6 Things I Love In a Blog

Six things I love in a blog besides its content, of course!

1. About Me Page

I was browsing Instagram a while back and came across this adorable style blogger. Interest piqued, I clicked to visit her blog but a quick glance of the latest posts gave me the impression that there wasn’t much to see or read; it was all just nice photos of her outfits. The About Me page also told me nothing about her— just a few words stating her interests, which were nothing special to begin with: food, arts, music etc.

So cute and so pretty, but so dull.

I love a beautifully written About Me page because it’s usually the second thing I check out when visiting a blog for the first time. It doesn’t have to be long but it has to be compelling enough to make me (a new reader) want more of you (in a non-sexual way). Like, I don’t need to know if your favorite color is blue or if you’re nuts about chocolate because let’s be real— who isn’t?! That’s boring stuff! Don’t rest on pretty or body like Carmen Carrera on RPDR season 3. Let your personality S H I N E.

2. Pretty Graphics

Once upon a time, a blog could get by with just text, but times have changed. Images are necessary because we’re a very visual culture obsessed with beautiful pictures and Instagram shelfies (I know I am). I’m more apt to read a blog that has attractive photos.

If you don’t have the time, equipment, or skills to take pretty images, you can just use free stock photo image sites such as Unsplash (my favorite) or Pixabay.

I also like it when the photo’s width is bigger than or matches the content!

3. Featured, Favorite, or Popular Posts

I think we should always highlight 3-5 of our favorite or most popular posts to drive more traffic to them. Chances are, a new reader will find them useful and will want to keep coming back regularly.

One of the reasons I got the Sabana theme was for the post carousel below the header. It’s one of the first things my visitors see and it’s also super easy to update/change.

4. Readable Text/Fonts

Don’t fuck with your fonts. Seriously. There’s nothing wrong with keeping it simple and sticking to the conventional. If you want your blog to be different or to stand out, focus on overall design and content. Don’t write whole entries in bold or italics (so hard to read!), in all caps (WHO THE HELL), or in painful fonts (*Courier New, Century Gothic and any typewriter or script fonts). Select a nice, readable font size, too. And for the love of all things good and holy, DO NOT COMBINE ALL THREE.

5. A (Clean) Sidebar

We really don’t need to know which country your visitors came from!

It’s just preference, but I prefer two-column over one-column themes (don’t get me started on masonry/magazine themes, fucking bane of my brain). My sidebar used to be cluttered with so much shit and I’m pretty chuffed I’ve managed to trim the fat with this new look.

6. A Back to Top Link

I can’t believe so many people forget to stick one in their footer! It only takes a couple of minutes and saves visitors from having to keep scrolling up.

Are there specific things you love that draw you to certain blogs? :)

• Reply Chester March 12, 2015 at 3:24 pm

After reading this I realized that I look at the same things too when I hop into a new blog. About Me pages have to divert from the slumbook formats where you basically fill up a bio data. Haha. No one’s interested with the shit. But truth be told, it’s really hard to construct a witty and catchy about me section. I remember it took me more than an hour to write mine but still ended ‘meh.’

My favorite free stock images source is DeathToStock! Second is Unsplash. <3

• Reply Helga March 13, 2015 at 1:15 pm

My About Me changes every so often and it also takes me more than an hour to write! I tweak it constantly, too! Haha.

• Reply Jaya March 12, 2015 at 3:26 pm

You’ve pretty much listed everything down! Oh god, remember the days when people actually had music automatically playing when you visit their blog then you would have to fumble over yourself just to find their damn controls to turn the music off?? Oh my god. Right now, the equivalent of that, to me, are those magazine themes. Haha!

• Reply Helga March 13, 2015 at 1:15 pm

• Reply Corinth March 12, 2015 at 3:50 pm

I don’t think I have anything else to add. You got the basics covered, pretty much. I agree with what Chester said. My about me page sucks! I need to write up a better one and I’ll probably ask Jorge to help me with that. And I totally agree with the personality thing. It’s always nice to get to know the person you’re following on a personal level.

• Reply Helga March 13, 2015 at 1:17 pm

About Me pages are so hard to write!!!

• Reply Mikli March 12, 2015 at 4:20 pm

V helpful! Thanks Helga! I have no idea what I’m doing!

• Reply Dani March 12, 2015 at 5:00 pm

WORD! I love reading About Me pages too. I almost never mind faulty grammar as long as the blogger’s personality shines through.

Also, what Jaya said about music on auto-play.

• Reply Helga March 13, 2015 at 1:18 pm

I snicker at faulty grammar hahahahaha I CAN’T HELP IT! :(

• Reply Joyce March 12, 2015 at 6:31 pm

I’m an asshole, but I check it the site is responsive. Even though my currently dead blog still isn’t hahaha! And yes, I hate those magazine/grid layouts too!

Basically, I want to be able to scroll down a blog and read its content in reverse chronological order. Read Mores are fine. Also if it’s a niche blog, the tags/taxonomy better work. If I want to see only the burger posts I don’t want to have to swim through everything.

Also, I get sad when the commenting isn’t Disqus or don’t gravatars. :(

Arte ko!

• Reply Helga March 13, 2015 at 1:19 pm

My old theme wasn’t responsive! Such a pain. And I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t like grid layouts.

