ink and needles

New Tattoo: Staryu, I Choose You!

8-bit Staryu pokemon tattoo

Photo by Sanya

If you follow me on Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram, you might have seen that I got a new tattoo last Wednesday!

8-bit Staryu pokemon tattoo

It’s an 8-bit Staryu, a first-generation Pokemon. Not much thought went into this; I just wanted a change and since my new shipment of hair dye won’t be in ’til mid-May at the earliest, I decided to get a new tattoo! It was either that or a new tv mount stand.

While I always, always choose Charmander and Clefairy and Vulpix are my favorites, I think Staryu is the prettiest Pokemon. I will fight anyone who says otherwise!

8-bit Staryu pokemon tattoo

Dry skin (I only apply diaper rash cream and sunscreen), swollen foot.

It’s true what they say about foot tattoos— they hurt. A LOT. Most pain I’ve felt in my life, to be honest, and I have a high threshold for pain! It took about an hour/an hour and a half and while the black pixels were tolerable, the coloring part was agony. I thought about taking a break but I feared I might not go back to get the rest done lol. I read online that foot tattoos take two to three weeks to heal and that a little swelling is normal. I was limping the day after (yesterday) and it’s a bit hard to walk when I get out of bed in the mornings.

In a couple of weeks (or when I’ve forgotten how much this hurt), I’ll be going back to get an 8-bit heart done on my other foot. For the record, I think feet are gross and ugly (mine included) but mine are the perfect location for these. Plus, anything to make my feet “pretty”! I’m also hoping the white ink sticks (it’s not ideal for Filipino skin, according to Nolan who did Staryu) because I’d then have to keep going in for touch-ups. Yow!

Like my previous tattoos, I had Staryu done at 55 Tinta in Maginhawa Street at Teacher’s Village.

• Reply Alikoy April 21, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Ooh, Pokemon. My favorites are Clefairy, Jigglypuff and Psyduck because he’s a total loony, but I agree that Staryu is the prettiest of them all. Aaaaah everytime you post a new tattoo I enter an i-want-one-too phase. But I’m a very fickle person and I’m scared I’ll regret getting it done just ONE DAY AFTER.

Anyway, where’d you get the sparkly shoes? I want a pair. Hehehe

• Reply Helga April 21, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Haha thanks! Sparkly flats are from Vincci but I bought them in KL last December pa :)

• Reply lexiwexi April 21, 2012 at 11:50 pm

eeeep. so brave of you! i did hear that feet tattoos are a killer, in terms of pain. and your plan to get another one is a testament to that courage.

• Reply tiff April 22, 2012 at 12:03 am

I think it’s soooo prettttty!!!! You can really never go wrong with a tattoo of an 8-bit pokemon, and Staryu was definitely a great choice.

I’m so excited to see the 8-bit heart on your other foot. Your feet is totally going to be the coolest feet in town.

• Reply Kisty April 22, 2012 at 1:27 am

I agree, Staryu is such a pretty Pokemon. I also think Dragonair is pretty.

I don’t think I could ever get a tattoo, I’m so fickle about these things and I have a very low threshold for pain. I guess, if I’m getting one, it’s going to be really small. But yeah, excited to see your 8-bit heart!

• Reply Rashina April 22, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Cool Tatt! :)

• Reply Crisel April 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm

This is horriby funny, I thought you are advertising the Globe tattoo!

• Reply DK April 24, 2012 at 2:06 pm

oh Staryu! When I first thought of Staryu, i thought she is pretty too! but then Staryu is not my favorite. I like Snorlax, Jigglypuff and Mew :D

• Reply Nante April 24, 2012 at 8:21 pm

remind me next tiem. want a new tat na rin. did he tell you about the cacao lotion to help the healing? it’s true

• Reply Sarai April 25, 2012 at 11:36 am

The tattoo is definitely cute, but I just couldn’t stop staring at your flats! I love them!

• Reply Linda April 26, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I am not a fan of placing something permanent in my skin such as tattoos yet I do give credit to the pokemon you chosen. Staryu is one of the prettiest and most fascinating pokemon there is. It looks great by the way.

• Reply Ginnil May 2, 2012 at 11:08 am

Nolan did my tattoo also!!! I looove your new tattoo! :)

• Reply Josyanne June 20, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Oh I just LOVE pokemon !! This tattoo rocks !

I have only one tattoo. And it is on a feet too. I agree, it hurts as hell !! Especially it was my first one, I didn’t feel very well during all the time my tattoo was getting done. But it’s worth it !!

I can’t wait to do an another tattoo, but I wait til I have my idea, of course ;)

• Reply Adelle Pauline August 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm

cool! i also had my first tattoo done in 55Tinta, and Nolan was my artist, as well! :)