It’s my birthday today! I thought I’d make a list of some life lessons to celebrate the day. This entry was supposed to be up earlier but Joey and I ended up falling asleep when we got home from a tiring (but fun!) weekend with our friends at Pico de Loro. I’m pretty sure I ate and drank my weight in food and alcohol so I think I’ll eat nothing but hard-boiled eggs and raw veggies this week.
1. There’s more to people than their physical appearance. Stop making harsh judgements based on it and don’t write off someone just because they don’t meet your dumb beauty standards.
2. You’re not going to get fat in your teens and early 20s from eating rice.
3. Don’t spend real money on in-app game purchases. That $1.99-$4.99 is better spent elsewhere.
4. Local cheese isn’t real cheese. (Talking about supermarket brands like Eden etc hahaha.)
5. Be grateful, even when things are tough.
6. Fight for your hard-earned money. Someone cheated you out of PHP500? Get it back. No amount is too small.
7. No one is too tough for love.
8. You don’t have to be friends with everyone and you don’t have to stay friends with people just because of a shared history.
9. It’s important to have feelings. Don’t be numb to protect yourself because you’ll only end up emotionally-stunted.
10. Sunblock is the #1 beauty essential.
11. Lapping up soy sauce like it were soup will make your kidneys hurt the next day.
12. Adults are as clueless as you are. They may even be more shit-scared than you.
13. Don’t take crap from people who insult you to your face, no matter how much more socially powerful they are than you.
14. There’s nothing shameful about you or your past. People will try to keep you chained to who you were 5, 10, 15 years ago because they can’t accept or stand the fact that people grow, or don’t like what you have become. These people don’t matter.
15. It’s okay to look for validation that what you create matters whether through a like, an RT, or a fave. Embrace this need for attention!
16. Anything gluten-free is gross.
17. You don’t look silly protecting yourself from the sun with an umbrella.
18. He/She will never leave her/him for you.
19. Wavy hair makes you look cuter.
20. It’s okay to go crazy while you are young: with clothes, with boys, with vices. It’s the only time you can get away with it.
21. It’s also okay to go crazy when you are no longer so young: with clothes, with boys, with vices. You can afford it and you’re smart enough to know when enough is enough.
22. Garlic salt takes dishes to a different level.
23. People grieve differently, it is not to your place to judge and criticize them for it.
24. Comparison is the thief of joy. You don’t have to keep up with the Joneses and chances are, you are someone’s Joneses.
25. Heartbreak isn’t so bad.
26. Cheesy broccoli isn’t so bad.
27. You don’t have to respect someone’s opinion if it offends you.
28. It’s bad juju to hold on to things that no longer work or no longer bring you joy.
29. Letting go seems harder than it truly is.
30. Everyone has something to bring to the table. Give people a chance.
31. You’ve been through worse. Don’t let this be the end of you.