hair & beauty

The Year of The Hair: A 2011 Recap of Sorts

2009 was the year of my Project 365. 2010 was the year of my trying to get back into blogging. 2011 was the year of my hair.

My hair adventures will most likely continue until the day I die my youth dies (or when all my hair falls off) because there’s still a whole bunch of colors out there I haven’t tried. As soon as I get a little extra money (the first quarter of this year is going to be AMAZING but oh, how it burns my pockets), I’m putting in an order for some blue, green, and purple Special Effects dye. I can’t wait!

I’ve been meaning to recap all the hairstyles I had for 2011. I actually did it back in September, on my Tumblr, but I’d rather have a somewhat more comprehensive account of it here. If you regularly keep up with me on the internet (thank you, by the way :3), you’ve probably already seen these photos. Let us begin!

I started the year looking like this:

I absolutely loved this color on me and how it looked like my hair shone (the result of a DIY patchy bleach job).

And then I bought a box of cheap ass purple dye from the neighborhood supermarket/department store:

I didn’t like this much and after two weeks, the dark purple thankfully faded:

By this time, I was impatiently waiting for my order for four different shades of Special Effects dye to get here. After nearly a month of waiting, I gave up hope and accepted that it must have gotten lost in the mail. Bye-bye ~60USD and all my hopes and dreams. :(

So I bought a box of red dye (I can’t recall if it was copper or auburn):

LOL circle lenses. Not a good look.

It must be a box dye thing but that stuff fades real fast.

And then joy of joys, my Special Effects order arrived less than a week later. I bleached my hair again and dyed it Candy Apple Red:

I had to use this photo, of course.

In May, I decided to shave the side of my head. Unfortunately, the stylist at Azta botched it up. Ironically, one of the posters decorating the Katipunan salon featured a woman with a proper side-shaved/half-shaved head. I even told the stylist that that was the look I was going for yet he still shaved a bit too high.

That same night, I bleached the shaved side and the top of my head and sported what I call my “tequila sunrise hair.”

Photoshopped my eye… basically used someone else’s iris.

On my birthday (May 31), I decided to dye my hair with Special Effects’ Burgundy Wine. None of the photos I took throughout this phase ever captured the color accurately. It had a lot of purples, in real life.

TBH, I wasn’t a fan of this color.

The good thing about Burgundy Wine is that it faded to a pretty pink after being bleached:

Did you know how hard it is to get red out of your hair? I decided to go full-on blonde and bleached and ghetto-toned my hair (using light gray dye) but the red wouldn’t budge; it only faded to a weird dark/muddy blonde. My hair was also such a mess! It was gummy and fried so I decided to chop off the ends:

It wasn’t enough. My hair was still giving me grief and I had no time to go for weekly hot oils. So I chopped off more!

The blonde pixie remains to be my favorite hairstyle EVER. I had also ordered proper blonde toner so I didn’t have to keep bleaching everytime my hair started getting brassy (LOL my life, I know).

I have been wanting pink hair since 2010, when I bought two jars of La Riche Directions in Pastel Pink. Unfortunately, my just-bleached hair wasn’t light enough when I first attempted it. Fast-forward to a year later and I finally had light, blonde hair (that was platinum when freshly-toned, yay!).

I ended up with ugly, peach hair:

It only looked like I didn’t know how to tone! After a week, I bleached it again (I am obsessed, okay) and toned the hell out of it.

Back to blonde!:

Lilac streaks after leaving the toner in for too long.

A reflection of my maturity.

Shortly after coming back from Malaysia, I decided to do one last change before the year ended. Out of the four bottles of SFX, I still haven’t tried Cherry Bomb and Blood Red. After a few hours of thinking about it, I went with Cherry Bomb diluted in lots of white conditioner (to tame the color):

Hungover and unshowered pic for the lulz.

Needs moar duck lips.

And here are a few photos that my friend snapped of me on New Year’s:

The funny thing about my New Year’s is that my drunkenness creeped up on me. One minute, I felt fine and in control and then two days later, I’m looking at photos on my camera from the same place where I felt fine and in control and wondering when and how they were taken. Patrowned?

I am enjoying the pink but I also miss the blonde. I’m also unsure if I want to keep my hair short or grow it out. I have such big problems.

• Reply April January 5, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Why does every haircut (have to) look best on you? I love your hair’s first color, the full bangs haircut and the pixie one.

So pretty!

• Reply Kisty January 6, 2012 at 11:35 am

@April, she can pull any color and style. Wish I have that kind of ability.

