behind the scenes

Life Lately aka Things I’ve Been Doing Instead of Blogging

Life Lately |

Life Lately seems to be redundant because everyone already gets a run-down of what’s been up via Friday’s 10 Happy Things, but this is more of a bunch of random crap thrown together. I figure that I could do this whenever I don’t feel like blogging, which has basically been my mood the whole of August. I blame it on this ghost month thing, even though a) I’m not Chinese and b) I have no idea what ghost month is all about.

August has been mostly miserable, thanks to Metro Manila traffic and my increasingly frustrating life as a commuter. Leaving the country seems to be a necessity these days and I wish it were easier to just get up and go. It doesn’t help that my most vicious, self-defeatist thoughts occur when commuting.

Here’s a list of stuff I’ve been doing lately:

-Reading Crazy Rich Asians, which is crazy easy and crazy good and makes me crazy sad I don’t live in Singapore. When I’m not reading CRA, I’m reading internet gossip. I now know way too much about Egreis Gjergjani and it’s knowledge I’ll never get to use.

-Watching The Office. I’m slowly making my way through season 2 and I’ll probably finish the whole thing while Joey is away next month.

-Spending money. I had to buy a new Magsafe charger on Sunday because my old one finally crapped out on me after 2 years. I also spent $75 on pure argan oil and an argan oil hair repair thing from Souq Organics, which I am very very excited about. Watch me g l o w.

-Spending time with Joey, who is the best person to have around. ♥

-Still practicing how to contour and getting kinda decent at it. A guy co-worker actually complimented me on my makeup yesterday. I’ve achieved the following so far: learned how to mascara, learned how to eyeshadow, learned how to contour. My next goal is to learn how to be a decent human being towards Globe customer reps on Twitter.

-Making myself sick pigging out on delicious food. Joey and I ate at our favorite Japanese place over the weekend (Yaku at Podium, if you’re interested) and had tamago don, assorted tempura (rip-off, don’t order), shake shio and gindara yakitori (best), and kakiage udon. I ended up lying in bed with an upset tummy for eating too much. Do cats ever have to deal with this???

Some thoughts:

-Remember when you didn’t have to be cute and skinny to be a (successful) blogger?

-Of course pretty and skinny aren’t enough (the industry isn’t that shallow). I was going through my feeds the other day and realized I follow this one person who, though very pretty and very pleasant, didn’t seem to have a personality. And I’ve been following her for 4 years! Sanitized online images are so boring.

-A good way to grow your online image is to make patola people, but do it in an intelligent and funny way.

-A good way to look stupid is to use words (e.g. perusal, when you really mean use) incorrectly.

-Act like an outsider, be treated like an outsider.

And a question:

-If a blogger got something for free (e.g. a hotel stay) and hated it, should he/she blog about his/her experience? What are your thoughts?

• Reply Jaya August 26, 2015 at 6:32 pm

That last question is a good question because I recently attended an event and didn’t like the food so now I’m so confused… Can I say I didn’t like it? I think I should be able to but then I don’t wanna hurt their feelings?! I don’t wanna be fake though. I want my content to be real and original. HAY.

• Reply Helga August 28, 2015 at 11:13 am

Diba! It’s so hard because you don’t want to seem ungrateful but at the same time, you need to be honest to your readers. I’d rather an honest review than a shill!

• Reply Jhanz September 2, 2015 at 4:11 pm

I think you can say that the food CAN BE BETTER or something? Euphemism hehehe! Or maybe you could point out other nice things about the place, like the ambiance, or the nice servers. :D

• Reply moki August 26, 2015 at 6:50 pm

I think you guys should say it if you hated it cos I really wanna know! Though don’t use the word “hate” sa entry because what it does for the people in charge is… they forget everything else (even your actual complaint) and focus on that one word LOL. Maybe just always use a scale (stars, number of cats etc) or an absurd reference like what Conan O’Brien does at the end of his Clueless Gamer segments.

• Reply Karishma August 26, 2015 at 6:58 pm

I wouldn’t blog about the item / experience if it was something I didn’t enjoy. That or I’d try to find the bright side to it lol idk which parallel universe I’d be able to do that though.

• Reply Laura August 26, 2015 at 7:00 pm

I would blog about it anyway. I would explain why in full detail you dislike it.

Also, I can’t wait for you to finish The Office. That show is so funny. Oh, Michael…

• Reply Elle Strange August 26, 2015 at 7:33 pm

It’s really nice knowing more things about you. Haha. I’ll stop, I’ll sound creepy again. Lol.

