behind the scenes

September Favorites

September Favorites |

Today, I’m joining Raisa and Eirene‘s monthly link-up called My Favorite Things. I know it’s October, but it’s only the first week and it’s too early to tell this month’s faves (like, I’m super into this thing right now but I might hate it in a few weeks, ya know?) so I’ll be reviewing September’s.

Here are the things I loved last month (and still love ’til today!):

Fujifilm X-A2

September Favorites |

This camera is MAGICAL and not just because it makes me look like I’ve been drinking the blood of infants and virgins! Seriously, I have nice skin but it isn’t that nice.

My bedroom is kinda dark (even during the day) and somehow, this camera automatically adjusts its settings and doesn’t make it look like a live in a dungeon! My dSLR could do that too, but that thing was bulky and a better fit for Joey. And compared to the 700D, photos come out more vibrant with the X-A2!

Argan Oil and Virgin Coconut Oil

September Favorites |

Don’t bother with commercial moisturizers. Coconut oil and argan oil are all you need! My skin looks so much better (dewy, glowing, alive) ever since I started using these two on my face. I also hydrate the rest of my body with VCO. In the beginning, I would end up with limp, greasy hair because I was doing everything wrong. I even went to a shoot like that! Pro-tip: slather on VCO when you’re done drying or styling your hair.

VCO is also a wonderful makeup remover! I pour a little on a face wipe/baby wipe (never use cotton) and gently massage on my lashes and brows and then wash it off with my usual beauty bar.

Why Not Me?

September Favorites |

I don’t think it’s possible for me to hate anything Mindy Kaling does. She can steal my boyfriend away from me and on the day of their engagement party, I’d be all OMG I HAVE TO BE A BRIDESMAID!!! and if she says NO! and picks someone else, I’ll just go WHY NOT ME?

JK here’s a list of things I would hate Mindy Kaling for:
-if she murders a cat
-if she actually steals my boyfriend

Other than those two, my luv for Mindy is pretty much unconditional.

Happy Skin’s Shut Up & Kiss Me in Honeymoon Glow

September Favorites |

I felt like social media had duped me after I purchased this tube of Happy Skin’s Shut Up & Kiss Me because I hated it in the beginning. It glides on smoothly and it’s a very flattering color but it just wouldn’t stay put on my lips. I was close to trading it in for one of Sanya‘s lip things but decided to keep it on my office desk as a lip balm of sort (it’s super moisturizing).

It grew on me. I wear it almost daily now.

September Favorites |

I know we’re only supposed to list our favorites but I thought I’d include a couple of things that I didn’t like.

The duds:

September Favorites |

Maybelline Great Lash and Maybelline Magnum Volum Express mascaras.

I had such high hopes for Great Lash but once again, social media duped me. I HATE THIS THING. The wand is dumb, the superfudge formula is dumb, and I hate the lack of drama it lends to my lashes. Maybe I was just expecting too much? But who the heck wears mascara for natural-looking lashes???

I’m actually still undecided about Magnum Volum Express because it’s a bit of a hit and miss. While it does thicken and lengthen my lashes, it also tends to flake (so uncomfortable) and clump. Sometimes, my lashes are all off in different directions, too??? Maybe I need to give it some time, the way I did with Rocket Volum.

What are your favorite (drugstore) mascaras? :)

My Favorite Things: A Blog Linkup

• Reply Mimi Gonzales October 8, 2015 at 8:30 am

That’s exactly how I felt with the X-A2 once I bought it. It’s really magical and perfect just for me *.* I’m glad you finally bought it (or your boyfriend did, ayeee!). I’ve been eyeing that same book by Mandy, too! I should really get my hands on that very soon.

Also, is that a lipstick or lip balm? Sorry I don’t wear makeup that much and I’m not familiar, but I would love to try that since it’s moisturizing! It looks very flattering on you as well, ate Helga. :) Did you buy it online?

• Reply Helga October 8, 2015 at 10:31 am

The tube says “moisturizing lippie” haha “lippie.” I got it from Beauty Bar! Happy Skin is a local brand. :)

• Reply Paoline October 8, 2015 at 8:33 am

I thought I was the only one who didn’t like the Great Lash mascara! I’m currently using Maybelline Hypercurl mascara, and it does a great job of holding the curl even without me having to use an eyelash curler.

Honeymon Glow looks good on you — talagang nagglow!

• Reply Helga October 8, 2015 at 10:33 am

I never even curl my lashes! I guess I’m lucky that my lashes don’t point down so I can get away without a curler and not have mascara smudge.

Thanks, Pao!!! Such a pretty color talaga.

