hair & beauty

50 Shades of (Blue) Gray aka Blue-Gray Hair

Adore Blue Black

The last time I blogged about changing my hair color was in March 2013, when I went blonde and well, stayed blonde. I’d add a few streaks of pastel here and there but I avoided dyeing my full head because MATURITY.

Nearly two years and a new-ish boyfriend later (Joey and I have been together 14 months but I still think we’re a young couple k), it was time for a change. I missed having dark hair and everyone’s blonde these days, anyway!

I was aiming for a gunmetal gray. Like CB, but a bit more human.

A bit of research led me into purchasing three tubes of Pravana Silver because it was supposed to be on the steely blue side. I got them a month later and after some strand tests, I knew I was going to have to lighten my blonde a bit more.

I wanted to look super extra cute for Valentine’s Day so I whipped out my hair stuff last night and got to work. First, I bleached my hair and brought it to a level 8 blonde. I didn’t want to tone my hair anymore because it was late and I figured the worst that could happen is I get a head of patchy grey-silver-green hair. Then, I mixed Pravana Silver and a tiny bit of Adore Blue Black with Crazy Color Silver (useless, never buy. I got 4 bottles years ago and just use it to cut other dyes) and slapped it on my head. I put up my hair in little buns and went to bed at 1am.

(JK, that’s what I look like after makeup and doing my hair.)

Pravana Silver

Hmmm. It’s patchy……….. and I kinda look like an idiot………..

Pravana Silver

but I guess I can show up at work for a day looking like—

Pravana Silver

The Pravana Silver basically just toned the blondes that weren’t light enough. Had I not left it on overnight, I would have had a lovely ash blonde instead of a green mossy mess.

Too embarrassed to leave the house looking like I foolishly rolled around in moss and seaweed, I sent the office a message saying I WAS GOING TO SIT THIS MORNING OUT and got to work.

Jaw clenched, eyes closed, I reached for the bleach. I muttered a little prayer to the Patron Saint of Hair, slapped some coconut oil on, and did a quick bleach bath (which oddly left me with some pink bits).

Pravana Silver

Pravana Silver

Hehehehe Kulasa butt

I decided to not use Pravana Silver and just make do with the old bottles of dye I had: Special Effects Wildflower (blue/purple based), Special Effects Purple Smoke (just a tiny bit because it looks pink-based), Crazy Color Violette (purple/gray based), Crazy Color Silver mixed with lots Adore Blue Black. The Blue Black is a bit risky because have no idea what this dye’s base is; I’m guessing it’s green, like most blues and blacks.

I was really trying to avoid going blue because I didn’t like it the last time I had it (this was nice, though) but I didn’t really have a choice.

I kind of like it!

Adore Blue Black

I double processed my hair in a 12-hour period and even though I used coconut oil and K Pak, I’m pretty terrified of the bleach damage.

Adore Blue Black

I hope it fades to gray.

Adore Blue Black

Half of me wants to order more gray dye (found a brand with rave reviews) but half of me wants to hold on to my money and just stick to more natural colors after this. God, I hate ageing.

• Reply Chester February 13, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Love the new hair color. The patches at first weren’t a total disaster! Still lovely! ????

• Reply Helga February 14, 2015 at 3:06 am

@Chester, it was super ugg!!!! Thank you <3

• Reply Raisa February 13, 2015 at 11:21 pm

You look great. :D I’m so in love with the final color!

• Reply Helga February 14, 2015 at 3:07 am

@Raisa, heee thanks!

• Reply Trish February 13, 2015 at 11:47 pm

LOL-ed at Kulasa’s butt! I think this may be the first time I’ve seen a photo of you with dark hair. You can really pull off any hair color. BTW, how do you get those waves?

• Reply Helga February 14, 2015 at 3:05 am

@Trish, the curls are super easy! I just twist strands of my hair and then work the flat iron down 5 seconds a time and wait for it to cool before unfurling. Takes 5 minutes! (Don’t forget to hairspray!) I’ll do a quick vid when I remember to

• Reply Pink Haired Princess February 14, 2015 at 5:58 am

Christ…yeah that didn’t work. Man I can’t believe how patchy it came out actually. Fret not, you’ve totally saved it, it looks like it’s supposed to be a different colour at the ends (dip dyed rather than patchy), it’s great and totally unique. Pink dye is the worst, I still find it and I haven’t been pink for years and years, fucking nightmare to get rid of! I’ve been ill for over a year now, so haven’t touched my hair in all that time. Back in Nov 2013 it was a vivid violet purple, so now my roots have grown in so much, I have more than half a head of natural colour, then the ends have washed away to a light white-pink. I think people think I’ve dip dyed it on purpose! Can’t believe it’s still hanging on over a year later! I’m desperate to get back into colouring it though, but that’s another story. I’ve wanted to find a grey for a few years now but haven’t heard or found a dye for it, I’d love to know the one that got good write ups?

• Reply Krista February 15, 2015 at 11:44 am

Whoa. What an adventure. This is so fun to read, but knowing that you had a lot of trouble for the color you want makes me feel bad for having fun. Glad the color ended up well, tho! Good thing you do your research well. I think I’m gonna call you the ‘Dye Lord’ from now on.

• Reply Helga February 18, 2015 at 10:48 am

@Krista, Hahaha thanks!

• Reply Meloerise February 16, 2015 at 10:38 am

I love the color of the last one. Although for me I’d like it a bit lighter. But nonetheless, it’s awesome! :D

• Reply Helga February 18, 2015 at 10:48 am

@Meloerise, Thank you! I tried a lighter blue before and didn’t like it. I missed dark hair!

• Reply Yza | Wander Wonder February 23, 2015 at 4:29 pm

Cool hair! I had that color before but now it has faded to green. I must say, you rock any hair color! <3

• Reply Cheryn February 24, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Keep the blue I think it looks really good!