diy

In Which I Take Up A Tita Hobby

If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram, you might have noticed that I decided to pick up a new hobby last week— cross-stitch.

Stitchin’ during breakfast

Stitchin’ during the ride to lunch

Stitchin’ during lunch

It started with coming across My Little Pony patterns on Etsy, which led me to search for more cute patterns on the site. Eventually, I ended up on Pixelpower’s Etsy shop, saw that he had one for Hanson and a 5-patterns-for-$15 option (I was lucky to chance upon his shop before he raised prices).

It took me a day (of ignoring my friends, Sanya and Triccie) to finish Isaac (minus his eyes, which I am saving for later). Progress has been slow since, as my time is occupied with others things such as work and the internet.

Cross-stitch is dumb, tedious work that I find strangely enjoyable. I’m around PHP2000 deep into this new hobby (patterns, embroidery floss, cloth) because I also bought three cross-stitch iPhone cases, along with materials!

Do you cross-stitch? How long does it take you to complete a pattern?

13 Comments

• Reply Pei Ru May 8, 2013 at 5:40 pm

It doesn’t take me long usually. Do you complete the crosses by individual boxes or rows?

• Reply Helga May 8, 2013 at 5:44 pm

@Pei Ru, Rows! I first took up cross-stitch for my HS Home Ec class and for some reason, I was incapable of doing them in rows back then lol.

• Reply Pei Ru May 8, 2013 at 5:47 pm

@Helga, Hahahaha! Thanks for sharing those etsy links. So tempted to do the Sailormoon one! *_*

• Reply Helga May 8, 2013 at 5:57 pm

@Pei Ru, I have the Sailor Moon pattern!!! I also got Spice Girls, Game of Thrones, and Disney Princesses haha

• Reply Yuki May 8, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I used to cross-stitch and I’m planning to get back to it when I get enough moolah (broke college student here)! The biggest one I stitched (more than twice the size of the aida cloth you’re using) took a little less than a month to finish. :)

• Reply Helga May 8, 2013 at 5:58 pm

@Yuki, Materials are so expensive! I made the mistake of buying tapestry needles (from Dreams Yarnshoppe pa) because the ones I had were beginning to rust. I didn’t know I could use regular needles!

• Reply Yuki May 8, 2013 at 6:12 pm

@Helga, I know… I’m bargaining with my mother right now haha! I hate using the regular ones though. They hurt so baaad.

• Reply Beauty by Tellie May 9, 2013 at 12:05 am

Of course *you* would find a Hanson pattern. Please DIY that into a cute bag :3

• Reply Irene May 9, 2013 at 12:48 pm

U HAVE A PROBLEM.

I seriously wish I had money to spend on this shit though, cause I did some when I was a kid and I loved it ugh.

• Reply Maui May 14, 2013 at 10:16 am

I used to cross-stitch back in high school but I only got to finish Bubbles’ face. I lost the pattern so I wasn’t able to do Blossom and Buttercup. :(

• Reply Anja May 27, 2013 at 12:00 am

First of all, I LOVE YOUR BLOG! I am also kind of creeped out that we both like that Kopi Roti breakfast order, have ampersand tattoos, and announce our love for beer on our homepage’s ‘About”.

If you check out my blog, you’ll see pictures of me as a cat!

Anja

• Reply Helga May 27, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Hey! I know you! You took a photo of my friend’s necklace at Route 196 once haha. Hi! :)

• Reply Anja May 28, 2013 at 3:16 pm