Anyway, bloggers are entitled to their own opinion especially if they are asked to do a review. But we should be mindful of how are we going to relay the bad experience to the management and to our readers as well. True, you can post how bad the experience was, but is it necessary to say things such as DON’T GO THERE, TELL OTHER PEOPLE NOT TO GO THERE or simply advocating not to let other people try something that has a higher chance that their experience can be great? For me, personally, they let you try the experience because they are confident that they can do well. If something went wrong, it’s probably a bad timing, or should we say “something that happens in real life” for the most part. Bad mouthing a service depends on the level too, I think. Lol. If instead of acknowledging their wrong, they did not do any action about it, you can maybe be the karma. Haha.

• Reply Helga August 28, 2015 at 11:15 am

Hahaha, don’t worry, not creepy at all!

• Reply Dani August 26, 2015 at 8:10 pm

I got a copy of Crazy Rich Asians recently but it has to wait until I finish two other books. Looking forward to it though! Also, it’s hard to be decent towards Globe Twitter reps when they keep passing you around. I just hate that when the person I talk to ends her shift, she passes me to a completely different person and I would have to brief someone about my problem again.

On your question: I’ve never gotten anything free that I *completely* hated. Usually, our hosts would let us know that they appreciate honesty. So when I review restaurant food, I’m honest about what I liked and what I didn’t, how the service can be improved, etc. If that happens to me in the future, ewan ko lang haha. Baka I won’t na lang.

• Reply Helga August 28, 2015 at 11:18 am

It’s so hard to put down Crazy Rich Asians! I’m almost done with it and then I’m going to get China Rich Girlfriend today. Can’t wait for you to read it! So juicy haha.

Haha I wish I could link everyone to the blog entry I’m referring to but it might start dramaaaaa.

• Reply Romila Marie August 26, 2015 at 8:14 pm

My Macbook charger breaks every year halos! Kung inipon ko yun, meron na akong bagong Macbook haha :(

“Remember when you didn’t have to be cute and skinny to be a (successful) blogger?”

…and rich lels

• Reply Helga August 28, 2015 at 11:18 am

My last Magsafe charger was only 2.5k off Sulit (original, but no Mac packaging). I found one on OLX last Sunday but I needed my MBP that night so I shelled out 4.5k at Power Mac na lang. :(

• Reply Erica August 26, 2015 at 9:57 pm

I loved CRazy Rich Asians. Just finished the second book, China Rich Girlfriend!

And isn’t it sad when girls are so ridiculously blessed with immaculate beauty, yet the instant they talk, there’s zero personality? What’s that word…oh yeah…sayang ????

Anyway I like coming across your blog!

• Reply Helga August 28, 2015 at 11:19 am

Thanks, Erica! And yes, very sayang talaga!

EXCITED FOR CHINA RICH GIRLFRIEND! I am liking Kitty Pong in CRA haha.

• Reply Honey August 26, 2015 at 10:10 pm

I miss when blogging was a purely voteuristic and journaling experience. ????

• Reply Honey August 27, 2015 at 3:23 pm

I also forgot to say that I would probably blog about an experience I wouldn’t recommend if it will save someone else a bad time. Not if the place may have just been having a bad day and I was just being spiteful, which I can get in the mood to be. Put another way, I would post a negative review if it will benefit others aside from myself…

• Reply Helga August 28, 2015 at 11:20 am

That’s a good rule of thumb!

• Reply Rose August 27, 2015 at 4:53 pm

I’ve had Crazy Rich Asians on my Kindle for the longest time but I can never seem to finish it. *sighs* Must find someone who actually owns a paperback copy of it instead so I can borrow. Have you read China Rich Girlfriend, too?

• Reply Helga August 28, 2015 at 11:22 am

I’ll be reading CRG after CRA! Better to read the paperback version nga. I had it on my Kindle but it was hard to get to the footnotes.

• Reply Bae Milanes August 27, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Kuya is the same with Globe people. It can really get frustrating at times.

• Reply Helga August 28, 2015 at 11:23 am

Hahaha he flirted with Ken and Ken is the one I dislike the most!!!

• Reply Aye Laniton August 27, 2015 at 6:47 pm

Not blogging about it will be the safest answer.

After eating lots, my kitties always looks so happy and contented. I am jealous!

• Reply Corinth August 28, 2015 at 10:38 am

Really loving your makeup looks lately! <3 And about the hotel review, if I was required to really write up something about them, and I hated my experience, I will still be really honest without stepping on anybody toes. It's challenging but doable.

• Reply Helga August 28, 2015 at 11:24 am

Thank you, Corinth!!! <3

• Reply JeniG August 30, 2015 at 7:16 am

First time here on your blog and I really enjoy reading your posts, you ROCK! :) Saw your blog thru Google ‘coz I’m having mixed thoughts about Lazada (deciding on putting down their banner sa blog). About the last question, will not blog about it na lang… **I think I know the blog post you’re referring to**