behind the scenes

Things I Wish I Were Good At

Things I Wish I Were Good At |

I was browsing some blogs today and was overcome with jealousy over someone’s filtered, curated online life. There she was in her brightly lit day room (seriously, she was bathed in God’s love) painting pretty flowers while her fat cat nibbled on the tip of her brush. Hashtag life goals? Yes, please.

And it made me think: do I have a talent? Do you have a talent? I don’t think I do. I can write decently enough to do it for a living but that’s about it. I can’t sing, play an instrument, or solve a Rubik’s cube (not that I’ve ever tried to understand how it works). Praise heavens for my sparkling personality and cute face, right?

A lot of us are frustrated somethings but I don’t think I even qualify as a frustrated artist because it’s not like I even tried. Anyway, I thought I’d make a a quick list of things I wish I were good at (and eventually will be good at).

Art (obviously)

I am constantly in pursuit of pretty and I hate that I can’t create pretty. Can you really learn how to draw or is it a gift that you’re born with and just have to practice to perfect? Because I think I have an eye for what looks nice but my hands are just plain stupid.

Being patient

I have a pretty short temper and tend to snap at people when things don’t go smoothly. It’s a bad habit that needs to go ASAP because it’s gotten me in trouble with Joey so many times. I’m not sure if patience is an intrinsic personality trait or something that can be learned; I’m hoping it’s the latter because I need to c h i l l.

Goal: learn how to meditate. Are there free apps you can recommend?

Eating clean

I haven’t eaten beef and pork in 15 days (YAY4ME) but this doesn’t mean I’ve been eating well (FML). On Saturday, friends and I got drunk on beer and tequila and headed to an old haunt for drunken grubbies: Tapsi ni Vivian. I had tortang talong (no meat filling) and tokwa’t baboy (ignored the pork) and rice. At 2AM. That all went straight to my waist.

Stand-up comedy

I know I’m funny because I get people to laugh at the things I write and say sometimes but I’m not as quick with the jokes as I’d like to be. Can you imagine if I were Chelsea Peretti or Amy Shcumer levels of hilarious? I’d probably have more than ~3900 Twitter followers.

How about you? What are things you wish you were good at?

• Reply Paoline May 25, 2015 at 7:25 pm

I also wish I’m more patient because I have also gotten in trouble with Mario because of this. You’re not alone Helga!

• Reply Helga May 27, 2015 at 1:00 pm

• Reply Cherry May 25, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Hey Helga, I know you’ll hate me for posting this unsolicited something haha but my boss happens to do the famous Cohen, it’s pricey yes, but it worked well! Now don’t get me wrong I will not ask you to do Cohen, but she gave me tips, 1: balance your protein in a meal, no combination or pork chicken, chicken beef etc., 2) eat your three mandatory meals but squeeze in snacks, very light snacks, cue :Jacob’s crackers and finally, 3)prepare your own meal, she weighs her meal up to the last gram, (her doctor said so) but I guess for us, the key really is to avoid eating fast food-prepared meals ya know?

love yah

• Reply Helga May 27, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Hahaha don’t worry!

I can’t consistently prepare my meals and I’m so arte that I don’t like eating re-heated food so that means I can’t make the week’s meals in bulk.

I also don’t eat beef and pork anymore! So I don’t mix proteins na. I do have trouble getting 3 real meals in a day, tho.

• Reply Stephy Macasaet May 25, 2015 at 8:32 pm

As for me I wish I was good at not giving any crap and at the same time, yeah ART. I wish I was also good at painting stuff. I can visualize it properly but when I do it, it’s a piece of crap :(

• Reply Helga May 31, 2015 at 11:57 pm

I FEEL YA

• Reply Alissa May 25, 2015 at 8:52 pm

I wish I’m good at singing! I love to sing but unfortunately, my voice isn’t that good. I also want to write better so that I can publish a book one day. And I wish I know how to cook and bake. Oh, and paint and draw. So many things I want to be good at.

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 12:04 am

I think cooking and baking are the easiest to learn! You can do it! :)

• Reply Joyce May 25, 2015 at 9:28 pm

I wish I’m good at calligraphy and I wish my writing skills are good. haha This is a fun idea to blog about, will do this soon inshaallah

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:35 am

Can’t wait to read your list!

• Reply Alex Carpio May 25, 2015 at 10:14 pm

I wish I was good in writing, photography and shutting up when needed. :P I also tend to snap at people when things don’t go smoothly (or my way) so I guess I’d have to learn how to chill too. :D

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:36 am

Hahahaha shutting up when needed is something I need to learn, too!

• Reply Dan May 25, 2015 at 10:22 pm

well, you are good at looking good!

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:36 am

lmfaoooo I try!

• Reply Christia Junina May 25, 2015 at 11:36 pm

I definitely wish I was good at achieving the perfect cat eye at one go, small talk, sports, and dancing. I am an incredibly awkward turtle :P

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:37 am

Winged eyeliner is AN ART! I’ve been doing it for years and I still struggle.

