blogging, featured

Lifestyle Bloggers are Useless

Lifestyle Bloggers are Useless |

Maybe it’s because I’m old and cranky. Maybe it’s because I’m not an imbecile. Maybe it’s because some things are common knowledge (or so I thought)…

I never know how to feel about lifestyle bloggers. They take pretty photos. They eat the best food. They’re always flying off to some fancy cosmopolitan city or hidden beach. They don’t own pets because their sheets are forever white, pristine, and fluffy. They live in airy, well-lit apartments that I can’t afford. They have an endless supply of baby’s breath. Their coffee never spills and they have a lot of oranges WTF??? Their legs are svelte and milky, with no trace of cellulite on their thighs. They have gym memberships. 80% of them are white.

Their highlight reel looks like this:

Lifestyle Bloggers are Useless

While mine looks like… a painful attempt to look like theirs. (Hehe.)

Jealousy? Admiration? Resentment? Fascination? Guilt (for trying to be like them)? Maybe I feel a little bit of all. But generally, I think lifestyle bloggers are OKAY. They’re nice to look and are great for photo inspiration (photspo?). But let’s be real— the majority of them are useless.

When I started getting back into blogging, I was told (by the internet) that it is important to offer something useful to your readers. It’s a rule I try to live/blog by because I am not an expired jar of mayonnaise (I hate mayonnaise) taking up precious space. When I make listicles (they’re easy, OKAY), I make damn sure I am offering something useful or funny. If I can’t make you go “ay, oo nga noh, thanks!” the least I can do is try and make you snort in amusement. Your time is precious and eff me if I waste it.

So it really gets my goat when I log in to my Bloglovin and see crap like “How to Have a Girls’ Night Out” or “5 Ways to be Active.” This is what my psychographic is interested in? This is what middle class millennials need? Are we stupid? My golly.

Reading List

Besides making us feel like we’ll never be as good as them (or their manicured internet lawns), what purpose do lifestyle blogs have? Because they sure are hell aren’t there to teach us how to live, considering this is what my Bloglovin feed looks like:

“10 Ways to Style Shorts”

You pair them with… other clothes? And shoes? Is it no longer possible to get dressed in the mornings without help from the internet?

Unless you don’t have legs, I’m pretty sure you’ll be okay and don’t need to be told to wear your shorts with:

“A sweater if you’re feeling chilly”
“Heels when you’re feeling ~*~flirty~*~”
“A striped tee just because! #LOL”

“10 Ways to Beat Monday Blues”

So now we need tips on HOW TO SUCK IT UP AND BE AN ADULT. Out of curiosity, I clicked, expecting some hokey positive-living radical self-love stuff like visualize your day or buy yourself a f*cking diamond (actual advice from Gala Darling because ya know, everyone can afford a diamond). Instead, I am told to:

“Wash your face with a splash of cold water”
“Make a to-do list”
“Add spirulina to your morning smoothie”

EFF. ME. I’ve been adulting wrong all along.

“5 Reasons Why Working Out is Simply the Best” and “10 Reasons Why Food is Good”

Is this a post meant for babies? I understand when people need a brush-up on etiquette and good manners, but what kind of functioning adult needs to be told (or reminded, as per the article) why food (!!!) or working out is good for them?

“8 Rules to Know Before Tweeting on Twitter”

“Rule #1: Learn how to write in 140 characters.”

At this point, I was yelling at my laptop. Who is this blogger talking to? Babies? Grandmothers? Mole women who lived in an underground bunker for 15 years and are learning about Twitter for the very first time? Who?!?!

RELATED: The 5 People I Wish Would GTFO Twitter

“10 Things To Do Before Your 30s”

I actually don’t have an issue with lists like this though it runs the risk of making people feel inadequate BUT HEY WHAT ELSE IS NEW, IT’S THE INTERNET.

My issue is when the list is filled with generic white girl drivel like learn a foreign language or travel the world or do something spontaneous (#LordJesusAlmighty @ this).

“15 Things to Do on a Sunday”

No shit, I can read a book on a Sunday? Watch a movie in bed? Go shopping? Cook? Wow! Without this list, I’d be lost and clueless.

Thank you, Lifestyle Blogger, for teaching me how to live.

REAL TALK, THOUGH: It’s insulting. Why would you treat your audience that way?

I see my readers as smart, funny women and I respect them enough not to subject them to generic, overused BS and platitudes for the sake of publishing “new” content.

Talk to me about the important stuff. Speak from experience.

It requires more work because you’re not just regurgitating crap that’s already on the internet, but it’s also more valuable.

Here are some topics I wish lifestyle bloggers would tackle instead (headlines are subject to revisions):

• How I Take Care of My Vagina
  • Utang Dito, Utang Doon: How I Got My Money Back from My BFFs
  • How I Won My Friendship Break-Up
  • The Lazy Girl’s Guide to Success
  • How to Win At Tinder
  • How to Go from Call Center Agent to Copywriter in Less than 7 Years
  • How to Be a Star Blogger (clue: you have to be young, skinny, and pretty)
  • Unclogging the Toilet, Filing Your Taxes: How to Adult

You get me???

But maybe I’m just asking for too much. Maybe I shouldn’t just blindly subscribe to blogs simply because they have a 5-digit following. Maybe I’m just not their target market. MAYBE I’M JUST ANGRY LOL. Who knows? But if there’s one thing I’m sure of, it’s this: The general lack of substance makes me feel a bit better about my ditzy ole self.

Now excuse me while I get off trot off on my high horse!!!

• Reply Cae July 28, 2015 at 8:02 pm

• Reply Helga July 28, 2015 at 11:18 pm

Thanks, Cae! <3

• Reply Jhanz July 28, 2015 at 8:05 pm

YOU. ARE. SUCH. AN. ADORABLE. WOMAN. I was really having a bad day and this post just made me smile for the first time in 5 hours (HAHA okay not rly 5 I guess, but I know you get me). Sometimes I would look at lifestyle blogs, and at one point or another, I find myself thinking that I am not good enough to deserve the kind of life that they have. Or that no matter how hard I strive, I wouldn’t get into their place (bec let’s be really, I’d love to get paid to travel and attend events and have the time of my life). But in reality, I’m a 23 year old, poor, and have a 10-7 job with very little salary (not even enough to afford a freaking trip abroad dammit). However, this post made me think about how curated their blogs are, and now I feel pretty normal, knowing that there are great blogs (like yours) who actually feel the same way as I do from time to time.

This made me pretty conscious about what I write (I actually went to my blog and checked what I’m writing abt), and I feel relieved? that I am just a blogger – no labels, no niche, no pressure on whatever goes on my blog because it is mine. Not saying that I’m better than everyone else (bec really who am I! And they are way better at what they do, of course), but I guess I just feel lucky that I get to experience the rawness of blogging just because I can. I can blog about my shitty day and how shitty it is to commute, and nobody cares because I have no one to please. Ha ha. Life.

Let me ride that high horse with you, girl.

• Reply Helga July 28, 2015 at 11:21 pm

Awww, thank you so much, Jhanz!!!

I deleted a line while I was editing this entry but I was supposed to say something about how I like not having pressure to sanitize my shit online because I can at least have a personality. So many bloggers keep it so happy and positive all the time and while there’s nothing wrong with that, it just doesn’t seem 100% genuine!

PS: I was poor, too, at 23!