• Reply Justine January 5, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I really liked your hair dark red the best! And also pixie cut blonde is also the best :)

• Reply Hapey Alfie January 5, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Hi! What bleach(hair) do you use? :)

• Reply Helga January 5, 2012 at 11:02 pm

@Hapey Alfie, Hi! HBC bleach and developer. It’s the best! :)

• Reply Sexynomad January 5, 2012 at 10:42 pm

I like the 4th photo the best. I think you look younger in that shade and hair style. The circle lenses made you look like an anime. I think it looked awesome. :)

• Reply Gelleesh January 5, 2012 at 11:01 pm

You rocked the pink! I wish I could experiment with my hair color and style too but work won’t allow me… ):

• Reply Abby January 5, 2012 at 11:24 pm

You look awesome any hair color and hair cut Helga! I wish I can dye my hair like that esp PINK! :)

• Reply Jean January 5, 2012 at 11:26 pm

You look so cute in the 4th photo. I like the dark red on you. Anyway, ang tapang mo grabe. I’m kinda excited to see more colors and styles this year. :)

• Reply Rebel Sweetheart January 6, 2012 at 12:03 am

You look great in just about any hairstyle!
    But yeah, the blonde pixie is my favorite on you, too. :)

• Reply belle January 6, 2012 at 12:41 am

The blonde pixie is my favorite…next would be the Cherry Bomb, you pull it off well!

• Reply Casey January 6, 2012 at 2:14 am

Cherry. Bomb!
    I also love the burgundy wine & candy apple red. ur2qt.

• Reply Jane January 6, 2012 at 2:42 am

Cool, you’re a fan of Special Effects! So am I! ^_^ I do love looking at the color results in your hair. They look fabulous on you. If ever you want a new batch of Special Effects, please hit me up. I supply them locally (and you don’t need to wait a month for it)!

• Reply Stefhamae January 6, 2012 at 4:08 am

I love the pink hair on you! Also the blonde in the “reflection of maturity” photo. <3

• Reply Carmi January 6, 2012 at 4:12 pm

The candy apple red would have to be my favorite, followed closely by the blonde pixie cut :D

• Reply Caroline January 6, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I think your so brave for posting the ‘hung over’ pic, it’s brilliant:)
    By the way, who takes all the pics?

• Reply Sarah January 7, 2012 at 4:20 am

I love all your hair adventures Helga! I hope someday I’ll be brave enough to try a really bold haircut or hair dye :3 My favourite is the 4th picture!

• Reply Ashley January 9, 2012 at 10:41 am

All I have to say is I am so glad you have a Krispy Kreme there.

• Reply Dang January 10, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Blonde pixie is my fave! :) Just curious though, don’t you get hairfall from all the bleach & dye?

• Reply Nix January 10, 2012 at 6:28 pm

They all look good on you. Jelly. I finally had my hair dyed at a salon near us. It costed me 650 for the color and 70 pesos for the trim. It’s lame compared to what you’ve done with yours but I like it. Mom doesn’t. LOL.

What is 2012 going to be like for you?

• Reply Melai January 11, 2012 at 1:59 pm

You are the queen of all hair style, all colors! You’re so brave in getting all those hair makeovers! I bow to you helga!!

Melai of Style and Soul

• Reply audriana January 11, 2012 at 4:17 pm

i absolutely love the last 2 on you!! pretty in peach. :)
    i have medium olive skin, im naturally pretty tan, and i would dye for that beautiful platinum blonde with peach dip dye, sort of ombre style i guess, but it looks so bad on me since my skins too dark. i think im gonna experiment with a warm golden blonde and mix it with a diluted flamingo pink, to get a peach color that fits my skin tone. you can pull off any color though!

• Reply nad January 18, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Hi Helga! I adore you! Just blogged about you and my ridiculous amazement with your hair! :)

• Reply Ellie January 23, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Wonderful pics! I think you looked great in all of them; but, the first pic was the best of all.

• Reply Elle @ Chellbellz February 10, 2012 at 1:41 am

Every hairstyle looks amazing on you!

• Reply Alex February 18, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Totally loving the pink hair! Plus, your hair still looks very soft. The first few hair styles were very pretty on you, but I kinda like the unconventional (later) styles more. And oh, I think you might have been that fashion blogger someone flamed me about it my blog that I was copying! Haha! I have half my head shaved, too, but I didn’t realize it was one of your hair styles last year–I only know that you keep changing your hair! (how you manage it and still have it looking healthy is beyond me).

• Reply KC February 27, 2012 at 2:44 am

Hi, I just stumbled upon your blog and I’m becoming a fan! :)
    I used to be adventurous with hair colors too, I experimented with hair dyes when i was younger, but got traumatized by massive hair fall and dead looking tresses. I know you have been asked this often, but what is your regular hair care regimen? I want to color my hair again, but wanting to make sure I won’t go through the same horrors as i did before. thanks!

• Reply macci March 3, 2012 at 9:50 am

hi! where did you get your hair toner??? all hair blondeness

• Reply Saha April 11, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I have missed you sooo much! I absolutely love this post. You have the perfect face shape to pull off anything. I really like the pink you on you. xoxo

• Reply Helga April 11, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Sahaaaaaaaaaa! <3

PS: The site you linked is blank?

• Reply Saha April 11, 2012 at 2:12 pm

@Helga, is it?! lol I hope not!

• Reply joji October 9, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Hi Helga,

Do u always bleach your hair everytime u color it? like when u dyed it from blonde to darker then ur going for a lighter shade again.

• Reply Hair: A 2012 Recap | DITZ-REVOLUTION.NET - Helga Weber's Personal Blog December 19, 2012 at 12:11 am

[…] Read the 2011 recap. […]

• Reply dlysen December 21, 2012 at 5:47 pm

nice, to see all the color at once. I like the third from the top.