hair & beauty

The Cons of Having Pink Hair

There are a few of things I like about having pink (or any unnatural/loud/non-Asian color) hair. It’s different. In a nation where the majority of the population are too scared to go beyond black or brown, I stand out. Friends have no trouble picking me out in a crowd (works well in airports) or from a distance and cameramen tend to gravitate towards my head. Like, I’m pretty sure those dudes from Myx or ASAP covering a show would have no interest in getting my opinion to broadcast on national television if I didn’t have pink hair, ya know?

It’s fun; not just having pink hair per se, but playing around with colors. I’ve never liked my natural hair color (black, obviously, since I’m Asian) because it’s boring on me. Not throwing shade on those who choose to “keep it safe” but it’s just not for me. To be frank, if black hair suited me, I wouldn’t have started messing around with my hair color at all.

Taken November 29, 2004. Weird.

It makes thing easier. Since dyeing my hair pink, I’ve become lazy with my clothing choices. These days, I just throw on whatever and head out, relying on my hair (and my glittering personality, too, OKAY) to be the center of attention.

It’s a topic for small talk. Person from the internet that I am, I have zero social skills. Most of the time, I have no idea what to say to people I have just met because I am awkward and the things I like are awkward (otherwise known as special snowflake syndrome, fool!). The color of my hair solves that problem, kind of.

People remember you. And by “people”, I really mean Isaac, Taylor, and Zac Hanson. And mostly because where they went, I went, too.

Of course, there are some crappy things I have to deal with, too. In my expert, personal opinion, these are:

The (unwanted) attention (aka why I wrote this entry in the first place). I had a relatively easy day yesterday and had nothing planned out so I thought: “Hey, why not go to Quiapo and spend some money?” (Quiapo is where I get my rings from for dirt cheap). I was about to jump in the shower when I realized what a bad idea that was. Quiapo is knife-to-your-back-pocket scary and the only reasons I managed to survive going there alone is because I walk fast and blend in.

Then there’s the attention I get from every Boy, Jojo, and Baldo on da streets. “Nice hair, bebe.” “Ganda ng buhok ni ate!” “Wow, hair!” etc etc.

Questions. Lots of the same questions. And touching. While not necessarily a bad thing because I understand that people are genuinely curious and it’s not everyday they see a head of pink walking around the metro, there are some days when I just want to buy cat food and ice cream in peace. I’ve been asked so many times if my hair is real, if I’m wearing a wig, if I cosplay, and can they touch it? I’ve had one kid just reach out and try to grab it without even asking, good thing I have cat-like reflexes and ducked away just in time. He’s also lucky I didn’t slam my palm against his nose like they teach us in spy skewl!

Sometimes, I feel like I should wear a sign on my back that says “Plz do not pet the pink hair.”

Upkeep. This is a given. Hair grows and you need your roots at a certain length before you can pass it off as ombre lulz. A lot of people ask how often I bleach/color my hair (sometimes on the WWW, sometimes IRL); the answer is every month.

And then you have to care for it with regular keratin treatments (the only way to make nice with bleached tresses) and hair care stuff like Moroccan argan oil (which is apparently expensive here so I’m planning to stock up on my next trip to Singapore).

The wrong people will remember you. By default, I am a paranoid person. Every now and then, I worry that there’s some creepy dude out there who watches me on my way home from work everyday, waiting for the perfect time to pounce and kidnap me. Hey, it could happen. This is why I change my routine once in a while, either by taking a different route or by coming and going at a different hour. Ya know, just to keep things fresh and throw him off. But nope, not possible with my hair. Even if I were to change it every week, he would still know it’s me because he’s looking out for that girl.

Tonight, I went to the gotohan across my apartment to buy dinner and this young guy who works there asked me: “Bakit hindi ka na nagpapalit ng kulay? Diba dati, nag-red ka? Tapos dilaw?”

He’s pretty scrawny so I think I can take him on if the need ever arises.

• Reply Aneth April 27, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I became worried about the last part :(

• Reply Saha April 27, 2012 at 10:56 pm

what did he ask you?!

I once did pink but it was just a partial weave in. I wish I could rock pink hair. :) It suites you well though! MAGANDA! (I don’t know if I even spelled that right) xoxo

• Reply Thegreatest April 27, 2012 at 11:37 pm

I love this entry.

• Reply Weyn April 28, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Agree with @thegreatest. I always thought you were a writer before I knew you were an artist. :)

• Reply Maj April 29, 2012 at 4:46 pm

You’re so cute talaga Helga! You never fail to make me laugh… :D

• Reply Alex April 29, 2012 at 10:42 pm

o.o Omg your fricken sexy… Lol sorry I had to say that. Btw I found this blog by googling “Guy with pink and black hair” on Google images…. Considering what me and my friend did… Anyway! I love your blog.

