30-Day Shopping Ban

30-Day Shopping Ban |

Last night, I asked myself if I could go on a 30-Day Shopping Ban ON MY BIRTHDAY MONTH. I had just spent 45 minutes de-cluttering my make-up stash and was disgusted at the amount of junk I had accumulated over the last two years. Most of them were samples from subscription boxes or impulse purchases (things I bought on the spot without consulting reviews) that I only ended up using a couple of times. It may not amount to much, but it’s still wasted money and— more importantly— a reflection of my lack of restraint.

A 30-Day Shopping Ban is something I’ve attempted to several times in the past. I always failed, though, because I’m really bad at sticking to my guns. If I can’t last a month without throwing money at useless stuff, what does that say about me? My future??? So I’m doing it again and this time, I’m taking it seriously.

To set some rules, I lifted Blonde on a Budget’s Shopping Ban lists and revised them accordingly.

What I Can Shop For:

• food & groceries
  • necessary cosmetics (when I run out of eyebrow pencil etc)
  • toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, anything from my skin care routine if I run out)
  • necessary cat things (collars, if they lose their current ones etc)
  • gifts for others (it’s Joey’s birthday on June 2)
  • ONE birthday gift for myself: an outfit/a book/party stuff

What I Cannot Shop For:

• unnecessary cosmetics (a new shade of lipstick etc)
  • apps and in-app purchases
  • hair dye
  • clothes & accessories
  • shoes
  • books and office supplies
  • household items (decor, kitchenware etc)
  • plants
  • electronics
  • WordPress themes and plug-ins, fonts, design bundles etc
  • online courses

Other rule/s:

• I cannot use my credit card, unless it’s for work (e.g. Facebook ads)
  • I can add to the second list anytime

That’s about it. I’ll be checking in in two weeks to document my progress. Wish me luck!

Have you ever gone on a shopping ban? Do you have any tips to share? :)

• Reply Carina May 19, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Good luck! I’ve been on some type of a ban rin recently. I’ve only bought 4 makeup things this year, which was my deal (1 product/month only) and I’ve scaled down on random shit like paper and notebooks, etc. I’ve been having a hard time not spending on online classes and workshops, though, but I think those are KINDA (??) okay because at least I’ll learn stuff, maybe.

Anyway, good luck! Again. Kaya mo yan :)

• Reply Helga May 19, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Good thing I still have 9 days left on my Skillshare trial.

• Reply Jean May 19, 2015 at 1:48 pm

I have never had a self-imposed shopping ban because I think I don’t shop that much. BUT I use a lot of money for eating out and I’m not sure if that’s good. I always say, food naman. Anyway, good luck! I hope you succeed!

• Reply Helga May 21, 2015 at 11:32 am

Joey and I eat out all the time, too. Hirap mag-tipid when it comes to food!

• Reply Gelleesh May 19, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Helga, pagamit ako ng list mo. I NEED THIS NGAYON. Especially since I’m starting a business and opened some investments, dapat magtipid tipid na rin ako sa gastusin ko. Oh, and I just applied for a credit card… Dundundundun…. xD

• Reply Helga May 21, 2015 at 11:37 am

Good luck to us!!!

• Reply Mikyu Maglasang May 19, 2015 at 2:51 pm

I’ve never tried imposing a shopping ban on myself because I rarely shop for unnecessary stuff in the first place. Hahaha. Though I think what I should impose on myself is a travel ban or something ‘coz I spend a lot of money on trips. But I think it’s a good spend ‘coz it’s experience? Hahaha. NO REGRETS IN TRAVEL! :P

• Reply Helga May 22, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Travel doesn’t add to clutter, unless you buy souvenirs! I’m mostly trying to cut down on my consumption.

• Reply Angel May 19, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Same as Jean in the other comment, I usually don’t shop much. Maybe I should do this and turn it into something like “Eating Out Ban”? LOL

Good luck! :)

• Reply Helga May 21, 2015 at 6:18 pm

I could never not eat out! Haha. But I do need to cut down on eating out.

• Reply Alex Carpio May 19, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Thinking of doing something like this too, but more along the lines of “only shop for baby stuff” :D

Goodluck, Helga!

• Reply Helga May 21, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Good idea! I think buying stuff for others is all right (e.g. bringing my mom pasalubong), as long as it’s necessary.

• Reply Cherry May 19, 2015 at 3:26 pm

waaaaaaaaaaaa this is very hard. For one, I always shop for” unnecessary cosmetics (a new shade of lipstick etc)” HAHAHHA

goodluck on this one helga!

• Reply Helga May 21, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Thanks, Cherry!

• Reply Paoline May 19, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Ahh I’ve been planning to do this too because my makeup hoarding is becoming uncontrollable. Good luck with this, Helga, I believe you can do it! And advanced happy birthday :)

• Reply Helga May 21, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Thanks, Pao! Totally get you on hoarding makeup hahaha.

• Reply Jhanz May 19, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Good luck Helga! :) Shopping bans can be tricky, especially if you’re the type of person who (1) passes by the mall on a daily basis, and (2) you really have a track record of being impulsive. But I know you’ll get through it in a breeze!

