behind the scenes

Life Lately

Pressed Flowers | Life Lately |

1. My blog was offline for a few days.

I AM SORRY FOR THE DOWNTIME. I’m hosted on my ex’s server and his card on file expired. Generally, renewing shouldn’t be a problem but he had 2-step authentication on and he wasn’t getting the pin and GoDaddy swims through molasses when it comes to these things. That said, it’s time to stop freeloading off him (lol) and get my own hosting. I’ve been spoilt by unlimited disk space and bandwidth (and not having to pay a cent) but if you can recommend me some good web hosts, that would be fantastic!!!

2. I bought a dSLR.

Canon 700D | Life Lately |

Hey, is it Tumblr 2010 all over again???

I got my grubby little hands on a Canon 700D. My 450D (named Baby Girl) died on me, like, two years ago and I’ve been relying on iPhones since. Well, I want better quality photos and I don’t even know why since:

a) I’m not running a magazine spread-worthy blog,
b) I’m too soft and chunky for selfies (Joey sang a song for me yesterday, the first line goes: who is that cutie with the round tummy?), and
c) my house is ugly, like seriously, there isn’t a photo-friendly Minimalist Pixie Dream Girl corner with white walls and nice lighting and a plain textured background.

But who cares. This dSLR makes me feel L E G I T! Remember up until a couple of years ago, everyone and their miniature shih tzu had a dSLR and we would just smirk at all these wannabe photographers at the mall wearing their cameras like they were fucking necklaces?

Now everyone just uses their phones to take pics and not gonna lie, when I see someone in the wild snapping a photo with their phone, I go “lol she be Instagramming” whereas when I see someone using a dSLR, I go “oh wow, she must be a professional photographer! RESPECT!”

I wish I were kidding. Okay, I am; no one really cares about what you’re doing, we’re all too self-absorbed for that.

3. I’m sick.

And it sucks. I’ve been feeling gross since Monday but I powered through because these bills ain’t gonna pay for themselves. While everyone was out celebrating the start of the long weekend last night, I stayed in with Scandal and the cats.

4. All attempts at losing weight have failed.

5. I still hate summer.

I planned on going around our village today to gather more leaves and flowers to press for my collection but I went right back in to my cold, air-conditioned bedroom as soon as I stepped out of the house. It’s ugly out there!

What have you been up to lately? :)

• Reply Chester April 2, 2015 at 6:21 pm

ang hirap magpapayat! Haha alam na alam din ni Sherica yan and we’re kinda blaming summer. The heat makes me want to just stay at home and wolf down anything I see.

We’re heading to the beach on Sunday! Can’t wait!

• Reply Helga April 4, 2015 at 2:25 pm

JEALOUS OF BEACH even tho I’m too fat for the beach! We had plans for Pico but Joey’s fam cancelled because of Chedeng. Gago talaga tong si Chedeng haha/

• Reply Kam April 2, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Hi Helga, sorry if this is unsolicited advice but try to look into weightlifting. I hate cardio with a passion and having to diet, then I discovered weightlifting from /r/xxfitness. It’s actually quite fun and you can keep eating whatever, I eat about 2000 calories a day :P I’ve been at it for 5 months now, although the number on the scale isn’t moving much (muscle gainzz) I can fit back into a small and I’m feeling strong as fuck!

• Reply Helga April 4, 2015 at 2:26 pm

No worries! I had a membership at Circuit 360 back in 2013 and I enjoyed it. I considered signing up again since the BGC branch is near my office but… I got a dSLR instead HAHAHAHA.

• Reply Romila Marie April 2, 2015 at 7:21 pm

I hate summer, too! I don’t know how to dress for summer din (aka I hate shorts) kaya arghhh

Looking forward to more photos from you, though! I miss Tumblr 2010!

• Reply Helga April 4, 2015 at 2:26 pm

RIGHT??? I love sweaters and long-sleeved anything. I’m thinking of getting a bunch of kimonos haha.

• Reply Paoline April 2, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Ugh I hate summer too! The only thing that salvages it is that when it’s hot, I tend to not want to eat.

We went home to my mom’s house at Los Banos for a week and a half of vacation / wedding preps!

• Reply Helga April 4, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Man, I haven’t been to Los Banos in over a decade!

The heat makes me feel lazy to eat, too, but I still eat haha I’m hopeless. :(

• Reply Kathleen April 2, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I can’t help but comment na I’m happy may DSLR ka na ulit! (feeling close lang hahaha!) Looking forward sa mga creative self-portrait, just like in 2009 – 2011. And yes, ang hirap magpapayat. :'( It hurts to look back sa mga pictures ko nung 2009 – 2010.

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Hahaha, thanks, Kath!!!

• Reply Dre April 2, 2015 at 8:47 pm

It is getting hotter every day. I am lucky to have a centralized flat, and I wish I can stay in bed the whole day! And I have been thinking about getting my own DSLR. I’ve been using my sister’s, and I’ve been eyeing Fuji, but you said you opted for Canon, so I am kind of torn.

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Try and see if you can test the Fuji XA-2!

• Reply Jamie April 2, 2015 at 9:46 pm

“no one really cares about what you’re doing, we’re all too self-absorbed for that.”

So on point! I told my friend that when she was telling me nakakahiya to stand up just to take a photo of our food. LOL

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Diba! Haha I’ll look but I won’t judge or anything.

• Reply Mimi Gonzales April 2, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Aww, Tumblr 2010! I remember back then when everyone has their own dSLRs and I was there stuck with my mini point and shoot. Good thing you invested, though! :) Also, I am having trouble losing weight as well :( :( :( I can’t emphasize this enough but I really want to start losing some pounds! -.-

Have a good week ahead! :)

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Thanks, Mimi!