• Reply Jam Go May 26, 2015 at 12:24 am

I think you’re pretty good with a lot of things! Like for example: designing your blog and coloring your hair? And I bet there’s more :-)

For me, I wish I know how to cook. I’m doing very good with eating but not with cooking. lol. Oh, I also wish I know how to play the guitar, drums and keyboards. :(

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:38 am

Aww, thanks! Cooking seems easy, it just takes time and a lot of clean-up so katamad lol.

• Reply astrid May 26, 2015 at 5:53 am

“..and was overcome with jealousy over someone’s filtered, curated online life.”

“I wish I were the organic, free-range, gluten-free (yuck), overnight oats in a mason jar type of gal who loves to snack on raw vegetables and hard-boiled eggs. What a sad-sounding life but at least I’d have a banging body!”

ughh i know exactly how you feel, and you being able to put it in writing , is a talent.

and on talent-

siguro by filipino standards a bunch of us don’t meet the “talented” criteria because we can’t sing or dance.
    those two things would help me in the confidence department.

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:40 am

Hahaha I write about giftedness and talent for one of my accounts and I realized that a lot of Filipinos know how to sing and dance but they don’t work on it hard enough to reach, IDK, Sarah Geronimo levels (tipong pang-videoke lang). So talent requires a lot of practice, which comforts me because that means I can work on something and be talented at it!

• Reply Jaya May 26, 2015 at 11:25 am

I think you can consider your writing as a talent! :) I wish I could sing. I love music so much but I’m so shy to even try and sing in front of people (can’t even do it with just Sanjay in the car)! I also wish I could make art! Haha I’ve tried before but never enough to actually progress! (Lettering / Calligraphy would be ok na)! Then there’s also photography, dancing and writing! If I had even one of these talents, I would be sooooo happy na.

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:41 am

Good lord, I have a terrible singing voice! I only sing when everyone is super drunk and among close friends. Or if it’s an easy song like B*witched’s C’est La Vie. =/

• Reply Grace May 26, 2015 at 12:01 pm

I wish I’m good a writing and I wish I could sing. Siguro yun lang masaya na ako, hehe!

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:43 am

I wish I could sing, too! Pangarap ko dati maging pop star haha.

• Reply Sar May 26, 2015 at 12:05 pm

Hi Helga! Regarding that meditation thing, I kinda relate with that, everytime I try to clear my mind, I just fell asleep. Maybe my brain got so immuned with those thought clutter that it resists the idea of being ‘cleaned’. BTW, I downloaded a meditation app months ago. Haven’t fully tried it though, you can check ‘Headspace’ meditation app. Let me know if it works for you. :)

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:44 am

I hope we both learn how to meditate this year! My boyfriend recommended Headspace, too. I have yet to give it a try!

• Reply Corinth May 26, 2015 at 1:20 pm

I wish I was good at speaking up. I’m a very soft-spoken person and I’m very timid! I hate that about myself but still, I don’t do anything to change that. -_- I also wish I was good at sleeping on time and doing schedules and being organized with my time. I also wish I was good at saying no to my Lays Salt and Vinegar and that freaking S’mores Frap. :(

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:45 am

Hahahaha you’re so cute, Corinth! <3

• Reply Jean May 26, 2015 at 4:42 pm

I also wish I was the girl who eats healthily and goes to the gym regularly and have a smokin’ body and can wear crop tops (LOL huhuhu slightly kadire for my age) BUT who can resist chilli wings???

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:45 am

Jean, you are perfect!!! I wish I had your body.

• Reply Tony May 26, 2015 at 5:51 pm

Sometimes I just want to wallow in self-pity when I meet up with my boyfriend and our artist friends because once they bring out their sketchpads, I’m left there looking at them while they draw masterpieces. My drawing skills are mediocre compared to theirs. I wish I was better at listening to other people and maybe giving advice. It’s important, especially for a communications major like me, to learn how to listen, not just to words, but to the signs as well.

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:46 am

I’m not very good at giving advice, too! But I think picking up on people’s body language is something you can learn. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

• Reply Dani May 26, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Patience can be learned! Most times kasi, it’s just a matter of choosing your battles and deciding if a thing is really worth losing your head over. I’ve struggled with impatience (over things I find disagreeable and waiting) too and while it’s not like I’ve completely gotten rid of it now, I think it’s something one slowly comes out of (with much, much effort). Yoga helps!

I wish I was blessed with great presentation skillz </3 I'd always just rather execute but never excited about selling my idea.

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:47 am

I need to be better at presenting, too! I tend to get super nervous so I end up stuttering. :(

• Reply Jhanz May 26, 2015 at 11:38 pm

Ugh eating clean is such a struggle for (surprise surprise!) almost everyone! I wish I was the type of girl who loves to cook her own meals ala lifestyle network levels, and someone who’d always choose some vegan alternative vs. burgers (I finished a four cheese burger over the weekend… in less than 15 minutes. SO HELP ME GOD)

So much discipline needed, so little motivation. Oh well, body positive, right? Hehe!!!