• Reply C April 30, 2012 at 9:45 am

Where do you get the Moroccan Argan Oil and how much does it cost? I’m planning to dye my hair flamingo pink soon :)

P.S. I also experience people asking me if they can touch my hair, being that I’m blonde right now. Haha. And amen to all the perks of having a hair color that stands out!!

• Reply Elise April 30, 2012 at 9:50 am

I really enjoyed reading this, useful AND funny.

• Reply Leeyan April 30, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Before the Hanson concert, I have seen your name on the forums, and I finally asked a friend, “Who is Helga?” The answer was this: I don’t know, basta pink daw yung hair. So when I was at the Waterfront, and you came into the elevator on the 6th floor with that pink hair, I immediately knew who you were. Haha!

Cheers to your pink hair! And I love the post, BTW.

• Reply Angela May 1, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Was there ever a time where your parent/s got mad at you for coloring your hair because it’s expensive and/or over-the-top?

• Reply Helga May 1, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Nope and I don’t see why they should lol I’m an adult.

• Reply Angela May 1, 2012 at 8:46 pm

@Helga, Then my mom is just plain crazy conservative :(

• Reply Aileen May 2, 2012 at 9:47 am

I laughed at the ‘Unwanted Attention’ part. Last year I colored my hair red and a lot of ‘manongs’ had a LOT to say. To the point that sometimes nababastusan na ko :)))) I’m planning to go ombre soon (black to red).

But anyway, indeed it’s very easy to spot you in the crowd. I don’t see a lot of people rocking pink hair these days.

• Reply raine May 2, 2012 at 11:39 am

i dyed my hair bright red ala Haley Williams last year and just got a new job then one of my officemates said, “buti nde ka napagkakamalang p****k”.” that was so infuriating to think that I was wearing office clothes but just have bright red hair! i simply smiled at him and walked away. ooohhh, the people you meet in an office. that’s why I envy Helga for working at home.

• Reply Jonver May 2, 2012 at 4:09 pm

OMFG THAZOCREEPY HELGA! Take care aah!

• Reply Diana Alexandra May 3, 2012 at 12:01 am

Like what THE Greatest said! Please be a writer.

Also, you can always wear a hat when you’re walking around very crowded areas.

• Reply Althea May 3, 2012 at 5:09 pm

OMG! This is by far one of your most entertaining post! :) Hehe ‘Looking forward to more hair adventures from yah! :D

• Reply Alex May 3, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Haha! I totally get what you mean. I did want to go for a different color but thought…isa isa na lang muna, people already remember the shaved head and it’s kindof inconvenient if you want to slip by unnoticed. Like in a lobby of a condo or hotel and you just want to go past the guards so you don’t have to leave your ID? Not happening! Though how about carrying a hat/cap with you?

• Reply Helga May 3, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Huhuhu bowler hat lang bagay sakin and my bowler is so ratty na!

• Reply ymesako May 8, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I can definitely relate with your pink hair issues. I originally dyed my hair blue (the container said it was blue) tapos purple pala tapos ngayon kumupas na its pink. I hate the unwanted attention. Yesterday two kids were arguing about my hair if its real or a wig. The awkward part is they were seated in front of me in a crowded jeep. The younger sister even tried to touch my hair. Anyways I still love my bright hair!

Mabuhay ang mga babaeng pink ang buhok! Or any bright color!

• Reply aby May 11, 2012 at 5:00 pm

try using bonnet or a cap if you’re going to quipo? at least you can blend in.. what you think? hihi

• Reply Resha June 1, 2012 at 8:33 am

I’m not pretty sure that I really like pink. I love burgundy complexion which I enlighten my perfection. Yeah, but you look great.

• Reply Julia September 13, 2012 at 2:07 am

LOL :D I can imagine how it feels! Right now, I have a pink streak on my hair too with red as base color and highlights of ashbrown inside and I know how it feels being questioned my different people about the same thing “HAIR”. It feels so awkward and funny at same time looking at their amazed faces. Haha But I also hate it when people on the streets calls like “ganda ng buhok ni ate” and all that. So every time I go out I put my earphones on blasting with loud music so i wont be irritated. LOL

BTW, be careful with that guy (the one you wrote on the last part)! It looks like a scary sh*t to me.. :( Take care!!!

• Reply gwenstella September 19, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Pink hair looks good on you! I currently have pink ombre hair and I am sooo tempted to dye my whole head pink!

• Reply Lois June 14, 2013 at 10:20 pm

How did you get your hair so light? Mines really dark brown and I really really want light pink hair!

• Reply Lois June 14, 2013 at 10:21 pm

How did you get your hair so light before you had the pink? My hair is really dark brown and I really really want to dye my hair light pink! x

• Reply Helga June 16, 2013 at 8:11 pm