hair & beauty

Fried, Crunchy Hair Anyone? aka RIP Helga’s Hair

One of these days, I’ll really need to slow it down just a smidge with the amount of torture I put my hair through. If it had a choice, I bet my hair would want nothing to do with me. This is seriously the worst shape it’s been in, ever since I started messing with it in 2008.

My hair grows so darn fast that a month after bleaching, I had almost an inch of re-growth. Normally, I’d shrug it off and not care but the blonde was turning brassy and the pink, orange.

blonde filipina blonde asian

blonde filipina blonde asian

The plan was to take a break from the red and go full blonde. Smart cookies would have taken a break from the bleach but obviously, I am not a smart cookie. I did score ~highly intelligents~ on an IQ test I took today, though. I didn’t take it online so therefore, IT MUST BE LEGIT. Just sayin’: I’m not a dumb (fake) blonde and the bleach hasn’t gotten to my brain.

Whenever I work on my hair and whenever anyone asks me for bleach-dye advice (not saying I’m qualified to be giving out hair advice… I mean, LOOK AT MY HAIR RIGHT NOW), I always say to give your hair time to rest in between processes. Guess who ignored her own advice last Saturday? The girl with the crunchy hair, that’s who! I left the bleach on for two hours (don’t judge), which is basically TOO FREAKAN LONG and gave it about 45 minutes to rest before subjecting it to more peroxide. I wasn’t about to go out with banana yellow/pale yellow hair and look like a bleach n00b.

blonde filipina blonde asian

The red was really hard to get out; I understand now when they say it’s one of the hardest colors to get rid off and that it’s best to do in stages. Well, I don’t think I’m going to bother. I could either leave it alone or chop it off. Or both.

blonde filipina blonde asian

blonde filipina blonde asian

blonde filipina blonde asian

At least my face is kyot.

After bleaching and dyeing, I mixed some mayonnaise (nasty stuff, how can anyone put this in their food?) and olive oil in a bowl, slathered it on my hair and left it in for almost an hour. I have a feeling that if I didn’t do that, my hair would be in an even more terrible state. I was supposed to do it again yesterday and leave it in for at least six hours but guess who was too hungover and took three naps in the middle of watching a movie?

I’m going to need all the hot oil treatments and stinky mayonnaise-olive oil-egg yolk concoctions in the world if I don’t want to end up like Amor Hilton.

(I don’t.)

(Webcam photos here.)

• Reply Xyla September 12, 2011 at 8:26 pm

After dyeing and bleaching my hair, I also super conditioned it kase it really dried up the hair. :(

Anyway, still looks good on you.

• Reply malen September 12, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I use sunsilk treatment. it work with my hair after dyeing it like 6 times in a span of two months. the dyeing proces made my hair super dry and crunchy. pero i used the treatment slowly getting back to its original state.

• Reply Nikki September 12, 2011 at 9:26 pm

In all fairness, your hair doesn’t look like its crunchy, it still looks soft. And it sorta reminds me of pastillas. :D

• Reply Jayrin September 12, 2011 at 10:29 pm

At least your face IS kyot! :) I must admit I’m a little jealous of that blonde…

• Reply Nicolah September 12, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Aw your poor hair! It doesn’t look bad right now, just sayin”.

• Reply Sarah September 13, 2011 at 2:19 pm

That shade of pink is soooo pretty on you :) I’m planning to dye my hair red…after i get rid of my “negra” skin due to a recent beach trip O.o

• Reply Leanne September 14, 2011 at 12:11 am

My hair is so damaged right now too -___- What’s this mayo mixture you created??? Does it actually help your hair? I really need to treat my hair…but I don’t wanna do it at a salon because they charge you an arm and a leg for it!

• Reply Helga September 14, 2011 at 10:16 am

It’s room temperature mayo (enough to cover your head) with a tablespoon of olive oil and an egg yolk! Mix and put on your hair and then cover with a shower cap and wrap a towel around it to keep the heat in. Leave for at least 30 minutes, or longer. I skipped the egg yolk cos I only had one egg left and I wanted to eat it, haha.

• Reply abby September 14, 2011 at 3:53 am

It’s been a very long time since I’ve dyed my hair blonde. I definitely want to try going back to blonde, but my hair is so thin that from all the dying I’ve done to it previously it’s already fried. I do hope that the treatment you’re doing to your hair helps. I think I want to try olive oil and mayo to see if that helps my problem a bit :)

• Reply Christina September 14, 2011 at 10:48 am

My hair is already frizzy so I rarely dye it or use a lot of product in it. It just tends to make it worse. You might have to give your hair a break for a while before dying it again.

• Reply Bibi Berr September 16, 2011 at 8:05 am

You still look great, Helga. I actually envy you. I tried dyeing my hair 4-5 shades lighter TWICE last week… et voila! My hair is still dark brown. :-p

• Reply Sanya September 16, 2011 at 10:07 am

OH GOD my hair is turning out to be like yours as well. Although I’m yet to bleach it, the sheer amount of re-coloring it has taken its toll. The last nail would be to actually bleach my hair, since the second to the last nail is to perm it. The ends of my hair are sticking to different directions and feel like an unwashed paintbrush.

Now i’m stocking up on leave on hair moisturizers and hair masks and other shit because I plan to color it ONE LAST TIME this year and it should last for a while.

YES RED IS A BITCH TO TAKE OUT. Considering how quickly it fades WTF.

• Reply Katy September 17, 2011 at 1:17 pm

My hair was in such bad shape for years because I was addicted to blond. I finally realized I needed to stop when hair was literally falling out and clumping… soo nasty.

• Reply DK September 20, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Helga! Alex and I were taking about how fast your hair grows! What is your secret! :D

• Reply tiff September 23, 2011 at 4:37 am

Your blonde hair brings out the German in you!

I don’t think you need to buy any kind of products for your hair. Save some money and the trip from the store by washing your hair only every 3-ish days. The natural oil that your hair retains will help I’m sure. :)

• Reply Helga September 23, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I shampoo my hair like twice a week! It still doesn’t help because my hair is just that fried but I put on a hair mask the other day and it seems back to normal– if not better– now. Yay~

• Reply wrey September 25, 2011 at 2:03 pm

c00L hair c0L0r, it L00ks g00d 0n y0u. I wisH I also have the c0nfidence t0 sp0rt this hair c0L0r! hehehe… ?

We are f0LL0wing y0u. ^_^

Please f0LL0w 0ur bL0gs as well:

Thank y0u! ^_^

• Reply Elane November 21, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I so love the color. It is lovely and it matches your complexion too. I love the red highlights.