personal growth

2015 Goals

They say you’re supposed to pick one word to define your year. The word I’m choosing to guide me is:

2015 Goals

“Simplicity is what is left when we have taken away all that is not necessary.”Myrko Thum

I’d like to start living simply and meaningfully this year, only paying attention to what’s important and needed.

1. De-clutter: my space, my heart, my mind, my life.
It was only mid last year when I learned to let go— of people I don’t care for, of clothes I haven’t worn in at least 6 months, of beauty products that don’t suit me, of things I no longer have any use for but held on to just in case. Throwing things away and seeing my possessions dwindle was oddly satisfying.

I’ve never been a pack rat, I just tend to be too lazy to de-clutter. My goal is to cleanse my space at least every quarter and keep it free from the unnecessary at all times.

2015 Goals

2. Consume less.
I’m not materialistic but I’m addicted to acquiring and spending. I’m also prone to stupid impulse buys BECAUSE THEY LOOK CUTE IN PICTURES. This year, I will plan my purchases carefully, asking myself— do I really need this? I mean, I already have everything I need to live happily. Hopefully, this will lead to me contributing less waste. Also: no more buying things for the sake of Instagramming them!

3. Be debt-free by December 2015.
I was debt-free twice in my life: before I got my credit card about seven years ago, and that one time I paid off my balance in full (it was short-lived but felt wonderful). My goal is to end the year owing Citibank nothing. It’s going to be tough and I’m dreading the sacrifices I’m going to have to make but I’d really rather not have this hanging over my head when I ring in 2016!

4. Introspection.
I generally have no feelings so I kinda just get by mocking or shrugging off everything. After typing that sentence, I googled “is it possible not to have feelings” and according to the first page, I might have alexithymia or be a psychopath haha lol.

My emotional detachment (both to myself and others) troubles me sometimes because I feel like there’s something constantly lacking in my life. I’d like to try and “fix this” this year. After all, I need hugot to pay the bills!

(Also, it makes for better writing.)

(But where do I even begin? Is there an Introspection for Dummies book?)

Then I have several little goals like:

5. Figure out how to curl my hair with my Babyliss U-Styler.

6. Learn how to blend eyeshadow.

7. Be more confident.

8. Embrace my chub, but also knock off a couple of inches from my waist.

9. Remember to take my birth control on time, all the time.

10. Knit a scarf. I bought two pairs of knitting needles at the DMC Handcrafted Arts and Crafts Fair and I can’t wait to become a crazy, knitting cat lady (crazy, crocheting cat lady just doesn’t have the same ring to it).

11. Quit smoking.

I’m very hopeful.

What’s your #1 goal for 2015?

• Reply Chester February 4, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Quit smoking, same.
    I badly want to learn how to knit too. I’ve seen people doing the craft and I think it’s something I would devour on.

My number 1 goal for this year is to find a day job. :((

• Reply Corinth February 4, 2015 at 4:59 pm

I love reading personal posts! I guess that’s such a creeper of me (?) haha.
    I hope you get to accomplish most of your goals, if not all of them! :) And I think we have similar goals as far as spending and credit card bills are concerned. SO HARD THOUGH! BUT, totally do-able! Cheers to a fat bank account this year! :)

• Reply edelweiza February 4, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Simplicity has been my idea of living since last year. I’ve realized simple living is doable and surprisingly, it gives me more happiness and contentment. Good luck on your 2015 goals!:)

• Reply Meesh February 4, 2015 at 8:07 pm

I have the same sentiments about emotional detachment! I’m not sure how to *fix it* either. I tell myself that it’s okay, I don’t need to have feelings all the time, anyway. It’s always better to let go than to hold on haha. The thing is, I don’t even get annoyed at annoying things, I just shrug off unimportant stuff. At least you still have the guts to bring it on with Lazada. If that happened to me, I’ll be like… meh. Okay. Huhuhu I guess I need to love my money more hahaha

• Reply Justine February 4, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Love this. It could all apply to me as well. Especially 1-4 :)

• Reply Trish February 4, 2015 at 11:05 pm

#3 too! Also to be consistent at taking care of myself (aka not skipping gym lol) and to take my time with some things. We can do this! ????

• Reply Christine February 6, 2015 at 1:11 am

My number one goal is to be more active. I work in an office all day and it’s becoming a problem. I need to walk, run, and bike more this spring/summer. And eating more healthy in general.

I also want to continue doing #2 on your list.

• Reply Mikyu Maglasang February 12, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Yaay to SIMPLICITY! I’m starting to live a simpler lifestyle, too. The world has too much noise and clutter already.

My #1 goal for this year is career-related — to become a front-end web developer (I’m currently working on back-end). And of course, I still aim to travel more. :)

• Reply V February 15, 2015 at 4:23 am

I agree with number 3! I actually gave up my credit card some years ago and have been debt-free ever since. It’s such a good feeling. Felt like I could sleep better at night. It also helped me curb my spending since I am forced to only buy stuff if I have the money for it (not saying that you give up your plastic, though). Good luck and I hope you will achieve your goal. :)

As for me, I am learning German this year and my goal is to get a B1 certificate before 2015 ends (hopefully around Q3).

• Reply crisel February 18, 2015 at 3:18 am

Goals. Not resolutions. Sounds bigger but more inspirational. :)