• Reply Jhanz July 30, 2015 at 11:56 am

Then maybe when I turn your age, I’ll be winning at life like you do! Maybe not really as rich just like the others, but at least I get to be real with my shit and just tell the world about how I think, without any shame. Self love!!!!

• Reply Cris July 28, 2015 at 8:10 pm

I’m a long-time lurker and this post made me come out of my hiding to tell you that I find your blog useful. And I like your snark, too. :) And yeah, I unfollowed a lot of IG accounts/lifestyle blogs that are mostly showing white sheets, kinfolk, succulents, MAC book, etc because they are all so contrived, soulless, and lack originality.

• Reply Helga July 28, 2015 at 11:24 pm

Thank you for commenting, Cris!!!

I am very guilty of getting suckered into the whole minimalist Instagram feed with the same cliche elements. The aesthetic just appeals to me (IDK if it’s because it’s trendy or because I really like it… I haven’t figured that out yet) but I also poke fun of myself for buying into it. SAD FACE EMOJI.

• Reply Rose July 28, 2015 at 8:16 pm

FINALLY, someone said it!

• Reply Helga July 29, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Thanks for reading, Rose! :)

• Reply Cherry July 28, 2015 at 8:26 pm

thank you Helga. HAHAH actually, the only reason I follow some famous lifestyle bloggers is because I’m trying to weigh how interestingly mediocre they blog posts are.

You remain one of my faves alongside Camie, and Dominique Tiu. I’m glad your posts are sensible!

• Reply Helga July 29, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Thanks so much, Cherry! :)

• Reply Yee Laniton July 28, 2015 at 8:28 pm

OMG Ate Helga, this is the best! I’m thinking the same way too.

• Reply Helga July 29, 2015 at 6:08 pm

A lot of blogs are so frustrating! Thanks for reading, Yee. :)

• Reply Adrianne July 28, 2015 at 8:34 pm

I remember the first time I stumbled on your on your blog. I was trying to bleach my hair. DIY. Google led me to you! Since then I follow your blog. Then Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

I really find your posts useful and now that I am trying to have my own blog, I try to keep in mind your tips and try not to be useless. hahaha…

• Reply Helga July 29, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Thanks so much, Adrianne!

Making sure your posts are useful is a struggle! There are times when I’d rather ramble lol. Buti na lang there’s Twitter!

• Reply Michelle B July 28, 2015 at 8:34 pm

I might have been lurking on the right side of the internet since I haven’t seen any of the blog titles mentioned above! Please do share if you find something on how to adult or managing finances. We need more of that!

• Reply Helga July 29, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Lucky you!!! What is it with Bloglovin, serving me annoying stuff via explore haha.

Do you read

• Reply Ghoent July 28, 2015 at 8:35 pm

Hahaha. This is exactly why i’ve been following you eversince i came across your manilabarbie domain then. You’re the real-life veronica mars/ gilmore girl winning in life and sarcasm. Can’t get enough of your wit and realtalk ????

• Reply Ghoent July 28, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Whoop. Emojis appear as question marks? Of course.

• Reply Helga July 29, 2015 at 6:55 pm

OMG ManilaBarbie EMBARRASSED FACE EMOJI haha (and yes, emojis don’t display =/)

Thank you so much, Ghoent! Love the Veronica Mars comparison, I freaking love her.

• Reply Louise July 28, 2015 at 8:42 pm

This is what I want to see on my feed every day! YOU GO GIRL! Honestly, what percent of the human race has gorgeous flowing hair, porcelain skin, smoking hot bod, lifetime supply of artisanal coffee, money for all those travel and clothes, all the Kinfolk issues, and comes with a heck of a fine, tall gentlemen on the side to take her photos? Really?! Excuse me as I shoo away all the lies of world I currently live in. I loved you then, but I definitely love you indefinitely now.
    Caffeine Rush

• Reply Helga July 29, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Thank you, Louise!!! Their picture perfect Instagram lives used to make me feel super bad and jealous but my heart is elsewhere now. Plus, I know it’s all lacquer and gloss anyway. It also just means they have more time than I do to create really nice photos. So if anything, I’m just jealous of the free time they have. :(

• Reply bestie July 28, 2015 at 8:44 pm

mabuhay ka, helga weber!

PS. The Lazy Girl’s Guide To Success? i’m interested. tell me more.

• Reply Helga July 29, 2015 at 7:04 pm

HAHAHA, if only it were possible!!!

Thanks, Bestie! <3

• Reply Abi July 28, 2015 at 8:55 pm

I get annoyed more by articles from elite daily and thought catalog. I mean date who you freaking want! Stop saying what I should do. Although some posts are ok, sayang lang kasi minsan natatabunan yung mga ok na articles sa ibang blog.

• Reply Helga July 29, 2015 at 7:09 pm

Ay ayokong-ayoko rin na sinasabihan ako kung sino ang dapat kong i-date!!! Hahahaha.

• Reply Irene July 28, 2015 at 8:57 pm

As soon as I read “radical self love” I knew who you were talking about lolol.

clip clop clip clop

• Reply Helga July 30, 2015 at 10:31 am

lmfaoooooooooo @ clip clop clip clop

• Reply Deann July 28, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Finally! Been a reader of your blog but I only got to comment now, I can’t even stop smiling while reading this post! You got ’em! Super annoying nung mga post na ginagawa nila! Kaya ang daming pabebe eh, lol.

• Reply Helga July 30, 2015 at 10:32 am

Hahaha. Thanks for reading and finally commenting, Deann! :)

• Reply Jean July 28, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Oh, Helga! I love you (and your blog). This post is so on point, thanks for speaking on our behalf. My favorite line from this post would be: “Talk to me about the important stuff. Speak from experience.” That’s it. If only they talk more about life, based from experience, i’d be more interested and they’d be more helpful.

P.S. Count me in on the list of people who are trying so hard to curate their instagram feed… but to no avail. I’m about to give up tbh haha

P.P.S. I am still using your blogging guide – – so useful! <3

• Reply Helga July 30, 2015 at 10:44 am

Thank you so much, Jean!

I still try to curate my Instagram but I don’t try too hard anymore??? Haha, IDK I HATE MYSELF SOMETIMES.

• Reply kenna July 28, 2015 at 9:40 pm

HAHAHA Love this!

• Reply Helga July 30, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Thanks, Kenna! :)

• Reply Jacklynne July 28, 2015 at 9:48 pm

I AM LAUGHING SO MUCH! I have friends who are lifestyle bloggers and I always tell them to come up with something their audience can relate and not just because of views! Don’t you also just hate it when these born rich kids (not my friends) keep on writing blogs on how to travel the world at your 20s hahahahah U R A JOKE.

Anyway, the How To Take Care of Yor Vagina article seems fun and I might do it.

• Reply Helga July 30, 2015 at 1:35 pm

How to Travel the World in Your 20s:
      Have money.

• Reply Martha July 31, 2015 at 4:29 am

How To Travel In Your 20’s:

Find a sponsoring resort or airline.

• Reply Robin Faigmane July 28, 2015 at 9:52 pm

SO ON POINT!!! Fave blog entry of all time!

• Reply Helga July 30, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Thanks so much, Robin! :)

• Reply Jean July 28, 2015 at 10:28 pm

• Reply Helga July 30, 2015 at 3:51 pm

IT IS TRUE!!!

• Reply Carina July 28, 2015 at 10:44 pm

I LAV U <3

• Reply Helga July 30, 2015 at 3:52 pm

LAV U 2 <3

• Reply Angel July 28, 2015 at 10:55 pm

How To Adult. I’d definitely read that. Bookmark it. Print it even. God knows I need that in my life LOL

• Reply Helga July 30, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Don’t we all!!!

