personal growth

6 Ways to Avoid Spending Money

6 Ways to Avoid Spending Money |

Tomorrow marks the third week of my 30-Day Shopping Ban. I wish I could say I’ve SAVED TONS OF MONEY not shopping but I can’t because I haven’t. I’ve been spending a lot on food and I also went away for my birthday. I think I need to re-write the rules and add “limit eating out to 3x a week” to the list!

In the last 3 weeks, I’ve (only) purchased the following:

• $1.99 on inLinkz premium
  • A cookbook for Joey (gift)
  • A mouthguard for my dad (gift)

(It was also Joey’s birthday last week and I have yet to get him a gift.)

Food and alcohol expenses aside, I’m actually doing pretty well. I usually burn through my paycheck (I blame pay day shopping trips where I pick up a couple of new clothes) but I’ve noticed that I still have a substantial amount of disposable income on me. I’m still a long way from being financially responsible but I thought I’d share 6 easy ways you can do (that I do) to hold on to your money.

1. Unsubscribe from promotional newsletters

Minutes after I decided to go on a 30-Day Shopping Ban, I got an email from my go-to website that offers discounted design bundles at a huge discount. HUGE. Every bundle is a GOOD DEAL, I am not kidding. Did it sense my resolution to no longer spend money that it sent me an offer to test me?

I briefly considered postponing the shopping ban by a day just so I could buy the design bundle. I have a problem, I know. I was able to resist temptation and immediately unsubscribed from them and have sworn off opening anything from my Promotions tab until after the ban.

2. Mute all triggers

We all have Twitter or Instagram triggers; mine are beauty bloggers. If you’re a beauty blogging friend who constantly tweets beauty products, chances are I’ve temporarily muted you (don’t take it personally). If Instagram shops tempt you with their pretty, precious things, unfollow them. If you want something from them that badly, you’ll find them after your shopping ban or when you have money to spare.

3. Have a reward jar

Every time you’re tempted to buy something, walk away and reward yourself. I usually reward myself with food (a bucky here, takeout coffee there, or rice), even though I’m not a dog and even though it’s bad for my waistline.

A better alternative would be checking the price tag of something that catches your eye and putting that amount into savings.

4. Don’t even bother with window shopping

You won’t be able to control yourself. Most of the clutter I own are from my daily trips passing time at Daiso and Landmark’s Home and Beauty sections. Malls are still part of my daily commute but I completely avoid popping by my favorite stores.

5. Re-assess your necessities

Two days into my shopping ban, I ran out of eyeliner: something considered a necessity that I’m allowed to purchase during the ban. Now I didn’t want to shop two days in so I just told myself I could temporarily live without eyeliner. Besides, I had an old pot of black gel liner anyway.

RELATED: What’s In My Makeup Bag // May 2015

I lost my hairbrush over the weekend, too. Do I need a hairbrush? Yes. Do I need a new hairbrush? Ideally, yes; but we have old hairbrushes lying around the house that I can use in the meantime.

6. Be happy with what you have

Stop lusting after things and— I say this a lot because it’s the root of discontent and stupid spending— don’t compare yourself to others. Someone will always have more and you will want to covet those things but you don’t have to and you don’t need them. :)

How do you avoid spending money?

• Reply Corinth June 8, 2015 at 5:35 pm

HUHU. I wish I can do this! IZOHARD! But maybe I should really consider doing a shopping and eating out ban. These tips are really helpful Helga!

• Reply Helga June 11, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Thanks, Corinth! Not shopping has really helped a lot for me. :)

• Reply Tara Cabullo June 8, 2015 at 5:35 pm

I love this. I have lower EQ on money now when I left Sun Life so I kind of review that every now and then. It helps to keep an eye on the prize as well, for me, when thinking about bans and stuff. Para I don’t feel too deprived HEHE.

• Reply Helga June 15, 2015 at 2:10 pm

I’ve oddly not felt deprived the past ~26 days! But I am planning on hitting Uniqlo once my ban is over haha.

