personal growth

Revisiting My 2015 Goals

Revisiting My 2015 Goals |

We’re halfway through 2015 (cheesus hell, where did time go?!) and I thought it would be good to revisit my 2015 Goals and see how I’m doing.

A super short recap: this was the word I chose to define my year:

1. De-clutter – doing well

I’ve halved my wardrobe, cleared a lot of shelf space (my mom basically hid over half of my library and I’m still trying to make time to re-do it), and got rid of a ton of beauty products. I am far from done, of course, because I still have a lot of junk in my room/closet.

2. Consume less – doing well

I went on a 30-Day Shopping Ban that I have yet to break, though I must note that I bought hair dye last Sunday (but I’ll be reimbursed for it, so that doesn’t count) and I’ve been using my credit card for Uber rides.

I’ve always loved spending money and buying things so it feels great to no longer be a slave to mindless consumption. I’ll be going off the ban this week, though, because I need to pick up a few beauty essentials that I ran out of.

You know what’s the best thing that came out of this ban? I’ve sort of lost desire to shop for clothes. I’ve been repeating a lot of outfits (lots of blacks and grays) and I’m totally okay with it. I think everyone should try a shopping ban at least once, if only as a way to reset the way we think of what’s necessary.

3. Be debt-free by December 2015 – could be doing better

I don’t even want to get into this today haha.

4. Introspection – doing okay

I have feelings and I’m not afraid to acknowledge them!

5. Curl my hair with my Babyliss U-Styler – could be doing better

I tried, but I couldn’t get the hang of it so I went and purchased a clipless curling wand. I still want the refined and defined curls that straighteners give, so I’ll be holding on to my U-Styler until I figure out how to do it.

I should just sell the darn thing, though.

Baguio |

6. Learn how to blend eyeshadow – doing okay

I mostly wear neutrals so it’s hard to mess up, but I did lose my eyeshadow brushes during my birthday weekend. Re-writing this goal to: learn how to do a smokey eye.

7. Be more confident – doing okay

Presentations no longer have me wanting to come down with pneumonia the night before and I say yes to more opportunities now. I also no longer hide behind my bangs WHICH IS KIND OF A BIG DEAL, because exposing my smaller right eye and lower right eyebrow have always made me feel ugly.

I still doubt my writing every now and then.

8. Embrace my chub, but also knock off a couple of inches from my waist – could be doing better

The only reason I want to be skinny again is so that I’d look nice in pictures. Silly, right? Other than that, I’m kind of pretty okay with the 40lbs I gained in the last 3-5 years… sometimes. I still have my bad days.

That doesn’t mean I should stop trying to lose weight/be healthy, of course.

9. Remember to take my birth control on time, all the time – could be doing better

Why is this so hard? Please tell me you falter at this, too.

10. Knit a scarf – totally ditching

What do I even need a knit scarf for? I live in the tropics.

11. Quit smoking – totally failing

Because I ain’t even trying.

Did you set goals for 2015? How are you doing?

• Reply Justine June 23, 2015 at 5:19 pm

I remember I commented that we have similar goals for this year, so I will go through the ones that apply to me as well hahaha.

1. De-clutter

I need to work on this.

2. Consume less

Minimized my makeup purchases this year but since I haven’t de-cluttered I feel like I haven’t consumed less as well. I don’t know.. I’m confused!

3. Be debt-free by December 2015

Too fucking difficult.

4. Introspection

Too much introspection!

9. Remember to take my birth control on time, all the time

Because of Clue, I always take my pill on time, all the time. Have not faltered even once (okay maybe that time when my pill fell on the carpet and I had to look for it (PHEW I FOUND IT).

11. Quit smoking

Quit last March!!! The no. of cigs I smoked since that time, I can probably count with one hand. Wishing you the best!!

• Reply Paoline June 23, 2015 at 7:10 pm

I love this mid-year evaluation and I’m glad you’re doing well on most of your goals, yey! :) I use a Lady Pill Reminder app, it has an alarm for whatever time you set to take the pill, and also an alarm for when you run out and have to buy a new set.

• Reply Helga June 26, 2015 at 10:42 am

I’ll look it up! Thanks, Pao! :)

• Reply Monica June 23, 2015 at 7:35 pm

I swear. You’ve changed since you dated Joey – in a very good way! I’ve been reading your blog since tumblr days with babygirl (do you remember her??). And I like the new Helga! Keep it up.

PS – Embrace your chubs! <3

• Reply Helga June 26, 2015 at 10:43 am

Thanks, Monica! Babygirl is sadly dead haha.