• Reply Raisa July 28, 2015 at 11:10 pm

“How to Live Simply” – Buy less and place more value in your relationships. WOW OKAY this is brand new information. Of all the lifestyle bloggers, I think “minimalist” ones are the worst haha. I’m so glad your financially stable ass is happier not being tied down to things.

• Reply Helga July 30, 2015 at 4:36 pm

HAHAHAHA. I also hate it when people say “Collect moments, not things.” EH I WANT THINGS, TOO???

• Reply M July 28, 2015 at 11:11 pm

How to Stylishly Obtain Government IDs WAT

• Reply Helga July 30, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Gusto ko yan

• Reply Ziba July 29, 2015 at 12:10 am

This is DA BEST.

• Reply Helga July 30, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Thanks, Ziba!

• Reply Audrey July 29, 2015 at 12:15 am

DAMN GURL, PREACH EEEET!!! I feel your sentiments about these “Lifestyle Bloggers”. Paulit-ulit nalang mga nakikita ko sa kanila. Hayyyyy.. buhay. This is why I never stopped following you (your blog on tumblr before) since I was in high school. haha <3

• Reply Helga July 30, 2015 at 6:05 pm

omg thanks for sticking around hahahaha!

• Reply Bae Milanes July 29, 2015 at 12:41 am

Thank heavens you wrote this. Amidst people killing one another because of shallow reasons, government corrupting us every day, ~bloggers~ that do not know the importance of a clean site and dont know how much it hurts the eyes cos of their page’s 2000’s look, (pet peeve), the world nees more of this. They can say whatever they want – how we should dress up, flirt with guys, score the perfect eyeshadow, have the musthave coffee mug, and other random useless shit – at the end of the day, it doesnt have any bearing. It doesnt have soul, substance, and lacks importance. Life is so much more than that. We can’t copy the perfect life cos theres no such thing. And pictures are deceiving, thats why even the ugly becomes beautiful. And it only shows us what they want us, or what we want to see, not what is essential and what we really need to learn. Life shouldnt be that stressful cos of shallow articles, and to have us feel burdened cos we cant afford some things, or simply cos theyre not our priorities~ (daming sinabi). BUT thank you for this post! Bloggers like you should get more light, I swear.

• Reply Helga July 30, 2015 at 6:08 pm

Hahaha thanks, Bae! I see so many non-blogs that run dumb lists (um Cosmo and Stylebible) and I get SO ANGRY READING THEM.

• Reply Mara July 29, 2015 at 1:05 am

I have to keep everything I write online sanitized for work, sometimes it makes me cry (#truestory). But this entry says everything I couldn’t. Again, thank you!

• Reply Helga July 30, 2015 at 6:13 pm

I’m so glad that while I have to watch what I say online (can’t offend clients), I can still express myself freely! Thanks for reading, tita Mara! <3

• Reply Amy July 29, 2015 at 3:16 am

I fucking hate gala darling and her stupid ass radical self love bullshit. She preys on weak ass minded women to throw glitter in the air and blow out fucking candles to bring happiness in your life. How about telling them to get a damn job and run on the treadmill instead to be happy.

• Reply Helga July 30, 2015 at 6:15 pm

SAME.HERE. I can’t stand her childish, glittery, trust fund baby bullshit. She’s so out of touch with reality. I wish I could tap her the fuck out of this world.

• Reply Dee July 31, 2015 at 4:13 pm

So happyto have stumbled upon this blog entry, I wish the article would Go on for days because I will never tire of agreeing. haha! I’ve stopped reading blogs altogether since I discovered how bloggers raaaave about every single freebie they receive. Plus, I am quite fond of reading the comments section and lo and behold the comments on those blogs are probably 10x more inane.

first time Ive heard of Gala Darling so I Googled her. The first article was about Venus retrograde mercury shit. #gagme

• Reply Leidz B July 29, 2015 at 6:34 am

I enjoyed reading this so much. Please dont ever stop blogging. The Internet needs you

• Reply Helga July 30, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Aww, thanks, Leidz! :)

• Reply Manda | musicalpoem July 29, 2015 at 6:43 am

“But do we really need some privileged stranger to teach us the basics of living life?”

I mean… that pretty much sums it up. Personal blogs are my favorite kind of blog. I don’t mind a hybrid personal/lifestyle blog — that’s probably the category my blog falls into, honestly — but straight up lifestyle blogs, I have a hard time stomaching. Especially when they take the inevitable turn to being all ~inspirational~ because it gets BORING so fast.

• Reply Helga July 31, 2015 at 9:55 am

I love personal/personal lifestyle blogs, too! I fall under personal lifestyle, I think. I like learning about a person’s life and building relationships with them, even if it’s just online.

Thank you for reading, Manda! :)

• Reply Diana July 29, 2015 at 7:29 am

I found this blog post through my friend Cassie over at We’ve discussed this saaaame thing. It gets so boring. That being said, your list at the bottom of the post is everything I would want to read, and I can even see myself writing a few of those. Like, I want to blog now. I didn’t realize a side effect of seeing all these (white, privileged) lifestyle bloggers was that I started feeling like bloggers weren’t my crew to run with! I’m subscribing to your blog btw <3

• Reply Helga July 31, 2015 at 10:19 am

Thank you so much, Diana! :) I probably just keep wandering off into the “wrong” parts of the internet which is why I keep seeing those generic posts. There are still so many blogs that I find interesting and read regularly.

• Reply Kaith July 29, 2015 at 7:41 am

Spot on! LOL.

I used to think that maybe I shouldn’t write more about my kids or my personal life or parenthood or marriage because you know, nobody really cares. But I noticed that those personal posts receive more comments than my beauty reviews or whatever else I write about. Readers, I realized, would prefer to read more about you, and what you do, no matter how mundane it is, because that is the real world talking. Totoo naman kasi na raising kids is not a walk in Central Park, jusko. LOL.

I stopped reading some blogs because all they feature are sponsored posts. Ugh. A couple of sponsored posts every now and then, or even twice a week is fine. But gahd, araw-araw na lang? Buti di ka nata-traffic sa pagpunta sa lahat ng events teh. LOL.

• Reply Helga July 31, 2015 at 10:23 am

There will always be someone who will care about your (personal) life! Those are more relatable kasi than beauty reviews or sponsored posts.

Thanks, Kaith. <3

• Reply Jhecel July 29, 2015 at 8:34 am

I classify myself as a lifestyle and literary blogger. Now, I am thinking if I should change my editorial line-up. I admit I filter what I post online because I’m afraid to offend some people and there is this rule in my organization on posting on social media. And I am not happy.

Thank you for writing this Helga. Don’t stop blogging. :)

• Reply Helga July 31, 2015 at 10:34 am

It’s totally okay to want to not offend people! I, too, hold back and filter when it’s appropriate haha. It’s possible to have a personality while still filtering yourself naman. <3

Thank you, Jhecel! :)

• Reply jngdiaz July 29, 2015 at 10:22 am

i wuff u!

