“What country are you from?”
I didn’t know people with pink hair were native to a specific country.
(Also, how awkward does Crazy Colored Hair Girl Problems sound???)
1. Stains. Stains everywhere. On towels, pillows, clothes, your bathroom, your fingers, your fingernails, and even the keyboard. But not the body fluid type stains, thankfully! The color mostly stops bleeding after the first few days and you think it’s finally safe to go back to white sheets and yellow towels BUT YOU WERE WRONG.
2. Being scared of the rain and/or sweating too much. Stained clothes and skin aren’t cute when you’re out in public!
3. Washing your hair with cold water to make the color last longer. What a fucking pain and it gets old real quick.
4. Constantly asking yourself— Will this color clash with my hair? Can I do blue on blue? Red on red? Pink on pink???
5. Drunk girls going “OMG HOW DID U DO UR HAIR???” and wondering if it’s a conversation worth having because they’re drunk and you can’t really condense your whole hair history in 5 seconds. “I bleached it” usually works well, though!
6. Having people constantly tell you that your hair has faded/isn’t the same color as it was last week. I KNOW, I HAVE EYES, I HAVE A MIRROR. And nothing stays the same forever okay!!!
7. Lame jokes. “Ha ha, will your baby come out of your vagina with pink hair? Ha ha.” Yes. Because that’s how science works.
8. Having to re-dye every 2 weeks unless you’re aiming for pastel hair.
9. Having to bleach your roots every month.
10. When bleach damage rears its ugly head two months later.
11. Strangers asking if they can touch your hair.
12. When people say Girl X and Girl Y did it first. Who cares! I do what I want!
13. Worrying about what your boyfriend’s parents or grandmother think of your hair.
14. Looking like an ageing scene kid (minus the big razored hair).
15. Wondering if you’ll still stand out with normal hair. :( (Of course you will!)
Is there an age limit on unnatural hair colors? At least once a day, I find myself thinking of giving up the bleach and the Special Effects and just go back to boring box dye brown because I’m not some Tumblr teen hipster anymore (and even those girls have moved on from crazy colored hair).
I also read a while back that you’re supposed to say bye to Manic Panic once you’re in your late 20s but that was on Buzzfeed or Thought Catalog and we all know those two sites don’t count for shit. Anyway, I hate both of them for making me second thought my YOU KEEP DOING YOU, GIRLFRIEND attitude.
So. YOU KEEP DOING YOU, GIRLFRIEND.
Do you have any #CrazyColoredHairProblems (what a mouthful!) to contribute? :)