Today, I am walking around in a dress with a huge wound on my knee for the world to see and it reminded me that once upon a time, I was ashamed of my legs because of my scars. This prompted me to compile a short list of things I no longer care about. Older and wiser, right? Maybe just a little bit.
In high school, I overheard a boy I knew telling his friends about this woman who had a banging body but it was such a shame that her legs had scars. That boy is an asshat and anyone who shares the same sentiment is also an asshat.
I have a ton of scars on my legs— evidence of a boyish childhood— that I hid under jeans and leggings until I decided some five years ago that I just didn’t care anymore. Legs are legs and they’re there to take you places so do with them what you wish.
2. Trends, looking fashionable, accessorizing.
I used to waste so much time getting ready because… well, because it was important to me. Now, I’m okay with keeping my clothes simple because I don’t need to look like I belong on Lookbook, anyway.
I’ve also managed to halve my wardrobe, making mornings easier. I already know what’s in my closet before I even open it and I’m comfortable wearing 80% of my clothes (the other 20% will need to go). On my list of to-dos is a summer capsule wardrobe, too.
You still won’t see me wearing flipflops unless I’m at home or at the beach, though!
Admittedly, I’m walking a fine line between being an introvert and being plain anti-social/rude. I prefer listening (eavesdropping, sometimes) and I can be painfully awkward around new people, resulting in me running my mouth and saying things I’ll spend the next few days agonizing over. Why bother???
I’m glad (and lucky) that Joey is all about networking and making connections because I’m more about beating at least two levels of Candy Crush Soda on a night out. Sometimes, I think I’ve forgotten how to carry a conversation.
4. Being different.
People put so much importance on breaking the mold and standing out and being different. That’s great and all but it’s also totally cool to be like everybody else, ya know? CASE IN POINT: HANDMADE BRUSH FONTS ON PICTURES. They’re on every other blog because it’s the current trend. If you like how it looks, then abuse the hell out of Manhattan Darling!
Don’t try so hard to be unique, is what I tell myself.
Things I Wish I Didn’t Give a Crap About:
Not being 120lbs at 5’2″. SUMMER IS THE WORST because most of my tops are sweaters or have long sleeves and I’m too self-conscious to bare my hamonado arms. My dSLR will be paid for in two months and I’ll be looking into signing up for Circuit 360 again after that.