personal growth

5 “Bad Habits” I’ve Left Behind

I had a very shallow epiphany last Saturday night: I was sitting in the shadows at TxF, hoping no one would bother me because I just wanted to drink in silence. I opened a fresh pack of cigarettes and realized that I no longer smacked the pack upside down to, well, pack the tobacco— a habit I’ve had since I bought my very first pack of cigarettes over a decade ago. Friends and I even had dumb packing contests!

(I know, I know: smoking is The One Bad Habit I should leave behind. I eventually will.)

It’s silly, but I felt a little more grown-up realizing I had left behind a habit of my youth. This led me to think of other “bad habits” that I’ve dumped.

Music piracy.

The last album I downloaded illegally was 1989 but I went and purchased a physical copy when I could. Thanks to Spotify, I no longer need to torrent music. I can’t even remember the last time I listened to music on iTunes/my laptop (note to self: clean out music library). Of course, I pay a measly PHP129 a month for my premium account which is peanuts to what artists should be making. I tell myself it’s better than not paying anything!

Leaving my bed unmade.

When I lived alone and had an entire apartment to myself, I almost never made my bed because I found it pointless. Now that I have a tiny bedroom, anything that’s out of place makes everything else look disorganized. While I don’t particularly feel accomplished when I arrange my pillows and smoothen out my duvet cover before getting ready for work, it does make mornings a little easier.

Putting up with bullshit.

I had a friend who never told the truth. Everything out of this girl’s mouth was one big fat lie.

That might be an exaggeration but when the majority of your stories are made up, people tend to assume that everything you say is a lie.

This girl would bombard us with stories about her fake boyfriends and her fake interactions with strangers falling and fawning over her and other fake, highly unbelievable things that only happened when we weren’t around. We tolerated it until we couldn’t put up with the her anymore. She’s kind of a joke now.

I just find lying to people really disrespectful and a waste of their time. As we grow older, we have less time for meaningless relationships and bullshit.

Drunk binging.

I still get drunk and I still pig out but I don’t do them together anymore! After all, that’s how I got fat in the first place: stumbling home drunk at 4am to order Jollibee and eating PHP200 worth of junk before sleeping for the next 12 hours. Doing that twice a week every week was how I ended up ballooning to 130 pounds without even noticing it!

Not letting people like what they like.

I was an arrogant little shit who thought I had impeccable taste in everything. Delusional and fucked in the head, that’s me. Maturing means realizing how small I really am, especially when I’m surrounded by so many talented and creative friends. It’s quite humbling and for the first time in my life, I am very intimidated.

What about you? What bad habits have you dumped?

• Reply Jaya February 23, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Great read! Made me realized I’ve grown up too in certain aspects of my life!

I had a friend just like yours! She used to lie about SO MANY THINGS and even made people up! I’m still shocked I allowed myself to get sucked in to it but when I gave her up, I gave up another close friend too because who needs stuck up, self righteous people, right? Best thing I’ve ever done for myself!

I’ve also given up biting my nails (that was so difficult) and fitness is something I feel has to be a part of my life permanently as opposed to only working out when I want to lose weight!

Growing up can be pretty great, sometimes!

• Reply Helga February 25, 2015 at 10:43 am

@Jaya, I quit biting my nails for a while but I’m back to doing it again. So hard. :(

• Reply Justine February 23, 2015 at 5:32 pm

This is a really good idea of a blog post. Like you, I’ve left behind #1 (cleaned my iTunes too, it’s completely empty), #3, and #4. I’m curious about this friend in #3 and how can she get away with doing such things.. like what drives her and such.

• Reply Helga February 25, 2015 at 10:44 am

@Justine, I still haven’t gotten around to cleaning out my iTunes haha. I realize I can’t empty it out, though, because TAYLOR SWIFT.

• Reply Justine February 25, 2015 at 11:26 am

@Helga, The week after the new year I dumped my Docs, Music, Photos folders to my hard drive then I did a Disk Utility Erase Disk on my MBP and haven’t looked back since!

