behind the scenes

5 Little Lessons I Learned Recently

5 Little Lessons I Learned Recently |

1. Hashtags are not embarrassing.

It’s silly, but I never used to add hashtags to my Instagrams. I saw it as clutter, it wasn’t my style and besides, all those big ‘grammers never used them.

But I’m not a famous Instagrammer and who am I to think that I’m above something as useful as a hashtag, right??? So last month, I started adding relevant tags to my photos and this resulted in a handful of new followers. Frankly, I was a little surprised because I didn’t think hashtags could be that effective!

So use a few, use only what’s relevant, or use an entire paragraph (and let people judge)— just use them!

2. Going pescetarian is easy.

Several people have asked me how I do it. Well… I just did. I wasn’t even planning on it! I had gone a couple of days without eating chicken and decided to keep going.

Did you know that pigs and chickens are said to be smarter than toddlers and that cows have emotional depth? Did you know that one pound of beef requires 2,500 gallons of water that could otherwise go to people in need? It’s easy to assume that I gave up (land) meat to lose weight but that’s not the case at all. I’m doing it because I love animals and because it’s also better for the environment.

Here’s to hoping I can keep this up forever!

3. Being pescetarian doesn’t equal to being a healthy eater.

It’s not all raw greens, acai bowls, and green smoothies with chia seeds!

You guys should see the amount of white rice and potatoes (potato chips, really) I eat. I figured that if I’m “depriving” myself of steak, liempo, and Chicken Joy, why should I deprive myself of my favorite carbs? Back in college, I attempted to go vegetarian for all the wrong reasons, but quit a week in because I was living on a diet of instant noodles and Skyflakes. Super unhealthy and made me fatter (in my head), so I went running back to Box O’ Rice’s Beef Salpicao faster than you can say “calories.”

Greens Vegetarian BBQ and Adobo |

Vegetarian BBQ (gluten) & Adobo

Skinny is a young woman’s game and I’ve (thankfully) aged out of that. I don’t care if my diet is making me gain weight because I feel cute and good about myself anyway.

4. Small minds will always be small minds.

If there’s one thing you can count on, it’s that people’s knee-jerk reaction to things they don’t agree with will always be:

“Sino ba siya? Sikat ba siya?”

Babbies, let me tell you this: you don’t need to be famous or a celebrity just for your voice to matter or for your thoughts and feelings to be valid. Be an Edward Droste in a Taylor Swift world. Don’t dismiss people based on their social status or klout score; dismiss them because they’re stupid, wrong, and/or oppressive.

5. Why I blog.

When Lifestyle Bloggers are Useless kind of blew up, it gained the attention some undesirables. I never read more than the first few comments, but friends reported that there were folks spewing BS like how I use high-tail or long-tail keywords for SEO or something like that. And I was sitting there thinking… “what?”

Some people post press releases “blog” for hits, some for event invites, some for freebies, some for money. That’s totally okay because blogging is a legitimate job/business, but don’t assume that everyone else blogs for those same reasons.

I make a living writing and being creative for other brands. It’s fun, but like all jobs, it can drain you. It might seem silly to still be writing during my free time, but blogging is my way of fighting the umay. It’s also where I can write and be creative for myself.

Why do you blog? :)

Other recent (life) lessons that don’t need paragraphs of explaining:

I snore louder than Joey.
Contouring is fun and easy.
Gadgets don’t last forever.
Katsu Cafe’s Fish Katsu Set is super yummy.
I really am deathly allergic to cats.
My work inbox will be my downfall.
I should really read ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS.
Tequila isn’t so bad (I am going to regret this).

What have you learned lately? :)

• Reply Yanie August 17, 2015 at 3:40 pm

I actually like your previous post “Lifestyle Bloggers Are Useless” because tbh most “bloggers” simply wear clothes, post pictures of their signature clothes and post it online. Seriously, where is the essence of writing??

Anyway I blog because I just feel like it. I know I’m not that good in writing, but I’ll get there soon. I initially wanted to be a writer but I took a different path and this is the only platform I can truly express my passion :-)

• Reply Helga August 25, 2015 at 12:40 pm

I think a lot of people are getting umay with mostly visual blogs, and I’m sort of glad haha. Thanks for reading, Yanie!

• Reply Mikli August 17, 2015 at 3:41 pm

I learned! There is an important distinction between dressing to hide my flaws, and finding just *one* thing I love about my body (da real challenge) and dressing to highlight that. It’s such a small and babaw thing, but becauseI have the self-esteem of an ant who has low self-esteem, figuring out this small and babaw thing made such a big difference. :)

• Reply Helga August 25, 2015 at 12:56 pm

HUHUHUHU I hope to be able to do that eventually. I am still stuck at hiding my flaws (aka tiyan) and showing chest (because short neck) and legs (because mainit).

