personal growth

4 Things I No Longer Give a Crap About

Curated Records Singapore |

Today, I am walking around in a dress with a huge wound on my knee for the world to see and it reminded me that once upon a time, I was ashamed of my legs because of my scars. This prompted me to compile a short list of things I no longer care about. Older and wiser, right? Maybe just a little bit.

1. Scars.

In high school, I overheard a boy I knew telling his friends about this woman who had a banging body but it was such a shame that her legs had scars. That boy is an asshat and anyone who shares the same sentiment is also an asshat.

I have a ton of scars on my legs— evidence of a boyish childhood— that I hid under jeans and leggings until I decided some five years ago that I just didn’t care anymore. Legs are legs and they’re there to take you places so do with them what you wish.

2. Trends, looking fashionable, accessorizing.

I used to waste so much time getting ready because… well, because it was important to me. Now, I’m okay with keeping my clothes simple because I don’t need to look like I belong on Lookbook, anyway.

I’ve also managed to halve my wardrobe, making mornings easier. I already know what’s in my closet before I even open it and I’m comfortable wearing 80% of my clothes (the other 20% will need to go). On my list of to-dos is a summer capsule wardrobe, too.

You still won’t see me wearing flipflops unless I’m at home or at the beach, though!

3. Socializing.

Admittedly, I’m walking a fine line between being an introvert and being plain anti-social/rude. I prefer listening (eavesdropping, sometimes) and I can be painfully awkward around new people, resulting in me running my mouth and saying things I’ll spend the next few days agonizing over. Why bother???

I’m glad (and lucky) that Joey is all about networking and making connections because I’m more about beating at least two levels of Candy Crush Soda on a night out. Sometimes, I think I’ve forgotten how to carry a conversation.

4. Being different.

People put so much importance on breaking the mold and standing out and being different. That’s great and all but it’s also totally cool to be like everybody else, ya know? CASE IN POINT: HANDMADE BRUSH FONTS ON PICTURES. They’re on every other blog because it’s the current trend. If you like how it looks, then abuse the hell out of Manhattan Darling!

Don’t try so hard to be unique, is what I tell myself.

Things I Wish I Didn’t Give a Crap About:

Not being 120lbs at 5’2″. SUMMER IS THE WORST because most of my tops are sweaters or have long sleeves and I’m too self-conscious to bare my hamonado arms. My dSLR will be paid for in two months and I’ll be looking into signing up for Circuit 360 again after that.

What about you? What are things you are soooo over with?

• Reply Curves April 14, 2015 at 5:52 pm

im so over life right now i just cannot

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 11:27 am

GRABEEEE hahahaha

• Reply Romila Marie April 14, 2015 at 6:07 pm

I wish I don’t give a shit about my weight, too! But recently lang my Mom went to Divi to have my gown altered, and the mananahi was like, ‘ah yung mataba’! hahahahahahaha pwet niya sana mawala butas.

I tried circuit one time, and almost died.

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 11:28 am

Ang ganda ng pwet sana nya mawalan ng butas haha.

I went to the beach over the weekend and wore a swimsuit in public, in daylight for the first time in years! Ok lang naman. LOL.

• Reply Henzel April 14, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Someone asked me if I have social anxiety because I always bail out on social gatherings and parties. I would rather stay at home drooling over pinterest. But, yeah. Whatever. Hahahahah :))

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 11:28 am

I wish I could just stay home and watch my TV shows all the time but I like being around people… I just don’t like having to talk to them haha.

• Reply mae April 14, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Don’t say that!!! I’m 115 at 4’11” :(

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 11:28 am

115lbs and 4’11? of CUTE!

• Reply Jamie April 14, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Gahhh weight issues! In my case, I wish I actually try to lose weight for me. Because I keep thinking I should finally continue with the weight loss journey so that people stop bothering me and looking at me as if I am the biggest mistake in the world. I’m 5’6 and at 190lbs (or more I’m not sure anymore)! It is always, I will lose weight so those who judged me will be blown away. Hahaha! But seriously, I don’t think I’ve ever loved my body. Even when I was thin, I’ve always thought I was already so big. What confusion that is.

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 11:57 am

I also thought I was fat even at my skinniest. :(

Hope we can get over our body issues soon! I keep telling myself life is too short to be controlled by such issues but IDK, it’s still hard.

