hair & beauty

15 Crazy Colored Hair Problems

Crazy Colored Hair Problems | Adore Blue Black |

“What country are you from?”

I didn’t know people with pink hair were native to a specific country.

(Also, how awkward does Crazy Colored Hair Girl Problems sound???)

Crazy Colored Hair Problems | Adore Blue Black | |

1. Stains. Stains everywhere. On towels, pillows, clothes, your bathroom, your fingers, your fingernails, and even the keyboard. But not the body fluid type stains, thankfully! The color mostly stops bleeding after the first few days and you think it’s finally safe to go back to white sheets and yellow towels BUT YOU WERE WRONG.

2. Being scared of the rain and/or sweating too much. Stained clothes and skin aren’t cute when you’re out in public!

3. Washing your hair with cold water to make the color last longer. What a fucking pain and it gets old real quick.

4. Constantly asking yourself— Will this color clash with my hair? Can I do blue on blue? Red on red? Pink on pink???

5. Drunk girls going “OMG HOW DID U DO UR HAIR???” and wondering if it’s a conversation worth having because they’re drunk and you can’t really condense your whole hair history in 5 seconds. “I bleached it” usually works well, though!

Crazy Colored Hair Girl Problems |

When I was cute.

6. Having people constantly tell you that your hair has faded/isn’t the same color as it was last week. I KNOW, I HAVE EYES, I HAVE A MIRROR. And nothing stays the same forever okay!!!

7. Lame jokes. “Ha ha, will your baby come out of your vagina with pink hair? Ha ha.” Yes. Because that’s how science works.

8. Having to re-dye every 2 weeks unless you’re aiming for pastel hair.

9. Having to bleach your roots every month.

10. When bleach damage rears its ugly head two months later.

Crazy Colored Hair Girl Problems |

When I was sexy.

11. Strangers asking if they can touch your hair.

12. When people say Girl X and Girl Y did it first. Who cares! I do what I want!

13. Worrying about what your boyfriend’s parents or grandmother think of your hair.

14. Looking like an ageing scene kid (minus the big razored hair).

15. Wondering if you’ll still stand out with normal hair. :( (Of course you will!)

Is there an age limit on unnatural hair colors? At least once a day, I find myself thinking of giving up the bleach and the Special Effects and just go back to boring box dye brown because I’m not some Tumblr teen hipster anymore (and even those girls have moved on from crazy colored hair).

I also read a while back that you’re supposed to say bye to Manic Panic once you’re in your late 20s but that was on Buzzfeed or Thought Catalog and we all know those two sites don’t count for shit. Anyway, I hate both of them for making me second thought my YOU KEEP DOING YOU, GIRLFRIEND attitude.

Read about The Cons of Having Pink Hair.

Do you have any #CrazyColoredHairProblems (what a mouthful!) to contribute? :)

• Reply Aneth March 25, 2015 at 6:47 pm

I tried going blonde on late 2012 which I kinda regretted. The main #CrazyColoredHairProblem that I had way back then was the funds for my hair maintenance which resulted to 1) not keeping the (whole) blonde hair for a long time, 2) completely damaged hair, and 3) people always asking me how did I do my ombre hair (which irked me every time I get that question). I had to wait a very long time before all the bleached hair can be chopped already (without having a barber’s cut) and finally, I was able to have every single strand that has bleach cut on Sept last year. I am now living with my natural hair!

• Reply Helga March 27, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Bleached hair needs a lot of TLC and it’s so expensive! Tho my K Pak last for 2 years so the $40 price tag was totally worth it.

• Reply Clarisse March 25, 2015 at 7:37 pm

RELATE!! I had green and then blue and as I write this my hair is soaked in a homemade toner to get rid of the green so I can change to purple. I realized from the onset that having a full head of colored hair will require bleaching every few weeks so I opted for ombre because I’m too lazy to even comb it most days, how am I gonna muster enough energy to go bleach it?! =)) And lol fab hair don’t care even if I age in purple hair ? *crazy colored kitty snuggles*

• Reply Helga March 27, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Hahaha I use tomato paste/sauce to remove green tones in my hair!

• Reply Olivia March 25, 2015 at 7:54 pm

When I was 14 I dyed my hair purple when nakalugay and green when nakatali. I basically turned myself into an avocado. The roots didn’t bother me as much but I did not understand how the chemicals worked then, I just did as I was told by whoever that guy I bought those dyes from. Ayun, I got a severe case of the flakes not long after like freaking snow anywhere I go. So, I couldn’t go anywhere. When I went back to my natural hair color – black, I swore I won’t dye it unnaturally again. I’ve been doing well. I’m 21 now and still keeping that promise so far, but the urge to succumb to the hipster call is very tempting. I want to have crazy-colored hair too :( despite the hassle. Hahaha!