• Reply Helga July 31, 2015 at 10:35 am

I wuff u, too! <3

• Reply Gelleesh July 29, 2015 at 11:01 am

Finally someone said it! LOL Or it could just be that we’re not the target audience of these “lifestyle bloggers.” Content matters a lot to me (and after your comment in one of my posts, I realized that design also matters, in a way). I stopped following and visiting blogs with “blah” posts. Those that make me want to just scroll down the bottom page and get the reading (or browsing) over and done with. I want posts that encourages engagement to its readers and not to just leave you salivating over beautifully taken photos that pretty much says, “my life is perfect. Worship me!”

I guess, just like what you’ve said, I want something that can make me laugh or just even giggle while I’m reading it at work, something I can relate to, something that tells real story… But this is just me. Again, it could be just because we’re not the target audience anyway. :P

• Reply Helga July 31, 2015 at 11:14 am

True, hindi nga tayo ang target audience! Mga teenagers siguro? IDK IDK haha.

One of the blogs I like to read is because she has GORGEOUS photos and a (seemingly) GORGEOUS life but she also writes writes. That’s the kind of balance I want to achieve!

• Reply Dani July 29, 2015 at 12:18 pm

HAHAHA. I have to admit I was a little offended with the headline since I consider myself a “personal/lifestyle” blogger. Mostly because I don’t have a niche and there’s a bit of everything in my blog, only different in a such a way that I’d rather share reviews and special moments than parading as an “authority” on anything. (Defensive lang hahaha.)

But this is so true! I don’t even open Bloglovin anymore. If I follow some of these blogs, I probably just keep them around as visual pegs.

• Reply Helga August 3, 2015 at 5:13 pm

I consider myself a personal/lifestyle blog, too! And I think reviews, thoughts, and sharing things based on experience are useful. :)

• Reply Joyce July 29, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Hi Helga! I can relate with Jhanz. This post made me realise a lot of things. Haha I even checked my blog if i’m really one of those ‘lifestyle bloggers’ pero ewan, hindi sguro. I also realised that i should be more creative with my blogposts. Next time inshaallah.

• Reply Helga August 3, 2015 at 5:17 pm

I think exercising creativity is the funnest part of blogging! :)

• Reply Clarisse July 29, 2015 at 3:43 pm

I literally just saw a blog post called “How to Grow Your Hair” I don’t-??????

• Reply Helga August 3, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Was this about the inversion method???

• Reply Clarisse August 4, 2015 at 1:08 pm

More like along the lines of “eat healthy, drink lots of water, get sleep”. Nothing about the inversion method. :| =)))

• Reply Bianca July 29, 2015 at 4:02 pm

I super loved this post! The reason why I’ve been a reader of your blog since 2010 is because you’re always so true about yourself and what you post on the internet <3 <3 <3

• Reply Helga August 3, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Thank you so much, Bianca! :)

• Reply Lou Castaneda July 29, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Can I just hug you now? I’m seriously feeling culpable with all of these words I am reading in this post, but it’s definitely the truth. So precise! lav u

• Reply Helga August 3, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Thank you, Lou! <3

• Reply Erin July 29, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Pota, idol ka talaga Helga. Da best yung suggested topics mo (lalo na yung singil utang article) simulan mo na teh girl, dami naming nag aabang ????

• Reply Helga August 3, 2015 at 5:20 pm

HAHAHAHAHA. SUBUKAN KO pero I will crowdsource it kasi sa totoo lang, di ako nagpapa-utang!!! (Kasi walang ipapa-utang.)

• Reply Aneth July 29, 2015 at 9:30 pm

• Reply Helga August 3, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Thank you, Aneth!!! <3

• Reply Laura July 30, 2015 at 7:24 am

I would like a “The Lazy Girl’s Guide to Success” post to happen. Seriously.

I don’t even read those blogs, I mainly follow review blogs on books, skincare products, and apps/software for ideas on whether or not it might be worth using.

I feel like they are telling you how to live your life. Like my idea of a girls night out is playing some video games, watching movies, and throwing popcorn at each other.

• Reply Helga August 3, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Or blogs that exist solely to earn money or invites to events so all they have are fluff pieces like “best dresses of 2015” or “this season’s must-haves.” UGH! Chances are, they’ll never even buy those must-haves or see those dresses IRL.

• Reply Laura August 4, 2015 at 1:00 am

I see that in makeup all the time and I’m like… have you even tried it? Have you seen the reviews? Cause the reviews are trashing it.

• Reply Alex July 30, 2015 at 8:13 am

I used to be a features editor for a lifestyle e-zine and the EIC and I would often scratch our heads when we find that the most number of hits would go to articles that are *almost* like these. We often assumed that people knew these basics already but apparently not. xD

• Reply Helga August 3, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Grabeee or maybe they click expecting something new tapos wala rin pala.

• Reply Corinth July 30, 2015 at 11:05 am

• Reply Alyssa Panghulan July 30, 2015 at 11:14 am

WOW! Just wow! This has got to be the best post I’ve read this week. Best part for me? —
    “REAL TALK, THOUGH: It’s insulting. Why would you treat your audience that way?” FTW! :)))) This should be featured in a magazine or something. ;)

• Reply Samantha Denise July 30, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Thank heavens for straightforward people in the internet! Some blogs give standards to people talaga and end up having readers who would feel inferior of themselves because they can’t live a fancy life (some) lifestyle bloggers have. This is disconnected to lifestyle blogging but I cringe when I see EliteDaily/ThoughCatalog posts like “10 REASONS WHY A GIRL WHO WEARS A RED LIPSTICK IS A BETTER LOVER/GOOD IN BED” and reasons are superficial and can be common to girls who wear a purple lipstick. Thank you Helga for posting this!! This is witty and funny but surprisingly true!!

• Reply Yza Marzan July 30, 2015 at 3:56 pm

“Utang Dito, Utang Doon: How I Got My Money Back from My BFFs” – SOMEONE PLEASE WRITE THIS! I need tips. Lemme just expand this to “Utang Dito, Utang Doon: How I Got My Money Back from My BFFs without hurting their feelings” or “Utang Dito, Utang Doon: How I Got My Money Back from My BFFs without me asking it first” and I will be forever grateful. Haha! I have the same sentiments as this post. Honestly, those washed out minimalist IG feeds lack originality and personality. I tried to make my Instagram look like that at some point but eventually gave up. There is nothing wrong with being artsy and all but I want to look at my feed someday and see my personality shine through rather than a well-curated fake version of me.

• Reply Salvé Dalmacio July 30, 2015 at 6:09 pm

P.S. The topics mentioned at the end of this post are H I L A R I O U S. Seriously. Made my day! <3

• Reply Alex July 30, 2015 at 11:57 pm

If I may, you’re more specifically referring to “BuzzFeed” type blogs that just make shite lists up and clickbait articles for views. “You’ll never believe what happened next” type stuff included.

Problem is however idiotic the articles are, you know someone will share it. That’s what viral / clickbait blogs are aiming for – they don’t actually want to teach you anything.

• Reply Erika July 31, 2015 at 12:04 am

This post makes me so happy. So on point! I agree with everyone – the internet needs more of your honesty!

• Reply Sarah July 31, 2015 at 12:04 am

I think people are just so used to being spoonfed now. That, or they just want someone else to agree with them. (Ever fallen victim to clicking those N Things Only __(insert kind of person here)__ Will Understand listicles? I hate them. WITH PASSION.)

That list of suggestions at the end is perfect. I’m sure people have written about those topics, but they need to be presented in a way that lazy people will read them. Y’know, like how lifestyle bloggers write. Someone should jump on that.