• Reply Camie August 17, 2015 at 3:56 pm

I loved this! I think I may do a post like this soon :) I’ve been sitting here with the comment box open for more than 10 minutes now and I can’t seem to rack my brain for any new things I learned recently… I think the most was to wear sunscreen even though it’s gloomy out because you can STILL get sun burnt. Haha

• Reply Jae August 18, 2015 at 1:50 am

Yes, Camie, you can still get sunburnt even on overcast day… Unfortunately.

• Reply Helga August 25, 2015 at 12:57 pm

I’ve made it a habit to sunscreen everyday na! I wish I started earlier. :(((

• Reply Noelle De Guzman August 17, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Yeah it really is funny to still want to write outside of work hours. I am trying to find the balance between personal writing (journaling?) and the blogging I do within my niche.

• Reply Dani August 17, 2015 at 4:37 pm

You go tell ’em! I think those ‘undesirables’ went below the line. There’s a way to disagree without being disrespectful, and they were just downright rude.

Agree on #1! (Although I am guilty of reviewing past posts and deleting hashtags when I feel it’s too cluttered haha.) I think, generally, as we grow older we just really start to care less about other people’s side comments, especially if it’s over petty things.

• Reply Helga August 25, 2015 at 12:59 pm

I want to review old posts naman and add hashtags but they might be useless na since Instagram sorts them by date!

• Reply Clarisse August 17, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Definitely still learning to feel no shame in putting hashtags! As long as it’s not to the point that #I’mTellingAStory lol =))

• Reply Helga August 25, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Some hashtags are just really stupid hahahaha

• Reply Angel August 17, 2015 at 6:55 pm

I don’t like blogs that contain more press release than personal ones. It just feels pilit, tbh. And I snore louder than my boyfriend, too. Hahaha!

• Reply Helga August 25, 2015 at 1:00 pm

I get emailed press releases a lot and I always feel guilty/sorry for the person who wrote them haha.

• Reply kaith August 17, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Sigh. Ditto on the instructions! Must stop selective reading. Lol.

• Reply Helga August 25, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Hahaha, I paid for an order through Dragonpay tapos I forgot to validate it -_-

• Reply Ade August 17, 2015 at 6:57 pm

*sits down*

*prepares popcorn*

dis don b gud

• Reply Laura August 17, 2015 at 7:18 pm

You know what I learned? My new job taught me that I didn’t know I had muscles in certain places (stupid tomato slicer). Also, not to get mad or frustrated when I’m learning something new. Something I constantly have to remind myself at my job. If I mess up, I get frustrated, but in reality I had only been there for 4 days. The progress I made is really great according to the people I work with.

I mainly blog because I like to share skincare and makeup related things. I don’t really have anyone that cares at all. I wanted to find others online who are also interested and be part of an awesome community.

• Reply Pia August 17, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Let me see, I learned that opening my own bank account isn’t as scary as I always thought it were. Which also helped me learn that I can actually somehow save up and not buy every single thing that is aesthetically pleasing because I have an account to fund. HAHAHA. Planning to go on a shopping ban like you did! ALSO, your blog is the most relatable blog I’ve ever come across. Your content is real and witty and on top of those, helpful! Pls keep doing you.

• Reply Helga August 28, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Thank you so much, Pia! And yes, bank accounts are easy to open; I just wish they were as easy to grow hahahaha.

• Reply Michelle B August 17, 2015 at 10:56 pm

I blog just because I like that I have something to be embarrassed/laugh/look back at when I’m older! Your blog really is something content-wise! Love it! Love u, Helga! (No homo)

• Reply Helga August 28, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Thank you, Michelle! :)

• Reply Jae August 18, 2015 at 1:52 am

I’ve only started using hashtags recently because I used to think they’re ridiculous. Hahaha! I overdo it sometimes, but who cares? My feed, my rulezzz. :P

P.S. You’re deathly allergic to cats?! Perhaps Joey should get you a Sphynx cat, then!

• Reply Helga August 28, 2015 at 4:53 pm

I’ve wanted a Sphynx cat since foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Reply Jae August 29, 2015 at 4:37 am

Ask Joey one for a gift? Hahaha! BI ako!

• Reply Helga September 1, 2015 at 11:07 am

It will be new Freakie enemy hahaha :—————(

• Reply Raisa August 18, 2015 at 10:22 am

I started a hashtag for my pet marimo recently. I’m not sure what I’m gonna do with it. There’s only so much an algae ball can do! But idk, ~exposure~

I was pescetarian at one point (really, it’s Centuray tuna every meal lolol). It was super easy in the Philippines! Much harder in landlocked Vegas though. I think I will try again.

• Reply Helga August 28, 2015 at 4:55 pm

I’ve moved on from Century tuna to bottled tuyo HAHAHAHAHA.

