When I was young and naïve, I always thought life would have some sort of ceremony or a turning point that’ll explicitly mark the passage from bumbling teen to full-fledged adult. Like, I was 21 when I moved into my first condo and that could have been #mymoment… but my mom was paying for my rent. I started paying for my own rent at 25 and that could have been #mymoment… but my mom would still come over to clean my apartment. I’m fully financially independent now and maybe this is #mymoment… and does it really matter that I live with my mom???
Adulthood is an adventure and sometimes, it feels like an adventure (or field trip) that my parents didn’t sign the permission slip for. It wasn’t until a few years ago that it really sank in. Of course, there are moments when I am ridden with insecurity and struggle with this reality. I just have to gently remind myself that while I can still be a dainty baby crawling through life, at least I’m not helpless.
Need assurance that you’re really an adult now? Here are some things to clue you in!
1. You’ve developed solid political opinions and actually care about the coming national elections. Because dammit, you are a taxpayer and the results will actually be felt!
2. You bid good-bye to your days of running to the sari-sari store to get load because you now have a post-paid plan. Seriously, I consider walking out of the Globe Gateway store back in 2013 holding my new phone and post-paid sim card (plus a monthly bill under MY name) as one of my adult milestones.
It took 7 years after college for me to get my own post-paid line because I always thought I couldn’t afford it and I didn’t want to go through the hassle of proving that I could. I was also scared of going over my limit, which is what happened when I had my first line at 15.
Fortunately, getting a post-paid line is now easier and affordable with Globe’s myStarter Plan! A combination of pre-paid and post-paid, the myStarter plan allows you to stay in control of your plan because you pay a set amount monthly (PHP300 or PHP500) but you also have the option to top-up. You even get to keep your current pre-paid number when you upgrade!
PS: Get a The Jungle Book-esque experience when you switch to myStarter Plan because Globe is raffling off a Palawan jungle adventure! Click here for deets.
3. Your back starts to hurt for no reason at all. Help.
4. The department store’s Home section is your new retail wonderland. Towels! Bed sheets! Scented candles!
5. You can eat ice cream for dinner and look at your mom straight in the eye while you bring the spoon to your mouth because she can’t tell you what to do anymore.
6. You can afford your own toiletries but gosh darn aren’t you glad when you get free stuff (from your tita abroad, from work, from samples) because shampoo and conditioner are expensive and you need to be smart with money, okay.
7. You have a rewards card that you actually use, and you insist that your friends who don’t have one use yours to earn points. (Please, I need it so I don’t have to pay for my shampoo and conditioner.)
8. You’ve given up on DIY-ing things that you can buy from the store or better, more talented makers. Sure, that table on Pinterest looks nice and very easy to make but is the money you can supposedly save really worth losing an entire weekend afternoon on? You could be reading instead. Or catching up on TV shows. Or sleeping.
Do you have any to add to the list?