• Reply Trish April 14, 2015 at 10:50 pm

“Even when I was thin, I’ve always thought I was already so big. What confusion that is.” What Jamie said. I never felt I was thin ever because of my self-esteem issues way back and ~some~ people. But when I lost a certain number of pounds last year, I just told myself to maintain it. I would never be a skinny girl because I love food too much. Hahaha. Life’s so much better!

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 11:58 am

Yay for you! I’m slowly working towards being positive about MY body.

• Reply Elle Strange April 14, 2015 at 11:02 pm

1. Being the tallest and biggest in the group. Lol.
    2. If people thinks I’m five years older than my real age or so.

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 11:58 am

How tall are you? :)

• Reply Elle Strange April 23, 2015 at 11:13 am

Oh, I am 5’7″” tall, no heels. :”>
        How about youuu? :)

• Reply Helga April 23, 2015 at 11:14 am

5’2″ hehe. Average height for Filipinas!

• Reply Dani April 14, 2015 at 11:35 pm

Totally with you in everything! I have some varicose veins showing out from one of my legs (hindi pa naman siya super kadiri) that I used to feel so conscious about. One day I realized I just love wearing shorts too much to keep caring!

I hate socializing as well! Kind of hard when you’re working in an industry that loves small talk!

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 11:58 am

I actually don’t mind small talk! Hahaha.

• Reply Crystal April 15, 2015 at 12:09 am

I have a bad scar on my leg, it actually looks like a bullet wound, haha.

I’m over showing off my cleavage at the bar, lol. I used to constantly wear corsets to push them up to my chin, it was ridiculous. I’m also over going to bars in general. I’d rather just have dinner and some drinks.

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 11:59 am

I enjoy dinner and drinks at a friend’s more now!

• Reply Jean April 15, 2015 at 12:29 am

When I was bigger, it was easier to hide my fats because I was living in a temperate country. Then I moved back to the Philippines and huhuhuhu. I feel ya.

I no longer give a crap about what people would say or think. F*ck it, I’ll do what I want, when I want.

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 11:59 am

I don’t think you’ll ever be fat, Jean!

• Reply Riz April 15, 2015 at 7:11 am

When I go to a food joint all by myself, tapos oorder ako ng marami bc ALL MINE! Baka people think I’m so matakaw and unladylike, that’s why I’m alone. I stopped caring na lang kasi totoo naman e, I am matakaw! Hahaha! *nom nom nom nom nom

And saying no. I no longer care about other people’s feelings if the matter is not important. If I don’t want to, I won’t. Even if that person would result to hating me. That feeling won’t stay for long anyway, but being seen as a push-over will.

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 12:00 pm

I’m a big eater, too! And I never cared what people thought about that hahahaha.

• Reply Riz April 21, 2015 at 3:09 pm

@Helga, when you’re alone tapos you’re ordering for two kasi parang may judgment palagi hahahahaha

• Reply Ziba April 15, 2015 at 7:51 am

I’m done with apologizing. I used to say “sorry” for everything. Oh, you bumped into me? “Sorry.” From now on, I’m only sorry when I’ve actually been really bad.

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Go, you!

• Reply Abi April 15, 2015 at 8:38 am

I no longer care about pleasing people to keep them as friends. Those I tried to please before aren’t worth it anyway. I guess I’m at that age when I already know who my real friends are, even if I disappoint them some times.

• Reply Aneth April 15, 2015 at 6:31 pm

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 12:00 pm

That is so true.

• Reply Lea April 15, 2015 at 10:20 am

shaving/waxing my legs. and armpits. so katamad.

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Hahahaha. I still shave because it’s my preference.

• Reply Corinth April 15, 2015 at 2:38 pm

I wish I didn’t care about seeing my family around Whitehorse anymore. They still get to me somehow, sometimes. Thank God, that despite the fact that Whitehorse is a tiny city, I don’t really bump into my “Gonzalo” clan anymore.

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 12:01 pm

OMG I wanna make chismis! I loooove family issues haha.

• Reply edelweiza April 15, 2015 at 4:50 pm

I no longer give a crap about what other people say. It’s MY life and I will choose happiness always. :)

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Yup! Tune out the petty and mean comments!

• Reply Elaine April 15, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Same as you, I no longer care about scars and my skin imperfections! I always freak out when I see a new zit coming but now, I just don’t give a damn. I am also trying to hide scars in my legs that’s why I rarely wear dresses but I realized that if I want to wear this or that, those scars shouldn’t hinder me. I got tired of giving a crap about what other people will say.

