hair & beauty

In Which I Should Just Shave Off All My Hair And Call It A Day

It started with an intense hatred for my roots.

I had grand plans of swearing off bleach the entire October. It’s not really that hard, since I do go at least a month in between bleaches but having learned about bleach baths and the wonders of virgin coconut oil as a ~damage minimizer~ a couple of months ago, I’ve been finding excuses to BB every two weeks.

While my hair from the front looks nice, the back is a hot mess, all frizzy and with flyaways that couldn’t be fixed with a trim. I figured I just needed to let it all grow out past my nape and everything’ll be peachy and shit (that, and switch to silk pillowcases). Thus, swearing off bleach for at least a month. I did it before, I can do it again!

Except those goddamn roots were really ugly and getting darker by the day. They were a dirty blonde that turned brown when I slapped on a mix of Peacock Blue and Pinkissimo on them (seriously, I saw that coming). With my mighty logic, I thought— WHY should I have to suffer with these brown roots (that aren’t even my natural color) when I already suffer enough with monthly bleaches and shelling out money on can’t-find-locally-at-a-reasonable-price hair dye? Don’t I deserve non-brown roots??? BLEACH DAT SHIT.

I thought red was a tough color to get rid of but Crazy Color Peacock Blue and Pine Green seem to even be more stubborn.

There is actually a patch of darker blonde at the back of my head that wouldn’t budge, even after fifteen minutes of letting the bleach sit. I thought of giving it another five minutes but LBR, I’d rather have a patch of darker hair than no patch of hair at all.

Then came a few attempts at understanding color theory. I wanted to go back to pink (which is red-based, I GUESS) and red over green will yield brown (did I get that right?). I googled a bit and decided to do a few strand tests: one with Crazy Color Lavender and another with Crazy Color Pinkissimo. Both fared well and I thought about diluting the Pinkissimo so I could get the nice cotton candy pink I wanted BUT FEAR WAS COURSING THROUGH MY VEINS GOD FORBID I END UP WITH UNPLANNED BROWN HAIR THAT’S WORSE THAN AN ACCIDENTAL BABY so I said fuckit, let’s apply the dye neat and just go with it.

The funny thing is that every time I try on a new color, I start thinking “Man, good thing you work from home, Helga, because this shit is UGLY on you and you best not show your face to the world for a few days.” Before making any drastic changes to my hair, I make sure I’ve stocked up enough food and cigarettes to last me a few days so I can avoid any physical interaction. Just in case.

Well, guess what? I forgot to do that last night. So there I was, applying clown pink dye on my hair while my tummy grumbled for food. Sure, I had several bags of lentils but nothing to add to it but a couple of shriveled carrots. I didn’t even have butter or ketchup to make sketti, Honey Boo Boo-style! Not that I would, because that’s just disgusting.

My DGAF ‘tude has yet to reach People of Walmart levels (just to be clear— no one should ever reach that level. I repeat: no one), so donning a shower cap to get some Andok’s chicken wasn’t an option.

I rinsed out the dye, went to bed starving, and hoped for the best. Woke up and BAM!— Matrona Magenta. Or fuschia. Totally not the pink I was aiming for but it’s not as bad as I predicted.

Crazy Color Pinkissimo

Taken under fluorescent lighting

Crazy Color Pinkissimo

Taken on my balcony when it was getting dark out

I kind of like how it’s not even all throughout. You can see some streaks of autumn leaves orange (lol ok, Helga) by my roots but I’m not too bothered by it. The streak of Crazy Color Lavender is very visible, too, but it didn’t go over to well on my roots. I also left the bottom/under bits mint green so I can have some multi-color jazz going on when I put my hair up.

Crazy Color Pinkissimo

LOL it looks muddy :(

I had to go out today to get cash and food and I wasn’t feeling too confident about my new color yet so I slapped on this purdy gradient beanie that my friend, Jad, made for me. I’ve had it for a couple of months now but I only got to use it today!

Crazy Color Pinkissimo

Crazy Color Pinkissimo

Crazy Color Pinkissimo

The dry flippy frizzy mess I was talking about

Hair needs lots of babying and TLC now and I’m not allowed to bleach for the next four weeks, at the least. I’m not too crazy about the Pinkissimo so I’m glad I have a bottle of Special Effects Cupcake Pink on its way to me.

• Reply ganns October 10, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Looks great to me, Helga! At least it’ll be easy to spot you at the next Hanson concert.

• Reply Helga October 10, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Pink hair is for Hanson! <3

• Reply Joyce October 10, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Wow, all the colors in your hair makes it look like those multitone holographic fabric. I actually kinda like it on you, but it’s probably hard to go anywhere with such standout hair.