• Reply Aneth March 12, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Oh my god, you are so in point! I agree to every single thing that you listed here. Just like you (and most readers), when I go blog hopping, I always go to the blogger’s About Me section after the first entry that I’ve read. And with that, I’d know if I need to follow them or not :)

• Reply yza marzan March 12, 2015 at 7:14 pm

everything you said is so on point! Haha! I look at the ‘About Me’ page too. Heck, I think its the hardest post I have ever written! Also, number 5. Yay to minimalism. :)

• Reply Beauty By Tellie March 12, 2015 at 9:02 pm

And since blogger crush kita, I take it these are ligaw tips I have to do para magood shot sayo <3

BUT SERIOUSLY! I like these things, too. I just get so disheartened tinkering with the non-writing element of my blog because I'm such a tech noob. But yes to all, especially the clean sidebar bit!

• Reply Helga March 13, 2015 at 1:23 pm

TELLIE, U R SO FUNNY!!!! ♥

• Reply Mikyu Maglasang March 12, 2015 at 9:05 pm

I’m usually not the type who “judges the book by its cover”, but when it comes to blogs and sites in general, the theme/layout is the first thing I assess. :)))

• Reply Helga March 16, 2015 at 12:12 pm

I dislike ugly themes/layouts, too, hehehehehe.

• Reply Paoline March 12, 2015 at 10:42 pm

I agree with everything! And also with Joyce’s comment about responsive layouts since I usually read blogs while I’m on my way to work, on my mobile phone.

• Reply Paoline March 12, 2015 at 10:46 pm

I agree with everything! And also with Joyce’s comment about responsive layouts since I read blogs on my mobile while on my way to work.

I’m also very partial to blogs which have a simple (but not boring!!) Color palette, like yours! :)

• Reply Helga March 16, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Aww, thank you!!! :)

• Reply Raisa March 13, 2015 at 6:35 am

Was the blog Atlantic Pacific? Haha I love her style! But she never writes anything, just pictures. At least she hasn’t said anything problematic.

I feel a bit awkward about my own About page, because I don’t like talking about myself (even though I have a whole blog dedicated to me, derp). I guess I just don’t know what to say. I like gaming and sleep. That’s everything about me.

I love blogs with big font sizes! I have a pretty large monitor resolution, and a lot of blogs look small to me. :( I hope people won’t be afraid to scale up their sites eventually, especially when responsive design exists. I’m not very picky beyond that. It’s not my blog naman. They can do what they want.

• Reply Helga March 13, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Not AP! First time I saw her blog today because of your comment hahahaha.

I used to love teeny tiny font sizes back in my LJ days because it was the trend lol.

• Reply Alissa March 13, 2015 at 12:59 pm

I look at the same things for a blog too especially the about me page. I would constantly change mine cos I want to make it better. You really have a nice blog! :)

• Reply Helga March 13, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Thanks, Alissa! I think it’s important to refresh your About Me page and sidebar profile every couple of months. Even a new photo would do!

• Reply Corinna March 13, 2015 at 1:01 pm

I agree with most of the things you listed, but a scroll to top button isn’t really necessary. I already have enough plugins on WordPress that I cringe to add more and I’m not tech savvy enough to figure out how to manually implement anything in the footer. I use my home and end buttons all of the time for just that purpose. Also I actually tend to like italics in certain fonts because it pretties up the words. I understand it can be harder to read, although I’m not ready to give up my italicized quotes from couples in favor of block quotes or other eyesores. I think it just depends on the font chosen and how well the stylized effects are implemented.

• Reply Helga March 13, 2015 at 1:21 pm

@Corinna, I use italics, too. I was talking about ENTIRE POSTS in italics or bold. So painful to the eyes!

• Reply Cae March 13, 2015 at 2:35 pm

On point! Although it can be a pain in the ass when they take minimalism the wrong way and end up making their blogs look dull.

• Reply Helga March 16, 2015 at 10:40 am

I’m still learning how to be a minimalist but not boring! It can be quite tricky.

• Reply Renz Bulseco March 13, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Agree with the “About Me” page because it basically talks about who you are as the site’s owner. And yeah, unsplash is my new favorite stock photo site. Awesome site. :)

• Reply Helga March 16, 2015 at 10:41 am

I wish my photos were super pretty like Unsplash’s!

• Reply Romila Marie March 13, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Ooh guilty with 1 & 5! I just can’t write ‘about me’ pages! Friendster palang – wala nang kwenta profile ko haha :(

• Reply Helga March 16, 2015 at 10:41 am

It takes time!

• Reply Elle Strange March 15, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Those things too plus a wide theme. Haha. I dunno why, but wide themes like yours are easy to my eyes. Simple themes too. I don’t like a very colorful blog. Lol.

• Reply Helga March 16, 2015 at 10:41 am

Thank you! I love color but I try to keep it down haha.

• Reply Elle Strange March 21, 2015 at 1:53 am

@Helga, Yours are okay actually, pastels are very soothing to the eye. :D

• Reply Jhanz March 15, 2015 at 11:43 pm

I mostly focus into the content and graphics. I really hate bloggers who copy+paste PRs on their sites, and those blogs that doesn’t say anything about them, except that they like kissing different brands’ ass just to get freebies (okay so much hate, I’m stopping now). A huge turn on if blogs also has a bunch of great photos + artworks + super nice types! :)

Although, the “about me” part kind of made me feel guilty. I feel like mine is just plain blabber and nothing substantial. Haha!

• Reply Helga March 16, 2015 at 10:53 am

Those are the worst blogs hahaha I see so many of them.

• Reply yan April 19, 2015 at 8:46 pm

spot on! #5 haha i think i have that widget, though knowing which country the visitors came from is more of a note-to-self XD if i see a nice layout which isn’t responsive, i die bit. XD but what really draws me to follow a blog is the way it’s written! following yours cos i’m loving your entries <3