behind the scenes

Instagram Clean-Up

I recently decided to clean up my Instagram account. From over 2500 photos spanning more than 3 years, I am down to 890. Deleting most of those photos was surprisingly easy, considering a good chunk were (mirror selfies) taken with an iPhone 3G run through ugly filters (Earlybird, Nashville, Brannan etc anyone?). How embarrassing.

I’m still in the process of deleting more, though, because I want a well-curated feed (barf, I know). I realized that I’ve been using Instagram the wrong way. There are a lot of things I don’t want to be constantly bombarded with on the internet. I mean this with no offense because post whatever the hell you want to (I will still double tap if I like it and I enjoy the realness anyway; I just choose to separate mine and put them on Twitter and Facebook instead), but here’s a short, incomplete list: baby after baby after baby, ugly food, unstyled shots of brands/products, events and sometimes, your fucking #outfitNOrepeat. With the exception of my boyfriend and a few pretty faces, I don’t like seeing “lazy” selfies. Now, if these are things I’d rather not see, then why the hell am I posting them, ya get me??? So I got rid of nearly 1000 photos (and I still go through my feed daily to delete stuff I might have missed) and made a personal promise to put more thought into what I post.

Because ya know, (finding my) personal branding and shit.

Or maybe I’m just over-thinking this whole thing.

I’ve also started following strangers with aspirational feeds. Up until a few weeks ago, I viewed Instagram as something purely personal, only following people I “know.” Now that I’ve gone beyond my social (network) circle, I am blown away by all the inspiring, gorgeous snaps of everyday life.

When I’m not obsessing over Instagram, I find myself worrying about adult things. It constantly amazes me how I manage to find myself in these dumbass situations that I’ve already succeeded in the past. I know it’s vague but I’d rather not put it out there since I’m all for The Secret! And Thinking Positively! And The Universe Will Provide! and other New Age hokey stuff (within reason, of course). Right now, I am mentally shaking my prayer beads and lighting incense like a madwoman, hoping things will work out.

• Reply lai July 4, 2014 at 2:16 pm

OH MY LORD GOING THROUGH YOUR FEED RIGHT NOW AND ME LIKEY SO MUCH! im now ashamed of some of my photos on MY own feed. do i have the courage to do the helga-purge? hm!

• Reply Terri July 6, 2014 at 7:56 am

I’ve been considering a purge of all my photos and old stuff, on all platforms – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, everything. But then I do use Facebook to look back and find out things, like “What date DID that happen?” and I tend to use it as a ‘cloud’ for photos of my kids.
    Instagram I’ve never really used much anyway – I forget about it a lot of the time >_<
    And Twitter – mneh, it's a catch-all that I don't use a lot other than to link to my blog to post updates.

I do like the idea though – it's just a matter of me sitting down and really getting onto it, rather than get procrastinatey and sentimental about it.

• Reply Jenn July 6, 2014 at 8:09 am

I admit, I haven’t purged my Instagram feed, and my photos date back almost four years. Fortunately if I do decide to go on a purge, there are only 2,300 photos to go through. ;)

Oh, and I’m right there with you in terms of Vague Things That Are Stressing Me Out. I too am praying and hoping and crossing everything crossable. I hope things work out for you (and me). :)

• Reply Jooley July 7, 2014 at 8:10 pm

I agree about that bit on branding! As icky as it feels talk about, it makes a difference! I love the warm look and color scheme of your recent posts. :3

LOL also reminds me of the pact a friend and I made that IF we have kids, we’d make a separate account for the babypics spam!

• Reply Raisa July 8, 2014 at 6:04 pm

I always tell myself that I’ll use my instagram more often but I never do. :( I want to have pretty pictures on my feed too, but I haven’t been inspired. I just need to make the effort really but I’m so lazy.

• Reply kenna July 12, 2014 at 12:58 am