• Reply Karen October 8, 2015 at 8:44 am

I love VCO – it’s the holy grail of skin care! :) For the mascara, right now, I’m using Etude’s Lash Perm Curl Fix. I love/hate it. I love it cos it’s long-lasting and waterproof. The only thing is… I’m having a hard time to remove it even if I use VCO. I think I need the correct make up remover for my mascara – I’ve been seeing Biore in ads but haven’t got the time to purchase one.

• Reply Helga October 8, 2015 at 10:39 am

The hardest to remove mascara for me is the pink tube from Heroine Make. I just really soak my lashes in VCO and take my time with it! Sobrang hassle haha.

• Reply Romila Marie October 8, 2015 at 9:21 am

You need to let the Magnum mascara dry a bit (because the formula’s too wet, imo) Maybe wait for a couple of weeks then use it again? It’s one of my HG mascaras! Great Lash sucks, I don’t know why it’s so hyped up here when it’s known to be shit in the US. :s

Your makeup’s on point <3

• Reply Helga October 8, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Thank yooou!!! Huhu I am going to have to use Great Lash and Heroine Make while waiting for Magnum to stew. Maybe I can use the Magnum’s wand lolololol.

• Reply Mayen October 8, 2015 at 10:48 am

I want to get the Happy Skin’s Shut Up & Kiss Me . My favorite drugstore mascara is the L’oreal Miss Manga coz it gives my lashes that manga character look that I love!

• Reply Helga October 8, 2015 at 5:14 pm

Just watched a video review! I think I want it!

• Reply Honey October 8, 2015 at 1:00 pm

OMG I have the stupid Great Lash and the wand is absolutely useless. I cannot even properly have an opinion on the nascar itself because the wand does a shit job of applying it. Most of the time, my lashes just get rubbed around until I get frustrated, swipe just a tad too hard, and leave skid marks on my eyelids. @$%^$#^.

• Reply Helga October 8, 2015 at 6:25 pm

The wand is so annoying diba!!! Everytime I use it, it’s like WTF R U SUPPOSED 2 B DOING???

• Reply Honey November 25, 2015 at 1:53 am

I’m still using now… Just to use it up. I end up with clumpy spider leg eyelashes. Waaahhhh.

• Reply Bianca October 8, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Hi Helga! Would you mind posting a review of your Fujifilm and the outcome of the photos? I’ve been planning to buy one but hesitating because sometimes, it looks good in the cam, but when transferred to a computer it’s super grainy especially when taking photos at night. Thank you!!

• Reply Raisa October 8, 2015 at 2:18 pm

I love your camera!! I have the Sony RX100 which is technically a point-and-shoot but the quality is still great. I kinda wish I went with a mirrorless camera though. I was trying to save some money hahaha.

Thank you so much for joining our linkup! <3

• Reply Alyssa Panghulan October 8, 2015 at 2:38 pm

I had a DSLR before but it was too outdated I decided to sell it. Now I’m torn between buying a mirrorless camera, the X-A2 to be exact and maybe a latest model of a DSLR. T_T And aaaah~ Helga, you’re so pretty! <3 <3 I love your eyes <3 <3

• Reply Allie October 8, 2015 at 3:31 pm

Heroine Make’s mascara is quite good in my opinion! It lengthens and volumizees without leaving my eyelashes all clumpy and stuck together. It’s hella waterproof too and holds the curl for the entire day.

It’s difficult to remove with your typical eye makeup remover though, so I also use thee brand’s mascara remover. It works wonders with removing eyeliner as well. :D

• Reply Cherry October 8, 2015 at 5:36 pm

I also have Honeymoon Glow, totally love it, i wear it everyday. Happy skin’s The Morning After lip and cheek mousse is also great =)

• Reply Rej October 8, 2015 at 5:57 pm

I actually use Maybelline’s Great Lash Mascara and it works well for me. I still have to explore other options though as I have only started with a growing interest on make-up. And Helga, can I just say that you always look beautiful no matter what shade your lipstick is <3

• Reply Megann October 8, 2015 at 6:08 pm

Any particular place or brand for the VCO and Argan Oil? I really want to start including it in my routine but I’m super clueless.

I also have the Happy Skin “lippie” lol. My shade is Under the Sheets, which leans more towards wine/mahogany. I agree that it doesn’t stay on… As in why do I even have this? But then I see how well it moisturizes, I just have it with me all the time haha! :)

• Reply Cha October 8, 2015 at 10:03 pm

Hi Helga! I’m thinking of buying a camera. Is the X-A2 the best among the X series of Fujifilm?

• Reply Laura October 8, 2015 at 10:46 pm

I actually use Great Lash for natural looks. I really only use it to darken my lashes since I don’t want much and I like how easy it is to remove at night.

