You Know You’re REALLY An Adult When…

You Know You’re REALLY An Adult When… | blog.ditz-revolution.net

When I was young and naïve, I always thought life would have some sort of ceremony or a turning point that’ll explicitly mark the passage from bumbling teen to full-fledged adult. Like, I was 21 when I moved into my first condo and that could have been #mymoment… but my mom was paying for my rent. I started paying for my own rent at 25 and that could have been #mymoment… but my mom would still come over to clean my apartment. I’m fully financially independent now and maybe this is #mymoment… and does it really matter that I live with my mom???

Adulthood is an adventure and sometimes, it feels like an adventure (or field trip) that my parents didn’t sign the permission slip for. It wasn’t until a few years ago that it really sank in. Of course, there are moments when I am ridden with insecurity and struggle with this reality. I just have to gently remind myself that while I can still be a dainty baby crawling through life, at least I’m not helpless.

Need assurance that you’re really an adult now? Here are some things to clue you in!

1. You’ve developed solid political opinions and actually care about the coming national elections. Because dammit, you are a taxpayer and the results will actually be felt!

2. You bid good-bye to your days of running to the sari-sari store to get load because you now have a post-paid plan. Seriously, I consider walking out of the Globe Gateway store back in 2013 holding my new phone and post-paid sim card (plus a monthly bill under MY name) as one of my adult milestones.

It took 7 years after college for me to get my own post-paid line because I always thought I couldn’t afford it and I didn’t want to go through the hassle of proving that I could. I was also scared of going over my limit, which is what happened when I had my first line at 15.

Fortunately, getting a post-paid line is now easier and affordable with Globe’s myStarter Plan! A combination of pre-paid and post-paid, the myStarter plan allows you to stay in control of your plan because you pay a set amount monthly (PHP300 or PHP500) but you also have the option to top-up. You even get to keep your current pre-paid number when you upgrade!

PS: Get a The Jungle Book-esque experience when you switch to myStarter Plan because Globe is raffling off a Palawan jungle adventure! Click here for deets.

3. Your back starts to hurt for no reason at all. Help.

4. The department store’s Home section is your new retail wonderland. Towels! Bed sheets! Scented candles!

5. You can eat ice cream for dinner and look at your mom straight in the eye while you bring the spoon to your mouth because she can’t tell you what to do anymore.

6. You can afford your own toiletries but gosh darn aren’t you glad when you get free stuff (from your tita abroad, from work, from samples) because shampoo and conditioner are expensive and you need to be smart with money, okay.

7. You have a rewards card that you actually use, and you insist that your friends who don’t have one use yours to earn points. (Please, I need it so I don’t have to pay for my shampoo and conditioner.)

8. You’ve given up on DIY-ing things that you can buy from the store or better, more talented makers. Sure, that table on Pinterest looks nice and very easy to make but is the money you can supposedly save really worth losing an entire weekend afternoon on? You could be reading instead. Or catching up on TV shows. Or sleeping.

Do you have any to add to the list?

To learn more about the myStarter Plan, check out Globe on:
Facebook: facebook.com/globeph
Twitter: twitter.com/enjoyGLOBE
Instagram: instagram.com/enjoyglobe

• Reply Christine April 21, 2016 at 11:57 pm

Being an adult really sucks sometimes! Like doing your own groceries and cooking after you get home from work!! Hate that!

• Reply Louise Ramos April 22, 2016 at 12:37 am

I’m still on the ‘mom comes over to clean my apartment phase’. Haha. And when I go home she would always prepare groceries/food for me to bring when I leave, thinking I’m not feeding myself well enough! :)) Even though this seems like a sponsored post, I miss reading your blog entries. Would love to read more again from you soon. ????????

• Reply Alay April 22, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Paying bills under my name was the key indicator of #mymoment and buying a washing machine and refrigerator for my family :)

• Reply Lou April 23, 2016 at 12:22 am

Since I’m away from home because of college, I usually end up buying my own groceries – yes, sometimes with my own money since there’s already this conscience in me not to ask for my parents’ money anymore Haha. Also, I’ve been enduring a lot of backpains hahaha at 20, I guess adulthood hit me too early. I don’t know, I feel that way. Also, I pay for my little trips so ayun nawala na allowance lol.

• Reply Alex Carpio April 24, 2016 at 1:45 pm

This is so on point. For me, it was buying my own toiletries first, then the rewards card, and finally paying for my own rent! And the back pains! Yes… why does it hurt in the first place? Hehe!

• Reply Alissa April 25, 2016 at 9:50 am

I still live with my family and it sucks haha but I’m loking forward to living on my own on a different country. :) I pay some bills though and grocery shopping so that was I guess my indicator of being an adult already lol

• Reply Gellie April 25, 2016 at 4:23 pm

I think I’m already an adult… I feel like it’s so much better this way than when I do not have my freedom but there are times when I feel like I’ve become so boring.

I hate washing dishes and cleaning up but I need to do it. I have to schedule when I’d pay the bills and I actually had to turn off the aircon once I wake up in the morning because I am now affected of how my last electric bill is freakin’ 3k! Holy mother of… Oh, and I do groceries on weekdays… Bread, vegetables, toiletries… Mantika, suka, patis, asin… Shet.

I can’t wait til I move in with my fiance next year. I’d have someone to share the bills and the groceries then. Would I downgrade from being an adult by then? xD

• Reply Gayla April 28, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Its so ammusing how everything is so on-point! I can totally relate :)

• Reply Maroon Caludin May 3, 2016 at 8:02 am

The joys of adulthood. XD Makes you want to be a kid again!

I feel you with the back pain though. However, mine mostly wasn’t the same after I tumbled down the stairs trying to go potty at night. XD Plus all those years sleeping on the couch didn’t help.

• Reply Joyce May 5, 2016 at 1:17 am

# 4 is on point! Hahahaha. My cousins laugh at me cos I used to love clothes and shoes and makeup but now I prefer to go to Housewares section and buy the cute decors and sheets for my home. haha

• Reply Carmela Francel May 11, 2016 at 9:53 pm

“Adulthood is an adventure and sometimes, it feels like an adventure (or field trip) that my parents didn’t sign the permission slip for.”

Yes, Yes, YES. 100% true.

I remember when I wast talking to my Dad and complaining to him that I don’t deserve the salary I get from my work because I know I work harder than everyone else in the office, and the first thing he said to me is “Well, Anak, that’s called Adulthood.” Huhu. How to adult, please.

• Reply Angel June 6, 2016 at 3:44 pm

My most recent adult thing was buying my own A/C unit because damn this metro heat! Adulting can be exhausting at times noh what with all the responsibilities and shit.

• Reply Kyrell Pena June 14, 2016 at 4:41 pm

Can relate to this. HAHAHA. Now thinking about having a reward card for points & yeah totes sleeping instead of DIY-ing. :D #titaprobs

• Reply edelweiza August 17, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Spot-on! I swear, being on post-paid was #mymoment, too. Adulting is indeed hard but empowering. I say bring it on! :)