• Reply Ed Uy July 31, 2015 at 12:08 am

I honestly felt ashamed after reading your post.
    parang i want to do a total overhaul of my blog…
    But i do agree with you on a lot of stuff.
    And il be waiting for your tips on how to get your money back from a former friend!

• Reply Helga July 31, 2015 at 10:44 am

Hi, Ed! Please don’t feel ashamed of your blog!!! If you find joy in what you do, keep doing it. :)

• Reply Mhel / blankPixels July 31, 2015 at 12:13 am

So ON POINT! I was nodding almost the entire time I was reading this. Thank you! The topics at the end inspired me to write something. Hahaha :D

P.S. I just followed you everywhere. I’m thankful a fellow blogger shared this post and I saw it at the perfect time. :)

• Reply Helga July 31, 2015 at 11:07 am

Thanks, Mhel! Please do write about those topics haha, I’d love to read your take on them!

• Reply Crystal July 31, 2015 at 2:48 am

Haha, this is so true! I actually want to write about vagina. There’s this soap I swear by!

• Reply astrid July 31, 2015 at 9:23 am

what is this soap?! hahaha and someone should write about waxing stuff please.

• Reply Helga July 31, 2015 at 11:09 am

I wrote about getting my first Brazilian wax pero ang corny kasi walang pictures BUT WHO WOULD POST PHOTOS NAMAN hahahaha.

I recommend Strip Manila + this place in Galleria, the spa across Lay Bare. They use hot wax so it’s less painful!

• Reply Helga July 31, 2015 at 11:08 am

DO IT

• Reply Micamyx|Senyorita July 31, 2015 at 3:08 am

Love this! I prefer to read bloggers writing about their experiences or personal realizations than the generic ones. That “utang” article idea will be helpful lol

• Reply Helga July 31, 2015 at 11:10 am

Hi, Mica! <3 Same here. Mas bet ko yung personal and from experience because it's more relatable.

• Reply Charles Ravndal July 31, 2015 at 4:18 am

This is just hilarious and so true! How I take care of my vagina sounds like a hit! I told my husband while I was reading this that I should also write “How I take care of my imaginary vagina”. It’s nice to be blogging again and also visiting your blog as well. It’s been a while :)

• Reply Helga July 31, 2015 at 11:10 am

Charles!!! It’s been ages! YOU should write that article, that would be hilarious!

• Reply Charles Ravndal July 31, 2015 at 3:28 pm

I definitely will! Words are already forming in the crevices of my mind heheheheh.

• Reply superoxy007 July 31, 2015 at 7:23 am

+1, Just becuase you have the good taste of having the Good Omens book =)

• Reply Helga July 31, 2015 at 11:11 am

Hahaha, thank you!

• Reply Meikah Ybañez-Delid July 31, 2015 at 9:04 am

I hear you loud and clear, lol… I wish we could read more unique and really useful stuff online. And because of this, I often get the writer’s block! :-)

• Reply Helga August 3, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Blogger’s block sends me into a panic! Then I remind myself it isn’t a big deal and to ~relax~ haha.

• Reply Dang July 31, 2015 at 10:44 am

Hi Helga! It’s been a while since I’ve been here. But only because I honestly got tired of reading useless blogs. With gazillion photos of perfect people rubbing elbows with other perfect people. I can’t agree enough with you case. Cliché but content should be king. Always. When there’s nothing new, unique or compelling, there’s no point to promote or amplify. Produce crap and you promote crap. Thanks for your honesty. I still have hope because of content creators like you! :) Take care!

• Reply Helga August 4, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Hi Dang!

“Produce crap and you promote crap.” -> this is so true!!! I don’t understand the point of blogs that exist solely for crap content. It’s not engaging, so what do you get out of it? Event invites? Hits? Freebies? Those aren’t compelling enough reasons to blog!

• Reply Friday's 10 Happy Things // 1 - Wander WonderWander Wonder July 31, 2015 at 11:34 am

[…] blog post: Lifestyle Bloggers are Useless. Amen to this and boo to burned […]

• Reply Xyla July 31, 2015 at 11:54 am

True! True! Haha! I prefer reading travel or beauty blogs because I LEARN NEW THINGS or TIPS from them. I also dont get the point of “lifestyle blogging”. They earn for what, for a post without substance (not all tho)? Ang shallow na lang ba ng mga readers ngayon?

Anyway, maybe we’re reacting this way because we’re becoming “titas” too! Haha!!

• Reply Helga August 4, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Nasa LOLA territory na nga ako eh! Haha.

• Reply Karriebear July 31, 2015 at 1:23 pm

ako naman asar sa “How To Quit Your Job And Travel The World” OMFG importante ang PERA!!! HAHAHA

• Reply Helga August 4, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Ang sagot diyan ay: MARRY RICH.

• Reply Karriebear August 4, 2015 at 11:58 pm

Wala pa din tatalo sa TITE ko :)) (trabaho, ipon, travel, enjoy) ????

• Reply Karriebear August 5, 2015 at 12:01 am

iPhone emoji cannot accept here ah? Naging ???

• Reply Grace | Of Coffee and Crackers July 31, 2015 at 1:30 pm

True! Hahaha I really wonder why some bloggers reacted negatively..

• Reply Helga August 4, 2015 at 6:26 pm

They didn’t read or maybe they’re just stupid!

• Reply Badet July 31, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Wala pa akong asawa HELGA ka na! Ok, bye I need to write how to use Downy :p

• Reply Helga August 4, 2015 at 6:33 pm

• Reply CJ July 31, 2015 at 2:16 pm

I. DIED. HAHAH. Holy shit I hope I don’t sound like this! Then again I’m not pretty, white, thin and rich enough to be a “legit” lifestyle blogger.

• Reply Helga August 4, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Hahaha don’t worry, I didn’t have local bloggers in mind when I wrote this!

• Reply Claudine Ann July 31, 2015 at 2:29 pm

I love this! Been reading your posts and never had the guts to comment! (LOL) but I really really love your blog! <3

• Reply Helga August 4, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Thank you so much, Claudine! <3

• Reply Annika July 31, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Your post made me think. Hard. I always considered myself as a lifestyle blogger. But what I write is entirely different from what you said a lifestyle blogger is in your eyes. I would never tackle topics like the ones that degrade woman or their intelligence. Content is key, after all. My main goals are 1. body positivity 2. lifestyle choices that help the environment and protect animals 3. helpful thoughts and tips about growing up, changing your life etc. And on the other hand, yes, I take pictures like the ones above, beside other ones. My Instagram is full of my cat and my dog and pretty clothes, but also great products I recommend, tags of worthwile causes one should know about and positive thoughts for everyone. So – maybe there are lifestyle blogger and there are lifestyle blogger, right? I understand what you want to say but I still would consider myself a lifestyle blogger, but all of the above I wrote about is lifestyle, too.

Annika from

• Reply Helga August 4, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Hi Annika! The topics of your lifestyle blog sound like something I’d be into! They’re interesting and thought-provoking and not a mere round-up of this month’s must-haves or the top 3 beddings of the year or generic how-tos. :)

• Reply Kaan July 31, 2015 at 4:58 pm

I’m such a huge fan of your blog! It’s kind of hilarious. Looking forward to more “real talk” posts! Totally agree with everything you said!

