diy

Crochet Collars

I’m a little hooked.

I don’t even know why I’m making these, since collars aren’t particularly flattering on me (sucks to have a short neck and broad shoulders) but I figure they’d make nice gifts to friends. I just need to perfect it!

I’m still getting the hang of crochet. I made the green and gray collar using this pattern by Lulu Loves and I followed it to a T but it ended up too big and curly. I had to fold and sew down the edges like so:

crochet collars

crochet collars

Before sewing on the button and button loop

For the second collar, I used this pattern by LazyTcrochet. I made a mistake with the scallops by forgetting to skip and SC and I only noticed it when I was almost done. Both patterns are incredibly easy to follow but I prefer LazyTcrochet’s because I didn’t have trouble with curling!

crochet collars

crochet collars

I used Monaco (cheap nasty acrylic which I use for practice) for Collar #1 and Red Heart for Collar #2. I’m still unsure if I want to take this crochet business seriously so I’m holding off placing a large order on cotton and wool yarns. It’s a little discouraging having such slim choices for yarn locally or having to shell out a crazy amount per skein for natural fibers. Eventually, I want to make some afghans (I think it’s okay to use acrylic for these but even Red Heart gets squeaky so I’m a little hesitant) so I need to get on learning how to make granny squares and African Flower crochet hexagons.

15 Comments

• Reply Allie Principe October 29, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Check out gantsilyoguru.blogspot.com! She posted a series about different places to buy yarn around Manila :D

• Reply dlysen October 30, 2012 at 12:35 am

I shared this on my sister facebook… she loves doing this during break time of her work.

• Reply Nic October 30, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I love the collars. I want to try to make some. They are so cute!

• Reply Jean October 30, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Ang galing mo. I’m amazed cos I can only do the basic stuff. I can’t even do a ring. Were you paying attention to HE class in grade school? :)

• Reply Helga October 30, 2012 at 2:21 pm

No! Hahaha we were taught in HS and I remember only learning how to chain! Tapos I just watched videos a couple of months ago. Dali lang!

• Reply Madz October 30, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Have you visited Dreams Yarnshoppe at Glorietta 5? That’s where I get “special” yarns. Kinda expensive though. A skein can go up to 500 pesos (they have cheaper ones of course)!

I’m planning to get some fluffy yarns online soon-ish. The color selection here are very limited.

• Reply Helga October 30, 2012 at 2:20 pm

@Madz, I read about that place! Pero parang ang mahal nga, though I should check it out.

Online, might order from Knit Picks and Knitting Warehouse!

• Reply Twinkle October 30, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Hey I thought Monaco is cotton? Do they make acrylic too?

• Reply Helga October 30, 2012 at 2:38 pm

They have mercerized cotton and acrylic knitting yarn!

• Reply Pink Haired Princess October 30, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Absolutely adorable-I love them x

• Reply Christina October 31, 2012 at 10:41 am

Those are so cute! I’m jealous! I cannot crochet to save my life.

• Reply Sarah November 2, 2012 at 8:17 am

So cute Helga! I’ll definitely try these :) I just made 1 black beanie hat for my brother and a cream beret for my sister with pompom ball included! I try to rest every couple of days – ang sakit sa wrist pag non-stop akong mag-crochet! :3

• Reply Lizzie (Pretty/Ugly) November 6, 2012 at 7:43 pm

So kyoot. But I still believe you’re too sexeh for knitting.