• Reply Jhanz June 23, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Wow, a lot of it are “doing okay” so I guess it’s safe to conclude that you’re doing pretty well with your goals, right? :)

* Birth Control Pills – don’t worry, I falter most of the time as well. I mean, I’m trying, but I guess it’s just too difficult to actually follow the ~routine~

* Confidence – I think you look great and you write wonderfully. :) I hope you get to that level of confidence that you’re aiming for!

Go Helga! There are still a couple of months to go, thus, more chances of winning (chos. Of reaching your goals, of course). Good luck!!! :D

• Reply Helga June 26, 2015 at 10:44 am

Thanks, Jhanz! Biggest thing I need to achieve is quitting smoking :(((

• Reply Tricia June 24, 2015 at 12:03 am

Most of these are also in my list!
    1. De-clutter – I just threw away, donated and sold half of my closet!

2. Consume less – No. And I have to. I would have to read your Shopping Ban post and maybe do it as well.

3. Be debt-free by December 2015 – Not in my list because I’m still paying for my car. This will not happen until 2018.

4. Introspection – “I have feelings and I’m not afraid to acknowledge them!” DITTO!

7. Be more confident – I’m doing fine! I mean I have to because I work as a Project Manager. I need to confident!

8. Embrace my chub, but also knock off a couple of inches from my waist – Working on it! Been doing intense work out sesh 3-4 times a week. I’m also working on my bad eating habits. I’m doing pretty well. But rice.

9. Remember to take my birth control on time, all the time – I don’t take birth control or use any form of protection… and that’s something I should include on my list.

11. Quit smoking – “totally failing. Because I ain’t even trying.” SAME!

• Reply Helga June 26, 2015 at 10:44 am

Hahahaha yay for our successes and good luck to #11!

• Reply Jae June 24, 2015 at 12:38 am

Funny I have my 2015 long-term goals recap scheduled to go live tomorrow (Wednesday here in the US)! Looking at the brighter side of things, you still have six months left to progress with your goals. :)

• Reply Helga June 26, 2015 at 10:45 am

Six months to quit smokingggg

• Reply Jae June 26, 2015 at 10:52 am

Cold turkey? :D

• Reply Trisha June 24, 2015 at 12:58 am

This will be a TL;DR comment but I still hope you read it hahahaha

1. De-clutter
    * I also need to do this. My siblings and I share the same room and there’s clutter everywhere simply because we have a lot of stuff that won’t fit in their proper places anymore. I’m planning on selling some of the books that have long been unread on my shelves (and aren’t exactly hard to find) so I could fit all my books back to their shelves. I need to get rid of them before I leave for New York. *crosses fingers*

2. Consume less
    * Oh good lord. You should see my credit card charges over the last couple of months. Not to mention I also shell out some cash here and there. My budget and list of expenses have long been forgotten. I need to work on it again and make a goal-oriented wishlist instead of spending on a whim.

6. Learn how to blend eyeshadow
    * I think I need to start watching makeup tutorials. I seriously don’t know shit even though I’ve been putting makeup for god knows how long. XD

7. Be more confident
    * Working on this as well. I am one hell of an awkward person. I could just freeze silently in a corner because I can’t come up with good small talk when I need to. When my ex-boyfriend invited me to be his date during their frat ball last year, I wasn’t sure if it was just all the machismo oozing from a lot of his brods or the fact that bigshot people were there (Hi, Senator Chiz) but I was downright nervous and intimidated even. I was able to pull through but I wish I socialized more.

10. Knit a scarf
    * I’ve crocheted more than ten scarves last year (three or four of which have the same pattern, just different colors). Go figure. I don’t even know if it’ll be appropriate for NY weather since they’re not that thick.

11. Quit smoking
    * I fell ill with the flu two weeks ago and I haven’t fully recovered yet. My throat is still itchy and I cough from time to time. I’ve told myself countless of times that I should quit smoking ever since I started the bad habit last year but I’ve never really lasted longer than a week. But when I tried smoking last night during my shift, I no longer liked the taste of it in my mouth. And the throat irritation and my lungs just couldn’t bare the thing. Although I still smoked three sticks, at least it’s better than my usual half pack a night. Trying to quit now and hopefully I’ll stick to it.

• Reply Helga June 26, 2015 at 10:46 am

Hope we can both quit smoking!

De-cluttering get easier as you go, it’s just starting that’s hard haha. It’s overwhelming kasi but once you start throwing out things, you’ll be ok.