• Reply Helga August 4, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Thank you, Kaan! :)

• Reply Bae Milanes July 31, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Once I noticed, or more so, when Kuya made me realize (YES IM YOUNGER I JUST LOOK OLDER COS HE’S SO PA-HIP) that Cosmo is feeding me the same shit every year and if you’re keen enough, you will notice that they ACTUALLY REUSE ARTICLES, I completely stopped collecting the magazine. Sobrang nakakalason ng utak, sa totoo lang. Sobrang shallow nung articles!!!! Might as well spend the money on food. Lol. Yan tayo eh.

• Reply Helga August 4, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Yeah, I stopped collecting beauty mags a while back. HATE them!

• Reply Fatima July 31, 2015 at 10:16 pm

At first, I didn’t know what to think because me and my best friend have a “Life and Thought” blog but I found that you’re 100% right. We don’t do posts like that, just stuff that we feel like people would want to read and this post was definitely something that I loved reading! I’m in love with your blog after reading this so thank you! x

• Reply Helga August 4, 2015 at 7:43 pm

Thank you, Fatima! Will definitely check out your blog. :)

• Reply Gen July 31, 2015 at 10:56 pm

This made my week. <3

• Reply Helga August 4, 2015 at 7:43 pm

Thanks, Gen! :)

• Reply Anna July 31, 2015 at 11:29 pm

• Reply Helga August 4, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Thanks for reading, Anna! :)

• Reply Anna August 1, 2015 at 12:12 am

I have to comment twice. Haha. Thanks for writing this <3. Napapa "ay, oo nga noh, thanks!" naman ako sayo! Hahaha. Pero di nga, I've been feeling the same thing too everytime I check my Bloglovin. The people behind these articles are making us dumb instead of helping us cultivate a critical mind. True enough, they are doing a disservice for the humankind. Chos. Haha. I guess it's time to do some unfollowing. At the end of the day, nasa atin naman yung choice what to read and what not to read for the Internet is such a vast place. Haaay, highlight ng linggo ko ang pagka diskubre ko ng blog mo! Salamat. Rock on. :-)

• Reply Helga August 4, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Hahaha, thank you Anna! Nakakainis talaga, today may nakita akong 10 Ways to Wear a Button-Down Skirt and another How to Spend Your Sunday post. Grabe na.

• Reply Friday’s 10 Happy Things // 15 | helgagabrielleweber August 1, 2015 at 2:20 am

[…] special (maybe 2.5 stars out of 5) until a group of bloggers went butthurt and ballistic over my previous post. I now give this work week 4 […]

• Reply April August 1, 2015 at 6:48 am

HAHAHA I loved Gala but grew tired of her eternal optimism fast, parang bawal ang bad and sad days which is not normal I think!

And yep, I’ve started filtering “(Mommy) Lifestyle Bloggers” na din especially on Instagram kase how the heck do some of them keep a tidy house and laging picture ready ang mga bata??? Weird na din how their feed start to look the same after a while.

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Gala Darling seems so fake to me IDK WHY!!!

• Reply Jordan August 1, 2015 at 7:30 am

Bless you for writing this post! I have felt this way for such a long time and plan to write a similar post in relation to fashion/style bloggers. I try to keep it real and provide useful information that my readers can benefit from but I find it so frustrated when I go to other fashion blogs who don’t share ANYTHING about fashion or style beyond “I love pink so I wore it” or even no text at all. I’m glad I found this post and really appreciate that you shared some realness! As bloggers if we are going to take the time to write something we should make sure that it’s beneficial to those taking time out of their busy lives to read it.

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Thanks, Jordan! The lack of substance is so frustrating. Pretty photos are nice, but it’d be great if there was a story to accompany them!

Can’t wait to read your own take on the topic! :)

• Reply Didi August 1, 2015 at 8:12 am

You are right!!

It’s too perfect – humble brag nga kumbaga.. Hindi na totoong buhay! Hahaha… :)

You hit the head on the nail. :) Este the nail on the head.

Love, Didi

• Reply Helga August 13, 2015 at 10:02 am

Thanks, Didi! <3

• Reply isabeau jand August 1, 2015 at 8:14 am

You strike me as a crazy cat woman! I heart you!

• Reply Helga August 13, 2015 at 10:02 am

I AM!!!!

• Reply Pia August 1, 2015 at 10:36 am

So much love for your blog and your wit and sarcasm!! This post is the B O M B. Sometimes it feels as though those lifestyle bloggers popped up just so they can make me/us feel inadequate about the life we’re living. HAHAHA omg pls who gets to fly in and out of the country on a monthly basis?? I had to cut off half of my weekly allowance just so I can save up to go abroad (i.e. an Asian country, preferably Hong Kong or some country where the airfare and accommodations are cheap!). I think a lot of us got your point naman, sana the butthurt people would get it too.

• Reply Helga August 13, 2015 at 10:07 am

The butthurt people didn’t read!

I think a lot of bloggers save up their photos from a trip and then stagger posting. I do that haha. I still have photos from my Singapore trip last January that I haven’t even posted.

Thank you! <3

• Reply Rachelle Ramilo August 1, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Your writing is really entertaining. I also think lifestyle bloggers should offer more useful posts to their readers. Keep it up! ;)

• Reply Helga August 13, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Thank you, Rachelle! :)

• Reply Kristine August 1, 2015 at 11:48 pm

I enjoyed this entry, and also, I bet you got some butthurt tweets about this post, eh? Nonetheless, this is why I stay away from lifestyle bullshit blogs now. Generic, unrealistic crap.

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Not tweets, but some guy put me on blast on his Facebook and a bunch of butthurt people had a feast hahahahahaha.

• Reply Kate August 2, 2015 at 12:15 am

Medyo the reason why I felt pressured blogging. That I have no enough content.. Blahblah. Then I realized, mehhh, it’s my blog, I should do anything with it.

Recently I just learned that they call themselves lifestyle bloggers. Why back in the day, everyone was just a ‘blogger’.

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 1:17 pm

I think it’s good to have a niche in blogging for streamlined content but it’s also important to churn out quality content! But yeah, it always feels iffy when people ask me what kind of blogger I am haha.

• Reply Mika August 2, 2015 at 1:20 am

This is my first time commenting on you blog (I’ve been a silent reader for quite some time now) and, I must say, this post just made my morning!

I’m thinking of creating a blog soon and, after reading this post, I now know that I should steer clear from writing those generic lifestyle posts (if there’s such a term, lol). Thank you for this!

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Thank you for commenting, Mika! Can’t wait to see your blog. :)

• Reply Nickle Love August 2, 2015 at 9:00 pm

ITO NA LANG ANG BLOG NA BINABASA KO NG MADALAS. Because your posts are snarky and they’re useful IMO. I’m like a Helga fan. And look o, a lot of people “came out” of their hiding to let you know they agree with you. I miss the old blogging days where we share stuff that happened to us personally. Ngayon puro niche na lang. Bitter ako kasi I don’t really have one. Even my book blog is dying/dead. LOL. I’m so glad you came to my blog 8 or 9 years ago and asked for a link exchange. I will not forget that’s how I “met” you. I was thinking pa, sino kaya tong Helga na to? Parang ang arte. Hahahaha

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 1:19 pm

I don’t have a niche din pero gets ko why it’s needed! I wish I could streamline my content into 2 categories pero ang hirap eh!

• Reply Kah August 3, 2015 at 11:20 am

WORD! :) I admire you so much because of you and your blog’s personality! :) Life peg! :)

• Reply Helga August 4, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Aww, thanks, Kah! <3

• Reply Erica August 4, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Lololol this is so honest and completely true. And can we just talk about how we know for sure those pretty stacked books weren’t even read once. ????