• Reply Helga March 27, 2015 at 5:50 pm

I’ve never had a problem with dandruff! You should give it another shot. :)

• Reply Paoline March 25, 2015 at 8:27 pm

I envy your 1) bravery in switching hair colors 2) creativity with the color combinations and 3) making each crazy color work! The first time I dyed my hair brown (just a boring brown!), I got scared because it might not turn out okay.

Keep doing it!! :)

• Reply Helga March 27, 2015 at 5:55 pm

It’s just hair! It grows back!

I miss dark natural hair, tho!

• Reply Nickle Love March 25, 2015 at 8:32 pm

I look up to you and your crazy colored hair. It’s something I wish I was able to do but too lazy to. Plus I don’t think they allowed that at work, but I’m in between jobs now so I’m considering it. I don’t think I would, so I would just look at you and your crazy colored hair.

• Reply Helga March 27, 2015 at 6:08 pm

Hope you find work real soon, Nickle! :)

• Reply Laura March 25, 2015 at 8:43 pm

My hair never stains anything! Except maybe the first shampoo after dyeing, then my nail polish turns green. I feel you with the cold water though. Especially in winter -_-

• Reply Helga March 27, 2015 at 6:13 pm

I turned my Apple keyboard pink once mehehehe.

• Reply Crystal March 25, 2015 at 11:28 pm

Your hair is the same color of a wig I have. I love it! I have a problem with stains, but it’s from my spray tan. Dark sheets from now on.

• Reply Helga March 27, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Mmm dark gray sheets sound super sexy haha

• Reply yza marzan March 26, 2015 at 3:15 am

STAINZ everywhere. Even my favorite sweatshirt. :( also, not knowing what color your hair will be in after the dye fades. My purple turned to dark blue turned to lumot green because I did not bleach my hair prior to applying hair dye. Im still scared of what will happen if I bleached my hair.

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 11:55 am

My faded blue hair is so ugly. :(

Bleaching is so damaging but you can minimize the damage naman!

• Reply aqua March 26, 2015 at 3:34 am

off topic, have you considered vlogging in youtube? it just crossed my mind. with all the concerts & restaurants you go to plus your daily life, i think you’d make a good vlogger. check out michael castro & kandeeland’s channels if you have time. bye!

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 11:56 am

I’m so awkward!!! But I’ve been meaning to give it a shot. I have a nice camera now and I can ask Joey to edit videos for me haha.

• Reply Corinth March 26, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Number 5 and your photo captions cracked me up! :) I love this post, and it made me triple think about dyeing my hair a pastel pink because I don’t like high-maintenance anything. :( Your pink hair is still my favorite! <3 And keep doing it! I saw an old lady at work today with a "birdy" kind of haircut with bright blue and violet colors. I think the colors didn't match her cut because she looked like a bird's head to me, (I was laughing about it out loud with my co-worker) but I salute that kind of confidence, something I don't think I'll ever have!

Keep doing you, boo!

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 11:56 am

I kinda wanna go back to pastel pink!!!

• Reply Raisa March 26, 2015 at 2:22 pm

You’re still cute and sexy!

You know when the directions say rinse off the dye until the water runs clear? That never happens. And then it rained today, and my first thought was “NO MY HAIR.” Ugh, why did I do this haha.

I still see women in their 50s rocking the pink hair. If they can do it, so can we! Age doesn’t define what you can and can’t do.

• Reply Beauty By Tellie March 26, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Please edit your “about me” to: cutie(sexy)writer!

The craziest I have gone is a super deep black-blue. Touching on fashion choices and clashing colors: NONE OF MY MAKEUP WORKED AFTERWARD. All my pinks, corals and oranges made me look like Marilyn Manson! I had to buy a new set of color cosmetics (lipstick, blush) just to look healthy.

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 11:58 am

Whaaaaat! But dark black blue sounds rly yummy and… parang black lang? hahaha.

• Reply Cherry March 26, 2015 at 8:00 pm

Dear Helga,

I’m loving every blog posts you’re doing. I don’t have crazy colored hair though.

i ship you and joey so much

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 11:59 am

Thank you, Cherry! :)

• Reply Gelleesh March 26, 2015 at 8:02 pm

I’ve always wanted to have a crazy colored hair. My pink tips was the best I can do because work won’t allow it. Boo. Uptight people’s common reaction would be:

1. Okay ba yan sa boyfriend mo?
    2. Parang ganyan yung kulay nung feather duster na nakita ko last time.
    3. It’s just a phase.
    4. Bata ka pa kasi eh.
    5. Masaya ka ba sa ginawa mo?

Hahahaha! But they’re already reviewing our company handbook and I’m wishing na they could change the part where it says: “no flashy hair dyes.” Once they do, I’m going all crazy. Haha!