• Reply Helga May 21, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Huhuhu those are both me hahahaha. I either pass through BHS + Market Market or SM + Glorietta + Landmark + Greenbelt during the week. Landmark’s first floor is my weakness!!!

Thanks, Jhanz!

• Reply Jae May 20, 2015 at 12:48 am

Good luck, Helga! I just realized that I haven’t spent on anything since I moved here in the US. Hindi ko magamit yung mga cards ko kasi hindi ko naitawag sa bank before I left. Hahaha!

• Reply Helga May 21, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Wag mo na itawag hahahahaha

• Reply Jae May 21, 2015 at 11:26 pm

Eh yung may bagong issue na debit card sa’kin dito? Patay tayo diyan. Hahaha

• Reply Nickle Love May 20, 2015 at 2:01 am

That’s a good idea. Good luck! ^_^

• Reply Helga May 22, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Thanks, Nickle!

• Reply Christine May 20, 2015 at 3:11 am

Good luck Helga! It will get easier not to shop for impulsive things because you have a clear list! I gave myself a shopping ban and it was actually really fun. Just stay away from the malls to avoid more temptation.

• Reply Helga May 22, 2015 at 6:40 pm

Thanks, Christine! I managed to survive 2 malls yesterday haha.

• Reply Trish May 20, 2015 at 5:14 am

I rarely go ‘full shopping mode’ (LOL iZombie reference) but I dread computing how much I spend on my cab fare everyday. Maybe I should research more on how to commute more cheaply. Maybe that’s my self challenge. Good luck on this one, Helga!

• Reply Helga May 22, 2015 at 6:41 pm

I try and avoid cabbing, too! But sometimes, I’m just too tired na haha. :(

• Reply Cait Flanders May 20, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Good luck with your ban, Helga! I think you’ll be surprised and find it easier than you imagine. If you ever feel the need to shop, try to take a step back and think about what else is going on in your life in that moment. Bad day at work? Fight with a friend? Stressed about something? It’s crazy how we build up this idea that shopping will somehow make us feel better. Anyway, look forward to reading your progress report! I’m cheering you on. :)

• Reply Helga May 22, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Thank you, Cait! Doing well but it’s only been a few days! Haha.

• Reply Dani May 20, 2015 at 5:49 pm

Such adulting! Good luck, Helga!

• Reply Helga May 22, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Hahaha ADULTING! Thanks, Dani. :)

• Reply Gail May 20, 2015 at 11:18 pm

This will be a tough challenge especially on your birthday month! Good luck ;)

• Reply Carmina Mones May 20, 2015 at 11:36 pm

I did this last year! Thought I wasn’t going to complete it especially when my sister and I went to Greenhills and she bought a lot of stuff. Jusko. Ang hirap, my advice would be to think na kaya mo and you wouldn’t want to start over again. That was my rule. If I buy a stuff I don’t need, back to day 1. Pang-12 steps lang ng AA haha! E gusto ko makapagshopping ulit, so tiis tiis rin.

• Reply Shayne May 21, 2015 at 8:32 am

You brave, brave soul. You can do this!!

• Reply edelweiza May 21, 2015 at 2:09 pm

I’m rooting for you! I did an 11-month long shopping fast last year and it was successful. I had many realizations. Masaya na mahirap pero kaya ko pala. :)

• Reply Corinth May 21, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Good luck Helga! My shopping ban is when I realize that I HAVE NO MONEY TO SHOP. Haha. That S’mores frap though, huhu.

• Reply Redg May 21, 2015 at 4:50 pm

This is a great idea! I hope you get to stick with the rules you’ve set up! For me, I have no second thoughts whenever I splurge on food and I feel like almost half of my salary goes to restaurants (most particularly, Pancake House :'() Maybe I’ll try a Stop Splurging on Food So Much program next month. LOL Cut the spending + calories!

• Reply Hazel May 21, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Medyo off-tangent but I miss your outfit and ukay finds posts :'( do you still buy from thrift shops or no na? :)

• Reply Kristel May 23, 2015 at 10:03 am

I also have a shopping ban now. I’m thinking of getting thinner since the reason why I’d shop for clothes is because I got fat. Hopefully, this works!

• Reply Jayrin May 24, 2015 at 4:11 am

Thanks for the idea Helga! I’m gonna try this one out too!

• Reply Yshy May 24, 2015 at 3:55 pm

OMG kelangan ko din to!! Good idea, and good luck Helga! Happy Birthday in advance, girl! :)

• Reply 30-Day Shopping Ban | lunameetsworld June 3, 2015 at 5:46 am

[…] month, I am challenging myself to not to. I am doing this because if others can (that’s you, Helga and Pauline!), I can do it, too. I just need to practice control and […]

• Reply Bae Milanes July 15, 2015 at 5:18 pm

I rarely shop, but when I do, I hoard things and I try to convince myself I will need them.. in time. I buy small items for me sometimes, but pricey. So my P1,000 could easily go to lifting gloves, as opposed to small stuff bought with less than 1k. Yikes. I appreciated online shopping more because you could ponder on the item for some time and wait for it to go on sale. I usually online shop for hours and end up buying nothing because there’s also a kuripot side to me. :P