hair & beauty

Blonde Pixie: One Off The Bucket List

Monday morning had me hankering for a change. My hair was giving me grief and wasn’t doing me any favors. I briefly considered getting a digital perm if I managed to find a salon crazy enough to perm bleached blonde hair when I thought about my Hair Bucket List. I had been planning on growing it out but my laziness (to get weekly treatments or deep-condition) had my hair in terrible condition.

So I thought about finally getting that blonde pixie cut I’d been thinking about since June (when the left side of my head was growing out awkwardly). I was unsure, of course. I haven’t had “boy hair” (sorry for that term) since I was in high school and my freshman year in college. I don’t recall looking cute then, so I was hesitant. At the same time, I was better at preening and fixing myself up now so maybe I could pull it off… right?

When I started questioning whether or not I should do it, that’s when I knew I had to. I also had to do it real fast because I didn’t want to give myself the opportunity to chicken out.

I was planning on getting it done at Tony and Jackey but I couldn’t find one near me and I decided at the last minute that that salon was a little too masa for my taste. A bit hypocritical coming from someone who used to frequent Bench Fix for her haircuts and F Salon for hot oil treatments, huh? I remembered Trixie recently had her hair done at a place called Hairshaft so I gave them a call and asked if they accepted walk-in customers. They did. I packed my stuff, left work early, and walked to Podium.

Haircuts at Hairshaft are a little on the spendy side, based on what I got off Mara’s blog.

Hairshaft Podium prices

I’m a little broke (sucks cos I really want a 32gb ipod touch now lol) but I didn’t want to be stingy on something as big as going short so I went with an artistic director.

Artistic director, Bamboo, working on my hair.

Bamboo is fantastic. I showed him my pegs and that ideally, I would like it to grow out into something like this. I also love how he didn’t make me feel guilty for not taking care of my hair or that he didn’t try to upsell. I’ve been to salons that try to make me get a hair treatment on top of my hair cut and I HATE IT.

Almost an hour later (the precision that went into this hair cut is amazing haha), we were done and I was looking a bit like a Japanese doll (Bamboo’s words, OK). “Kanina, funky; ngayon, cutie!” he said.

Naturally, I took about two hundred photos when I got home.

blonde pixie asian

blonde pixie asian

blonde pixie asian

blonde pixie asian

blonde pixie asian

Now for some…

srs mowdeling pix

How it looks like today aka after washing and air dry:

I LOVE IT. This morning, I woke up and was a bit confused because I wasn’t sleepily pushing hair out of my face. I remembered why and instantly felt giddy.

Hairshaft is located on the 3rd floor of Podium. Give them a call at 638-2040.

• Reply Weyn October 19, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Coot! :)

“When I started questioning whether or not I should do it, that’s when I knew I had to.” Yes lang ng yes! I remember when I had my hair cut short, tinanong lang ako bigla if I wanted to have a haircut. I wasn’t even planning on having it, but I’m so happy with my short hair :D

I don’t think I’ve saved on shampoo since the change tho.

• Reply Helga October 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Since coloring my hair with an unnatural red last March, I’ve barely been shampooing! I’m saving on conditioner now, too.

• Reply Kring October 19, 2011 at 5:14 pm

You had me at your “srs mowdeling pix.” LOL

When I first cut my hair this short, I nearly cried especially when I saw chunks of long hair on the floor but I loved how I looked after and I’m never going back.

Yay, I love your hair! <3

• Reply Helga October 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Thanks, Kring!

• Reply Gin October 19, 2011 at 5:30 pm

How can every hairstyle look so good on you? The pixie haircut made you look mature <3

• Reply Helga October 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Hahaha, thanks!

• Reply Pilar October 19, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I love it! I love it!

And I love that sheer top with the bird prints. :)

• Reply Helga October 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Thank yoooou!

• Reply Jad October 19, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I agree with hating salons that upsell you to more expensive treatments, okray your hair, and bash other salons! Seriously, I thought you were supposed to go salons to relax, not feel ugly and inadequate. Heh. Anyway, love your adventurous choice! Bangs and that cut suit you :)

• Reply Helga October 21, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Dibaaa nakakainis! And I hate how saying no to them inadvertently makes me feel like a cheapskate lol. Well, I AM cheap but they don’t know that!

• Reply Jad October 21, 2011 at 5:15 pm

@Helga, haha trudat. You gonna do your eyebrows din ba? :) I’m still iffy about bleaching mine to go with my red hair e… skurry. hahahaha

• Reply Carmi October 19, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I love your haircut Helga! (Your “srs mowdeling pix” crack me up.)

I’ve been thinking of cutting my hair really short too, but I always chicken out. My hair doesn’t grow as fast as it used to so I’m worried that I might end up being stuck with a haircut I don’t like for several months.

Bamboo sounds really nice. I think I need a better hairdresser. I’ve been going to the same one since I was a college freshman. She’s nice and all, but she has this annoying habit of constantly pointing out how my hair is unhealthy and that I should take better care of it. Then she’ll suggest some expensive hair treatment that would supposedly fix the problem. Tch~

• Reply Helga October 21, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Try Hairshaft!!!