• Reply Myrtle February 23, 2015 at 5:39 pm

I am, most likely, at the peak of quitting smoking! I am now down to 2 sticks a day, sometimes none at all(during those times that I am really really lazy to go down of our office building)! I recently noticed the effect of smoking to my skin, and I’m not happy about it. :(

and I think you can quit, too! Maybe soon enough? :)

• Reply Helga February 25, 2015 at 10:44 am

@Myrtle, I’m lazy to smoke when I’m at work, too! I usually have 2-3 cigarettes a day but I smoke A LOT when I’m out drinking.

Smoking sucks :(

• Reply Corinth February 23, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Love this post Helga! I’m on the same boat as you regarding music piracy. The last album I torrented was a Justin Beiber album. HAHA. Regarding #3, I’ve had an ex boyfriend who was like that! And my sisters are surrounded by fake people and all I can think of is: how are they able to live with themselves?! :|

It’s nice to sit down and think about how we’ve grown up since the time we felt like we were “grownups”. I might make a similar post like this since I’m running low on topics to post and this is actually one worth sitting down to write about. :) Thanks!!

• Reply Helga February 25, 2015 at 10:45 am

@Corinth, I’d love to read yours! :)

• Reply Olivia February 23, 2015 at 9:09 pm

One of my worst habits is that I tend to not attend gatherings/invites from people I’d actually enjoy hanging around with. Like, if you invite me out today for dinner tomorrow, I’d be down for it so I’ll say yes. Then tomorrow comes and I’m just… so sorry I can’t come. And I don’t even have a valid reason, I just can’t make myself come when I don’t feel like it even though I’ve already made a commitment. I should fucking leave that habit behind.

• Reply Helga February 25, 2015 at 10:45 am

@Olivia, GIRL I UNDERSTAND HAHAHA I am lazy and would rather stay home, too.

• Reply Jean February 24, 2015 at 12:04 am

I have been trying to quit smoking and so far, so good. I’ve only had a stick in two months. It feels great but I still sometimes crave. I hope I can really commit to this.

One thing I want to do is to stop dillydallying at night. I should just finish everything that needs to be done and go to bed. I do a lot of nonsense at night which can be better spent sleeping.

• Reply Helga February 25, 2015 at 10:45 am

@Jean, Good job on cutting down on smoking! Kainggit.

• Reply Trish February 24, 2015 at 12:19 am

One bad habit I kicked out of my system would be eating lots and lots of junk food. I gained a lot of weight about a year and a half ago after a break-up and I ate with my ~feelings~, justifying that I deserve whatever I wanted. LOL. But I’ve managed to keep my weight down the past year, tho I still need to shed a few pounds. :)

• Reply Crisel February 24, 2015 at 2:30 am

Another lovely post. Congratulations,seems like you’ve matured a lot. :)

• Reply Chester February 24, 2015 at 1:52 pm

This post made me think the bad habits that I’ve dropped. Honestly, I can’t think of any but last year, I learned to let go of people. Way back before, I’m really the type who keeps. Even if we just met, I consider you already a friend. If we have talked for a day or so, we’re already close friends. But I realized that people are meant to be just acquaintances and not friend “friends.”

• Reply Alissa February 24, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Good for you that you decide to drop your bad habits. I have some too, I mean, who doesn’t right? It’s usually connected with laziness and lack of motivation. I wish it was that easy. But I should change.

• Reply Roxanne February 27, 2015 at 7:24 pm

OMG I have the same experience with that kind of friend! Hahaha! I had this friend in college who’s gay and he always tells us stories about his relationships and sex life. He even told us he had sex with 20 guys already. After a few years of putting up with his bullshit and fake stories, I finally had enough and I’m not friends with him anymore. Last year, I heard he finally confessed to his close friends that he’s still a virgin.

Anyway, I used to drink every single day when I was a freshman in college. I already got rid of that kind of lifestyle a few years ago though but I still drink from time to time, not as much as before though.

• Reply Krista March 3, 2015 at 11:05 am

I stopped drinking beer! I’m trying to quit alcohol in a few years, so I’m taking baby steps. Beer is the first thing I had to let go. My binge drinking is instantly removed after quitting beer.

• Reply Romila Marie August 6, 2015 at 1:16 pm

I think I know who your ‘friend’ was haha small world.

I don’t think I ever quit a bad habit (except now I don’t stash as much chocolates/chips as before!)