• Reply Jane August 18, 2015 at 11:17 am

Hi Helga! This is actually my first time to comment on a blog post but I’ve been following your blog for months now. I have your site bookmarked on my computer and it’s one of the first sites I open every day before I start working. I am also a writer and have just recently started blogging though I’ve been wanting to do so for the longest time and I must say, you’re a huge writing inspiration. :) I totally agree with your posts about lifestyle bloggers. In fact, you wrote exactly what I had in mind but never had the courage to do so. You are very creative and you inspire me to sustain my own creativity too. Keep it up and please don’t stop writing! hehehe

• Reply Helga August 25, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Hi Jane! Thank you so much for reading and finally commenting. <3 There are days when being creative for my blog is a struggle but thank yooooou for your kind words.

• Reply Alissa August 18, 2015 at 1:31 pm

I haven’t read your blog in a while and I feel like I’m missing half of my life. You posts are always interesting and I love how you speak your mind

• Reply Helga August 25, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Thank you, Alissa!

• Reply Paoline August 18, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Well this week I’m slowly learning that it’s okay to be mediocre and that maybe the ultimate goal is not the stand out, but to blend in.

P.S. I’m considering not eating pork and beef as a start towards pescetarian life! :)

• Reply Helga August 25, 2015 at 1:39 pm

YOU CAN DO IT!!!! I miss chicken the most!

• Reply Jhanz August 18, 2015 at 4:55 pm

I have the same reason why I blog. Sure, it’s fun to get invited every once in a while or whatever, but I think I stuck with my small space in the internet because I feel free to write whatever I want without being subjected to any kind of standards.

Also: I put hashtags on my comment section para di ~cluttered~ pero super helpful sya in terms of likes and followers. I still don’t have a lot, pero the likes are starting to grow (unlike before lol)

• Reply Michelle August 18, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Yeah, hashtags are highly effective (pokemon joke. Couldn’t resist lol) on instagram. I’ve been using them for a long time since I joined which was ages ago. I met wonderful people and follow even equally wonderful people.

• Reply yan August 18, 2015 at 7:43 pm

aaah i love the way you think. <3

• Reply Joyce August 18, 2015 at 9:00 pm

I agree with #4 with ” you don’t need to be famous or a celebrity just for your voice to matter or for your thoughts and feelings to be valid”. Recently, I tweeted something about the system of PRC to govph and pnoy. I really didn’t expect that it can reach Malacanang. But when I filed my application at PRC, the held my papers and didn’t let me finish the process until I talked to the regional director. Just because of that tweet. Now, i’m scared and i’m having weird thoughts like baka ibabagsak ako or whatever. Or maybe i’m just overthinking. haha
    AT first I regret tweeting that but I realised, for me that time it was right thing to do.

• Reply Joyce August 18, 2015 at 9:02 pm

i apologise for the typos and grammatical errors. hehe

• Reply Helga August 18, 2015 at 9:03 pm

How did that go? Baka they’re power-tripping lang, which is bad!

• Reply Joyce August 19, 2015 at 10:22 am

I don’t know… They interrogated me and all.

• Reply Hannah August 19, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Yes, I totally agree with you Helga, other people claiming to be bloggers posting enormous fashion photos. I don’t see the point of people relating to it. I mean, I just hate it to be honest. We visit blogs because we want to read about useful stuff. Thumbs up for having the balls posting about other lifestyle bloggers being useless and all. Somebody has got to do it. Don’t pay attention to people with nothing good to say.

• Reply Marielle August 20, 2015 at 12:59 pm

I’m learning to incorporate more seafood into my diet. It’s been fun so far. Squid is a favorite.
    Nakakainis yung “Sino ba siya? Sikat ba siya.” mentality. That’s the reason why so many are still on edge about voicing out their opinions. I can never understand why people don’t just unfollow instead of bitch about things.

• Reply Kai August 20, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Number 4 is reaaalllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy right. I get that feeling too.

• Reply Charles Ravndal August 21, 2015 at 2:39 am

No. 4 is so right :)

This is not recent, but I learned or noticed that people are getting dumber as technology is getting more advanced. For example, I’ve noticed a lot of people write negative comments based on the title or image without even reading the whole entry. Also we’ve become a world full of whiners, especially those so-called keyboard warriors.

• Reply Beauty By Tellie August 22, 2015 at 12:16 am

“Babbies, let me tell you this: you don’t need to be famous or a celebrity just for your voice to matter or for your thoughts and feelings to be valid.”

^Gems like this justify why I kiss your anus hole all the time!!! “sino ba siya” is backtalk by butthurt parties who wanna blindly hit back ‘cos they felt attacked. It’s all malice and doesn’t have substance.

On the other hand, it’s a good thing to tell yourself when stressing over below-the-belt personal attacks. Lifestyle BAU butthurt people should have just said to themselves “sino ba si Helga” instead of letting the imagined slight get the best of them (I FB stalked that mess. Ang Kinder lang.)

• Reply Helga August 25, 2015 at 1:35 pm

They’re all so panget hahahaha