• Reply Bea October 19, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Nice. Very pretty. I think you can actually pull off any kind of hairstyle/haircut

• Reply Helga October 21, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Thank you! :)

• Reply Dianne October 19, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Sooooo jealous on how you can pull off an edgy hairstyle =) I have a question? How much tip do I have to give for salons like these?!

• Reply Helga October 19, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Haha, I gave Bamboo 100. Well, I asked the receptionist to cos I’m hiya to hand it over myself.

At other salons, I usually give 50 to the stylist and 20 to the assistant.

• Reply Irene October 19, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I am forever team long hurr, but I like! Yer hair looks so soft n healthy!

• Reply Tracy October 20, 2011 at 3:13 am

Oh my! Short looks good on you! Never saw you with a cut like this, it’s nice. You look older now.

• Reply Nichie October 20, 2011 at 4:06 am

short hair! so jelly. I’m envious of girls who can pull of short hair. You can pull off bleached AND short. :O

• Reply altheasarah October 20, 2011 at 7:52 am

Hi Helga! What did your boyfriend say about your new hairstyle? :-) (Chismosa lang hihi)

• Reply Thegreatest October 21, 2011 at 2:14 am

@altheasarah, He said, “hey cutie, can you tinker my bell?”

• Reply Alikoy October 20, 2011 at 9:46 am

“I’ve been to salons that try to make me get a hair treatment on top of my hair cut and I HATE IT.” — YES.

The reason I stopped going to Bench Fix was because they kept okray-ing my hair. “Aayyy iha your hair is so dry, you need a protein treatment.” “Uh, no thanks.” “Sure ka kasi ang pangit ng buhok mo!” Go to hell.

I have since fallen in love with Jesi Mendez salons. :D If I decide to be a little adventurous, Hairshaft looks promising!

• Reply Helga October 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I’ve never been to a Jesi Mendez salon, I should check them out din.

• Reply Alikoy October 20, 2011 at 9:47 am

Wahaha ok btw your hair looks really good on you! Not like a boy at all :P

• Reply Krissy October 20, 2011 at 11:05 am

You look great, Helga! I’ve also been in a “hair revolution phase” this year wherein I cut my very long hair into a short bob, then got bangs, then got a pixie cut, then got it colored and highlighted lol. But yours looks much better! I love it! :)

• Reply Len October 20, 2011 at 11:42 am

Winner!!!! My fave look from you!!

• Reply Nicolah October 20, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I love it! It looks great. I want to chop my hair off.

• Reply Mara October 20, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I went there once, but loved it ever since. They really don’t give cuts like the way they do at Hairshaft. Now I go to Creations by Lourd Ramos instead bec of employee discount (lolz) and it’s just around Makati. Cheaper and nice, too, but they’re not Hairshaft :(

• Reply Alex October 20, 2011 at 4:25 pm

How do you take care of your hair? I’ve wondered before. Doesn’t it dry out? Because I did several coloring treatments and I was shedding so much hair so I’m afraid to try that again. (Granted, pasaway ako, cos I did the coloring on 2 consecutive days).

• Reply Helga October 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Ideally, weekly hot oils/deep conditioning or constant treatments but I’m lazy! I shampoo twice a week lang and condition everyday.

• Reply Suyen October 20, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I literally LOLed at your SRS modeling pics. Thanks for that! :)

I like how it turned out the day after more than right after the salon look. So kyot!

• Reply Carina October 21, 2011 at 12:07 am

Giggling!! Also, yay you! I can’t even bring my wussy self to get a little pixie cut

• Reply Stefhamae October 21, 2011 at 4:36 am

You look like Sunny from SNSD! <3

I love the mowdeling photos. :))

• Reply Sarah October 21, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Short blond hair suits you, Helga. :) Can’t wait to get my hair coloured again. Lol.

• Reply nix October 22, 2011 at 1:16 am

Nabuhay ako sa blog mo! I’ve been trolling lang from time to time.
    Hello Miss Helga Weber, I missed you. :)

LOVE THE NEW ‘DO! I am reminded of how light it feels after getting a hair cut. And how easy it is to shampoo and dry. OMG. Now I want to get mine cut too. LOL.

• Reply Janine October 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm

LOVE IT! Giving me the itch to go shorter. Although I think YOU could pull off even SHORTER if ya wanted!

• Reply moki October 24, 2011 at 8:15 pm

HELGA ngayon ko lang to nakita kasi blocked sa opis tas di ko makita yung full entry sa reader! OMG ONG GONDOOHHH :) Still thinking what color I should get for mine, baka magpa-platinum na talaga ako. Nakakainspire tong entry na to <3

• Reply Trixie October 25, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Yay for hairshaft!! I love yer new pixie bob. GONDO GONDO

• Reply tiff November 3, 2011 at 11:21 am

Ugh, can’t believe I haven’t left a comment on this post yet. At least I thought I did o.O.

I know you like changing hair styles every month or so, but you should really keep this look for a little longer. Whoever dyed your hair blonde did an amazing job. It glows! And the hair length looks perfect for your face. Love, love, love :P

• Reply Tiffy | Manila Foodistas November 18, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Saw you on the nuffnang awards voting thing!!! Voting for you :)

It’s totally out of topic hahaha but yes, I love your new hair too! Not what I’d imagine a pixie cut would look like though!