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Scars aren’t the worst thing to have anyway!

• Reply Grace April 16, 2015 at 10:39 am

Like diamonds, stretch marks are forever! Honestly, I’m extremely self-conscious about my legs. I have this feeling (always) that I don’t look good in shorts so I don’t wear em. I wish I had guts to wear shorts.. I wish I don’t give a damn care about my stretchmarks :(

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 12:02 pm

I hope you eventually get to wear whatever you want to wear, scars and stretchmarks be damned!

• Reply Chester April 16, 2015 at 11:10 am

I can’t think of the things I no longer I give a crap about… maybe because I still give a crap on everything. Haha. But yes, maybe scars too! I have one big scar on my knee when I slipped on a marble flooring at Caliraya and I was really depressed because the wound was really deep. Until know, it’s so fugly but I don’t mind it at all na. And oh maybe dead toenails too. Haha!

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 12:03 pm

OMG, I used to never show my feet cos they’re ugly as fuck but as long as I keep my nails clean and my feet exfoliated, I’m good to gooooo.

• Reply Mikyu Maglasang April 16, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Hahaha #4!! Tons of blogs are using Manhattan Darling nowadays, and I can’t help but think, “there are a lot of other fonts out there!”, but oh well. I’m also using brush fonts on my pictures anyway so I don’t really care. :)))

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 12:03 pm

It’s such a pretty font kasi!

• Reply Jhanz April 16, 2015 at 12:48 pm

I love this, and I find myself answering YES to all your points. Although weight issues is totally something that I am still trying to overcome too. We’ll be over it when we lose weight joke hehehe! :) We’ll make it through! Virtual hugs!!!

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 12:04 pm

• Reply Vanessa Cunanan April 17, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Aww the first one pinched my heart a bit because my legs are my number one insecurity. :( I have tons of scars/dark spots on my legs, kaya I always wear jeans kahit na its hot. Lol! BUT im working on it! One pair of shorts at a time ;)

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 12:04 pm

You can do it!!! If I can, anyone can!

• Reply Mina April 18, 2015 at 12:04 am

I wish I no longer care about catty callers. Most of the time I don’t. But then there are those times when I actually give them the finger, an “I’m gonna find you and kill you” look or ask them “Gusto mo square na lang tayo?” depending on my mood. Haha. Shet, medyo warfreak.

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 12:04 pm

I think cat callers need to be told off!!!! But sometimes, it just eggs them on but they need to know what they’re doing is not ok. Fuck those guys.

• Reply Mina April 18, 2015 at 12:06 am

I wish I’d stop giving a crap about catty callers. Most of the time I don’t, but then there are those times that I can’t help but give the finger, an “I will find you and I will kill you” look or asking them “Gusto mo square na lang tayo?” depending on my mood. Ang warfreak ko lang minsan.

• Reply Raisa April 19, 2015 at 9:55 am

I’m feel like I’m over it all most days. Screw everything tbh. I’m building a cabin in the middle of nowhere and never coming back. Provided I still have internet lololol.

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 12:05 pm

lolololol I wish we could go off the grid for a couple of months a year and come back with everything still the same… well, at least the good stuff.

• Reply yan April 19, 2015 at 9:21 pm

this post is so funny and encouraging! i would love to wear dresses too but my legs are dark and scarred. i feel bad for #4 cos i’m one who gets annoyed with trends while itching to be part of it cos it’s all very pretty. but you’re totally right… off to abuse handmade brush fonts. ;)

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Just wear dresses! Life’s too short. :)

• Reply Gail April 19, 2015 at 10:41 pm

Well, I guess I’m so over not being able to go straight to work after graduation. My current dilemma is me pursuing med vs going straight to job hunting – so, yeah, while everyone else is happy with a new job and new environment. I won’t give a damn while I’m still stuck in school for probably 4 more years.

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 2:17 pm

If med school is what you truly want, then it’s totally ok!

• Reply femme April 20, 2015 at 1:06 am

I also have scars on my knees because I was fond of playing outside as a kid. seems like my knees like kissing pavements. So I really hated wearing skirts higher than my knees but now I just don’t give a fuck if I have “awful” legs, I’m gonna wear what I want and have fun.

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Scars aren’t the worst thing to have anyway!

