I am going to be honest here: I don’t care much about the annual Metro Manila Film Festival. There are a lot of things I look forward to, once December comes rolling in— the cold weather, the pretty Christmas lights, my mom’s crema de fruta, and Bath and Body Works’ Holiday Traditions line (currently obsessed with Vanilla Bean Noel). But when it comes to the ~2 week MMFF cinema monopoly that begins on Christmas day, I’m… disinterested.
EXCEPT NOT THIS YEAR. In 2006, my mom dragged me to see Kasal, Kasali, Kasalo and found myself pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it; the next year, we went to see Sakal, Sakali, Saklolo. While I am still not a big fan of mainstream local cinema (I will admit to liking the earlier Mano Po movies, though), I have become a fan of real-life couple Judy Ann Santos and Ryan Agoncillo’s work. This year, I am looking forward to seeing My House Husband which also stars everyone’s favorite actress, Eugene Domingo.
On two separate occasions, I was able to sit down and chat with My House Husband’s main cast— Eugene Domingo, Judy Ann Santos, and Ryan Agoncillo— for a bloggers press-con. Okay, so I personally did not do any chatting; I just sat back and snapped photos while the entertainment/showbiz bloggers fired their questions. Things I learned/observed:
1) Eugene Domingo is super funny (everyone knows this) but her sense of humor is also kind of scary-mean.
2) Eugene Domingo is TINY! You wouldn’t think so, though, because this woman is larger than life.
3) It’s sort of adorable how Ryan keeps referring to Judy Ann as “my wife” and calling her “sweetheart” in front of everyone.
4) Judy Ann is skinny in real life and her eyebrows are just as nice as they are in photos.
5) Judy Ann is also really really pretty in person.
As the title suggests, My House Husband is about a couple with a supposedly “non-traditional set-up”: a husband who stays home to care for the house and children, and a wife taking on the breadwinner role. To be frank, this whole “switched gender roles” thing offers nothing new (my dad was the one who stayed home and raised my brother and me) but I’m very curious to see how this all goes. Plus, Ryan Agoncillo is just as cute as his wife so yay for eyecandy!