In Which I Try To Lose Weight In The Kitchen

Greetings! My name is Helga and I am a card-carrying member of the I Fail As An Adult Club (also known as My Grocery List Consists of Canned Ma Ling and Bacon Anonymous). As fun as my affiliation sounds, the time has come for me to wake up, realize I have been living wrong the last two decades, and get the heck out.

Being healthy has always been a struggle for me and it’s started to show. While I have always had an abundance of body issues, they were mostly all in my head (i.e. I think I’m fat but I’m actually just fine). Well, what do you know; this time, these issues are real, have taken physical form, and have manifested themselves in my gut. And arms. And thighs. And hips. And shoulders. And back.

Back fat!

Point is— I’ve gained weight. A lot of it. Ever wonder why I haven’t been posting photos below my neck/chest area lately? And if you’re my boyfriend (or just plain creepy), you’d have also noticed that my cheekbones have sort of disappeared. Egads! Anyway, I have committed myself to— wait for it— change. I know what I’ve been doing wrong (stupid sleep patterns, bad eating habits, lazy bones, and a vicious cycle of drinking too much beer and then pigging out while drunk and then sleeping throughout a hangover that lasts the entire day) and it’s about darn time I work on it. And I’m serious. I have attempted to live healthily so many times in the past, only to throw in the towel after a week or two. I can’t afford to fail this time around, though, especially since it’s bikini season.

I committed to an All-New Me (hokey, I know) over a couple of weeks ago and took the most important first step towards hotness (lol): cooking real food. I did the groceries Adult Style!— no bacon, instant noodles, chicken hotdogs, chips, and canned meat. I’ve also made an effort to add fruit and vegetables to my diet, although I have had to throw out a few things that have gone bad (it’s a struggle, okay!). It never crossed my mind that preparing my own meals on a regular basis could be so fun and creative.

Here are a few meals I’ve whipped up in the last two weeks:

Salt and pepper cream dory fillet; carrot and potato soup (I ate the whole pot because I am a beast!)

Cheesy chicken breast fillet; sauteed bean sprouts and potatoes.

Tuna and black bean salad.

Breaded cream dory fillet.

Chicken breast fillet prepared 2 different ways lol; sauteed tomatoes (was aiming to make marinara sauce but I didn’t have tomato paste); boiled potatoes.

Fairy bread, just because.

Admittedly, these aren’t very creative because I basically use the same ingredients over and over again. I also need to add more colorful vegetables and maybe slow my roll on the breadcrumbs and cheese. It’s a start, though, and leagues better than my usual bacon-and-eggs-and-rice meals.

• Reply dlysen March 15, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I think its ok as long as you enjoyed it. I like the food and I wish I know how to cook good and tasty food.

• Reply Kath March 15, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I find it more expensive (in terms of the food you have to eat) to lose some weight than to simply pig out. T_T I don’t know where to start.

• Reply Helga March 15, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Start sa wet market! I bought chicken breasts yesterday good for four servings (and medyo matakaw ako) and I only paid 100 pesos (115 dapat pero mabait si Kuya Chicken). I check and for ideas, too.

• Reply TheBadMonkey March 15, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Looks like you’re doing well. Always nice to see people trying to eat better and cooking for themselves. How do you feel about Indian food? Every once in a while I do a 3 week cleanse – no alcohol, cigs, meat, dairy or any animal products. Indian and Chinese food work great, and without meat, it’s totally cheap.

Good luck, Helga!

• Reply Weyn March 15, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Ang saya magluto talaga. And when I eat healthy, when I eat something I cooked myself, I feel accomplished. Good job on your diligence. :)

• Reply Nix March 16, 2012 at 1:40 am

Good looking food. I’m trying to make a change too, I started thinking about it today. LOL.
    You’re an inspiration. ;)

• Reply Angie Vianzon March 16, 2012 at 2:13 am

Ang saya sana magluto kung marunong ako pero hindi or maybe I’m just too lazy to do so. Will be looking forward to hear about your progress. I am also thinking of changing my lazy lifestyle and started by lessening my fatty food consumption and eating vegetables instead.

• Reply Katy March 16, 2012 at 5:35 am

Good job Helga! A healthy lifestyle is super rewarding. :)

• Reply Ochi March 19, 2012 at 11:04 am

WOW, a food post without bacon! Meh.

Good thing you have a lot of time to prepare for these meals. I’m thinking of quitting my job so I can stay home and work, then prepare meals like these, too. Awww, Helga. I envy you.

• Reply Trish March 19, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Hmm. Great idea! I wish had the discipline to keep eating healthy too.

• Reply aby March 21, 2012 at 4:36 pm

wow. the food looks really nice. good job! though bacon and eggs are so damn good, sometimes i cant take away my eyes on it. hihi *takaw mode

• Reply Janine March 23, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Love it – those all look super delicious. It’s actually good to use the same ingredients in different ways. That way you can save money on groceries and things don’t go to waste because you only need them for one specific meal. Rock it!

Totally stealing “fairy toast” for my kid OMG! I’ve never heard of that idea but we watch Abby Cadaby on Sesame Street and I think he’d love it! Is that brown sugar underneath the sprinkles?

• Reply Helga March 23, 2012 at 6:49 pm

It’s just unsalted butter!