• Reply Shayne June 24, 2015 at 2:55 am

I was supposed to do a whole blog series on going minimal, which was my overall goal for 2015. I was supposed to do monthly goals around that central goal, but my China trip came up and everything started being all about China. I suppose after July, I’ll get back on track with the goal blogging-wise. I’ve been making strides offline though, so it’s just a matter of documenting it. I’ll probably start with how I’m packing a month of my life in one carry-on.

• Reply Helga June 26, 2015 at 11:10 am

SAME HERE! Starting with my “summer capsule wardrobe.” Summer’s over and I never even started the draft LOL.

• Reply Kaith June 24, 2015 at 7:11 am

Yay to doing really good with your goals! I can say my shopping ban is also going well simply because I just ask for an allowance from my husband. Since I haven’t been shopping impulsively, I was able to trim down my clothes, shoes, and bags.

You write so well, what are you talking about?? And you’re witty! So plus points if you’re a copywriter. Hehe.

• Reply Helga June 26, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Hahaha thanks, Kaith! Good job on the shopping ban!

• Reply stephy macasaet June 24, 2015 at 7:49 am

Super love this post Helga! I agree with number 7. But tbh, I find you cute kaya! Kaya no need to hide half of your face with your bangs. :)

• Reply Helga June 26, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Thanks, Stephy! :)

• Reply Corinth June 24, 2015 at 11:27 am

I’m glad to see you’re doing well with your goals! I don’t even want to check my 2015 goals. I AM SCARED that I am failing at most of it. HAHA.

I don’t use birth control pills. I’m just glad I have a husband who understands our situation haha. I don’t want kids YET and he knows that so well. :)

I should do a shopping ban too. I’m sure it will help with my “pay off credit card” goal. Jeez. It’s so hard! So many good makeup products to buy! </3

• Reply Alex Carpio June 24, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Been doing a bit of # 1 and I must say I am also doing okay :)

I feel you on # 9. Umm, I’m pregnant now, but it’s a good thing. :D I used to set up a phone alarm for it.

And # 10, I stopped because I got pregnant, otherwise, I don’t think I’d be able to stop either.

• Reply Aneth June 24, 2015 at 3:34 pm

I’m so glad that you’re doing pretty well on your goals! I just hope that you can start quitting smoking too soon. Wishing you the best, Helga! :)

• Reply Kisty Mea June 24, 2015 at 9:10 pm

We have somewhat similar goals! I’ve know I’ve decluttered a lot of things, but it doesn’t feel like I did at all. As for the consume less part, I’m doing okay but I can’t help but I still commit a few slip-ups every now and then.

• Reply Helga June 29, 2015 at 12:49 pm

De-cluttering is so fun!

• Reply Michelle June 25, 2015 at 10:02 am

I’m glad your goals are coming along nicely! ^^ I’m just trying to focus on myself and work on self care to get better. I got the general idea but I have to keep trying. I gotta keep going.

• Reply Alissa June 25, 2015 at 11:11 am

I just read my 2015 goals and I’m glad I’m already doing some of it. Yay me! Congrats to you too for doing well on most of your goals. Have you tried using vape instead?

• Reply Christine June 25, 2015 at 11:39 pm

Set an alarm on your phone to take your pill. I do it and it makes it so much easier!

I’ve been doing better at not shopping as well. When I see temptation (i.e. Zara summer sale), I allow myself to browse online and usually not end up buying anything anyways. A little voice tells me I don’t need it. Lol.

I’m trying to embrace my new body in my 30’s. I can’t pretend I’m still 20 and 100 pounds. I just have to accept it but try to be healthier and stop body shaming myself (we are our own worse critics).

• Reply Beauty By Tellie June 26, 2015 at 12:27 am

I like how forgiving your language is. Forgiving but not lazy. I think goals are fluid. Yeah, ditch the scarf! Work on the others. Pat yourself on the back for good progress as fuel for those with poor progress.

P.S. I wish other people would aim to be debt-free by 2015. #hugot

• Reply Aiza C. June 28, 2015 at 6:27 pm

I am list freak myself. I had my 2015 goals written. And upon checking, I’m only like 50% compliant. Hah. Well, I still have 6 months to go.

• Reply Revisiting My 2015 Goals | Summer Babe August 13, 2015 at 10:01 am

[…] in 2015. Speaking of goals, I remember posting my 2015 goals before 2014 ended and as inspired by Helga’s post, I decided to take a look at my previous post and evaluate myself. So, how am I doing […]

• Reply Maya September 1, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Girl, maybe the birth control pills are the culprits to your chub…

• Reply Helga September 1, 2015 at 6:26 pm

I think binge-drinking alcohol on the weekends and lack of portion control and exercise are mostly at fault.