4 Ways to Earn Extra Money This Summer

4 Ways to Earn Extra Money This Summer | blog.ditz-revolution.net

Financial independence is one of those things I wish I learned as a young adult. I wasn’t born into a rich family but I have a mom who spoiled me (she still does, in a way) which kind of made me a little lax with money. Sometimes I wish I were given a harder time growing up so I’d have learned to hustle at an early age (okay, not really).

Making extra cash isn’t actually that hard, when you think about it. I’ve put together a list of four easy ways you can supplement your income (this summer). I hope you find something useful here!

1. Clean Out Your Closet

I’m working on having a uniform so I make it a point to clean out my closet at least twice a year to keep things simple and streamlined. The first time I did a major wardrobe overhaul, friends and I held a garage sale and I earned a pretty penny getting rid of clothes that no longer fit my aesthetic. It wasn’t a lot but it was enough to tide me over for a week!

Rounding up your friends and holding a group garage sale is one of the easiest ways to earn money. Choose an accessible location (we held ours at Moonleaf Maginhawa) and pick a date close to pay day. Don’t forget to promote the heck out of it on social media!

2. Recycle and Sell

It’s not glamorous but it helps the environment! Ask your folks or roommates to set aside recyclables such as tin cans and bottles (both plastic and glass) that you can exchange for cash at the nearest junk shop. It doesn’t make much but beggars can’t be choosers!

3. Apply for A Summer Job/Internship Program

Earning money when you don’t have four years of college under your belt is hard, you guys. I know this because I was once a broke college student who always found herself stuck indoors come summer because I didn’t have an allowance and no one would hire me. Luckily, there are paid internship programs students can apply for.

Summer is actually one of my favorite seasons at work because it’s when we get interns! We also have a new program in place where our interns are immersed in the different departments. This is a huge relief because copywriter interns are rare gems that need to be treasured (and used to death). Unfortunately, we only accept juniors and the applications for this summer are now closed.

Fret not, because you can try INKOMPASS. They offer a paid internship program (PHP26,000 personalized program that will help you acquire real skills for the real world) that’s specifically for sophomore students. If you’re competitive, driven, and keen on pursuing a successful career, you might want to give this a shot. It will look good on your CV, too! Check out the program and send in your application at www.inkompass.global.

4. Use Your Skills

These days, you’re pretty much set if you know your way around Photoshop or designing a website. I’m not that artistically talented and my web design skills are probably an 8/10 but I managed to make a living doing that part-time.

The trick is to aim for foreign customers because they’re willing to pay more! I used to charge $200 (minimum) for something as simple as WordPress theme customization and as much as $1500 for a full website. Score one big project for the summer and you’re good to go.

If you’re the crafty kind, you can create adorable things to sell online!

You can also each out and offer your services to small businesses. I do social media for Joey’s mom’s restaurant and handle the Instagram account of an independent baby brand. The extra income helps a lot and goes towards my credit card bill.

Do you have any financial tips for college kids?

• Reply Paoline April 10, 2015 at 11:29 am

I loved this! I also wasn’t born into a rich family and my mom raised us alone after our dad died. I used to work as student assistant in college in my Junior/Senior years because I have more free time / less units. Also, review centers are always looking for interns/teachers during summer for entrance exams! :)

• Reply Helga April 12, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Great tip for applying as review center tutors!

• Reply Jamie April 10, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Don’t we all love our mothers! (More so now because it’s my Mama’s birthday. Heehee!) I really want to apply somewhere too for this summer because getting delayed in school sucks. Nahihiya na rin ako kay Mama sa gastos niya. Although technically, it isn’t summer yet for us because our classes are until May. ~*globalization thingamajig*~

The fourth item on the list is perfect. I should probably start baking again. Or use my photoshop and photography, and all those skills that are going to be rusty if I don’t do so. Lol!

• Reply Helga April 12, 2015 at 11:10 pm

Good luck! Hope you find extra income. :)

• Reply Jean April 10, 2015 at 1:31 pm

I was just thinking the other day how to make more money because god knows I need it. I wanna be an intern. LOL

• Reply Helga April 12, 2015 at 11:11 pm

I wanna intern abroad but I think I’m too old na hahahaha.

• Reply Kaye C. April 10, 2015 at 1:48 pm

I wanted to try applying for that but I figured that I really have to focus on freelancing for now. Mind if I ask, I also have an experience in web designing and online marketing, but I’m just new to this freelancing thing so I haven’t really figured my way around this. Where do you get clients for these? Or any tips? The problems of being self-employed! :)

I’m glad I found your blog. It’s always nice to meet fellow bloggers that have, more or less, the same background as you do. :)

• Reply Helga April 12, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Try Craigslist or Best Jobs! I found my clients through my ex who’s based in the US. :)

• Reply Sherica April 11, 2015 at 12:09 am

I WANNA GET RID OF A LOT OF MY CLOTHES NARIN!! But I wanna sell them nalang sa province para mas marami bumili and I have no idea where to sell them in Manila except online :(

• Reply Helga April 12, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Instagram sale! @shopshericascloset hahahaha

• Reply Cae April 11, 2015 at 9:54 pm

The first one always works well and is definitely the easiest. All you have to do is take (good) pictures if you want to sell it online. No capital needed and whatsoever. And you’re good to go.

• Reply Helga April 12, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Very true!

• Reply Jhanz April 12, 2015 at 7:47 pm

I’ve always wanted to try summer jobs, pero korni sa pilipinas ang hirap e. Haha! :) But yes, buti na lang mas madali na maghanap ngayon ng options. :)

• Reply Helga April 12, 2015 at 11:12 pm

I always wanted to earn money baby-sitting pero wala talagang ganun dito hahahaha. I wanted my own Baby-Sitters Club.