• Reply Helga August 4, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Hahaha that’s my stack of books aka my reading list! I just finished We Were Liars and I’m about to start Anatomy of a Misfit. :)

Thanks, Erica!

• Reply Erica August 4, 2015 at 7:59 pm

No not your books, I was referring to the “lifestyle bloggers” and YouTube “gurus” that’s posts pictures like that! Haha my bad. Like if they actually read the books they should be offering more context and substance to their blog. But then again most of the books they invest on are obviously based on how photogenic it would look. Maybe I’m old and bitter too.

• Reply Helga August 4, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Hahahaha I was going to edit my comment and mention this one blogger who posts her annual summer reading list and this one book has been there for 2 summers na (not in a row). It’s not even a hard book to read!!!

• Reply Paula August 6, 2015 at 10:05 am

Sobrang nakakarelate! Kasi i’ve been there too. Nainggit. Nainis bat ang kikinis nila, bat lagi silang on vacation mode and all that jazz. Haha but now, surprisingly, i care more of what i want instead of what i am trying so hard to copy. Mas masaya ako, mas free and almost genuinely happy. Onting push pa. Haha

Thanks for this Helga! And all the humor. ;) x

• Reply Helga August 14, 2015 at 10:58 am

Thanks for reading, Paula!!!

Same here– I used to feel bad that my life wasn’t as picture-perfect as theirs and then I felt bad for feeling bad and then I realized that it’s ok (pats self on head) haha.

• Reply Elle Strange August 10, 2015 at 3:00 am

This adds to the unending reasons why I love you, your blog and everything about you. I really feel like I look up to this sensible person that cares about life and actually living. Reading your posts makes me feel like reading my own mind some times but the other “some” you make me feel like I have been missing quite a few things for myself, so I try them too. YOU AFFECT ME THAT WAY. :)

• Reply Helga August 14, 2015 at 10:58 am

Ohmygosh, that’s the nicest thing I’ve read all week!!! Thank you so much, Elle. <3

• Reply Shayne August 11, 2015 at 5:25 am

I’ve also really had enough of “lifestyle” blogs. I’ve given up on more than half of my feed, but I’m just too lazy to go through them and unfollow right now. Idk why I even did that to myself in the first place, so much BS on my feed. I do get annoyed at seeing tips recycled over and over again, unintentionally I hope, but we know how the blogosphere works. Once something pops, everyone wants in! I can’t do that to myself, much less the people who even care to see what I’m about.

Anyways, I missed a whole month of blogging and I’m sort of catching up. I’m so glad I had this to come back to!

P.S.: I lost it at “Utang Dito, Utang Doon.”

• Reply Helga August 14, 2015 at 11:04 am

Hahaha hi Shayne!!! I’m glad people share my same discontent with the same old unoriginal garbage being recycled online. And then are the… IDK HOW TO CALL THEM but I was on Pinterest yesterday and a pin caught my eye– LAZIEST WEIGHT TO LOSE WEIGHT. So I clicked and read and then browsed through the comments and the person who posted it never even tried it??? Like whaaaaaaa. Hahaha.

• Reply Denise August 12, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Reading this was actually refreshing! It piqued by interest a bold statement to say. Especially nowadays that majority of the successful blogs are lifestyle bloggers. And I just keep nodding to everything you say. It’s nice when I stumble to blog like yours with a really helpful content..and focus more on writing their thoughts/sharing experiences rather than making us feel of what we’re missing out. :D

• Reply Kel Fabie August 12, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Never change, idol Helgs. Never change.

• Reply Tim August 13, 2015 at 1:25 am

Well said, well said! Lifestyle bloggers are overrated. And someone needs to prick their over-inflated ego balloons.

• Reply Mina August 13, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Hi Helga! I don’t know why I am reading this only now, but I’m still glad I did. Haha! I feel you. Most of the time, the jealousy of how these lifestyle bloggers make me feel makes me hate my life, like how can I not have a perfect life like theirs? I want to have that pristine white bed sheet, goddamn it, but my brother’s pets and the dust from where I live would not permit it; I want to go to places and just travel to the countries they’ve been to, I mean even their boarding time shots are so fucking unbelievable, why are my waiting to board the plane is so fucking excruciating? I’m sorry for all the curses. Haha. Sometimes, I want to message them and just ask where to find the map to their wonderland? I recently unfollowed all the lifestyle bloggers on my feed because it’s eating me and I’m a little lost because adulting is just sooo hard haha, so it’s really for my own good.That’s the least I could do because even if I wanted to quit social media for a while, I really can’t. How does one do that when your job is 70% social media-related? So fuck me. Now, I’m blabbing, I’m sorry! I really feel like I want to be your friend now. Hahaha! What I only want to say is that I love this post!

P.S. Those listicles are so annoying. Tipong Marcelo Santos III translated in English lang, kainis! Hello, common sense! I wish someone would write a how to guide on surviving on your twenties na may sense ples.

• Reply Catiebug August 14, 2015 at 2:22 am

I have no problem with these kinds of bloggers. If that’s what interests them more power to them. If they have followers, obviously people enjoy what their posting and like what they have to say. I don’t read many of these kinds of post, but I do enjoy them if they’re something I’m interested in. I think you have to remember that they things they say is just their opinion. How one may style shorts will be different to how someone else does. And that’s okay! I think it’s awesome to see different ways to if you’re really into fashion. I do agree though that if you’re just going to make it generic and anyone can come up with it, then it can be boring. I want something that thinks outside the box and gives me new ideas. I’m very picky with blogs I follow. If they don’t interest me, then I just don’t read them.

• Reply Marielle August 14, 2015 at 12:09 pm

I try to take those with a grain of salt. Unless na lang floor-to-ceiling windows ang lahat ng bahay dyan, the lighting is likely to have been set-up anyway. There are probably studio lights in the background, and the messy bed probably took a full hour to get to that just-right messy level. For some reason, people buy into that and it’s hard to compete. You have what you have, so you try to work with that. Any day of the week, I’d still rather read a blog that honestly reviews products (and disses them, if need be) , than censors itself to cater to brands and the promise of sponsorship. It’s exhausting to read 20 blogs that are all parroting each other, so most of the time I end up not reading at all.

• Reply Theressa August 14, 2015 at 10:22 pm

Wahaha! This made me laugh and smile.. and it also made me re-think my blog!! Thanks for reminding people to keep it smart and real. Following you!

• Reply Julia August 19, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Real talk: I’ve decided that I’m going to be you when I grow up.

• Reply How I Take Care Of My Imaginary Vagina | Charles Ravndal August 21, 2015 at 2:24 am

[…] was reading this fabulous blog entry called Lifestyle Bloggers Are Useless by the lovely Helga when my muse suddenly slapped me with an […]

• Reply Alexa Gabriel August 21, 2015 at 4:28 am

to be perfectly honest.. you are GOALS. <3

• Reply Alex Carpio August 21, 2015 at 3:59 pm

They don’t own pets because their sheets are forever white, pristine, and fluffy. — THIS. Haha!

Now, I know why I spend more time reading your posts.

I was never really fascinated with lifestyle bloggers. Sure, I admire a few here and there… I even attempted to copy some of them, but blah! It’s just not me… or maybe I’m old and cranky too. Haha!

Comments in this post are so right. The internet needs more of this. If not for posts like this, I would probably still be blogging for the sake of copying someone and not for myself.

