personal growth

24 Ways You Can Make the World a Better Place

24 Ways to Make the World a Better Place |

Forgive me for posting yet another listicle to add to the cesspit of listicles that is the internet (and my blog); I heard they’re all the rage these days!

The other day, my co-worker and I were crossing the street and had to go around a car that was blocking the pedestrian lane. Really, lady? You didn’t see the stoplight go from green to yellow to red? REALLY??? I wanted to knock on her window and ask where her amo was so I could let them know she was too goddamn stupid to be driving. Or do what this guy did.

It’s really easy to piss off strangers but it’s also really easy to be a decent human being and not ruin someone’s day. Just in case you need to be guided towards the light, I put together a list of easy things you can do to not be hated. This is also a reminder to everyone (myself, included) to mind your manners.

[tweet “It’s really easy to piss off strangers but it’s also really easy to be a decent human being.”]

24 easy ways to not be hated by everyone (your mother, included):

1. Don’t block the pedestrian lane.

2. Stop for pedestrians. You don’t own the road.

3. There are no awards for being super kewl and edgy with your non-conformist opinions so don’t be a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian, ya asshole.

4. Offer a drunk person water.

5. Hold the door for someone.

6. Greet security guards. Don’t forget to thank them when they hold the door for you.

7. Share your food. Don’t steal food.

8. Ask your co-workers how their weekend went.

9. Pocket your trash. It ticks me off when people just throw their trash on the street, though I admit I do this too with my cigarette butts. I need an ashtray pouch, stat.

10. Say no to plastic bags and disposable utensils.

11. Read before you comment or share something on the internet.

12. Pay your share of the bill.

13. Don’t catcall, slut shame, or victim blame, ya asshole.

14. Keep to the right of escalators so people in a hurry can pass through the left side.

15. Don’t park beside the handicapped ramp.

16. Respect the queue. Don’t try to cut in front of someone.

(One time, Tin and I were in line for a cab at the airport and this impatient family fancied themselves more special than the rest of us as they tried to get someone else’s cab. “Ano? Kung di tayo kikilos, aabutin tayo dito ng Pasko!” the dad exclaimed.

Our time is just as precious as yours, buddy.)

17. Rescue an animal. Spay and neuter your pets.

18. Give up beef, pork, and chicken. JK, I don’t expect anyone to do this but lessening your meat intake is good for the environment.

19. Morning meetings are Satan’s jam. Don’t call for morning meetings unless you want to be on his guest list for hell. Or are Satan himself.

[Tweet “Don’t call for morning meetings, unless you are Satan.”]

20. Chew with your mouth closed, ya farm animal.

21. If you’re Bill Gates, you should stop making Windows laptops.

22. If you’re China, stop being China.

23. Piling on the perfume/cologne is just as bad as reeking of BO. Go easy on it!

24. Don’t shit on someone’s happy moment. You really DON’T need leave that Facebook comment to piss on their bonfire, ya asshole.

Do you guys have tips to share on how to make the world a better place aka NOT be hated?

• Reply Jamie July 2, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Ugh cars not stopping. Are we the only country that has to stop for these cars concerned only with their selves?!

Ahhh and 4. I remember somebody suggesting I drink water when she overheard me in the powder room telling my friend I don’t feel okay. Even though she looked drunk herself. Hahahaha!

• Reply Helga July 3, 2015 at 12:54 pm

I hate it more when they blow their horn at me WHEN I AM AT THE PEDESTRIAN LANE.

• Reply Aneth July 2, 2015 at 5:45 pm

#16! It really irks me when someone cuts the line, like “Were you not raised well by your parents??”

• Reply Helga July 3, 2015 at 12:54 pm

I see it happen all the time! When it happens to me, I speak up. Wish more people would.

• Reply Elle Strange July 2, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Utang na loob, may ibang tao na dumadaan kaya either bilisan nyo maglakad or do your PDA in private. Hahahaha. I am really pissed whenever I have to “overtake” some couples or just people that walks as if they are the only ones walking in that area. Hello! Everyone’s in a hurry to go somewhere. Lol.