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 11:57 am

Wow, bawal talaga flashy hair color? :(

• Reply Steff March 27, 2015 at 3:50 am

I had crazy bright bright red hair 2 years ago and I had problems picking the color of my shirt :( and If I do black shirt and red hair people kept looking at me thinking i’m some kind of emo kid. I can only pull off white shirts if I had those crazy hair that’s why I had lots and lots of white shirts.

Sometimes I wish there would be a post i could read on what’s best shirt color to wear with this kind of hair color hahahha i know. crazy.

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 11:58 am

Hahahaha I just wear anything! Altho I cringe when I look back at photos and see me with neon pink hair wearing a bright pink top. Ugh.

• Reply Emma Deer March 27, 2015 at 10:34 am

Haha, love this post! I dyed my hair every color in the rainbow all throughout middle school and high school and honestly felt and heard all of the things in this post!

The only reason dying my hair with fun colors is because I got job after job after job that wasn’t cool with the crazy colored hair. To this day (and I’m nearly 29), if I could, I’d have fun hair colors! It’s unfortunately not an option for me right now… but some day (soon) when I’m rich and famous and working for myself, I’ll revert back :)

? Em

• Reply Jhanz March 27, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Always wanted a crazy hair color but never pushed through because it’s too high maintenance (I don’t even like combing!) and I don’t think I’ll ever be ready for that kind of commitment lol

Love your blue hair right now, tho! <3

• Reply Chester March 27, 2015 at 5:42 pm

I enjoyed reading this post even if I haven’t experienced having colored hair. And I don’t think I’ll ever attempt to do it na. Helga, your hair always look good esp the color you have right now.

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 11:59 am

Thanks, Chester! I’m sawa na, tho, lol.

• Reply Priscila March 27, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Love blue, it perfect!!
    Kisses from Spain.
    Xoxo, P.

My Showroom

• Reply Bless April 1, 2015 at 12:38 pm

#CrazyColoredHairProblems: Worrying about getting abducted while walking home at night! Becauss, you know, we’re like a walking light bulb to other people. I almost don’t go out late at night anymore I think I’ve developed a phobia hahahaha

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 11:59 am

• Reply Jamie April 1, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I wish I have enough courage to try those colors. I get so conscious with other people’s reaction.

I did DIY balayage the other day and it wasn’t as obvious than I’d intended to be. Huhu!

• Reply Mikyu Maglasang April 2, 2015 at 8:41 am

I’ve always found crazy hair colors interesting but never had the guts to try it. I don’t think it’s appropriate in our office hahaha. I have natural brown hair but some parts are greying. I’ve heard #grannyhair is trending, though? Hahahaha!

• Reply Saerra April 14, 2015 at 10:53 am

I really want to try getting colored hair, but unfortunately my parents don’t permit me to do it. Hopefully that will change when I get older haha. But really? Stains? My room has an all white theme so that will be a problem when I get my hair dyed. By the way, you rock those crazy colors!

• Reply Jennifer Wapaño May 1, 2015 at 9:39 am

I can totally relate to everything you’ve listed!! :D I started dyeing/bleaching my hair when I was still in High School. At first it was just plain highlights and then dyeing it brown. Until when I stepped in college, I was bored. So I tried orange, and then red, pink, green and blue highlights, grey, and then my current hair which is purple. People always stare but I didn’t really care. Even the little kiddos turn the heads around and wonder if my hair is real. ^^.

I even experienced the super dry, stringy when wet hair because of too much bleaching. I was an addict haha. I didn’t know the concept of bleaching hair to white before so I tried bleaching it overnight, hence the elastic hair. I thought I’d go bald. That was the worst experience of my life. Had to tie my hair always ’cause it looked so bad with my hair down. Now that I’m 24, working (the company I work for doesn’t have any problems with crazy hair, thank goodness!), I am dying to bleach my hair again and color it purple/blue. My roots have grown out since I was pregnant. So excited to experiment again! :)

• Reply Thery May 30, 2015 at 11:42 am

I say I can definitely agree with what you posted in #12 in this blog entry. It’s that I have nothing against this famous local “pop-rock” singer who’s famous for dyeing her hair in violets or pinks and reds and now gone blonde but whenever people see me sporting either my pink or red hair a few months back then, i just don’t like how they compare you and that person…. who also dyed her hair… you know, they look at you, smirk and say (name of this local female “pop-rock” singer) thus making you feel as if you imitated her or what bec. some other people know, or thought, she’s the one who first started / made famous dyeing hair crazy colors… especially if you tried visiting the province or going to Manila (especially in Divi or Quiapo, etc.) or even in the Southern part of Metro Manila… But I guess, I wasn’t alone when I say a similar irritated fb post of Alodia G.’s sister Ashley Gosiengfiao that when she dyed her hair blue, and she’s a musician as well, some people day the same to her which is really irritating…

• Reply Helga May 31, 2015 at 11:56 pm