• Reply Dani June 8, 2015 at 6:26 pm

I opened a passbook account and opted to not get an ATM card with it. So now, I have to be wise the amount I withdraw every week. Otherwise, I’d have to keep returning to the bank and risk being judged by the tellers. Sometimes, it works. Sometimes.

• Reply Helga June 15, 2015 at 2:10 pm

How much did it cost to open the passbook account? I wanted one before but parang the initial deposit was higher than an ATM account!

• Reply Dani June 15, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Sa BDO and BPI, 10k. Sa EastWest, 5k lang. :)

• Reply Cherry June 8, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Reward jar! I like that concept. thanks for this Helga! It’s good to be picking new things on your blog posts =)

• Reply Helga June 15, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Thanks, Cherry! :)

• Reply Angel June 8, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Muting the triggers, YES! I can be such an inggitera sometimes and lust after what everybody else has. Then I kind of ignore the itch to buy those things, after a couple of days, the itch gets bearable.

• Reply Helga June 15, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Ohmygoodness, I was browsing a makeup seller’s account on Instagram this morning and I had to turn off my phone haha.

• Reply Olivia June 8, 2015 at 8:35 pm

I avoid spending money by having no money! Hehe :)

• Reply Helga June 15, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Hahaha I cannot! I have cats to feed.

• Reply Grace June 8, 2015 at 8:48 pm

Thank you for the tips, Helga! I tried making my own list too after I read your post about shopping ban. Man, it’s so hard! but I’m glad I already disposed my CCs, ang laking tulong talaga.

• Reply Helga June 15, 2015 at 2:12 pm

I can’t wait to pay off my credit card :(((((((((((((((

• Reply Sarie June 8, 2015 at 11:06 pm

This is something I struggle with also. I usually hermit and try not to go out so much. I eat before leaving the house so I don’t need to spend on food. I also revisit the things I have in my closet before I actually buy anything wardrobe related. I think about the things I own before making a purchase because if I have something that serves the same purpose, I’m less likely to buy it.

Thanks for sharing this!

• Reply Helga June 15, 2015 at 2:19 pm

I eat out too much, too! Also: relationships are expensive! Cab rides, gas, dates etc etc.

I find that I’m totally ok with repeating clothes now haha. I guess you stop caring once you reach a certain age.

• Reply Beauty By Tellie June 9, 2015 at 12:36 am

What I did in college, when I was being greedy as fuck and wanting all the cash for no specific end goal other than ~savings, was take 1.5k off my 2k per week allowance, live off 500 for the week, lock down the excess by Friday, and repeat by Monday. It saved me a lot :))

• Reply Helga June 15, 2015 at 2:19 pm

HAHAHAHAHA Tellie, you are too cute!

• Reply Christine June 9, 2015 at 1:02 am

I need to unsubscribe from my favourite stores online. It’s the devil!

I love No.6 – very true!

• Reply Helga June 15, 2015 at 2:21 pm

I found myself going through makeup for sale on Instagram this morning. Evil!!!

• Reply Jhanz June 9, 2015 at 8:56 am

Totally feeling you! Since I had to switch jobs, I find that it’s an absolute necessity for me to save up, as I need money for a pre-booked trip. Anyway, awesome awesome tips as always! :D

• Reply Helga June 15, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Good luck saving for your trip! :)

• Reply Louise June 9, 2015 at 9:28 am

“Don’t even bother with window shopping. You won’t be able to control yourself.”
    Hahaha, so true! And same, not spending much on things lately, but food! Holy mother of cheesecakes, I underestimated food once again.
    Caffeine Rush

• Reply Helga June 15, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Eating out is so costly grabe :(

• Reply Clarisse June 9, 2015 at 10:01 am

I’m also on a shopping ban this whole month because you inspired me and so far IT’S KILLING ME. But it is helping a lot. I haven’t touched my recent paycheck yet, haha! I like the reward jar idea!! ?