• Reply Domenica August 21, 2015 at 8:35 pm

This is amazing! I actually feel like writing a satirical article to the idea of How I Won My Friendship Break-Up. I do not follow lifestyle bloggers, I maybe have one and her posts really annoy me, I just keep forgetting to take her out of my feed. Personally I love travel blogs, and even feel like give the same feeling as some lifestyle bloggers. I feel like people do it to make a quick buck, and I feel like society is just getting dumber sometimes. How do people find those types of articles entertaining, I will never understand. However if every blogger had a unique fashion sense in how to style shorts, it would be worthwhile, but to see literally the same thing everywhere is pointless to me. Keep writing posts like this, we need someone to smack us back to reality.

• Reply Duality: the basics of dual citizenship | Joreen Audrey August 25, 2015 at 12:44 am

[…] interesting (but not unique) is my dual citizenship. I recently read a blog post called “Lifestyle bloggers are useless,” which is the perfect example of why I become so lazy with writing. However, […]

• Reply JeniG August 30, 2015 at 7:49 am

Very on point. I love the “The Lazy Girl’s Guide to Success,” panalo lol. I feel like I also need to do a blog overhaul (ya, Ed, I feel you!). You’re such a gifted writer! Keep it up. I’m a new fan:)

• Reply Janine August 31, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Oh, I love you! I was nodding along through this whole post. Well, except for the swipe at Gala Darling, because I’m biased and la la love her, and because I know that by “buy a diamond” she meant, like, a little crystal like a geode not like a bling bling diamond ring. :D

But yeah, I definitely prefer your list of articles to the frou frou white girl bullshit. (YES I am allowed to hate on white girls, I am mixed dammit. Lightly mixed but mixed.) FWIW I will read basically anything about vaginas, not sure why that is.

I always try to keep that in mind too – the idea of contributing something of value, giving people something they NEED. It is a tricky balance because I love the aesthetic of lifestyle blogs but the substance of less visually attractive blogs, I guess?

• Reply Jessica September 5, 2015 at 11:47 am

Words cannot even begin to describe how much I love this post! I’m constantly considering closing my blog and moving to Antarctica when I come across one of these sites. They claim that they want to help you live a better life and yet they produce an image of a life that you can only have if you clone yourself and make them do all of the work. And I’ve completely lost my train of thought, but again, I really do love this post.

• Reply Becka September 19, 2015 at 1:36 am

I found this post because I am determined to start my blog this week, and was doing some research to review existing blogs for inspiration. Somewhere around the 10th ‘About’, I started to think “these are all cute, but why is everyone written by a 25 year old blonde?”. Actually, it was the ‘eek I’m about to turn 25!’ posts that continued through browsing blogs 11-25 that got me to google “lifestyle blogs that are not written by young white women”. Now, full disclosure, I’m white, and I’m a woman, but still … anyway, so happy to have found you!

• Reply Vallin SFAS September 23, 2015 at 11:09 am

I’m an intelligent, educated, and LITERATE (never ass*u*me) Carthaginian/Cherokee of “Camelot” vintage (Jack and Jackie were my neighbors). Apparently my demographic is warped because 98% of everything we wrote was directly for adults. We had virtually no literary peer-group ratings that mattered until we were well into our junior years in college.

So I agree with your yelling at your computer; I’m sometimes hoarse from doing so. And if you think millennial white girls are insufferable, try reading the scientifically Darwinian based tripe from the “manosphere”.

• Reply Anj September 24, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Dude, I relate to this on a spiritual level. As much as I love looking at their photos, the shit they write are too mundane-bordering stupid. The internet needs more brain stimulants and /or more usefull shit imo.

• Reply mac September 28, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Wow I love this post bec i get ya. Also I LOVE IT when your posts are soooo real like this one. I think that’s when the bloggers are at their best, when they don’t give a shit about what I or anybody else thinks :) That’s how this all started anyway diba?

Anyway, thank you for being you, it’s so entertaining :)

• Reply mars September 30, 2015 at 3:05 pm

No offense, but I used to think you’re one of them, lifestyle bloggers, because your blogs all look the same to me, with the layout, photos, content and all! I’ve only been here once or twice, so I shouldn’t be quick to judge!

To be fair though, I really think that you’re funnier and a lot smarter than the rest of them and thank you for acknowledging your readers as smart because that really means a lot to most if not all of your readers here!

So congrats for starting a revolution! I can see how so many people agree to what you just said/wrote and how most can relate! Your comments section is out of control! :P

We need more of you in this world! Looking forward to more helpful and smarter content from you! Thank youuu! :)

• Reply Kim October 9, 2015 at 4:34 am

Hi! I just randomly came across your blog and I’m glad I did. This is on point, in every way- Love this post! I used to frequent a lot of lifestyle blogs, but then I saw through all the pretty pictures and realized how stupid a lot of them are, hah.

• Reply Mac Valdez October 16, 2015 at 2:26 pm

THIS IS HILARIOUS! sobrang nakakatawa..haha
    I was thinking of the same thing about those posts about “How to”
    I am glad I found your blog, I was searching things I can post on my lifestyle blog thinking of posting another old How To but after reading your blog, I realized the true essence of blogging, That we (bloggers) should inform people with things that can enhance their life and not just teach them how to wash your face with soap. :D
    More Power. God Bless.
    Laughtrip :D

• Reply Bigwas November 10, 2015 at 1:35 am

I read some lifestyle blogs which I found to love. It offers real travel tips and where to find good bargain buys. Real life experiences these lifestyle bloggers means a lot. You will learn something from there posts.

• Reply Rejoyce Canaynay March 9, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Now you make me realize how I am sort of obsessed with lifestyle bloggers and how everything you said is true. I guess this post is an eye opener in some ways that people now a days should not rely on people in the internet and what they do. Like they said, filtered naman ang lahat ng nakikita on social media.

• Reply Ana March 30, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Coolest piece I’ve read in weeks. I follow a number of blogs because I like connecting to authenticity, but my WP Reader often leaves me disappointed and sometimes angry. Life is busy, speedy and sometimes bitchy, so to-the-point, worked-through and authentic posts are the cookie that goes with the coffee for me. Unfortunately, not only lifestyle bloggers put a lot of crap out there, which we have to rummage through to finally stumble across something of value, but mostly bloggers from all fields. Well, maybe less from fictions; usually those who write fiction sacrifice time and sweat, and they quit pretty quickly if they suck.
    I really connected to this article. Maybe I’m just angry mself (I have some rants of my own), so it all resonated with me. I took this post with coffee and good humour, and I’m looking forward to more like it. Cheers :)

• Reply Abby Nucup April 6, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Quite funny, this blog post is already old (way back last year) and I just accidentally stumbled in this post while doing some random Google searching. This is the first time reading something realistic about real-life blogs. This post sure made my day.

Add me to one of your fans, and oh, I love your hair dye.

• Reply Duane Bacon July 14, 2016 at 12:01 pm

I am so in love with your mind right now :)

• Reply nikcoffee October 22, 2016 at 8:46 pm

We were all made to believe that what they post are so influential and so relevant that we have to follow them. That they set the record for things.
    I took points while reading through this; I’ve been in the blog-o-sphere for years (though I haven’t been as active as I was during my teenage years and trying to get back to it now – ugh where have the years gone by), I posted what I felt and what could help my readers. Maybe this was what they thought they were doing too until everything becomes too much.
    Thanks for this; I’ll keep my eye out on your next posts, or I have the time I’ll read through all the content of your site.
    Best of luck!