicuason hot springs. My siblings and I haven’t been there exactly but my parents have when they went home to Naga for my cousin’s wedding last year. The place looks wonderful! Hopefully we’ll get to do some great stuff the next time we visit my brother in Naga. :)

• Reply liz July 5, 2011 at 2:02 pm

those foods look absolutely delicious especially the tofu steak. never been to naga though but I sure want to go there.

• Reply Fenella July 5, 2011 at 3:08 pm

My Dad is purely Bicolano so whenever we go there and visit some relatives they always makes us Laing and fried tilapia w/ tomato and onion stuff. Seriously, i dont like spicy food though when it comes to laing dishes and pinangat theres no spicy food for me. I’m gonna eat it even though its hot & w/ lots of chili! I dont care! XD

Ps. Always make sure that their is always cold drinking water on your side.. :D

• Reply Leng July 5, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Yum, I miss Filo food!

What’s sarsa? I don’t know why but the first thing I thought of was Mang Tomas!

• Reply Charles Ravndal July 6, 2011 at 5:55 am

Hei Helga! It’s been a while! (It’s me Charles or used to be Queer Chef) Oooh delicious food and my god I miss crispy pata! Btw, how does the moringa cake taste’s like? I bet it’s also pack with vitamins lol!

• Reply tiff July 6, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Tofu steak? I never heard of it, but I’m intrigued! I gotta look that up, ’cause your lunch pic is definitely my favorite of the bunch.

• Reply Sarah July 7, 2011 at 10:46 am

because of this post, I’m now dying of excitement for our Catanduanes & Bicol trip in September! gaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

• Reply Xyla July 7, 2011 at 10:58 am