• Reply Helga June 15, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Yay! How’s the shopping ban going for you? Mine ends in 4 days and I’m heading to Uniqlo to pick up a couple of new sweatpants and basic tops lol.

• Reply Jean June 9, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Mute all triggers! I unfollowed all Instagram shops a couple of months back because they were tempting me and I was weak. I’m trying a reward jar now though I don’t know how much I will save from that exercise.

It’s so hard to save and be a responsible adult.

• Reply Helga June 15, 2015 at 3:12 pm

I don’t know why spending money has to be so fun!

• Reply Camille Puche June 10, 2015 at 6:47 am

I should try that reward jar. Actually I’ve been thinking that whenever I want something that I don’t really need, I should put $5 on the jar to prevent myself from saving… and still saving? haha

• Reply edelweiza June 10, 2015 at 5:39 pm

“Be happy with what you have.” That’s soooo important! As the saying goes, happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want. :)

• Reply Jamie June 11, 2015 at 8:47 am

Social media, when it comes to saving, is really such a huge factor!!

• Reply Mikyu Maglasang June 11, 2015 at 11:04 am

#4!! I always tell myself and my boyfriend to not bother window shopping when we don’t really intend to buy something ‘coz it will just hurt our feelings (envy, haha), or it might tempt us to splurge. :))

• Reply Kristine June 11, 2015 at 11:34 am

I try to live by the motto “Collect moments, not things” as a way to keep me from spending money on unnecessary items. So far it’s worked. It helps that I’m only a graduate student and not earning anything but instead have added stress and increasing interest on loans.

• Reply Helga June 15, 2015 at 3:22 pm

I can’t seem to access your blog! It says I’m on a proxy?

• Reply Kristine June 15, 2015 at 8:00 pm

Fixed it! I had accidentally forgot to get rid of this code that blogged proxies. It should be all good now. Thanks for the heads up!

• Reply Paoline June 11, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Same with #4, I pass through 5 malls on my way home. 5! I just walk really fast, without stopping at any store. This works most of the time! :) I am also doing what Tellie did when she was in college!

Cheers to being financially responsible yey! :)

• Reply Marielle June 11, 2015 at 11:51 pm

Great tips. To be honest, I find so much temptation on IG. Even when I wasn’t looking for any particular item, I’d end up wanting things from all those pretty photos. It’s horrible! There were weeks I refused to check my IG feed just to avoid any triggers.

Ditto on the window shopping. When I’m on a ban, I try to meet with friends in restaurants instead of malls. Iwas temptation din.

• Reply Princess Atabelo June 15, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Window shopping is so tempting haha. Mall is just a block away from my office and what I usually do to avoid spending is, I left my money at home, and I’ll just bring enough for what I really need. But sometimes, it won’t work , I really need extra in case of emergencies because even street foods is tempting as well. But this blog helps. Thank you for sharing.

• Reply Michelle June 18, 2015 at 7:13 am

I remember the promise I made to my husband and remember that he means more to me than material things, and if I want to buy something, I make sure to ask and discuss it with him. That’s how I avoid it. :D

• Reply Janine July 7, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Spending money is fun!!! But the aftermath is dreadfullllll. I unfollowed some of the online shops on Instagram already and I guess I have to unfollow them all now! My feed is still actually full of product posts from the shops I still follow. :/

• Reply Bae Milanes November 6, 2015 at 10:00 am

This is such a nice blog post and a good reminder! :) I’m browsing over your blog because I’m looking for your pescetarian post but I can’t find it?? I got fed up of buying clothes I seldom wear, things I don’t use enough, so I told myself instead of spending for myself, I will save for Christmas and I put myself in a HOLIDAY SHOPPING BAN my god. But something, or someone, probably God, told me I have to take it to the next level, so I’m doing a ban for the whole month of November AND December, just because I know I can use a little more saving, and I don’t want to be in the crowd of panic buyers during the holiday. I’ve convinced myself enough to collect memories and not things. Now where’s that pescetarian post again..