behind the scenes

September Goals

September Goals |

We’ve hit the -ber months and I am super pleased! The holidays are the best and I have that ~10-day agency break in December to look forward to. Color me ready to hibernate.

Here’s how I did last month:

August Goals

Clean up my Pinterest – I deleted several boards, which qualifies as cleaning up. That’s it. I succeeded. Moving on…

Make my first Buddha bowl – failed. I bought a 1lb bag of quinoa and it didn’t have the price displayed but I thought— how expensive can quinoa be?! I had gotten a 4lb bag for PHP400-600 pesos before, after all.

It was PHP936. Or PHP963. I was too speechless when the cashier scanned it and my chicken shit brain blanked. My mom told me I should have just asked the cashier to cancel the item and next time this happens to me, I WILL. Months ago, I bought a huge jar of sundried tomato pesto under the impression it was ~PHP200. I was wrong, the price was triple that and I froze and just paid for the damn thing. Lesson learned.

Back to the Buddha bowl: disheartened by the darn quinoa (which I’ve only eaten once since purchasing the overpriced bag), I forgot all about Buddha bowls until it was too late. Bottled tuyo and white rice are way yummier anyway.

PS: I’m giving up on quinoa. Just give the Peruvians back their food.

Drink more green tea – it’s still not a daily habit but I’ve drank more green tea in the past month than I have my whole life.

Read 3 books from my book stack – I finished Anatomy of a Misfit and Crazy Rich Asians. I tried to get into Good Omens but I wasn’t in the mood and I’m shelving Rich Bitch for now.

September Goals

Work out at least 2x a week

Don’t get excited, I just plan on doing the 7-Minute Workout or some variation of it. Someone credible please write a lazy girl’s guide to fitness or something.

Totally declutter my room

I’m reading Marie Kondo’s book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, and my fingers are just itching to throw shit out. I think this is actually possible because Joey will be away most of the month so I’ll have two free weekends. Does anyone know the best way to dispose of books and old magazines? I’m really not keen on lugging them around to donate, especially since I don’t drive.

September reading list

September Reading List |

I hope to finish 3 books this month: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, This Will Make You Smarter, and My Heart and Other Black Holes. I will probably drop one of them when I get a copy of Mindy Kaling’s Why Not Me? or when the small paperback edition of China Rich Girlfriend hits shelves (I’m too cheap to spend PHP700+ on fluff fiction, okay!).

What are your goals for September? :)

• Reply Mikli September 3, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Book sale (please)!!!!! Even an online one, and people (LIKE MEEEEE) can/will pick them up instead of you delivering them! :)

• Reply Helga September 4, 2015 at 5:26 pm

These are UGLY books!!!

• Reply Aye Laniton September 3, 2015 at 4:09 pm

For me, working out will always be a struggle. Hitting the gym is a burden and it doesn’t make me feel good afterwards. I’ve read lots of ‘Lazy Girl Fitness Tips’, and I just realized how lazy I am! Haha! So it’s better to find an exercise routine that you actually enjoy like a sport or dancing. :)

Good luck on your September Goals! <3

• Reply Helga September 4, 2015 at 5:41 pm

I used to go to Circuit and I loved it but then Joey and I started dating and I stopped going hahahaha.

• Reply Erica September 3, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Omg I love quinoa, where did you get them here in the Philippines? I know they sometimes have it at s&r but it’s a hit or miss. 900 is actually pretty cheap compared to the ones at s&r! I normally have my mom or mom-in-law ship them to me in big bags since it’s waaaay cheaper there, but all that customs drama doesn’t seem to be dying down anytime soon and I’m running low on my stock.

• Reply Allie September 3, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Planning on starting the clean up process through Marie Kondo’s method as well, good luck to us! I wanted to start earlier, but forgot to take notes while reading her book though, so I’m still torn between doing the lazy thing and looking for a summarized checklist online or skimming through the book again to write them down.

• Reply Henri September 3, 2015 at 4:41 pm

I got my mom’s assistant to sell my old magazines. They have a shop that sells random things. But for books, you can sell them online! I saw a book swap group on fb a few months back. You can exchange your old books for one that you might like. Not exactly getting more space, but yay for free books, right? This is the one, I think:

• Reply Rej September 3, 2015 at 5:25 pm

You should make drinking tea an everyday habit! My officemates know me for immediately rushing to the pantry to get water and make some tea the moment I arrive in the office. I need to finish reading the books in my “Currently Reading” Shelf in Goodreads. It’s been so long!

• Reply John Steven September 3, 2015 at 5:33 pm

I should drink more green tea. Months ago I bought a box of it and have only had it twice since then. I end up having coffee first in the mornings, and then later on in the day prefer cold beverages instead of tea. In Afghanistan, I’d have tea throughout the day though!

