behind the scenes

August Goals

August Goals |

It’s been a pretty good year but the fact that 2015 ends in four months is putting me in a state of semi-panic. I’m asking myself: Have I done or achieved enough? Am I where I want to be? What else can I do? Why can’t I stop gaining weight???

I already have goals for the year but I want to make the most out of the remaining months. Enter: monthly goals. Nothing big, just small things that will hopefully make me feel like I have my shit together.

Here are my August goals:

Clean up my Pinterest

White girls are all over Pinterest but I’m not sure I should be, considering that usage in the Philippines is pretty low. Still, I’ve invested some time in it and the least I can do is try and make it work for me. So before August ends, I hope to have cleaned up and streamlined by boards (instead of starting over).

Make my first Buddha bowl

Also known as glory or bowls, Buddha bowls are basically hearty bowls filled with different combinations of greens, raw or roasted vegetables, starches, protein, nuts and seeds, and grains. They’re nourishing and are supposedly fast and easy to make. Recipes are all over Pinterest.

Buddha Bowl

They look SO good and I want to have one every night for dinner.

Drink more green tea

I got my annual physical exam results today and that stupid piece of paper says I’m overweight (based on BMI, which is bullshit). I’m not too bothered, but I could at least try not to be so unhealthy. I already cut out land meat from my life and I don’t see myself quitting sweets or beer, so my strategy is to add one healthy thing to my diet: green tea.

(I tried white tea and it tastes terrible???)

Read 3 books from my book stack

(Minus We Were Liars, which I finished last week.)

Reading list |

For August, I plan to read Rich Bitch, Anatomy of a Misfit, and Good Omens. I’m also putting myself on a book shopping ban until I get through this stack.

What are your goals for August? :)

Don’t forget: it’s Friday’s 10 Happy Things tomorrow!

• Reply Jaya August 6, 2015 at 4:26 pm

I love Pinterest so much!!! SO MUCH!!

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 12:36 pm

• Reply Alyssa Panghulan August 6, 2015 at 4:55 pm

I should probably start adding green tea to my diet too. Hmmm. And that Buddha bowl sounds interesting! Thanks for sharing a link to the recipes! :))

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 12:37 pm

You’re welcome!

• Reply Alissa August 6, 2015 at 8:51 pm

I used to be on Pinterest all the time but now I’m just using it if I needed to find things about blogging or a recipe or something specific. WIsh I can drink green tea too but I don’t really like it :/

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 12:38 pm

I think herbal tea is an acquired taste! I like green tea with lemon.

• Reply Charles Ravndal August 6, 2015 at 9:07 pm

My officemate just asked me if I use pinterest. I have an account, but I just don’t have time to use it lol! My husband and I are tea drinkers. I read that drinking like 6 cups of green tea a day increases your metabolism.

The Buddha bowls look really interesting . Right now we’re on a diet of high protein and low carbs being that I’m trying to get the ripped or shredded look. My brother inspired me to take this seriously since he got so effing ripped in just 3 months! And he’s not shy to show his body on FB and Instagram hahahaha!

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 12:38 pm

I tried to do slow-carb but WHITE RICE??????? Ugh hate this part of being Asian haha.

• Reply Pia August 6, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Can’t wait for your feedback on The Anatomy of a Misfit. The Buddha Bowls look good!

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 12:39 pm

I started reading it na!!!

• Reply Aye Laniton August 6, 2015 at 9:56 pm

I love drinking Lemon Green Tea in Gong Cha. Makes me feel good!

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Green tea with lemon is delicious nga!

• Reply Laura August 6, 2015 at 10:29 pm

I challenged myself to read 25 books this year on Goodreads and I still haven’t gotten past one book. Ooops. Well, I had been busy with graduating so, I think that is a good excuse. By the way, Good Omens is on my to-read list. Let me know how it is.

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 12:40 pm

You still have time!

• Reply John Steven August 7, 2015 at 1:10 am

Fun fact: I knowingly chose to make French Vanilla cappuccino over green tea this morning before coming online and seeing this.

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 12:48 pm

I had an iced French Vanilla latte the other day!