• Reply Helga July 3, 2015 at 12:55 pm

I hate slow walkers, too! And people who block pathways, like people who stop as soon as they get off the escalator or exit/enter a doorway.

• Reply Sherica July 2, 2015 at 7:40 pm

22. If you’re China, stop being China.

YES PLEASE hahaha jk.

Anyway, these are all true! What I hate the most is when people cut in line! Unfortunately, chinese tourists are the best in cutting in line >….<

• Reply Helga July 3, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Ugh they were everywhere in HK Disneyland and they were just yucky.

• Reply Romila Marie July 2, 2015 at 7:43 pm

#2!!!!!!!! Hindi ko gets kung bakit ako yung kailangan magpatintero sa mga kotse, eh nasa PEDESTRIAN lane naman ako. Hay, Philippines.

Say thank you to waitresses/waiters. Also, don’t call them to your table, if you’re not ready to order!!!

• Reply Helga July 3, 2015 at 12:56 pm

“don’t call them to your table, if you’re not ready to order!!!”

PEOPLE DO THAT?!?!? Grabe ang dumb haha.

• Reply Kaith July 2, 2015 at 7:44 pm

I love this list! Im giving the finger to any asshole driver who don’t stop and give way to pedestrians. Including jeepney drivers. Ayoko din sa mga tao who don’t seem to get the concept of private space, especially when lining up for the ATM machine. Kahit anong silip mo, di kita bibigyan ng pera ko. Che.

• Reply Helga July 4, 2015 at 11:16 pm

Jeepney drivers are the worst -_-

• Reply Patricia Willa July 2, 2015 at 9:15 pm

How I wish people here in Manila know #14 , I only noticed few who practice such though mostly are in Makati.

• Reply Helga July 4, 2015 at 11:17 pm

I don’t think people are aware kasi! There needs to be PSAs around.

• Reply Clarisse July 2, 2015 at 10:39 pm

#14 really needs to become a common practice here!!!!!!!!!!!! Super pet peeve when someone takes up all the space in front of you and escalators often move at a sloooooowwww pace!!! *explodes*

• Reply Helga July 4, 2015 at 11:18 pm

DIBA!!! Why do they need to stand in the middle!!!

• Reply Trish July 2, 2015 at 11:14 pm

#24. Raining on someone’s parade just because you can. UGH asshole

• Reply Helga July 4, 2015 at 11:19 pm

Saw this happen on a friend’s Facebook. He posted that he was happy when Ireland legalized gay marriage and someone commented with something negative and was surprised nung inaway sya haha.

• Reply Jae July 2, 2015 at 11:26 pm

Applies to driving on the freeway/expressway, too!

• Reply Raisa July 3, 2015 at 6:35 am

Be nice to retail/service workers! They get paid shit; you really think they can change corporate policy for you?

• Reply Helga July 4, 2015 at 11:21 pm

And customer service reps!

• Reply Kai July 3, 2015 at 8:52 am

Because of hurry, sometimes bigla na lang ako tatawid and recently Icrossed the street muntik na ako mabundol and the man shouted, “wala ka sa luneta park, nene!” I know I broke his good morning just because of my shameless crossing manners. Kahit na late din ako sa class hehehe :)

• Reply Alex July 3, 2015 at 10:16 am

I love morning meetings. =))

• Reply Helga July 3, 2015 at 1:08 pm

• Reply Corinth July 3, 2015 at 11:06 am

Here in Whitehorse, cars stop for people! It’s crazy how KIND and GIVING the drivers here are. Ang mga pasaway dito mga PILIPINO! Haha. When a car sees you from a block away, they start slowing down already. HAHA. It’s pretty awesome. I can’t wait to see the day the Philippines start IMPROVING! It seems like things are getting worse every year. :(

• Reply Helga July 4, 2015 at 11:21 pm

Things really are getting worse :(

• Reply Alex Carpio July 3, 2015 at 12:07 pm

1 2 and 3.

I’m gonna share this! More people should read this!

• Reply Helga July 4, 2015 at 11:23 pm

Hahaha thanks!

