hair & beauty

The Big Clean-Up

I have this terrible habit of never throwing out stuff. Like a lot of people, I am guilty of keeping products waaaay past their expiration date. I also have this problem with buying things on impulse and only using them a couple of times before forgetting about them. Even though I tend to stick to drugstore brands (aka relatively cheap stuff), it all piles up and ends up a waste of space and money.

Today, I decided to go through my drawers and throw out makeup and products I haven’t touched or used in a while. It wasn’t really hard but I found it silly how I would hesitate over parting with some of them. When I was done, that’s what my trash bin looked like.

Most embarrassing was to find this at the bottom of an old paper bag:

A tube of makeup base I’ve probably had since 2008!

I had already gone through my hair/shower products last week and chucked out non-essential stuff (there was a moldy tube of St Ives Apricot Scrub in there, gross). I have a tiny bathroom that I share with my brother (third world living, wassup) so space is precious. I threw out a couple of bottles of conditioner and shampoo and pared down everything to the important hair stuff:

Dove Damage Repair shampoo, Sunsilk conditioner, Schwarzkopf Extra Care Blonde Toner, Human Nature hair mask

I still have bottles of organic shampoo and conditioner that I didn’t throw out because I figure my mom or brother could use them. They dry out my hair and I can’t seem to find organic shampoo and conditioner that works well with bleached and color-treated hair. Anyone? I’ve tried Human Nature, Organic Care, and Nature’s Organics.

What was left of my make-up after the big sweep:

THOSE EVER BILENA PRO SHIMMER LIPSTICKS ARE THE BEST! Well, Rose Berry is (row 4, column 1). I’m not liking Rosette (row 4, column 3) much because it’s more greasy than creamy. Most of my current lipsticks are pinks because I find reds to be a bit too strong for my face. Or maybe it’s all in my head.

Now that I’ve minimized all my makeup to a measly 21 items, I’m torn between keeping it that way and just having the basics/essentials or buying more, just so I’d have options. If I decide to give in to my spending problem, I’m hoping that I at least do some research (Will it suit oily skin? Is it any good? etc) before making a purchase.

And here is what’s left of all my other products (crap photos, had to use my camera’s built-in flash):

I’m a bit ashamed to have products from L’Oreal (night hair serum) and Maybelline (makeup remover) in there since both companies test on animals. I bought the hair serum when I was desperate to repair my super fried bleached hair (it didn’t work but then I only used it a couple of times) and the makeup remover because I read good reviews about it online (plus it was cheap at 199PHP).

I’m sorry, Thumper; it won’t happen again.

• Reply Kisty November 14, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I have a bad habit of keeping free sachets of beauty products, in hopes that I might use them one day. Right now, I have tons from Face Shop and Etude House.

Is the Maybelline make-up remover any good?

• Reply April November 14, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Wow, thanks for this! I need to do the same, I guess. I already cleaned-up my closet but I just can’t seem to let go of make-ups, skin care, and the likes. Yikes!

Btw, I’m new to reading your blog, just found out about you when Lauren (I Am Bourgeois) posted your photo/blog link on one of her entries… so glad she did! :)

• Reply Stefhamae November 15, 2011 at 12:53 am

I didn’t know that Maybelline tests on animals. :(

• Reply sam November 15, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Holy crap that’s a lot of shit haha :)

I did a clean up a few months back and got rid of expired items and forced myself to use the stuff until I actually finish them. I believe that is what the beauty bloggers call “project pan”.

• Reply Sandy November 16, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Where do you buy your Smith’s Lip Balm? :)

• Reply Helga November 16, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Sephora Singapore! IDK where to get them locally :(

• Reply Len November 16, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Wow never thought ever bilina will be any good! yeay, scouting for lipstick for my fishlips!

• Reply Len November 16, 2011 at 9:57 pm

@Len, haha ever BILI NA

• Reply edelweiza November 16, 2011 at 5:16 pm

This post just reminded me to have a big clean-up of my closet and beauty stuff, too. :)

• Reply Xyla November 16, 2011 at 6:37 pm

try Human Heart Nature’s new moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. they worked on my dyed hair. :)

• Reply Katy November 20, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I’ve done a clean up like that too and I filled 3 bags! I’m so glad I did that and finally stopped buying so many beauty products when I didn’t even use most of them. It’s such a waste of money and space!

By the way, does that blond toner work? I want to put some blond highlights in my hair again, but I wash my hair everyday because of the gym… I’m scared my blond will just stay yellow. :(

• Reply Chi November 30, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Where did you buy your Schwarzkopf Extra Care Blonde Toner? Thanks

• Reply Helga November 30, 2011 at 10:16 pm!

• Reply Kath February 9, 2012 at 4:03 am

I kept googling what shampoo you use. heehee “Helga Weber Shampoo” and other variations.

my hair is so damaged (even if it’s too short now to be noticed–than before) and I was wondering what shampoo you use. and I can see you have Dove. I bought that recently plus the conditioner. Is it good for the hair? :)