behind the scenes

15 Times I Failed As an Adult

15 Times I Failed As An Adult |

It’s my birthday in less than three weeks and as I come one year closer to old fogey status, I ask myself: Will my adultness ever sink in? Most of the time, I still feel like a college kid coasting through life (but I’m also responsible enough to know that there are bills to pay) and that kind of worries me.

1. When I decided a bag of red Chippy was a suitable Sunday night dinner.
  2. When I thought staying up until 230am (when I have work the next day) to watch iZombie was a good idea.
  3. Failing to get regular pedicures.
  4. Never getting manicures because I can’t last a week and a half without my nails breaking/without me chewing my nails down to stubby, jagged messes.
  5. Having to go to my mom’s closet to borrow a handkerchief because I ran out mid-week.
  6. When I had to ask my mom how to properly fill the water tank. I’ve lived in this house for 2 years and I only figured it out recently.
  7. When my grown-up clothes (aka client meeting clothes) are basically a black Mango dress I got on sale and a Forever21 dress I’ve had for 3 years.
  8. Sleeping in ’til 4PM every other weekend.
  9. Whenever I spend the whole Saturday cooped up in bed, marathoning TV shows and ignoring invites to hang and have coffee. Coffee??? On a Saturday???
  10. Eating cake for breakfast.
  11. All those times I burned the rice.
  12. Waking up in yesterday’s mascara.
  13. Did you know my mom still cleans my room???
  14. Having the palate of a 5-year old. Favorite meal ever? Fried chicken (leg part) and sweet spaghetti.
  15. Whenever I compare myself to my mom when she was my age. How she had 2 kids and a husband at 24 is beyond me.

Comparison is the thief of joy and I try not to let it bother me that my life isn’t where it’s supposed to be at my age or that I still don’t have my shit completely together. It’s true when they say that grown-ups have no freaking clue what they’re really doing and it’s a thought that’s both scary and comforting. I may mess up, I may be clueless, and I may be taking my sweet time but I know I’m not the only one.

Do you ever feel like you fail at adulthood too?

• Reply Monica May 11, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Ugh. Tell me about it. (Yun lang nasabi? Haha!)

• Reply Helga May 13, 2015 at 11:01 am

I GET IT hahahaha

• Reply Carina May 11, 2015 at 5:00 pm

How’s iZombie? Haha I share a bed with my sister and a dog, so there’s that.

• Reply Helga May 13, 2015 at 11:01 am

I sleep on Freakie’s bed. :(

I LOVE iZombie!!! I was just ~okay~ about it the first 3 episodes but now I love it. Can’t wait for ep 8 or 9 tonight!

• Reply Paoline May 11, 2015 at 5:04 pm

Can totally relate to items 2-4 and 7!

I have a 9 month old son but I still ask the same question! Sometimes I cringe at the idea of “it” not ever kicking in because I fear for Sanji. But most times I exalt at the idea of “it” not kicking in because, well, a little prince once implied that children know more than adults. Cheers to being childlike! :)

• Reply Helga May 13, 2015 at 11:02 am

I’m sure you’ll be okay!!! Ugh, I wish I still had the same imagination as I did when I was a child.

• Reply Cherry May 11, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Hi Helga, you’re blog posts are really wonderful! I love that you used creative blog titles!

• Reply Helga May 13, 2015 at 11:02 am

Thanks so much, Cherry! <3

• Reply Dani May 11, 2015 at 5:43 pm

#7 – I always struggle with what to wear during client meetings, especially when it’s a business pitch! Can I please just be the stereotypical creative who wears ratty clothes to a presentation? Does it not make me look even more convincingly creative? Hahaha. I only have one pair of adulty trousers and I only wear them because they feel like pajama pants. *_*

Adulting is hard.

• Reply Helga May 13, 2015 at 11:02 am

• Reply Jam Go May 11, 2015 at 5:54 pm

I feel it everytime my friends ask me for a night out but all I do is to refuse because: a) I am lazy b) I’m too busy catching up with my favorite series.

I’m also a sucker for everything Hello Kitty, while others are buying coach bags or other *mature girl* bags, I’m happy with my Hello Kitty hand bag (though it looks classy and pang mature naman, but still Hello Kitty parin)

I can relate with 12, 13 and 15! Haha.

