behind the scenes

Ugly Duckling

Like all Asian babies, I started out cute…

And continued being cute all throughout toddlerhood…

Werq that S A S S

Ugly Duckling

Rocking the Asian bowl cut…

Tail end of cuteness…

Ugly Duckling

And then I morphed into a boy…

Ugly Duckling

It seems that most Asians are cute as babies/toddlers and then go through a phase where they’re ugly as haaaaale. No? It’s just me?

Ugly Duckling

I hate this stupid face I’m making. I hate it so much that if I ever make that face in my entire life again, I hope the universe punishes me by killing a Hanson.

Ugly Duckling

I can’t believe this is what I looked like the first day of of high school. Christ.

Ugly Duckling

Glad that even my brother looked awks.

Ugly Duckling

I can’t find the rest of my high school photos but I pretty much looked like JTT.

Ugly Duckling

2005, I think. My personality was super ugly then. Matched my face!

Ugly Duckling

Ew. Crest Whitestrips are a godsend.

Ugly Duckling

Tan skin and jet-black relaxed black hair is NAGL. This was around 2006.

Ugly Duckling

2009. My skin was edited to hell and back, obviously. Unfortunately, I lost all my unedited 2009 photos when I switched laptops.

Ugly Duckling

And then I finally figured out this hair business (well, someone else did for me)!

Ugly Duckling

2012. I had a hard time picking just one photo for this year because of all the hair colors I had so I decided to settle on this one where I am without makeup and a shower.

Ugly Duckling

No makeup, no Instagram filters. Just the way I came out of my momma’s vagina. But older. And with different hair etc.

• Reply Kisty April 13, 2013 at 2:02 pm

You were still good looking when you morphed into a boy, hehe. I was checking some of my photos, too. There was this photo where I was wearing make-up + untrimmed brows + dark spots on my cheeks (I used Pond’s Detox Fluid to remove ’em!). I don’t even understand why I was vain back then (20 photos, same angle kind of vanity with that kind of face EWW).

2010 is the redhead? Or was it 2011? I like that a lot!

• Reply Helga April 13, 2013 at 2:29 pm

2010! Trying to get back to that but damn these extra 20 lbs!!!

You should make a post similar to this, too!

• Reply kidbulate April 13, 2013 at 6:11 pm

@Helga, I’m 40lbs heavier. lez do this insanity + p90x!

napagod na ko just thinking about it.

im taking a nap..

• Reply Bless April 13, 2013 at 2:35 pm

OMG you became fat! You were really smexy back in 2010!

• Reply Gen April 13, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I also morphed into a boy from grade 4 to all of high school. I was always being mistaken for a boy back then (always being called “boy” and “pogi” by people), and kept overhearing complete strangers debating my gender. It was the worst! I laugh at it now, but back then I was so insecure.

You’re so pretty even without makeup and a shower! I really like looking at your photos and I was a proper lurker/stalker of your project 365.

• Reply John Steven April 13, 2013 at 2:50 pm

It looked like you *really* didn’t want to be wearing that frilly dress.

LOL at the first 2013 photo, nice face you’re making there.

• Reply Terri April 13, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Why the fuck am I not following your blog?!

I LOVED your 2010 look – so cute. You should be a model <3

• Reply Crystal April 13, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Love this! I think I started visiting your site in 2008 because I remember the photo with the couch. You really have transformed!

• Reply Beauty By Tellie April 14, 2013 at 12:29 am

I think you look like a lost Olsen triplet. And by that I mean, you’re very pretty!

• Reply Helga April 17, 2013 at 1:11 am

• Reply tiff April 14, 2013 at 12:52 am

Ah, the evolution of Helga! I thought all of your pictures, including the awkward years, were cute as hell. You’ve always had a cute face, but now you’ve learned how to take better care of your hair, apply on makeup to accentuate your features, and your confidence has probably boosted over the years so now you’re just an even more beautiful young woman.

• Reply Pink Haired Princess April 14, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Oh man I should totally do one of these posts too, so much fun. I barely recognise you with the long hair in 2008-09! I had a pretty similar ‘evolution’, cute at first then when I hit 11/12 I went awkward as hell! Didn’t look boyish but had a dodgy perm, super skinny, big glasses and just awkward! Then I turned 14/15 and filled out a bit (got boobs!) and cut my hair short (like Helena Christensens used to be) and found myself really. Then I had the ‘blonde years’ in my late teens early 20’s and now in my 30’s feel so comfortable with my style and think I’ve found a hair and clothing style that suits me and that I love.

• Reply dlysen April 15, 2013 at 8:55 am

Amazing Transformations. Very inspiring, sometimes I don’t want to publish my old photo, I think now to let people see the difference.

• Reply Abi April 15, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I rarely comment but I read your blog regularly, and I can’t get enough of your cuteness! Even in your awkward phase. <3

• Reply Tracy April 16, 2013 at 4:03 am

Aw, I love this! I remember you when you had the long brown hair. That’s the time we met <3 2006?! Aw cute little kid Helga :)

• Reply Connie April 16, 2013 at 7:18 am

Oh my gosh! I thought I was the only one who went through the “boy transformation” phase. I seriously look so tomboyish when I was in middle school. I would rock my FUBU overalls with long sleeve FUBU shirts, even though I lived on Guam where the temperature never went below 75 degrees all year long. I’d post pictures of those days, but I am still too embarrassed. LOL!

• Reply Ashleenah April 22, 2013 at 6:10 pm

You are the most beautiful woman, EVER! You were gorgeous even through your “boy” stage (as you put it).

• Reply Helga April 23, 2013 at 3:30 am

Awww, thank you! <3

• Reply Christina April 24, 2013 at 11:32 am

You are so friggin’ arobable! I just wanna squish you!

• Reply altheasarah April 30, 2013 at 1:12 pm

You’re cute!

• Reply CatherineK May 23, 2013 at 5:23 pm

2010 hair was amazing

• Reply Just a fangirl June 30, 2013 at 10:06 am

Hey, i liked you even back in 2005 when you were still ~selloutgirl. hElGuH r0cKZzZz$$