• Reply Jaya July 3, 2015 at 12:09 pm

ALSO, if you’re a pedestrian… Please USE THE PEDESTRIAN CROSSING. I drive around a lot and I can’t even begin to tell you how many pedestrians choose to just RUN across the street when the light for the cars is green. Like, hello. Wait a few seconds and maybe walk over the the pedestrian crossing?? Don’t just bolt into the middle of the road then blame the driver if they almost hit you!! Some pedestrians are annoying too like when I walk to the office and I wait for my light to turn green so I can cross? There are people who just cross whenever and I actually call them out on it.

• Reply Helga July 3, 2015 at 12:58 pm

I used to NEVER jaywalk and would take the long, hot route (footbridge) but AKO PA YUNG NALULUGI because jeepney drivers choose to pick up passengers where people jaywalk!!!

It also irks me when people cross when the red man is still on.

• Reply Dani July 3, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Love how the items on this list (except maybe #21 and #22) are actionable, any given day!

• Reply Helga July 4, 2015 at 11:23 pm

But 22 is the most important hahahahaha

• Reply Trisha July 3, 2015 at 1:56 pm

My dad got into an accident in SLEX while he was on his way to work earlier this week. What pissed me off was the fact that the multicab that hit him pissed off another driver on the road and said pissed off driver just had to get even that the multicab ended up crashing onto my dad’s car. Good thing my dad was alert enough not to hit the brakes too hard else the impact would have been worse. To make things even shitty, the guy driving the muticab was only carrying a STUDENT PERMIT. Nakakaawa rin naman if we make them pay for the damages to our car because nagtitinda lang ata sila ng isda BUT STILL. Don’t drive with only a student permit without being accompanied by a licensed driver. More importantly, be responsible when driving. /end rant but I’m still pissed

• Reply Helga July 4, 2015 at 11:24 pm

I’m glad your dad is ok! I think a lot of jeepney drivers don’t even have a DL.

• Reply Alissa July 3, 2015 at 3:31 pm

Be kind to waiters and it’s not their fault the food was served too long. Just because you’re a customer, you don’t have to be so rude and embarrass them in front of others. This is a great list. I hope assholes can read this.

• Reply Helga July 4, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Always be nice to people who handle your food!!!

I don’t like people who shame people doing their jobs. I was in line behind a girl who yelled at the lady behind the SM customer service counter and the poor lady’s hands were shaking.

• Reply John Steven July 3, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Heal the world
    Make it a better place
    For you and for me
    And the entire human race

That said, #22. CHINA OUT OF WEST PHILIPPINE SEA! ????

• Reply Helga July 4, 2015 at 11:24 pm

And the planet!

• Reply Friday’s 10 Happy Things / 2 | tales peppered with rock and roll July 3, 2015 at 10:39 pm

[…] Words to live by. This makes me want to become a more decent human being aka appease myself from being an ass from time to time, okay every time. […]

• Reply Mikyu Maglasang July 3, 2015 at 11:39 pm

Bill Gates isn’t the one who makes Windows laptops, though. Hehehe.

One of my pet peeves would be slow walkers! I hate it when people are in busy streets/walkways and they take their time in moving forward!!

• Reply Helga July 4, 2015 at 11:24 pm

I know, it’s a joke.

• Reply Dice July 5, 2015 at 12:16 am

Ok, this all accurate but I can’t stop laughing to it especially numbers 4,7,19,20,21,22 and 23. Soorrrryyy about that :D

• Reply Kah July 6, 2015 at 8:29 am

Your listicles are always on point! <3

• Reply Richel V. September 22, 2015 at 9:37 pm

I remembered the time when my friends and I were lining up for free tickets for a band’s show. The tickets were really limited – just 200. The girls in front of us let four people cut in line which we called them out for. I hope people who let other people cut in line realizes that those who patiently wait in line are losing time – and in our case, chances to get a ticket. People were lining up since 8:00 AM! It’s really insensitive and it’s one of those things that really irks me.

Good karma lets us get the closest seats though. Hahahaha.