• Reply Janine September 3, 2015 at 5:51 pm

I would suggest that you replace working out 2x a week with doing *some sort* of exercise daily. That way it becomes a daily habit. When I do that, I tell myself that I will do at least X amount of squats per day, or more if I feel like it, and it turns out that once I have done the squats I almost always feel like doing more. At the very least, you do your little daily minimum and anything else is a bonus! Anyway, that’s just my suggestion from one lazy girl to another. ;)

• Reply Paoline September 3, 2015 at 5:59 pm

I love the -ber months too, because it starts to get cold na yey! Goal for this month is to make a dent on my birthday book stack and… yes, workout. Good luck to us! :)

• Reply Joana September 3, 2015 at 6:34 pm

One of my goals this month is to survived finals! It’s a struggle & I might ditch working out this month since I’m pretty sure I’ll eat a lot because of the massive home works & projects. Food is my stress reliever! Good luck on your September goals! <3

• Reply Jhanz September 3, 2015 at 6:36 pm

I accept old books! Haha! :) Maybe you can have someone pick it up from your place or something? Hehe! And yay good luck for your september goals!

• Reply Angel September 3, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Huhu! I wish I could go back to working out as well pero OMG ang sarap humilata haha.

• Reply Laura September 3, 2015 at 9:34 pm

My goals are probably to apply for 5 more jobs, read a book, start a crocheting or sewing project, and do muscle strengthening at least once a week.

• Reply Dani September 3, 2015 at 9:35 pm

Halfway through the KonMari book! I get the urge to throw stuff away! I spent half a day last weekend just sorting out one big cabinet of clothes at home. I ended up with four big bags of stuff to give away and one to throw out. Not even done yet!

• Reply Jae September 3, 2015 at 10:53 pm

Holy crap, 900+ for a Buddha bowl?! Nag-buffet na lang sana kayo ni Joey!

• Reply Dice September 4, 2015 at 1:14 am

Same here! I need to workout but I’m aiming for at least 3x a week. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to do that though.

Dice, Wildest Heart

• Reply Chel September 4, 2015 at 2:02 am

Couple of years ago I was able to sell my old magazines to Filbars. Also, I think I need this book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.

• Reply stevevhan September 4, 2015 at 4:26 am

i really wanna include the reading list, but to my surprise, i can’t now, actually my goal is to have that Jon snow look (Game of thrones) hihi, but im always sleepy to go to gym. So, gym vs. sleep? of course i’ll choose sleep!

Good luck on your goals this month! update us!

• Reply Gelleesh September 4, 2015 at 11:51 am

Goal for September is to just chill and take things light because it’s my friggin’ birth month. Haha! I should probably make a goal list every month too… I feel like even though I’ve been productive work-wise, my personal life has been a total mess (not in an emo kind of way but more of things to accomplish at home, with friends, travel shit, and whatnot).

• Reply Lou Castaneda September 4, 2015 at 3:04 pm

I have always set a goal for working out, but guess what? It didn’t happen. I’d rather stay at home and watch youtube tutorials in effecting working out. Basically, my only aim is to sweat and make some time for my back. Yoga is good too, but I’m not that motivated so sucks. And yep, you can actually sell your books online! :)

• Reply Nickle Love September 4, 2015 at 7:29 pm

I tried that 7 minute workout thing last month and it was so intense that I passed out after task 3. Si that was like 3minutes in?

You may throw unwanted books my way. I’ll keep the ones i like and donate the others. Or maybe start a free library or something. Ooor… You can gift it to someone for Christmas. Tipid pa. Lol

• Reply Pia September 4, 2015 at 10:59 pm

Did the 7-minute workout over the summer (everyday, even on weekends) and it’s difficult. At first. I got used to it and it felt kulang so I started using another workout app as a supplementary. So ayun, it jump started my summer workout and I did shed some weight! But I’m gaining them back because stress eating. :( Anyway, you should really give it a try! :)

• Reply Joyce September 5, 2015 at 1:40 pm

i’m bad at setting goals cos it’s either i can’t achieve it or i’m too lazy. lol but is till do it anyway. what green tea do you drink? yung twinnings ba? :)
    Hope you can check all the things in your list by the end of the month. xoxo

• Reply Janine September 8, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Workout? Ano yan? Wala sa vocabulary ko yan! Hahaha

• Reply Charles Ravndal September 10, 2015 at 2:58 am

Quinoa is surprisingly expensive. I think healthy stuff should be cheap. Anyway, my September goals are to resume writing my book, a time improvement in this month’s uphill race here in Bergen called Stoltzekleiven Opp (I got like 17 minutes last year and hopefully I can reach the top by 15 minutes or less.) and bake more!