• Reply Sherica April 20, 2015 at 1:09 am

I used to be so conscious about what I wear rin! Now, I just don’t give a fuck anymore =))

I love this series btw! Can I copy? hihi

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 12:12 pm

GO LANG!

I want to be more confident when it comes to clothes, too, because I always wear baggy tops BECAUSE APPLE SHAPED HAHAHAHAHA.

• Reply Kenna April 20, 2015 at 4:48 am

Love this!

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Thanks, Kenna!

• Reply Darlyn April 20, 2015 at 10:39 am

This post spoke to me on a personal level. I have sensitive skin and easily get scars that take months and months to heal. I’ve avoided wearing dresses and skirts (which I love), because I feel so ashamed of my scars. But like you said, my legs are there to take me to places and I can do whatever I want with them.

Loved this post!

• Reply Helga April 20, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Thanks, Darlyn! Go bare those legs! :)

• Reply Christine April 20, 2015 at 10:42 pm

I agree with #2. I just stopped caring about trends, ugh, just want to have a simple wardrobe and not waste my money on junk or clothes that I’ll wear once.

• Reply Helga May 4, 2015 at 12:00 pm

I agree! Can’t help but regret all the money I spend on clothes I only wore a few times.

• Reply Alissa April 21, 2015 at 11:40 am

Number 1! I have scars on my legs too cuz I have eczema. I try to hide it all the time but when I went traveling in another countries, I wear all the shorts and skirts and dresses that I want. It felt liberating and free since nobody knows me there. Now that I’m back though, I’m wearing pants again cuz I feel like people are judging me. Ishouldn’t though. I wish I have the courage.

• Reply Helga May 4, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Hope you find the courage soon! :)

• Reply Jhecel April 21, 2015 at 5:24 pm

All these talks about legs I can totally relate. Scars are not an issue for me but all those hairs that make my legs look like it belong to a guy. I can’t shave or wax it since I have a sensitive skin. Lately, I have not paying attention to them lately because I am more obsessed with my blog. :)

• Reply Yza Marzan April 24, 2015 at 10:41 am

I wish I don’t care what I think about myself. I feel like I am always a failure and that I berate myself too much. I am in the process of accepting myself more but there are still times that I get depressed.

• Reply Helga May 4, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Awww, Yza! You are a wonderful person. :)

• Reply 5 Things I No Longer Give A Crap About – shun the sugar April 25, 2015 at 1:19 pm

[…] thing I guess? So anyway, I was doing my usual blog rounds last week and I happened to stumble upon Helga’s entry. It’s about the things you no longer give a fuck […]

• Reply Ashley April 28, 2015 at 2:23 am

I used to find it so necessary to explain myself. Every time I told someone no, I thought it meant I had to give a reason. I’m learning that no is absolutely a complete sentence.

Also. All things celebrity centric. I literally don’t know 1/2 of the celebrities names that I hear anymore. And I’m good with that. I don’t need to be up on that gossip to be a decent human being.

• Reply Helga May 4, 2015 at 12:01 pm

JK, I know the Jenners haha.

• Reply Joy Sallegue April 30, 2015 at 11:57 am

I’ve been reading your posts for a while now but this post is so spot-on that I just have to comment.

If there’s one thing I love about growing old and growing up, it’s this: learning to let go of our hang-ups. I used to be so conscious of my body, too. I’ve avoided wearing shorts because I have pata legs. But now, ugh, I just don’t care. Ang init init sa Pilipinas, if I could only wear sando and shorts to work, I would.

As for socializing, well… I am an introvert and I don’t think that’ll change. I used to be a major wallflower at events (I even hide in restrooms just to avoid talking to people) but now I’ve learned that people don’t bite and it’s okay to talk and meet new people, and that if I’m in the mood to just sit quietly in one corner, that’s also okay. It feels so good, so freeing, to be able to not care so much.

So yeah, I love this post. :)

• Reply Helga May 4, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Hi Joy!!! Thanks for reading! <3

Totally get not feeling pressured to talk to people or sit quietly alone. I don't even feel bad when I just drop out of a conversation haha, sometimes I'd just rather listen while playing on my phone.

• Reply stephy macasaet May 16, 2015 at 1:01 pm

I love this post! I’d love to blog about “The things I wish I didn’t give a crap about.” and I would link it to this post. Would that be okay? Thanks Helga!

• Reply Helga May 16, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Hi Stephy! Of course! Would love to read yours. :)