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:55 am

At least you didn’t eat TWO BURGERS hahahaha. I’m going to try and eat clean this week because I ate so much crap over the weekend. :(

• Reply Jeng May 27, 2015 at 12:32 am

Helga bat kamukha mo si Yeng Constantino? hahaha

• Reply Helga May 31, 2015 at 11:57 pm

Haha I don’t know how to answer this

• Reply April May 27, 2015 at 3:03 am

Singing! All the Disney movies growing up made me believe I can break out into song and be excellent at it #brokenglass. We are still planning to get a Magic Sing or something similar soon, though, ha ha ha.

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:56 am

I want a Magic Sing, too! “For practice” lol.

• Reply Jae May 27, 2015 at 5:04 am

I definitely wish I were good at cooking. I’m not even a tenth as good as my Mom in the kitchen, which is rather unacceptable. I’ve cooked for an entire week since we moved into our new apartment, and so far I’ve produced nothing but edible and satisfying meals for my husband and myself.

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:57 am

YOU CAN DO IT, JAE!!! I have trouble with seasoning… I always over-season! I made wings last week and they were so salty.

• Reply Jae June 2, 2015 at 3:38 am

Thanks for the encouragement, girl! I have yet to learn simple recipes. D:

• Reply Kristine May 27, 2015 at 7:29 am

I wish I was good with working with other people, but because I’m a total control freak, I am a monster to work with when it comes to research groups. hahah. People tell me to “relax” or take it easy, but you can just I’m passionate about work.

I also wish I was good with meditating, but like you, I fall asleep within a minute or two of deep breathing. But I guess, there’s a benefit to that, no?

And I also wish I was great with not coming off as a total bitch. LOL. Because apparently, I have the tendency to ball-bust people.

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:58 am

HAHAHAHA, sometimes, I don’t realize that the things I say are mean or can be interpreted as mean because I’m always joking around. I need to stop it.

• Reply Mikyu Maglasang May 27, 2015 at 10:42 am

Art!! I’m someone who’s more inclined to logic / left-brain-related stuff but I’ve always appreciated all forms of art. How I wish though that I’m also good at execution and not just appreciation. :)))

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:58 am

SAME HERE!!!

• Reply Cae May 27, 2015 at 3:34 pm

My favorite thing about you has got to be your wit and sense of humor! It’s heaven-sent!

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:58 am

Heee, thanks, Cae! <3

• Reply Angel May 27, 2015 at 7:57 pm

I always get the urge to eat clean, and I actually do well for a couple of days. Then Friday rolls by and I find myself pigging out on ramen and soda. FML

Kudos on the 15 days of no pork and beef. It must be so hard!

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 7:59 am

I’m doing pretty ok! The smell of bacon and the sight of hotdogs nearly killed me over the weekend but I survived!

I tend to eat clean during the day and then like shit come bedtime. Goddamn chocolates!

• Reply Christine May 28, 2015 at 1:55 am

I thought I was good at art and then work life happened and now I don’t know how to paint anymore. It’s sooo sad…I just bought myself a watercolour set and I touched it once.

And meditating makes me fall asleep as well. I say do what works for you. If you like to walk..walk instead to clear your head and to get exercise, etc.

Patience can be learned. I used to be so impatient but now I’m learning to be very patient and more forgiving.

Best of luck!

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 8:06 am

I hope you find time to practice watercolor! <3

• Reply Tj R. May 28, 2015 at 1:14 pm

I had the same problem with meditation in the past too. I recommend you to try structured one, Vipassana Meditation. it’s a lot of help, and gives you deeper unserstanding how your mind works.

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 8:06 am

Thank you for this!

• Reply Michelle May 28, 2015 at 2:52 pm

I too, wish I was more patient and less impulsive, but I am working at it and doing my best :D I’m sure you’ll get better with those things, and if not, your flaws make you beautiful.

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 11:57 am

Self-improvement is my favorite hobby. Cheers!

• Reply Bae Milanes May 31, 2015 at 1:40 am

Helgaholic. Not sure if it’s okay to call you that, but forgive me, it’s 1:37 am so I’m pretty brave to post this. Helga youre perfect just the way you are. You make me snort-laugh with your wit and creativity, can’t say that enough, and that’s a good thing! Remember, all you see is what people want u to see, mostly the good stuff. And if youre serious about meditating, this might sound shit but it works. YOGA.

• Reply Helga June 1, 2015 at 11:59 am

Hi Bae! Thanks for dropping by and the kind words, no need to be shy!

I really want to enroll in yoga classes but I have to set aside money for it. I just need to learn proper form so I can start practicing it on my own.