• Reply Helga October 10, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I’m scared to go to Quiapo/Divisoria by myself! However, I took the LRT, LRT2, and mini-jeep going to MoA recently and had no problem getting around. Just act tough and speak like a kanto boy lol.

• Reply Nikki October 10, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Do you get all of your hair dyes from eBay? I want to try out purple-black (a friend told me the color’s name was Raven, ok) hair like Katy Perry’s :3

• Reply Helga October 10, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I bought my Crazy Color dyes from :)

• Reply weyn October 10, 2012 at 9:29 pm

bagay! I think it gives your skin a rosy glow (what blush-on do you use, btw?)

• Reply Helga October 10, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Blush used here was Nichido Cool Rum but that glow is from Photoshop’s dodge tool lololololololololol

• Reply dlysen October 10, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I love the back photo, ung expose ung batok. gusto ko rin magpakulay ng buhok at trip ko ang puti…

• Reply Jean October 10, 2012 at 11:37 pm

I like the combination of what looks like gray/silver hair and pink at the last photo. <3

• Reply cass October 11, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I actually like the color. Specially the back.

Coconut oil makes my hair look all flippy and frizzy. Olive oil is amazing! Give it a try.

• Reply Helga October 11, 2012 at 1:55 pm

My hair is damaged, not just dry, so coconut oil is better for it :) It makes hair frizzy/dry because it deposits protein (too much protein is just as bad as little protein) which can be fixed by deep conditioning.

• Reply Anne October 12, 2012 at 9:24 am

@Helga, Hi Helga! My hair is slightly damaged because of too much coloring. I haven’t colored it for 6 months already and my hair is starving for a new color plus it looks really ugly now (black to medium brown gradient, lol). I want to know how you use virgin coconut oil as your hair treatment and do you have a specific brand to recommend?

• Reply Helga October 13, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Hellooooo. I haven’t used permanent dye in a while but I read that applying coconut oil on your hair before dyeing prevents protein loss without affecting dye uptake.

I just slather my hair in coconut oil (very generous, like, I have oil dripping down my neck lol) and let it sit for at least an hour and then bleach over it without rinsing off the oil.

Coconut oil might make your hair feel dry (like most protein reconstructors do) so just deep condition afterwards. Conditioner also does a better job of getting the oil out, than shampoo.

I’m not particular with the brand! My first bottle was the brand that Watson’s carried and my second one is SM Bonus lol. Just make sure you get the food grade/food supplement virgin coconut oil, not the refined one for frying food or the serums with other ingredients.

• Reply Pink Haired Princess October 12, 2012 at 12:49 am

The amount of times I swear I’m just gonna shave all my hair off and start afresh, alas I never do! It’s so difficult getting the colours right and worse when you know in your head what you want, but it doesn’t turn out like that! I always get black roots, like jet black and my natural hair is not that colour, it P’s me off! Anyway, I think you look awesome with the pink and love the lilac and other coloured streaks through it. It’s particularly cute with the beanie.

• Reply Audrey October 12, 2012 at 3:10 am

Wow…I am in love with your hair, especially the pink.

It’s so hard to get your hair done this way in salons here in Indonesia as they don’t stock these kinda colors. Am not really the type who’s talented enough to do it myself at home either. Wish I could transport you here! Haha…

Anyway good job with the hair!

• Reply Angie Vianzon October 12, 2012 at 11:15 pm

I think it looks good on you although I must say I like the previous pink that you have.

• Reply Red October 15, 2012 at 1:07 am

Looks good! :-bd I like how the color dean’t even out but still looks good. I wish I could dye my hair like that. My mom doesn’t dig it and got pissed when I dyed my hair red.

• Reply Lizzie October 17, 2012 at 2:50 am

I still love you in pink hair (the cotton candy-ish shade). :)

Can’t you please grow your hair long and dye it Ariel-red? You’ll look fab!

• Reply Michi October 27, 2012 at 10:10 am

I love the gutsy pink hair color! I killed my hair from dyeing a lot (but have never one blonde though) and I found Dove Shampoo and Conditioners has helped me get it back to somewhat what it was like before. You gained a new reader here. :)

• Reply Helga October 28, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Hiiiiii and thanks! I tried Dove’s Intense Repair shampoo before but it didn’t do much for me :( This was when Dove hair products weren’t available locally yet, so I had no access to the conditioner.

Switched to cone-free conditioners recently (after chopping off most of the damaged bits of my hair) so I could properly gauge its true condition.

• Reply anon November 26, 2012 at 11:53 pm

I just want to tell you that your hair color here is awesome!!!! Looove it! :))