• Reply Jae October 9, 2015 at 1:19 am

That lipstick shade looks good on you! :) I have about four different mascaras in my stash, all of which are not waterproof. So far, the ones I always pick up are Maybelline Lash Sensation and L’Oreal Telescopic. I use the latter on my lower lashes (if I use the former on my top lashes). :)

• Reply Christine October 9, 2015 at 1:58 am

ooohh I love Mindy as well! Just downloaded her book on my e-reader. Can’t wait to read it on the plane!
    She is so funny!

• Reply astrid October 9, 2015 at 3:19 am

oops. I actually use the Great Lash mascara. I like it except that it’s not water-proof. I like how it looks natural but defined (may goofy photo ako sa last blogpost ko w/ my lashes sticking out, used Great Lash for it) or maybe i just lack mascara options. I just roll the wand per lash. when it gets near the corner of my eyes na, I use the smaller edge. It doesn’t clump which is nice.

And, I was waiting for your opinion on mindy’s book but then again it’s mindy! so i shall buy na. hahaha. thank you!

• Reply Kessa Thea Nielsen October 9, 2015 at 4:50 am

Love this link-up! I just discovered L’Oreal’s Volume Million Lashes (Feline). So far, I am loving it. I think it’s worth the try.

• Reply maria October 9, 2015 at 11:53 am

hi helga. love love love your blog!
    i’m assuming, since you have a dslr and now moved on to mirrorless.., what kind of lens would you recommend i get first?

• Reply Lea October 9, 2015 at 6:06 pm

Honeymoon Glow is one of my favourite lipsticks from Happy Skin! Do try out their lip and cheek tints though!!

• Reply Aye Laniton October 9, 2015 at 6:07 pm

Carly Cat on the photo. So adorbs!

• Reply Alissa October 9, 2015 at 8:46 pm

My fave Mascara is by Maybelline too. I really love the photo quality of your new camera Helga! :)

• Reply Corinth October 10, 2015 at 4:09 pm

I bought Maybelline mascaras because the internet told me to then after trying a bunch, I can say that I HATE MAYBELLINE mascaras!! They do nothing for me, they’re so hard to work with and they’re too wet and make my lashes look like they only have 3 strands of hair. I love Loreal’s Carbon Black Voluminous Mascara, and the Telescopic. The secret to mascaras is to keep building them up and I heard na pointing a fan on your face while doing mascara helps din. And my all time favorite mascara is Too Faced Better Than Sex, still ain’t better than sex though, HAHA.

The lippie looks so good on you! I can never pull off that kind of shade kasi I’m not maputi. And yes, I decided to stop doing my IPSY posts because I know with products, first impressions DON’T really last.

Lastly, really loving your self-portraits! <3 You make me want to get my own mirrorless camera but I', so poor right now. :(

• Reply Pia October 10, 2015 at 4:53 pm

L O V E the lippie! I might buy it within the week as it is exactly the color I’m looking for — one that I can wear to school. If you have the time, can you please do a review on the X-A2? :D Wanting to buy that one since it got released but still contemplating. It looks beautiful though. Also, how do you go about using virgin coconut oil on you body? Do you use it before you shower and then wash it off or after and then leave it on for the day? Been looking for a skincare stuff that I can stick to. Haha. Have a great week, Helga! <3

• Reply Michelle B October 10, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Try Covergirl’s The Super Sizer if you haven’t!

• Reply Jean October 11, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Likewise. I was disappointed with Great Lash, but a waste of money to throw it. I am trying to use it as much as possible. I just hate that it smudge and leaves an ugly black mess under my eyes, making my eye bags look more ew. Lesson learned: must’ve sticked with Rimmel instead.

• Reply Joyce October 12, 2015 at 9:06 pm

I’ve heard great stuff about XA2. I want to have one but it’s way out of my budget for now. I’m thinking of Xm1 or X30. I dunno which is better. hehe I have to do more research…
    Lovely picks, Helga! :)

• Reply Mara October 13, 2015 at 7:41 am

I just finished the audiobook for ‘Why Not Me?’! I was really excited to hear that Mindy Kaling came out with a second book since I really enjoyed her first one. Perfect timing too since The Mindy Project started up again! :D

With mascaras, I usually end up scraping most of the product off the wand and then building it up from there. I’ve been using the Maybelline Turbo Volum’ Express or the Mega Plush Volum’ Express. The wand for the Mega Volum’ Express is a little harder to work with since it’s so big but I really need to get it in the waterproof formula just for it to hold the curl :’D

• Reply Eirene October 15, 2015 at 8:59 am

Ugh I love Maybelline’s Rocket Volume Waterproof so much because it actually curls them straight lashes. I’m trying out the L’Oreal Butterfly Intenza right now and ehhhhh don’t like. Probably because they’re not waterproof haha. But people have been raving the L’oreal Telescopic and the pink Maybelline one (I can’t remember).

Also, that lip colour looks so great on your skin tone!