• Reply Helga May 13, 2015 at 11:03 am

I can’t ever do designer bags, too??? Hahaha, I only have one grown-up tote. :(

• Reply Tara Cabullo May 11, 2015 at 6:08 pm

Most days :) I also love sweet spaghetti. And I sleep most Saturdays away.

• Reply Helga May 13, 2015 at 11:03 am

Sweet spaghetti is best spaghetti. <3

• Reply malen May 11, 2015 at 6:38 pm

omg and you’re not even married yet. i think i’m failing at life/adulthood it despite doing my best. hahahahaha grabe sobrang lala ng failure, tinatawanan ko na lang.

• Reply Helga May 13, 2015 at 11:04 am

I don’t think you’re failing?!?!?!?! Hahahaha

• Reply Malen May 14, 2015 at 1:58 am

Career-wise, hindi naman ako failing pero in other aspects…

• Reply Jonver May 11, 2015 at 6:45 pm

I LOVE THE LAST LINE!!! Did I ever think that I fail at adulthood? Hell yeah, everyday of my freaking life! But that is the beauty of adulthood, I think. (Because whenever I think about #adultstuff I roll my eyes and fall back to anime and gaming before I succumb to an anxiety attack) but there isn’t a manual to adulthood. We go through it and figure it out… alone. We are adults and we have all rights to choose and do whatever we want — but we are not free to choose the consequences. Two cents given.

This comment can also be summarized as daming feels and relate to this post.

Miss you and see you soon, Helga!

• Reply Helga May 13, 2015 at 11:05 am

Anxiety attacks are the worst!

I think I should make a follow up post on the 15 times I feel like I’m succeeding at adulthood hahaha. See you soon, Jonver!

• Reply Cheryle May 11, 2015 at 8:20 pm

What’s wrong with #10? Sarap kaya! :p

• Reply Cheryle May 11, 2015 at 8:31 pm

BTW adulthood is a great roller coaster ride. I hope it excites you (still) everyday!

• Reply Helga May 13, 2015 at 11:06 am

It’s Cake O’Clock!!!

• Reply Freya May 11, 2015 at 10:52 pm

Sweet spaghetti is the best. If I turn 30-ish and it’s still my favorite food, I wouldn’t see it as a failure. :)

• Reply Helga May 13, 2015 at 11:06 am

Don’t forget the FRIED CHICKEN that goes perfectly with it!

• Reply Jamie May 12, 2015 at 1:17 am

Although being almost 22 means adulthood, I still don’t feel it yet because I’m still in school. The real world scares the shit out of me. :(

• Reply Helga May 13, 2015 at 11:07 am

Oooh, the ~real world~ is so fun, tho! Mostly because you earn your own money na haha.

• Reply Michelle May 12, 2015 at 5:18 am

Nah, I don’t believe in failing in adulthood, because you can learn from your experiences and still be a kid at heart =) I’m 25 and been through a lot and what kept me going in my youthful heart. That’s what we all have, a youthful heart underneath.

• Reply Helga May 13, 2015 at 11:07 am

The 4 My Little Pony toys I keep in my office locker say HI! hahaha

• Reply Ziba May 12, 2015 at 7:59 am

30 is the new puberty. You’re doing fine!

• Reply Helga May 13, 2015 at 11:08 am

Hahaha I love that

• Reply Noelle De Guzman May 12, 2015 at 8:47 am

I don’t want to adult today. Please don’t make me adult.

• Reply Helga May 13, 2015 at 11:08 am

CAN I SKIP TODAY lol

• Reply Grace May 12, 2015 at 10:38 am

I can totally relate to numbers 5, 10, 13, 14 and 15. Now that I’m living my own, hindi ko pa rin magawa mag luto, mag plantsa ang maglaba ng sarili kong damit :( But I’m trying my best.

• Reply Kaith May 12, 2015 at 10:52 am

Well, I am way older than you with three kids to take care of but yes, I sleep until 2PM most Saturdays and Sundays, and bribe my children with a chicken and spaghetti meal when I am too lazy to think of what to cook. And what mom doesn’t clean their children’s rooms? LOL.

• Reply Helga May 13, 2015 at 11:08 am

HAHAHAHA I love that last line!!!