• Reply Bae Milanes August 7, 2015 at 10:11 am

Helga, green tea is really good for you, although I can’t say it tastes better than white tea (???) and I have no point of comparison since I don’t really drink hot tea, but I tried drinking green tea every morning. After 3 consecutive days, I felt lighter, and I was no longer bloated. Gentle reminder though, prepare those rolls of tissue because you’ll be peeing a lot. I actually found myself admiring my stomach because it looks and definitely feels flatter, AND NOT JUST IN THE MORNING. Hah! I also lost a couple of pounds but I’m pretty sure going to gym was also a factor. (If you’re planning to workout soon, HIIT is your best friend. Cardio, lift, cardio. You still burn calories after lifting so thats an A+). I’m not trying to sell myself or anything (cos it might sound like I am HAHA) but I see great potential in you. I already like your body as it is now, you’d be a bombshell if you starting toning up. Joey will be more gaga over you and he’ll stop teasing you about your /fat tummy/. But having said all that, kudos for choosing to live a healthier lifestyle! :D

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 12:52 pm

I have the 7-minute workout app! Ugh, I wish I still had money for a gym membership (I used to go to 360) or time for Insanity again. :(

I thiiiink I steeped my white tea for too long cos it was BITTER AS FUCK haha. Drinking green tea now and it tastes better, but maybe cos I steeped it for 3 minutes lang.

JOEY LIKES SOFT FAT BELLY. He just likes soft things, really, HAHAHA.

• Reply Kah Panaligan August 7, 2015 at 11:11 am

How’s We Were Liars? And maybe, I should also start loving green tea. :)

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 12:53 pm

• Reply Raisa August 7, 2015 at 2:00 pm

August just started, so 5 months pa! XD Dang where did the time go though? Can’t believe 2015 is over halfway done.

I don’t make monthly goals, but I guess it would be to keep working on my fitness goals, upgrade my weight lifting regimen, and cut out salty junk food (good luck to me lol).

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 12:54 pm

I need to cut salty junk food from my diet, too. :(

• Reply Jean Pixie August 7, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Main August goal – to have more decent sleep. Haha -__- if my memory serves me right, I haven’t had enough deceng sleep in the past month. I have sleeping problems and it’s really hard going to work with only two-three hours of sleep. Ugh. And also, going back on track to reading at least three books per month :) I miss reading a book in just one sitting!

I followed you on bloglovin btw, I’m Jean Pixie :) I hope you can check out my blog sometime. Have a lovely Friday! x

xo, J |

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 12:56 pm

I tend to only get 4-5 hours of sleep on weeknights so I kinda know what its like. =/ Have you tried sleeping aids like chamomile tea or meditation or sleeping supplements?

• Reply Beauty By Tellie August 7, 2015 at 11:27 pm

I really should wake up earlier instead of finding ways to streamline my shower routine :/

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 12:57 pm

I need to quit it with the snooze button! I adjusted my alarm from 615am to 630am today and I totally didn’t snooze anymore. When it’s at 615am kasi, I’ll hit snooze until 645am vs knowing that I can’t do that anymore at 630am. MAKES SENSE BA?

• Reply stephy macasaet August 8, 2015 at 11:01 am

I read We were liars last week and finished it. How do you find it anyway? Do you like it?

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 12:58 pm

I did!!! It really affected me haha. Did you like it?

• Reply Aiza C. August 8, 2015 at 5:48 pm

I loveee Pinterest. I have like over 40 boards. Do you think it’s normal? And no way. 2015 ends in 4 months?! Hah. Too fast. But so far, this is my fave year. And I think I have lived by with my theme this year. Good luck with this month’s goal!

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 12:59 pm

5 months! My math sucks!

I deleted a bunch of boards and I’m down to 8 now haha.

• Reply Janine August 9, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Oh my I don’t think I can take that Buddha bowl and green tea! No. freakin. way. HAHA!

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Hahaha green/herbal tea is an acquired taste! I just had my 2nd mug this month (lol) and it’s not so bad!

• Reply Trisha August 11, 2015 at 4:59 am

I have a 50-book reading challenge for 2015 on Goodreads and I am waaaaay behind already! I’m glad I was able to finish reading two books this weekend that have long been on my currently-reading-list.

• Reply Helga August 11, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Ack! I don’t think I can do 50 books in a year! Good luck. <3

• Reply Makayla August 11, 2015 at 2:06 pm

I drink green tea at least 2-3 times a day. I’ve been on that routine for maybe 5 years now. This might just be me but I think it helped me keep my weight down. So yeah, add that green tea to your diet!

• Reply Erika August 24, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Hi Helga! Thanks for introducing me to the Buddha bowl! I too want to cut out my unhealthy eating habits and food choices. And this mix-your-own bowl guide looks fun and easy to prepare! I’ve been meaning to know what foods I should incorporate to my meals but I keep forgetting/procrastinating! Now I don’t have to research, thanks to this plain and simple guide! It’s brilliant and exactly what I needed. How was your first bowl? Were you able to make it every night? :)

• Reply Handyortung September 1, 2015 at 6:29 am

I ve never heard of The Miracle Morning, nor have I ever checked out Periscope so I think I ll be checking those two things out. My goal for August is to really get on top of scheduling blog posts and social media!