• Reply Carina April 3, 2015 at 12:10 am

LOOOL. I hate summer too! I’m so self-conscious about lugging around my SLR (which I have to do bec. I’m still on an iPhone 4 and that takes shit pics), but I just decided I ought to suck it up if I wanted decent photos for my blog—and myself! Congrats on the new cam, looking forward to awesome photos by you :D

And lol pano nga ba pumayat -_-

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 6:42 pm

It is day 1 of my diet and I want to eat all the sugars :(

• Reply Christine April 3, 2015 at 2:30 am

I hope you feel better soon Helga and get some much needed rest during Easter.

I can’t for the life of me commit to DSLR – wayyy too heavy for me to carry around especially when I travel since I carry a 10kg purse all the time. I still prefer my small Fuji x-m1.

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 6:42 pm

I want to get something from the Fuji X series eventually!

• Reply Jhanz April 3, 2015 at 3:19 am

Congrats on the new camera! Been itching to replace my dslr too, but nope, I’m too broke.

I used to love summer because school vacations, but now that I’m older (ugh) I totally agree with you: SUMMER SUCKS. It’s too hot, all the beaches and shit are crowded, and everywhere you go feels like sauna! Also, the pressure of seeing people on their bikinis, making me feel extra fat.

I hope all the summer heat would magically turn us all into a skinnier version of ourselves lol

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Sell your dSLR and use the money from that towards a new one! Tho I’m a big believer of not replacing something if it still works. :)

• Reply Raisa April 3, 2015 at 6:09 am

I second weightlifting! I still eat like crap but I’m slimming down. I weigh about the same, but I feel a lot less like a balloon.

I recently got a Sony RX100! I don’t take a lot of pictures anymore outside my blog, so I don’t need a DSLR but my camera’s quality is still so good. I love it so much.

• Reply Raisa April 4, 2015 at 8:00 am

HAH I forgot to mention hosts. :’D I’m with A Small Orange, and they’re awesome! Quick to reply to support tickets and reasonably-priced. I also hear that Stablehost is good, and Greengeeks if you’re interested in a host that uses renewable energy.

If you wanna look into free hosting, my friend Kya takes in people at No ads, and I’ve never heard any complaints.

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 6:44 pm

I’ll check those out! Thanks, Raisa!

• Reply Grace April 3, 2015 at 10:14 am

I hate summer too! I never go to the beach. I hate bitches.. I mean beaches! (lol) My heart beats way too fast from the heat. I get exhausted. Being in a heated environment is just pure torture. Anyway, congrats on having your new DSLR. Ako, hanggang hiram hiram nalang muna. Medyo nagloloko pa yung DSLR na hinihiram ko, kaya tiis tiis muna sa phone.

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 6:44 pm

I was fine with my phone camera but I needed something that does well in low light since my room is dark!

• Reply Corinth April 3, 2015 at 7:00 pm

I felt so happy when I saw that your website’s up and working again! I hope you feel better Helga and I’m really happy for your new DSLR! Your Number2 is so on point haha!! Anyway, I’m excited for better-looking pictures on your blog.

I wish naman na it was summer na here, because it’s still freaking cold!!! Let’s switch places.

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Thanks, Corinth!

• Reply Gelleesh April 3, 2015 at 7:07 pm

I hate summer. I love the cool December breeze. Whenever the boyfriend would stay at my place, we’d go all cuddly and stuff, but right now… I just want him a foot away from my skin at the very least. Option number 2 would be get an aircon for my room but then I’d have to adjust for the electric bills afterwards… Hmm.. Priorities. Hence I use the hashtag #IndependentGirlProbs

I feel like life had been pretty crappy lately. I gave up my social life to focus on work, I have overly stressed out and shit, and now I feel like I need to find that perfect work-life balance again. Oh… And at least stress helped me shed a few pounds but at the expense of so much… So please erase overworking in your list of “How to Lose Weight.”

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 6:46 pm

I really recommend investing in an AC unit! I think if you use it 6 hours a day, it won’t make a huge difference in your bill? Our bill ranges from 1500-1800 for 2 people (and we have 2 air-conditioning units). Plus, electricity might be cheaper in Pampanga!

• Reply Sherica April 4, 2015 at 3:53 pm

YAY for the new DSLR! I wanted to go mirrorless na! But I still am torn what to get exactly! Also, YES SUPER HIRAP TO LOSE WEIGHT </3 I had two weeks of cheat week!!!!! And I'm having a hard time going back to Keto =((((

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 6:46 pm

• Reply Aneth April 5, 2015 at 7:54 pm

AM I THE ONLY ONE HERE WHO LOVES SUMMER??? Lol. Anyways, so happy that I’m able to visit your blog again and happy for your new DSLR too! I always wished of having one but I can’t afford it :(

I hope you get better soon, girl!

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 6:47 pm

I THINK SO! Hahaha. Summer makes me angry. :(

• Reply yza marzan April 6, 2015 at 1:23 am

Congratulations on the new DSLR! Looking forward to see your shots! I am a nikon user (D3100) but I am planning to upgrade my body. I’m torn between getting Canon na or stick to Nikon. I’ve been eyeing the D7100 from nikon though. :)

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 6:47 pm

I’ve never had a Nikon dSLR but I think you should stick to what you’re comfortable with! :)

• Reply Krista April 6, 2015 at 11:56 am

The outside world is ugly during summer (unless you’re talking about beaches)! Stay indoors and stay sane!

• Reply Helga April 6, 2015 at 6:47 pm

I KNOW! You, too, Krista!