• Reply Christine May 12, 2015 at 11:26 am

I can totally relate to this post. I think the majority of us are all in the same boat.

Christine |

• Reply Helga May 13, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Thanks for dropping by, Christine! :)

• Reply Romila Marie May 12, 2015 at 1:13 pm

I’d rather stay in din than go out. I live way up North, and to travel for 1 hour just to get to QC (or 2 to Makati!!) medyo minsan wag nalang. Oh well.

PS I’ve been loving your posts lately!! <3

• Reply Helga May 13, 2015 at 12:51 pm

I like staying in but then I get antsy and end up going out. It was ok when I lived in QC, now it’s such a hassle!

Thank you. <3

• Reply beenfollowingyouforfiveyears May 12, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Well, that makes me feel normal. :)

• Reply Helga May 14, 2015 at 11:56 am

It’s so different for our generation! Our parents didn’t have internet or budget fares so they had less options back then.

• Reply Shayne May 13, 2015 at 1:37 am

I have a 5 year old and I’m still trying to figure out “How To Be Adult @ Twenty-Something.” I can relate to soooo much in this post. We really don’t know what the hell we’re doing, but that’s completely fine. I honestly don’t think we’ll ever have it all figured out; I don’t think we should think about any of it. Everyone walks a different path.

• Reply Helga May 14, 2015 at 11:57 am

As long as you do what ya gotta do!

• Reply Ashley May 13, 2015 at 4:44 am

Welp, I should probably do something like this — because I can add about 15 more to this list.

1. Ate ice cream instead of actual food.
    2. Bought a watermelon shaped makeup/travel bag.
    3. Still think any type of animal covered print is acceptable as “formal attire”.
    4. Not carry a real purse, because I don’t have enough things.
    5. Spend an extra $2 on chapstick because it’s shaped like a cat face.
    6. Still don’t understand why Fruity Pepples aren’t healthy for you.

• Reply Helga May 14, 2015 at 11:58 am

Dude, I saw a watermelon bag on Instagram the other day AND I WANT IT.

• Reply Redg May 13, 2015 at 10:28 am

#4!!!! I was just thinking of writing how I hate it that my colored nails only last a week with me! They always end up getting chipped! :(

I hate being an adult and having to understand things like SSS, banking stuff, and budgeting my salary just to get bills paid. :( Why can’t we all be Kardashians and not worry about those kinds of stuff. :(

• Reply Helga May 14, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Ugh I don’t even have my SSS ID yet and I’ve been working since 2006/2007!

• Reply Elisha May 13, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Ah oh! Such a nice blog you have here. Haha! Relate much with #13. Haha!

• Reply Helga May 14, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Hahaha, thanks for dropping by!

• Reply Angel May 13, 2015 at 5:53 pm

I feel like an adult because I have moved out of my parent’s home since 2004 (college) but when I see lists like this, it makes me re-evaluate my habits and realize how much of a child I sometimes am. Chips for dinner, cake for breakfast, sleeping in on weekends, staying up to binge watch my series. I’m doomed :(

• Reply Helga May 14, 2015 at 12:16 pm

I moved back in with my mom 2 years ago cos I got sick of paying rent! My old apartment was such a mess and I mostly ate canned stuff because I would get too lazy to cook lol.

• Reply Christine May 14, 2015 at 3:51 am

I still don’t feel like an adult and I’m in the 30’s now…I’m in denial. But what is being an adult like because I certainly pay my bills. Just no kids and unmarried – but I don’t think that’s included in the definition of being a responsible adult. No. 15 hits the spot – lol I can’t imagine having kids in my 20’s.

3 and 4 – I can’t keep up with manicures and pedicures – plus I always chip my manicure when I type.

• Reply Helga May 18, 2015 at 12:10 am

Who woulda thought pretty nails were hard to achieve lol

• Reply Adz May 16, 2015 at 10:12 am

One time, I texted my mother if I need cooking oil to fry eggs. AIl she said was “TANGA KA BA?” Haha.

• Reply Helga May 18, 2015 at 12:10 am

ANG GANDA HAHAHAHAHAHA malay nya, non-stick yung pan mo!!!

• Reply Pearl May 31, 2015 at 5:23 pm

I can totally relate to this! My mom keeps on telling me, “When are you going to act your age? juskoday!” Hahaha :D